Sleeping in ice caves in Hushed River Valley

acada

After long time playing I decided it is time to try long time life in the HRV. My previous visits were just in and out with very little sleeping. Now I am trying to explore it more. So I went to the ice cave one evening, thinking I would be able to sleep inside. I searched here and there inside, but I was not able to put sleeping bag anywhere inside. I had to go out and find another cave, common one.

So the question is: Is this by design? Was it like this all the time? I was not able to find any information here.

P.S. I was able to cope with disorientation in Ash Canyon pretty well. But HRV is harder for me. No doubt I will became more oriented after while. But for now it is hard. For example I was aiming for the mysterious fire from the start. I could see a smoke near Many Falls Vista. So I thought, it is easy. How I ended in Monolith lake I dont know.

The ice caves (there are two of them) are huge. And yes you can sleep inside. There are large caverns at some point too. But even in the narrow areas you can place a sleeping bag

There are also some very nice outdoor caves. There is a great cave near the end of Stairsteps Lake that's very centrally located in that subregion. Monolith Lake is also nice, but a bit isolated.

I could see a smoke near Many Falls Vista. So I thought, it is easy

It's pretty simply once you've figured out the map

Edited by Serenity

Hmm I had to be doing something wrong or my game is bugged. I literally went through one which has one entry right north from Long Shot Falls with my sleeping bag in front of me. It cost me almost whole lamp of oil. And found no spot. The bag was sliding under some ice blocks sometimes. Was even in some bigger caverns, which should be enough, but no luck.

True is my current game started well before the Ash Canyon and 3rd story part was released. I am this kind of player :D . I can see some artifacts from landscape moving in other maps.

Hmm, if you can replicate that you might want to submit this to the technical support section. 

I've been doing some long term time in HRV with my oldest tenured survivor and slept in the Ice caves many times over the past couple weeks, no issues finding spots for my bedroll in any occasion. This might be a bug, so I'd recommend you to spawn a pilgrim character there and try to sleep in the caves, if you're unable, please consider submitting a bug to technical support.

PS: HRV is an amazing region, it surpassed TWM as my favourite a while back. 

I will try it to repro when I am playing TLD.

HRV seems to be great. But I feel the character cannot rest fully. I mean, there is always possibility a stray wolf will come to the cave the character is sleeping. And it will be breakffast for wolf and funeral for Astrid.

You can sleep just as safe in any warm open cave as in caves with a loading screen. It applies for HRV as well as the other regions. In fact, the ice caves in HRV may be less safe considering their shaggy inhabitant. In open caves like to sleep behind the cave rock as far inside as you can get, never with active "smell bars" and have yet to experience a wolfy wake-up shitshow. 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Has anyone had bear or wolf come into an open cave to attack you. I've never seen one doing it?

If you're being pursued by a predator and enter an open cave they'll follow you. If you try and dwell inside a bear's cave you'll encounter it's owner there shortly.  

So basically I should be more or less safe in the cave for example on Monolith Cave. It is pretty far from wolf and bear territory. And I definitelly will not go sleep if pursued. I usually dont keep fire whole night. It is voyager difficulty and my clothing is enough to keep me above freezing even during blizzard. The other question is if moose can wander in. I have seen scrapings, but no moose yet.

Funny thing. I have checked the temperature "map" in the cave. There are some strange changes. Usually the place far back is the warmest. Not this one. There is cold outsidish place. Then there is warm place right behind the inner-outer line. It is followed by slightly warm zone and then the back of the cave is cold.

I will try to explore ice caves again. But real life happens and I have to spend 3 weeks without TLD.

• Like 1

There is one or two spots where you have a wolf wandering around the cave, but having someone come in from outside, that won't happen because it's considered a 'separate map' with loading screen. You will usually hear the wolf if he's nearby. Very creepy btw in the darkness.

There is another spot where a wolf might spawn, which would be similar to ice caves. It's in desolation point on the far end in the cave behind the bridge. It's also a loading screen cave and you can possibly encounter a wolf there.

Sleep tight : ) don't let the wolfies bite! (Kidding!!)

I know I should be safe-ish in ice caves. If Fluffy or Scruffy are not present. But for now I have to sleep in open caves without loading screen. To be honest I got mauled during sleep only once. It was during Dark Walker event. And it was not in cave.

All my previous runs ended because I was reckles. I want this one over 500 days. Maybe 1000.

1 hour ago, acada said:

I know I should be safe-ish in ice caves. If Fluffy or Scruffy are not present. But for now I have to sleep in open caves without loading screen. To be honest I got mauled during sleep only once. It was during Dark Walker event. And it was not in cave.

All my previous runs ended because I was reckles. I want this one over 500 days. Maybe 1000.

Well I hope you make it that far!