Episode 5 - Thoughts

hozz1235

On the surface, I'm very much looking forward to the finale of the story, but when I think about it further, I'm kind of dreading it.  Could it be the end of TLD?  What will HL choose to work on next?  Will there ever be another game which compares to TLD?  

While HL was committed to bringing us all 5 episodes, we were pretty sure (unless the company sacked) we would be getting more content, but now?  Until we hear from @Raphael van Lierop, nothing is for certain.  If I bummed you out..sorry!

Really, you can only go so far with every game. I would consider The Long Dark a finished game once all 5 episodes are completed (it also hurts me to say that). However, I'm not saying Hinterland can't continue to improve the game and add updates. I really hope they aren't finished when episode 5 is released, but at the same time, I would be very interested in seeing what other games they can come up with. 

What I would like to know is: even if they begin development on another game, will Hinterland still update The Long Dark every once in a while? Such as a couple times a year, we get a survival mode update? 

31 minutes ago, Pencil said:

Really, you can only go so far with every game.

True, and I don't expect it to be updated with new content for years and years to come.  I guess I'm more referring to the genre or "feel" of TLD.  Look at Fallout (or any other long-lasting series) - it's been around in one form or another for decades!

28 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

If you truly love this game then it will never go away!  Computers will crash and burn consoles and controllers will be replaced many times but The Long Dark will never fade!🙂

The one thing that cannot fade into the Long Dark is The Long Dark itself

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, peteloud said:

There are so many loose ends relating to people to clear up I have a feeling the Episode 5 is going to be more about people than survival in harsh conditions.  I hope I am wrong.

Keep in mind, episode 5 will be the final episode that HL promised to release.  This doesn't mean it is necessarily the end of the story...

Edited by hozz1235

I've been playing TLD off and on pretty much since it came out.  I've taken plenty of breaks off and on and typically play whenever a new region is added or during some special event, like Winter in July and Escape the DarkWalker.  My preferences are more in line with first person shooter games that combine action and base building as I love those types of games, but TLD puts a special spin on the genre that's for sure.   @hozz1235, you mention the Fallout franchise and honestly I could see TLD having that kind of depth and longevity.  

So far so good and now I eagerly look forward to experiencing that final episode and hopefully they are able to tie all the loose ends together and really bring the story 
to a well explained conclusion.    

and now for my little rant...

If and when there's a TLD II in the future,  I hope the world environment is a lot more accessible in terms or player interactions.  I want to be able to move crates and planks and stack them, be able to place objects on the top shelf and if its not too much to ask for, be able to jump up a couple of feet so I can clamber up a little ledge or jump up on the hood of car.  Maybe, just maybe, when the fat lady sings her final song as the story is wrapped up, the modding community will be welcomed with open arms and some of things we've all read and commented on in the wish list will finally come to fruition!    

And if it's not to much to ask, can we maybe finally be able to sit down? 
oh, one more thing!  Can I get a third person view?  I'd really like to see myself walking across the frozen landscape as I'm being stalked by a pack of wolves...