The Final Dark - Endless Night Interloper

Guest jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng

Ciaran 1 / Nights 13 and 14 - So sorry you're finally leaving

Considering the luck I had just the last 2 days I actually expect a random 5 ton weight to drop on my head and the roadrunner meeping by any moment. Everything played out way better than I expected, the only downer being that the only sapling I found I forgot in a cave that getting to is hardly worth the effort from here. Now all I have to pull off is one last magic trick, and I am back to Milton. But feeling no immediate rush I check the space on top of the cave first - but no dice: Peach Poison and a lump of cedar. Back at the cave I sort out what to keep and what not.

I end up leaving a good portion of the moose behind as it begins to turn below 50%. It indeed was a bit much, like 5 kilograms. But well, at least I got the practice in. I leave towards the Lonely Cave. The wolf is still absent. I was actually prepared to offer it some moose, but well. However the wind isn't on my side, and getting any headway is tedious this overloaded. I'm freezing hard, and even after the wind calms down I'm slow. Then... the last hurdle: the scrub brush. But, while certainly not intended by the creator, there is a way around it.

20210616181018_1.thumb.jpg.3e0a2db4680af97734f3b086dd8528ba.jpg
I'm looking at this corner for no particular reason. At all.

I crawl across the bridge in slow motion, and finally reach the cave - my last way point in HRV - and finally: two maple saplings, right in front of it. Inside I take a nap to warm up as it's still -1°C FL inside. The rationale here is quite simple: I won't bring all this food to Milton. But I can use it here to do things I only can either with light - or under starry sky: repair clothes, read a book. Repairing clothes goes first, since, well, maybe I can improve stuff enough so I don't lose heat. Let's just hope there is no blizzard spoiling my plan. And indeed: fixing my pants and ear wraps I get to positive 0 (which is a thing that very deeply upsets me to say). Also patching up my underwear gets me not totally terrible 13/4°C. The book about arson is so entertaining I finish it in one go.

Having nothing worthwhile left to do I pack up saplings and pelts and leave. The aurora even comes to say goodbye.

20210616182803_1.thumb.jpg.9bb71fc57b1b345bf6c0455f15d8680a.jpg
So sorry you're finally leaving.

At least the aurora saves me a good amount of lamp fuel. And I remember to pick up the two pelts and guts I left here a week ago. Technically I have everything I need to craft either rabbit skin mittens or the hat. Or >DEER< skin boots. Before I exit the cave I rest up, and discard the remaining scraps of moose plus a few torches to get at least below 50kg. The weather is windy and provides negative visibility. Nevertheless I make it to the trailer, where I warm up. The tour de force of the last days since I departed from Pensive Vista has taken its toll on me.

I decide to stay an hour crafting some tea to warm up some more, and meanwhile a blizzard moves in. I apparently have a nose for dodging these. Luckily I have more than enough tea that needs preparing - or so I've thought. Even after killing 4 hours the world is still a mess. Well, at least I'm not stuck behind some rock this time. But just when I have run out of things to do and start spending time staring at the ceiling things finally improve.

Outside it's snowy, but the wind is calm. Still refusing to light a torch I stumble toward the church. I rest, again, but I cannot afford a longer stay as I have run out of water. There is more than enough at Grey Mother's. So if I can just stretch it a little bit more.... I "drink" a can of dog food to improve my hydration at least a little bit. I leave for the final leg of my excursion to the Hushed River Valley. A wolf spots me behind the bridge halfway to Grey Mother's, but cooler heads prevail and I walk it off. Finally .... I arrive. And finally I can get rid of so much excess weight.

I will stash most of the redundant stuff I brought: the extra hacksaw, the additional bedroll. I will also leave the hides here to cure, especially the moose hide, at least for now. I haven't yet decided how to proceed with these. But I will use my regained agency to get something done tomorrow. Maybe get the stim and the cattails at the plane crash. Maybe actually head to Timberwolf Mountain. Maybe get a knife and forge some arrow heads. I don't know yet.

As an interesting tidbit I have used a total of 7 matches, with 53 left in my inventory. That's pretty damn effective I'd say at 1 match per 2 days. With over 100 guaranteed matches and at least two fire strikers left in the world .... I should make it to day 500 ezpz. 30 days. Ha!

Edited by jeffpeng

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, tulkawen said:

Hold on, you found a Moose with full 38kg meat just lying around on the ground? O_O

Yes, a moose carcass can rarely spawn at Pensive Vista. I, however, wasn't aware it had a "full inventory" so to speak, as I've never seen it before. And since I've never seen it before I was assuming it just doesn't happen on Interloper. But maybe this is one of these things that work "wrong" in custom games, like Cabin Fever having a 50 day grace period in custom games, even if everything else is Interloper settings. I simply do not know.

