Ability to grow plants indoors (tea...)

FreeSTONE

Probably eventually.  This has been suggested in the past in various forms. 

The actual intended game was constrained by the needs of Wintermute.  A very limited period of time of maybe a few game-weeks from beginning to end.  That leaves a big hole in survival mode in the range of things that can be done in survival mode which has a life span of game-years.  

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, odizzido said:

You can totally eat dandelions.

Absolutely not. The stem is used in the preparation. By the way, I tried them. and I didn't like it. It is better to have onions, lettuce leaves, dill, parsley. But all this is not food, it is a seasoning and a vitamin supplement to the diet.

4 hours ago, odizzido said:

As for growing plants inside I say yes as long as the house is heated which means we need a house heating mechanic.

You take the firewood, put it in the stove, light it and oplya! The house is heated.  And the game turns into an endless patching of firewood and maintaining the temperature.

This game is not among the trees. there won't be a couple of days to grow dandelions. they will grow for 7, 14, 28, 56 days at least. No casual. Only hardcore.

🙂

You can eat the roots too. Every part of the dandelion is edible. I can't find any good nutritional info on the roots though. I find it likely to be similar to other root veggies though in terms of calories, so maybe 740kcal/kg. That's the average of parsnips, beets, potato, and sweet potato.

Also the house doesn't get any warmer when there is a fire going inside. There is no mechanic for this currently.

As to the game turning into an endless patching of firewood, well, it would depend on how long the fire lasts and how long the house takes to cool down. It could be once every couple days, or maybe every couple mins. There is quite a range.

3 hours ago, odizzido said:

You can eat the roots too. Every part of the dandelion is edible. I can't find any good nutritional info on the roots though. I find it likely to be similar to other root veggies though in terms of calories, so maybe 740kcal/kg. That's the average of parsnips, beets, potato, and sweet potato.

Also the house doesn't get any warmer when there is a fire going inside. There is no mechanic for this currently.

As to the game turning into an endless patching of firewood, well, it would depend on how long the fire lasts and how long the house takes to cool down. It could be once every couple days, or maybe every couple mins. There is quite a range.

Good. I agree with you. Dandelion is useful,. They use leaves and stems. They make something like honey out of concrete. The root is used as a medicinal product with an antispasmodic choleretic effect.

It is important that if you make a new indoor heating system. This will have to be done everywhere. That is, it will affect the existing mechanics. I do not know how this will affect the current state of the game.

However, I think that it would be logical that a warmed-up room gradually loses its heat. I would probably not refuse such an effect.

A small indoor greenhouse construct. Takes a few fidgety resources to build (but lasts a long time) and then some time to grow a couple of vegetables which you then have the option eat straight up (quick food boost), prepare with some meat (hearty meal) or pickle / preserve (lasts a long time and comes with an additional bit of a boost). Requires some form of heat / indoor and a bit of water to work. Perhaps grow rates boost during an aurora, but perhaps that's too gimmicky.

Perhaps a survival game would have 1-2 of them (max 3?), depending. A rotation of 1 or 2 would give you enough as part of your diet. It shouldn't need constant monitoring. It doesn't feel like something you'd need 5 or 6 of, but hey, if you want to start a farm, then off you do.

This idea may have been partly helped along by "This War of Mine", which I played recently, but pickling vegetables in game, I've thought of for some time.

Edited by yogi
  • Upvote 2

This is very similar to the wish that was posted by @The Doctor titled "greenhouses."

As to maintaining indoor temperatures, easy enough to do considering the farmhouse in PV was once heated by steam radiators.  Would be easy enough to get the old system back on line, once running, maintenance would be easy.   wasn't coal mining a big industry back in the day?  seems that our survivor would be prospecting for coal instead of gold!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...