New to Stalker

Sus-wolf

I started my first survival save on Stalker.

I developed a risk for intestinal parasites from eating too much wolf meat.

Can I eat wolf meat on occasion and avoid it? Is there a general rule of how much I can eat?

also how bad is it if you get it? Is it a death sentence?

Intestinal parasites behaves a little different than other afflictions. Each piece of carnivore meat consumed increases the percentage of risk and after 24 hours a roll determines if you became infected or not. After the roll, the risk affliction ends and you are no longer at risk. If, for example, you ate one piece (of any size) of carnivore meat every 24 hours, you would have a risk of 1% each time the roll was completed.

If you do get infected, it’s likely not a death sentence depending on your condition when you got sick, but you will lose condition daily until it is cured. It’s treated with Antibiotics or Reishi tea once per day for 10 days. 

Edited by The Ravages of Time
  • Upvote 1

A few tips when it comes to intestinal parasites:

• Eat bear meat whenever possible over wolf meat (more calories).
  • Eat as much meat as possible in one shot. The risk of intestinal parasites is the same whether you eat 1 kg or 0.01 kg of predator meat.
  • Level up your cooking quickly, so you get more calories per piece of meat.
  • Eating one piece of meat gives you a 1% risk, the second one is 4%, and every piece after that adds 5% to your risk of getting parasites.

You can calculate the risk of getting intestinal parasites (R) over a time period, where x is the number of days:

R = [1-(1.00-p)^x]*100%

where p is the probability of getting intestinal parasites on a given day as a decimal, based on what I wrote above.

As an example, if you eat one piece of wolf meat every day for 50 days, you have a moderate chance of catching intestinal parasites,

R=[1-(1.00-0.01)^50]*100% = 39.5% risk of parasites

Even for 100 days, the risk is still not excessive:

R=[1-(1.00-0.01)^100]*100% = 63.3% risk of parasites

Eating 3 pieces of wolf meat daily for 25 days, however, is much riskier:

R=[1-(1.00-0.09)^25]*100% = 90.5% risk of parasites

You can play around with the numbers a bit and figure out what an acceptable level of risk is for you.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Sus-wolf said:

Can I eat wolf meat on occasion and avoid it? Is there a general rule of how much I can eat?

It's pure luck. You usually get away with eating a little just from the dice rolls. But I've gotten parasites from 1% risk. It can happen

Most of the time there is plenty of other food around. You can cook your kills and leave the meat for later. That raises your cooking skill. At level 5 you can not only eat predator meat risk-free, but also rotten meat. It's a somewhat silly mechanics, but it is what is

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just eat only 1 bear / wolf meat at a time. Never it less than 1 kg meat, because even eating 100 g carnivore meat will cause the affliction chance. If you get the real affliction, you usually have enough meds around. Good thing: during that affliction you can eat as much carnivore meat as you like. So I start eating carnivore meat, when I got 3 wolves dead. If a bear is dead, I hope I get the affliction in order to save normal food.

I got the affliction in Ash Canyon and survived it by collecting all the reishi mushrooms in the southern canyon.

I can’t understand why you would need to eat carnivore meat in stalker there is such an abundance of food- hell you don’t even have to kill an animal for months but if you do get parasites one tip is to keep eating the carnivore meat during the term of the ailment because you can’t get it again while infected.  So eat up all the bear and wolf you want and develop the cooking skill while you recover. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 10:00 PM, Sus-wolf said:

I started my first survival save on Stalker.

I developed a risk for intestinal parasites from eating too much wolf meat.

also how bad is it if you get it? Is it a death sentence?

In the Words of Leroy Jenkins…. Leroy Jenkins!!!! It’s not that bad, just keep antibiotics with you and be prepared to tire quickly *if* you become infected. I’ve eaten predator meat many times throughout gameplay there isn’t a general rule, so much as watch your risk bar and make sure you don’t hit 100%.  

I eat wolf meat routinely, but it has to be managed.

1.  Only eat it in 1kg "packages", to maximize calorie / risk ratio

2.  The risk of intestinal parasites is non-linear.  For example, the risk of eating one 1kg "package" of wolf meat, is only 1/4 of the risk of eating two 1kg "packages" in a 24 hour period.  Try to never eat more than two in a twenty-four hour period.  This will cap your risk at 4% per day.

3.  Cooking level 5 negates all intestinal parasite risk from cooked meat, so eat as much as you want at that point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 10:41 PM, Lord of the Long Dark said:

I can’t understand why you would need to eat carnivore meat in stalker there is such an abundance of food- hell you don’t even have to kill an animal for months but if you do get parasites one tip is to keep eating the carnivore meat during the term of the ailment because you can’t get it again while infected.  So eat up all the bear and wolf you want and develop the cooking skill while you recover. 

I spend a lot of time exploring the upper regions of Ash Canyon and some other places that lack access to meat without climbing or walking a long distance. 
normally I just have small amounts during bad weather to get by. 

Edited by Sus-wolf

• 2 months later...