Agreed, great writing. Entertaining read.

Brings back so many memories. Places I knew so well. The early game feeling of being set up in a warm place but knowing you have to move out soon, into the dangerous world outside, because your firewood and food will run out within hours. The feeling of harvesting a moose - you want all that meat but you know it's way more than you can eat and lug around. The feeling when the last bits of your moose reserves are running out and food will soon become a problem again.

That's all TLD.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

Ciaran 1 / Deliberations II.

First, as a kind of interim conclusion, I must admit, almost shamefully, that the sheer amount of luck Ciaran 1 had so far is outstanding, maybe even unreal. Also, that my decidedly worst tendency - lugging around too much stuff - manifested in the last few days and probably cost me more time than gain me advantage. On the surface I'm all about efficiency, but deep down in my frozen heart I'm a terrible hoarder. And finally, and despite the advantages it has awarded me: I'm behind schedule due to my failed sapling excursion that turned into a moose eating extravaganza.

But well, things happened (or didn't) and now we're here, so what do we do with it? It's time to take stock and think about what to do next. My moose hide is 37% cured. Considering its exceptional weight bringing it with me sounds like too much effort, especially considering I can only cure it when I make rests. So it should remain here for the time being. But waiting out almost a full week ... is just too much time wasted. On the other hand: I would have to come back at some point to get it. Sheesh. None of these options I do like. Well. Let's look at other things first.

I've got 4 cured guts, three cured rabbit pelts, and 2 deer skins, one of which is cured, while the other will finish curing in less than a day. Having deer skin boots and a rabbit hat would improve my gear significantly. And with Paradise Meadows I even have an outside crafting bench nearby, a wind protected one at that. 110% of sewing kits 'should' be enough - but even if not I would have a spare gut to make fishing tackle. I still have the hook I found in the camp office I believe. Both pieces would improve my gear by 2.5/2 °C, even more if I factor in that repairing my current shoes is hardly worth the effort. That's decent, good actually.

Another option I have is to forge a knife. I do have a hammer now, and I should be able to get enough scrap metal together at the western derailed train in the 'skeg to make a few arrow heads while I'm at it. I could even saw down the metal shelf at Spence's. However: does a knife really improve my chances this much? I cannot use the arrow heads for at least 5 days and that's assuming I find birch saplings today.

Both of these options don't have a hard best-before date. However: the stuff on Timberwolf Mountain, currently rotting away, has. A second ear wrap would go a long way at least until I get a satchel (which I'm not even sure is the best use for the moose hide), a wool toque would improve my head wear just as much as the rabbit hat would, the thin wool sweater would be a nice bonus as well as some wool socks, and the work boots would be an improvement for the time being as well. But making that round trip would mean an even longer time before I can hope to acquire bow and arrow. And, well, as always: the more ground I cover, the more chances I have at the illustrious second pair of knickers that defines a true master of Great Bear island.

But something else seeps into my considerations: where would actually be a good "base" for Ciaran? It's a question as old as time, but there are new variables to consider. Crafting is something I can only do outside and/or with fire. Indoor locations will require a fire without any bonus for every minute of crafting, so let's discard them right away. If we consider outside work benches there are a few.

The one at the fishing village falls flat instantly. Not windproof, and not bear safe. There is Paradise Meadows, yes, as I said, but it requires a fire to be warm enough. There's also Spence's, but not only will it require a fire at all times to avoid freezing, too, but also is the only tenable nearby "indoor" location a cave guarded by a wolf.  It, however, has that forge. But then again: hunting in the Muskeg is just asking for your game to die out on the ice, laughing at you with its final breath.

Even I am not mad enough to make Ash Canyon my main base, despite the Miner's Folly really having a few interesting perks to it. But it is not only so cold that every day will be a struggle forever, it also is the most remote place on earth. Well. As you, the esteemed reader, will already have pointed out in exclaiming fashion: There is the hut on Timberwolf Mountain. Which is a little bit the best and the worst of both worlds baked into one.

Getting new arrow heads will be a journey, in any case. Being both prone to cabin fever without an easy or cheap way to evade it but also being not blizzard safe really puts some limitations on the location, and will most likely result in a heightened use of matches. And firewood is a challenge to begin with. On the upside: it provides the closest-to-shelter fishing hut in the game which actually is the second best way to get rid of cabin fever, and, most importantly: The hut is literally the only place in the game I could craft at without having to burn ludicrous amounts of firewood. Having two rabbit groves isn't too shabby either. Plus even late game there is ample opportunity to hunt every flavor of walking food, including an otherwise predator free spot for a moose.

