How has TLD benefitted your daily life?

ajb1978

Today I realized, this game has turned me into something of a prepper. Not a doomsday prepper because who the heck wants to live past that? But an emergency prepper. Today I found out the water to the building is being shut off...while I was in the middle of washing my hands. And because this game has me thinking of worst case scenarios, I have 5 gallons of water sitting on a shelf in the closet, next to two cases of MRE's. Now 4 gallons, because I cracked one open to finish rinsing my hands.

• Upvote 1

Question! Where can you buy MREs?  Didn't even think you could! 

Must admit I'm a bit of a hoarder, but only practical things! Food in bulk, loo roll etc.. (Well I do have a large amount of soft toys too if I'm honest). But I can't blame the game for it!.  The only thing this game has turned me into is a bloodthirsty bear killer! But it does keep me a bit more sane especially over the last few years!

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Question! Where can you buy MREs?  Didn't even think you could! 

I just got these on Amazon, still totally legal to buy military surplus! It has to do with when you buy them. MRE's are manufactured by private companies, who then sell the majority to the military. But they don't know how many the military will want, so they intentionally overproduce. The military buys what they need, then the companies sell the surplus off to whoever will buy it. It's illegal to take an MRE that the military bought and re-sell it, but perfectly legal to buy the surplus from the manufacturer. Which is where Amazon comes in.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

I just got these on Amazon, still totally legal to buy military surplus! It has to do with when you buy them. MRE's are manufactured by private companies, who then sell the majority to the military. But they don't know how many the military will want, so they intentionally overproduce. The military buys what they need, then the companies sell the surplus off to whoever will buy it. It's illegal to take an MRE that the military bought and re-sell it, but perfectly legal to buy the surplus from the manufacturer. Which is where Amazon comes in.

Thanks for that! I'll have to have a look!. Have you actually tried one? Or are you saving them for an acid rainy day?

Edited by Leeanda

Just now, Leeanda said:

Thanks for that! I'll have to have a look!. Have you actually tried one? Or afe you saving them for an acid rainy day?

Oh I've been doing the MRE thing for about a decade now. They don't have an indefinite shelf life, so as their expiration comes up I order a new set then eat the old ones.

Some are better than others, but on the whole they aren't bad. I wouldn't want to forego fresh-cooked meals in favor of an MRE mind you, but they are definitely way better than they were 20 years ago. Vomelet...*shudder* I miss the mini tabasco bottles though...now it's just a foil packet of some generic hot sauce.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

Oh I've been doing the MRE thing for about a decade now. They don't have an indefinite shelf life, so as their expiration comes up I order a new set then eat the old ones.

Some are better than others, but on the whole they aren't bad. I wouldn't want to forego fresh-cooked meals in favor of an MRE mind you, but they are definitely way better than they were 20 years ago. Vomelet...*shudder* I miss the mini tabasco bottles though...now it's just a foil packet of some generic hot sauce.

Now I know why UK soldiers carry sauce packets! Vomelet  doesn't sound like the best thing to give anyone let alone our brave lads and lasses!

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Now I know why UK soldiers carry sauce packets! Vomelet  doesn't sound like the best thing to give anyone let alone our brave lads and lasses!

"Veggie Omelet" which was....well... let's just say when you open the packet, it looked like someone else already ate it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Leeanda said:

Gross! 😃 Wondering if I should bother looking on Amazon now!

Oh like I said the modern ones are pretty decent. But if you want actually awesome MRE's, buy from the French. Those guys know good grub. The US stuff will keep you alive and be palatable, but French MRE's are delicious.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That's true! The French really know their onions when it comes to food! (Sorry about that)!

My brain hurts lol

But seriously though, US MRE's are probably the easiest to acquire and most affordable for what you get, and in general you really can't go wrong buying US military surplus. And I'm not saying that because I'm in the US or because I work for the defense department myself. It's genuinely good stuff. We wouldn't spend billions on total crap. It's not the best of the best, but definitely high quality and worth keeping a stash of.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Sorry I deleted that cos it sounded stereotyped and basically just wrong! There was no offence meant!  

But yes the French really do know how to cook!

Oh no offense was taken, but it WAS a facepalmey joke on the order of "Yo momma so stupid it took her two hours to watch 60 minutes!"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

The French RCIR (short for "Ration de Combat Individuelle Rechauffable") are absolutely higher quality, but maaaaan you will definitely pay extra buying those! Doesn't matter where you live, they're just objectively more expensive.

I was thinking of the shipping costs.  They're pretty random on some of Amazon's products! 

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I was thinking of the shipping costs.  They're pretty random on some of Amazon's products! 

Eh I suppose that comes down to quantity. Buying one RCIR somewhere in the EU is probably going to be cheaper as a unit. But if you're buying quantity, buying US MRE's case A and B (24 units total) will probably be cheaper even with overseas shipping.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Eh I suppose that comes down to quantity. Buying one RCIR somewhere in the EU is probably going to be cheaper as a unit. But if you're buying quantity, buying US MRE's case A and B (24 units total) will probably be cheaper even with overseas shipping.

Actually just had a quick look on Amazon. Mainly from uk, no French and only one from US. The american one said it was a collectors item! Not sure how that works with food!?  All free shipping but the UK ones are  nearly twice the price! But most never mentioned the amounts!

18 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Quite the conversation between you two there! :) 

I've always been somewhat of a prepper.  I guess that's one of the things I love about TLD.

Yeh! So romantic discussing ration packs! Behave! It's called an intelligent conversation,besides my heart belongs to someone else! I mean no offence to ajb either, he's a very nice person!

Edited by Leeanda

On 9/22/2021 at 12:12 PM, Leeanda said:

Yeh! So romantic discussing ration packs! Behave! It's called an intelligent conversation,besides my heart belongs to someone else! I mean no offence to ajb either, he's a very nice person!

Wasn't really implying anything, just making an observation...

2 years ago, the Long Dark really helped me through rough times by getting me in it's beautiful frozen wilderness

It didn't change me but I do remember all of this almost as real trips

As I mentionned in my  intro back then , I am still amazed how immersive and realistic this game is and how its specific graphics and mechanics are an asset

❤️

• Like 1

Besides all the side talk about MRE, TLD has made me aware of what I pack when going out of my home. In Vancouver where I live it is easy to just look out the window to check the weather, dress accordingly and go off to work. But TLD has made me more aware of what could happen that I didn't plan for. In TLD I plan for everything from blizzard to moose stomping, but IRL I seldom did. The reality is that a few times the transit has broken down costing me hours of standing in the cold rain with no food and inadequate clothing. Or worse... what if the 9.0 earthquake we are forecasted for happens. If I am downtown and I don't die, I will somehow have to walk back home some 15k through a totally broken landscape either boiling hot or freezing rain with zombies wanting the emergency supplies from my conspicuous red backpack (purchased from Costco for just this purpose.) 

At the very least I learned to make sure I try to pee before getting on the Skytrain.