Why all the HRV hate?

straffin

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't think I would want to try to run through thorny bushes without cutting them down first... clothing ripped to shreds and a multitude of cuts.  I think requiring a hatchet is quite realistic.  It could possibly be done with a knife, but it would take a lot of time and a person would probably still get several cuts in the process.  Perhaps they just need to make them look denser and thornier.  Perhaps they could have also labeled them differently - thorny bush or bramble bush and have them damage clothing or the character if touched, but allowing for a way for the player to navigate through them at the cost of clothing or injury.

The right tool for this job is a brush axe.  Or a machete, I guess.  It could easily be a "forge-able" item.

Edited by I_eat_only_wolf_meat

53 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

The right tool for this job is a brush axe.  Or a machete, I guess.  It could easily be a "forge-able" item.

Do you really want them to add another tool into the game just to deal with the brush in HRV (and the little bit of it that is also in Bleak Inlet)?  Or would you prefer they do away with the natural looking bushes and put up man-made wooden barricades that we chop down with the hatchet? 

Or would you prefer they just let open the trail up and let us pass?

I have just been trekking around HRV in a straight Stalker game that recently started.  I'm probably around day 320.  I have high skill levels and good clothing.

I have found HRV very easy this time.  I have had so little trouble I am puzzled.  I had very few wolf attacks, killing one or two bears was easy, and the weather wasn't too bad.

I can't work why.  The only reasons I can think of is that it was a little over 300 days, perhaps the things become much more hostile beyond 500 or 1,000 days which I am more used to.  Alternatively it could be that I am so familiar with the map that I subconciously avoid the problems.  Perhaps I was just lucky with the randomisation.

Edited by peteloud

16 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I have just been trekking around HRV in a straight Stalker game that recently started.  I'm probably around day 270.  I have high skill levels and good clothing.

I have found HRV very easy this time.  I have had so little trouble I am puzzled.  I had very few wolf attacks, killing one or two bears was easy, and the weather wasn't too bad.

I can't work why.  The only reasons I can think of is that it was under 300 days, perhaps the things become much more hostile beyond 500 or 1,000 days which I am more used to.  Alternatively it could be that I am so familiar with the map that I subconciously avoid the problems.

@Leeanda  has noted a similar drop in wolf presence in Pilgrim mode.  So far, my custom games (with increased wolf spawns) seem to have about the same number of wolves spawning as before the update; but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't some sort of bug in the standard settings or on the lower wolf-spawn custom settings.

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

@Leeanda  has noted a similar drop in wolf presence in Pilgrim mode.  So far, my custom games (with increased wolf spawns) seem to have about the same number of wolves spawning as before the update; but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't some sort of bug in the standard settings or on the lower wolf-spawn custom settings.

I've just started a new custom pilgrim run and maxed out the wolves. Even though I'm on day 4  I've only seen the same amount of wolves on the map. So from medium to high there is no difference at all.  

So in my opinion it's a bug of some sort.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I've just started a new custom pilgrim run and maxed out the wolves. Even though I'm on day 4  I've only seen the same amount of wolves on the map. So from medium to high there is no difference at all.  

So in my opinion it's a bug of some sort.

I'm guessing there is still some sort of randomness based on the settings.  Perhaps the zone you are currently in, you've gotten lucky.  Move to the next zone and they could be rampant!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah hushed river valley is nice except for the taunting in the land of inescapable death! #moanarefrence 

But seriously I like it but even on voyager it's impossible to survive if you need better stuff from more plentiful regions interloper players have to be op  to survive there in the early game I know I couldn't as someone who has never survived more than 2 journal days on interloper you must be amazing if you make it out of there #oof

And I'm the only one in my family that's gotten out of bleak inlet and gotten the first grave on as the dead sleep (went to get the stim in the ravine and came back with a marine flare in my hand and a wolf was immune to it  and almost killed me after if used the stim [if I hadn't is probably be killed by the wolf anyway]I'm ranting aren't i)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

And I'm the only one in my family that's gotten out of bleak inlet and gotten the first grave on as the dead sleep (went to get the stim in the ravine and came back with a marine flare in my hand and a wolf was immune to it  and almost killed me after if used the stim [if I hadn't is probably be killed by the wolf anyway]I'm ranting aren't i)

Glad you made it! I've never even tried it. Played Whiteout once and got killed  by a bear after about an hour of playing.  Walked straight into it outside the back door of Quonset! Lol😁 

No you're not ranting. I like your enthusiasm for the game.🙂

HRV is a great interloper start; all the top tier stuff available in interloper is available on the map, once you know where to find it. I love HRV; while it's challenging the amount of natural resources on that map is off the hook.

I suspect that the earlier poster is right about stuff going when the corpses go; that's a definite bug in the latest release and it causes a tremendous amount of loot to despawn before the player can get to it and there are a LOT of bodies in HRV. The bug looks to me like they all despawn (along with any ravaged deer carcasses) three days after the player enters a region for the first time, as if they were normal animal carcasses killed by the player.... fwiw.

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Glad you made it! I've never even tried it. Played Whiteout once and got killed  by a bear after about an hour of playing.  Walked straight into it outside the back door of Quonset! Lol😁 

No you're not ranting. I like your enthusiasm for the game.🙂

Lol I'm to scared to go near whiteout cuz my fam will want in on it and I get stressed of killing them ... Again I killed them once in Jonas at the absolute last moment by saying strike hmm 😒 thar should shoot a wolf in a struggle... It didn't and we died but anyway  and I didn't survive THE LAND OF INNESCABABLE Death! I died from a 6 inch fall after falling down like 25 feet and getting only MINOR brusing

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

People always want an easy, convenient experience, with everything handed to them, so they can join a forum and complain how boring the game is.

Seriously: I've been placing HRV at the top of the charts for many years, and I still think it's Hinterlands best map, and one of prime examples of level design done well and right in all of gaming. It's a masterpiece.

34 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

People always want an easy, convenient experience, with everything handed to them, so they can join a forum and complain how boring the game is.

Seriously: I've been placing HRV at the top of the charts for many years, and I still think it's Hinterlands best map, and one of prime examples of level design done well and right in all of gaming. It's a masterpiece.

just because I don't like going there it doesn't mean it's not well designed! That's probably why I don't go. It's a confusing maze of a place to me ,so whoever designed it did an excellent job! 🙂  

On 3/2/2022 at 3:33 AM, Leeanda said:

just because I don't like going there it doesn't mean it's not well designed! That's probably why I don't go. It's a confusing maze of a place to me ,so whoever designed it did an excellent job! 🙂  

Yes, @Leeanda, it is probably the most difficult map to navigate initially.  I forced myself to spend all the time necessary there until I felt comfortable with it.

3 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yes, @Leeanda, it is probably the most difficult map to navigate initially.  I forced myself to spend all the time necessary there until I felt comfortable with it.

I tried that early on in the game. Ran around for quite a while doing the cartography achievement.  After that I never really went back  because there was no need to on Pilgrim or custom runs! . It is very well designed but I just find it too claustrophobic. Probably why  I like PV so much,  because  it's so open .