Choices, choices.

Alright, Ciarans retirement home will indeed be the hut on TWM. Now what does that mean for our travels? It would still delay my summit run, but if TWM actually wasn't an immediate round trip but a place to establish myself with no need to return to Milton or at least getting to a forge, getting the boots and rabbit hat done, then getting my knife and an initial set of arrows, while actually lugging along my moose hide would at least not delay my progress in archery more than absolutely necessary since, hopefully, by the time I reach TWM I'll have all the ingredients I need to craft bow and arrow. Losing out on some clothes at the summit is a calculated risk.

However: Dragging the moose hide along will require me to me to stash it somewhere where it can cure while I revisit Spence's, or I'll risk it rotting away. The nearby cave is out of the question, so my only option would be the Marsh Ridge cave. That would at least force a short round trip form there to Spence's and back on me. Well, it ain't perfect, but it probably can't be helped either.  None of the alternatives make a tremendous amount of sense.

So, that's settles it then, I guess. Pack up shop, leave what I don't need, get to Paradise Meadows, craft hat and boots, climb down to Marsh Ridge, leave the moose hide at the cave, get to Spence's via the derailed train near the Broken Railroad transition, craft a knife and a set of arrow heads, double back to the Marsh Ridge cave, and then onto TWM asap. Considering it's around the corner I will make a detour to Orca's mostly for nutritional purposes. It'll be a tight fit to get everything I need to bring under 35kg - but that's the plan.

Let's see how much of it ever comes to fruition.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:05 PM, jeffpeng said:

I should make it to day 500 ezpz. 30 days. Ha!

Famous last words 😈

There can be a wolf in the ice cave? lol, i was there once or twice but never met one. Hm, but it was on Pilgrim (that's the lowest difficulty right?) when the Region came out. I wanted to explore it. It's been some years since that, so i guess i should have a look again since i forgot almost everything about it. But it is my favourite map so far because of the hidden spots and the different levels of height :)

I never played Interloper, i have to much respect of it. But Stalker on the other hand is to easy. Hm, i should try Interloper then i guess hm?

//oh, another post from you. I have to read again :D

///nice conclusion on your next steps. You have more knowledge about the game and it's locations than me. I have to continue reading in order to change that ^^

Edited by Karl Grylls

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

There can be a wolf in the ice cave?

Yes - It's an interloper specialty. You don't get it on any other difficulty, and even on Interloper it isn't always there. But now that I think of it: On Interloper you always find a dead rabbit in the cave. I did not. As with the moose, which I think shouldn't be there on interloper, it might be possible that the fact that I am actually playing a custom game is the reason for that, despite it's Interloper settings. But, in all honesty, considering I forced perpetual night on me I don't feel too bad about these teeny tiny advantages. However: I'm curious if this means that the bunkers are in the game now as well.

Guest jeffpeng
37 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

The flare gun from the Ravine is a good defense to make Timberwolf Mountain trip.

This is true. It also would cost me ... 2 days? Less if I gave up my only cup of coffee for it. It's an idea worth entertaining, but I think I will rely on my one flare as my get out of jail free card. Let's see how things are once I'm at Carter's. But I should get the rope from the Lake Overlook in any case.

25 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

This is true. It also would cost me ... 2 days? Less if I gave up my only cup of coffee for it. It's an idea worth entertaining, but I think I will rely on my one flare as my get out of jail free card. Let's see how things are once I'm at Carter's. But I should get the rope from the Lake Overlook in any case.

Then hurry hurry. I want to read new stuff today :D

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

You have bedroll and hacksaw right?

From Milton I'd go va bank without clothes or a knife -> ML -> Flare -> CH -> PV -> TW

By the way, aren't looted Milton clothes really good too? It's the best place in the game to get clothes. It's still warm regardless.

Edited by tulkawen

Guest jeffpeng

Ciaran 1 / Night 15 - At least I have the stupid hat

After I have proven with the last post that I can play a game for over an hour without even playing it, some actual "work" is in order to back up these big and especially plentiful words.

First things first: I will need a little bit of extra cloth. So another curtain goes. I pack both storm lanterns, but plan to shed the one with less fuel at Orca's. Food stored here all comes with me. I also pick up all and every hide, plus the three books I left here. For now below 45 kilograms is good enough. It'll be much more interesting once I leave Paradise Meadows, so I'll solve that problem then. Hoarder, eh? Well, not so much this time. There is merit behind all of this. Without further delay I leave.

