I feel like the new episode could have been better. (Spoilers)

Jrod7405

Spoilers

I really enjoyed the newest episode in the long dark but I personally feel like it could have been really awesome. I think it would have been a cool concept where you are able to join the prisoners side and be able to give in to the fact that you can be kings in the world or help those you care about. I'm kind of disappointed that this episode could have been so much better especially after waiting so long for the episode. I did really like the episode and world building I just feel like it could have been a lot better

Yes but that is not Mckenzie at the end of the day. I do think this whole episode lacked a bit of the mystery the previous episodes did. Which was kinda disapointing, but then it gets explained that theres probably a scientific reason behind the whole aurora thing. So I don't think that its that much of an issue. Also McKenzie wants to get the case to astrid at the end of the day. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SladeyGaming said:

Yes but that is not Mckenzie at the end of the day. I do think this whole episode lacked a bit of the mystery the previous episodes did. Which was kinda disapointing, but then it gets explained that theres probably a scientific reason behind the whole aurora thing. So I don't think that its that much of an issue. Also McKenzie wants to get the case to astrid at the end of the day. 

I know its not who McKenzie is but I thought it would have been a more interesting story if Mckenzie gave in to the wild and broke because he let it change him and him giving into it 

3 hours ago, Jrod7405 said:

I know its not who McKenzie is but I thought it would have been a more interesting story if Mckenzie gave in to the wild and broke because he let it change him and him giving into it 

As a writer, I can say I actually appreciate that the devs did NOT go that route. It is so imperative to a narrative that you maintain consistency and continuity with characters. Growth is fine. Flaws are also fine. Failures are fine. But ultimately altering a character's nature to the point you're suggesting would be so diametrically opposed to the narrative, it would absolutely have ruined the story for me. Mack is the good guy - the boy scout, as Matthis points out. Even at the end, he chooses flight, over fight, and this is very much a character based choice. He would rather protect Jace than take out a potential threat. It's also the reason he didn't just bounce as soon as Matthis's goonsquad let him out of his cell. He could've just wandered off, left everything behind and been safe. But he didn't, because he knew the importance of the case to Astrid and he's determined to see it through. 

Him teaming up with a bunch of sadistic murders and probably worse would not have made any sense narratively - even factoring in the psychological drag of all he's been through. 

Edited by ElleJoy
typo
  • Upvote 6

• Admin changed the title to I feel like the new episode could have been better. (Spoilers)

I was hoping going into it that the aurora would have a noticeable effect on the convicts, like it does on the hostile wildlife...a rage amplifier, so to speak, so that those particularly prone to rage would have turned wildly insane and maybe glowed green during auroras as well. I guess that didn't happen. It would've certainly been interesting though.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:11 PM, ElleJoy said:

As a writer, I can say I actually appreciate that the devs did NOT go that route. It is so imperative to a narrative that you maintain consistency and continuity with characters. Growth is fine. Flaws are also fine. Failures are fine. But ultimately altering a character's nature to the point you're suggesting would be so diametrically opposed to the narrative, it would absolutely have ruined the story for me. Mack is the good guy - the boy scout, as Matthis points out. Even at the end, he chooses flight, over fight, and this is very much a character based choice. He would rather protect Jace than take out a potential threat. It's also the reason he didn't just bounce as soon as Matthis's goonsquad let him out of his cell. He could've just wandered off, left everything behind and been safe. But he didn't, because he knew the importance of the case to Astrid and he's determined to see it through. 

Him teaming up with a bunch of sadistic murders and probably worse would not have made any sense narratively - even factoring in the psychological drag of all he's been through. 

I completely understand what your saying which is why I would have wanted it to be a choice rather than it forces you to join, like giving you the easy route by joining the safety and security of the prison inmates at the cost of you hurting everyone you love, I just thought that the story would have been better if it gave us that choice

In the end, the game is like a novel we read. Once we are wishing for a more diverse or different run of the story but we are situated at the receiving side.
And for my part I was very happy with EP4. The wait was long, indeed. Let us hope we will have EP5 availiable a bit sooner.

Edited by mfuegemann
typo