This didn't go well

I_eat_only_wolf_meat

I can't recall it ever being worse.  I should have run for it as soon as the blizzard started, but I took shelter and hoped to ride it out with the six hours of wood I'd collected.  But it just kept getting worse and worse, and didn't stop for such a long time.  I couldn't get any more wood because stepping outside the hut was death.  Maybe if I'd had a bearskin sleeping bag I would have made it.

Sounds like the game wanted to kill you off either way! Seems to happen after a certain amount of time on a run! I usually get to around day 500 on pilgrim then things seem to go wrong and I start struggling when I shouldnt! 

Bear roll might be the best way forward !

Edited by Leeanda

It was custom, starting with the interloper presets, but with the following changes:

low -> medium base resources

very high -> high calorie consumption

very high -> high freezing rate

revolver available

rifle available

Kind of "stalker extreme", or "interloper light"

You have decent gear, but weather and animals are still pretty tough.  I think it's a nice compromise.

Yes, probably I could have run for it.  Instead I ran out and tried to get enough sticks to last a few hours, and that hurt my condition so much that I had to run back into the fishing hut where at least I was filtered from the wind.  I guess I was hoping the blizzard would let up but it never did.  Also, it didn't start out being quite that cold.

The right call would have been to warm up, like you said, and make a run for the mystery lake transition cave.  (I was at Pensive Pond)  I was afraid of getting lost in the whiteout but I probably would have made it since I know that region well.

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Yes, probably I could have run for it.  Instead I ran out and tried to get enough sticks to last a few hours, and that hurt my condition so much that I had to run back into the fishing hut where at least I was filtered from the wind.  I guess I was hoping the blizzard would let up but it never did.  Also, it didn't start out being quite that cold.

The right call would have been to warm up, like you said, and make a run for the mystery lake transition cave.  (I was at Pensive Pond)  I was afraid of getting lost in the whiteout but I probably would have made it since I know that region well.

Abandoning the Pensive Pond fishing hut for either the Mystery Lake Transition Cave or Pleasant Valley Farmhouse's barn would have been difficult.  Six hours of firewood should have been enough but bad luck intervened.  The circumstances you encountered remind me just how isolated Pensive Pond actually is.  Today as I traveled from the Farmhouse to the Mystery Lake Transition Cave I first stopped at Pensive Pond and put in a good stock of firewood at the hut - 7 pieces of fir wood and 80 sticks - before moving on to the Mystery Lake Transition.  20+ hours of wood should cover just about any storm.

17 hours ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Abandoning the Pensive Pond fishing hut for either the Mystery Lake Transition Cave or Pleasant Valley Farmhouse's barn would have been difficult.  Six hours of firewood should have been enough but bad luck intervened.  The circumstances you encountered remind me just how isolated Pensive Pond actually is.  Today as I traveled from the Farmhouse to the Mystery Lake Transition Cave I first stopped at Pensive Pond and put in a good stock of firewood at the hut - 7 pieces of fir wood and 80 sticks - before moving on to the Mystery Lake Transition.  20+ hours of wood should cover just about any storm.

Good strategy.  I might try that in a few other locations in PV, because the weather there seems especially unpredictable and dangerous.

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat

Bummer! I assume you didn't have the wind chill factor in the hut?

Rather than cashing wood all over the place, I recommend carrying a piece or more of 'emergency' coal. Even in a blizzard you can find a sheltered nook and start a fire with a handful of sticks then crank it warm enough to sustain you with a piece of coal or two.

13 hours ago, Stone said:

Bummer! I assume you didn't have the wind chill factor in the hut?

Rather than cashing wood all over the place, I recommend carrying a piece or more of 'emergency' coal. Even in a blizzard you can find a sheltered nook and start a fire with a handful of sticks then crank it warm enough to sustain you with a piece of coal or two.

That's right, no wind chill in the hut.  I often carry 15 or more sticks so I can make a snow shelter, or start a small fire.

I often leave stores of wood at key locations as I travel through regions... it makes it frustrating when Hinterland needs to tweak a region and moves 'em all into the lost and found boxes :)

The note about a couple of pieces of emergency coal is also well taken, esp when playing with max coldness over time, like in interloper.

At the Pensive Pond, I'd've definitely gone for the cave... but I've also had survivors live in that cave for several months at a time (try it it's one of the better locations to live in PV so much wood in the area and good quality fir not that cheap cedar crap ;) ) so I'm intimately familiar with the surroundings.

And yeah... PV is pretty much the region where six hours of wood might not be enough to get through a blizzard; pretty much any other region you'd've lived.

Coal is the answer to surviving in very cold temperatures.  Immediately your fire is burning, before you load on any wood, add a couple of bits of coal.  The coal will boost the temperature by around 50 degrees.  Then when you add wood that high temperature will be maintained, even increased.

I think that the most difficult to survive, very cold night that I have experienced, (playing Stalker), was in that fishing hut at Pensive Pond.  As soon as I get to PV I build up a stock of wood, and a couple of bits of coal, in the hut so that if storm suddenly breaks when I am there, I am prepared for it. 

PV can be a very cold place.  One time I was stuck in the cave from Winding River, (it was Stalker, 500+ days), for three nights and two days. I was probably well equipped etc.  but I did not dare venture out of the cave into PV as the storm was so bad and went on and on and on.

Oh When, Oh When !  is the Blackrock region going to come out in Survival.  I have been driven to play a variety of games that are highly regarded by many, games that are recent, 50GB, and cost a fortune.  The games have beautiful scenery and lots of characters with faces that are more detailed than in real life, but the games are so unrealistic.  I survive battles in which I should have been chopped into little pieces.  I can never find arrow that I fire that miss their target, then a few minutes later a bonus batch of arrows appears in front of me.  Same with food and so and so on.  TLD is the only game that I can think of that tries to be realistice, (by game standards).  It has the most discerning players, or at least contributors to this forum, (or is that the most complaining 😉).   Playing these other games makes me realise how good TLD is.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1