The weather is favorable, visibility is good enough. Getting to Orca's actually is more dangerous as one would expect. Without a torch in hand missing a wolf would be fatal. Attention! Holding left I make it through the town, then pass The Arch to avoid this treacherous part of the road. The gas station seems free of wolves, but I'm not arrogant enough to take this for granted. After all: it's night. Always.

20210618190218_1.thumb.jpg.aea12b82e535a597bf56956f2d99a9f2.jpg
No sane man would claim to see a whole lot on this picture.

However: I'm right and get inside without contest. Dog food, a candy bar, a granola, two cans of sardines and two cans of peaches make the trip worthwhile. The spray paint and stump remover I pick up, but intend to leave at Paradise Meadows. The lamp gives in, and so it will find its final resting pace here. Thank you, friend. After warming up for an hour I take a short stroll outside, looking if any saplings avail themselves. If there are any I don't see them. More warming up. Tedious, I know. I leave into hostile weather. Next stop: Park Office.

The rabbits on the way cheer when I announce that I have no use for them. The bedroll is better than mine, but other than that I find nothing of value. More.... warming... up. As my final detour I decide to visit the house on the hill since I once found some birch saplings there, and indeed I find four - but not before I cleverly circle away from a hungry wolf that eventually decides that rabbits taste better anyways. More sardines in the house - and more rest.

I sleep three hours and end up being thoroughly punished for it: Blizzard. Absolutely nothing to do all I can spend time with is idling. Two hours later I can leave, although the situation has hardly improved. Visibility is zero, and it feels like -25°C. However, and despite a wolf patrolling near the house, I make it to the farm in one frozen piece. I sleep an hour so I can finish the crafting session in one take.

At this point I realize I made a crucial mistake: I need 4 guts for the boots and one for the hat. I don't have enough for both in any case. Frustrated I get the hat done since I am also tight on firewood of which brought just enough, but also will need some at Spence's. Meh.

20210618211523_1.thumb.jpg.9b0d5cf1023b68cad47e5d34bcfc11d3.jpg
Everything going according to plan.

Finishing the hat the aurora shows up. And I find some lamp fuel in a corner of the barn. Well. Using the already burning fire I wait for better winds - and read three hours about cooking. To get below 35 kilograms I have to leave behind most of my torches, all my water, and some other superfluous things. Then, grumpy, I leave. I make it to the rope without running into a wolf, and even get the fire down safely.

In desperate need of firewood I visit the Rocky Retreat and actually find a birch and a maple sapling. Look at that. I make it to the cave - where I find yet another brich sapling and make camp. I'm pretty frozen and exhausted. Well.

At least I have the stupid hat.

Edited by jeffpeng

Dude, this has been an amazing tale!  First off, I'm super flattered for the shout out. Secondly, I'd be lying if I was sorry that I put this idea into your head. This seems so brutal! I'm still just getting the hang of vanilla Loper (record is only 48 days, current run is going strong at 37 right now)

Just know I've been reading these with the enjoyment of a novel and I cannot wait to see more. You, sir, are the bomb.

Guest jeffpeng

Hey folks,

no, the project isn't already dead. I sometimes have days on end, even weeks, where I can play relatively actively, and then stretches of time where I am happy when I can say hi to my wife and pet the cat - and don't mix em up in the process. So: Ciaran will be back, and thanks for all the appreciation!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed a change?

I had attempted the night challenge. After the update, the save disappeared. When I started a new game with endless night, the calendar never changes from Day 1. 🤔

Am I bugged or is this a new feature?

Guest jeffpeng

That's what it's like with my game. I pretty much go by what my stats screen tells me. Time literally doesn't advance.

Will you be starting and posting your new game then?

Since many of the challenges are day count based, I do find it rather inconvenient. I guess we need to count hours then for a 30 day in the dark challenge.

Plus, I'm wandering how long Day 1 log will stretch since each day tended to record all the locations you've been to. 🤔

Guest jeffpeng
1 minute ago, tulkawen said:

Will you be starting and posting your new game then?

Since many of the challenges are day count based, I do find it rather inconvenient. I guess we need to count hours then for a 30 day in the dark challenge.

Plus, I'm wandering how long Day 1 log will stretch since each day tended to record all the locations you've been to. 🤔

Oh I meant the game I am still currently on (even if it is "paused" right now).

Edited by jeffpeng

just saw this. Fantastic challenge. I tried doing an endless night run back when i earned that perk after the challenge came out and it was incredibly difficult. Is it just impossible to repair clothing?

also, i have over 3000 hours in this game and i have never caught a moose carcass laying there.

again, awesome stuff.

• 1 month later...