Fast travel

Leeanda

Seems to me that fast travel seems to be popular with some players who most likely would prefer to avoid running into hostile wildlife while enroute.
But wouldn't it be funny  if Hinterland did put a fast travel feature in the game, however, your condition would be affected by all the variables that you would have been exposed to had you walked from one location to another.  So you end up fast traveling from say the Gold Mine at Ash Canyon all the way to the Quonset Garage on Coastal Highway, but your dead on arrival, from hypothermia, lack of sleep, starvation and dehydration and of course broken ribs from the moose attack, oh and did I mention you've sprained both ankles and both wrists.  
Your poor busted up corpse looks kinda like those skeletons they find in those space movies when space explorers hibernation pods malfunction on those long interplanetary space flights...  

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Seems to me that fast travel seems to be popular with some players who most likely would prefer to avoid running into hostile wildlife while enroute.
But wouldn't it be funny  if Hinterland did put a fast travel feature in the game, however, your condition would be affected by all the variables that you would have been exposed to had you walked from one location to another.  So you end up fast traveling from say the Gold Mine at Ash Canyon all the way to the Quonset Garage on Coastal Highway, but your dead on arrival, from hypothermia, lack of sleep, starvation and dehydration and of course broken ribs from the moose attack, oh and did I mention you've sprained both ankles and both wrists.  
Your poor busted up corpse looks kinda like those skeletons they find in those space movies when space explorers hibernation pods malfunction on those long interplanetary space flights...  

Sounds like loper then without taking weeks to achieve! Only useful if you want to travel 5 metres !😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

The best way to implement fast travel - if it were to be implemented- would be through the mine system but it should be unidirectional so people can’t just constantly avoid wildlife and other threats especially on interloper. It should also only be available in mid to late game when players are pretty established anyway.

Ideally the player would start at a point of higher elevation such as mine in ash canton for example and could travel via mine tunnels to say the mine from PV to CH or from PV to ML or even the mine from OIC to DP.  Maybe paths become available after a certain time point (100 days) and again they are unidirectional by elevation- at some point travel has to mountaingoat down but can’t climb back up  

even then the mine travel should be in real time, the traveler will need to provide light source or risk being trapped in the dark and will need sufficient food and water for the trips. 
   More of a shortcut than fast travel and not a totally safe one at that but the infrastructure is already there to do this. 

Edited by Lord of the Long Dark

Global time acceleration would probably be the best way to implement fast travel while preserving game balance. Hold down a key and the entire game speeds up by 3x or whatever. If you're not paying attention and blunder into a wolf while in accelerated time, that's on you. But it would turn that endless slog across the muskeg from an exercise in holding W for 5 minutes, into something less tedious.

• Upvote 7

I don't know about fast LAND travel but maybe a kind of fast BOAT travel to move from specified location in one ocean region to another specified location in another ocean region.  I can foresee fewer issues with boat travel than with land travel.  That would kind of limit it to Perseverance Mills, Coastal Highway, Bleak Inlet, Crumbling Highway, and Desolation Point. 

Fast land travel would likely have to be from specified point to specified point for any kind of user instigated at will fast travel will undoubtedly include players using it to escape wolves, bears, moose, and blizzards unless there were consequences to using it in that fashion.  Players have wanted to run all over the place and user controlled fast travel would kind of give them that. 

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Global time acceleration would probably be the best way to implement fast travel while preserving game balance. Hold down a key and the entire game speeds up by 3x or whatever. If you're not paying attention and blunder into a wolf while in accelerated time, that's on you. But it would turn that endless slog across the muskeg from an exercise in holding W for 5 minutes, into something less tedious.

That's actually a pretty darn good idea.  As I recall, it was the communities constant nagging about the tedious slogs which is why auto walk was finally implemented.  
I second this motion!  You should probably repost this idea on the wish list, I'd give it an upvote!  It's brilliant!

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

That's actually a pretty darn good idea.  As I recall, it was the communities constant nagging about the tedious slogs which is why auto walk was finally implemented.  
I second this motion!  You should probably repost this idea on the wish list, I'd give it an upvote!  It's brilliant!

Damn it! You beat me to it! You said it better than I would've too!🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:52 PM, ajb1978 said:

'Sonic' mod. 

• Upvote 2