What do you play while waiting for next survival region?

peteloud

Since playing TLD about 4 years ago I have become a bit of a reclusive, one-game player.  Since then I have played TLD well over 4,500 hours.  No, I'm not a procrastinating student, nor an up-my-ass nut-case nerd, I am an old, retired, ex-IT professional, living alone, so I have no wifely pressures to redecorate the house or trim the lawn and with plenty of time to do what I enjoy, . 

I find the gaps between new regions coming out boring.  In these gaps I try other games, anything other than redecorating or washing the dishes.  I find other games interesting for a while, but soon tire of them.  I like games that are a mentally challenging, rather than blindly spraying bullets at endless hoardes of monsterous attackers, be they zombies or iron-clad, giant stormtroopers.

What I like is the attempted logical realism on TLD.  It can only bettered by Microsoft Flight Simiulator. Are there others who put a high priority on realism and intellectual challenge?

The reason I am writing this message is because I have got something completely wrong about TLD and HTL.  I was sure that that HTL would bring out the latest  'Survival'  update about now. Being Ist Dec. I wanted to watch the News & Updates Forum, for an announcement of the release date.  Alas I got this as wrong as when I  think I can kill a bear with one shot, and if I miss, run to a save location.

Back to playing FreeCell.

Edited by peteloud
Typos
  • Upvote 2

I have several sandboxes, all Pilgrim, that I play in rotation.  Sure they go over the same ground, not necessarily in the same order,  but I just deal with it.  About the time episode 4 came out, I had started yet another Pilgrim sandbox because by that time all of my usual sandboxes were then in Ash Canyon and I didn't want to bring them out of there just yet.   

This new sandbox has now gone through most of the regions (I did not go to Mountain Town/Milton or Hushed River Valley in any of my sandboxes for reasons) and excepting Bleak Inlet, has now started into Ash Canyon.   One thing I did with this sandbox was to force the Mystery Lake hunting cache to spawn (by dint of starting again and again).  I was surprised when I found that it had also spawned the hunting cache in Pleasant Valley (the first time I found that one).  

I expect to play each sandbox in rotation until I get them all to where the game ends, presumably Perseverance Mills.  Whether I then go to Milton and Hushed River Valley depends on reasons.  

I expect that I will tire of TLD at some point especially if nothing new is introduced but it has been a fine time-waster and recreation for me for years. At least I didn't have to do participate in repeated raiding or small fellowship actions to advance through it.  😀

• Like 1

I just finished playing a redux of an old classic Half Life, redone and now dubbed Black Mesa.  Sure there was some mindless killing involved, but it was pretty well balanced with a slew of logic puzzles and sleuthing of clues in order to move forward.  Gotta say the graphics of Xen were so improved it almost made the game Outerworlds look second rate.  other than that, been looking thru my list of 200 titles in my Steam library and haven't still haven't found anything worth while to occupy my time.  

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

A sprinkling of Fallout 76...

so, is it worth getting this game considering how poorly it was received by the gaming community?  Still plagued with problems?  worth shelling out $40 usd?  I'd pull the trigger if it was selling for $19.99 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

so, is it worth getting this game considering how poorly it was received by the gaming community?  Still plagued with problems?  worth shelling out $40 usd?  I'd pull the trigger if it was selling for $19.99 

Being an original Fallout fan (even the predecessor, 'Wasteland'), I've played them all from the beginning.  When 76 first came out, I was really disappointed and didn't play it again until about a month ago.  Yes, it's come a LONG way and I would recommend giving it another try.

43 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Being an original Fallout fan (even the predecessor, 'Wasteland'), I've played them all from the beginning.  When 76 first came out, I was really disappointed and didn't play it again until about a month ago.  Yes, it's come a LONG way and I would recommend giving it another try.

Yeah, I've played all the Fallouts and put a serious amount of time into FO4.  I had that game so heavily modded it was a wonder that it even launched!  I think I used well over 200 slots out of the available 250.  What I really miss most about that game is base building...  Not sure I wanna shell out $40 considering how close we are to the new regions release date.  When is that supposed to by the way?  

• Upvote 1

While I wait for the next Survival Update I have been reading some books on the exploration of Canada way back around 1820.  I have been particularly interested in the expeditions of John Franklin.  

Everybody knows about his sailing his ship the "Erebus" to try and find the North West Passage to the Pacific.  He disappeared without trace until about 10 years ago when some traces of him and his ship and crew were found.  That story has always attracted much attention, but what never attracts attention is his exploration of inland Canada 1819 -1827.  I have three books of these journeys which I read a few years ago.    On starting the first of these books about Franklin's inland travels in Canada again I felt the book needed a map to made the journeys more meaningful.  I couldn't find good maps of his trips on internet.  So I have been spending my time mapping Franklin's travels in Canada.

The books are available, free, from the Gutenberg Project. This is Vol. 2 of his first trip.
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18985
I mention this book because I have just read part of his trip back from the arctic coast towards an inland base, Chapter XII.  They had a hard time.  

Give it a read, if you have the time.  It puts TLD in perspective.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

A sprinkling of Fallout 76 but my current emphasis on Far Cry: Primal (it's been sitting in my Steam library for ages so was time to try it out).  Just finished up my playthrough on Cyberpunk 2077 as well - had some achievements I wanted to do.

Far cry primal is awesome. Have you tried the permadeath setting? I just don't see how I could finish the game in perma without years of practice.