Couple of minor things.....

past caring

Couple of minor things I've only just noticed - but which I don't recall being the case previously, so thought I'd check here....

1. Sleeping outdoors next to a stove (e.g. the ruined hut by the prepper cache in PV, right next to the rope climb to TW) I note that the fire in the stove has enough fuel to run for, say, 3 hours 52 minutes. So I decide to sleep for 3 hours and then check whether the temperature has dropped/check whether I need to add more fuel to avoid freezing. But when I wake the stove still has fuel for 1 hour 52 minutes - so it seems that I'm only sleeping for 2 hours? It's definitely not a case of me waking because I'm not tired enough - I can immediately go straight back to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours. And I've done this repeatedly (it could be 4 hours and 45 minutes or 2 hours and 32 minutes - they're just example figures) - there is always a 1 hour discrepancy. can't work out what is going on?

2. If I cook a can of soup or pork and beans on the stove I end up with an empty can in my inventory afterward. If I cook that same can of food in a pot that's already on the stove (or a can that's already on the stove) then there's no empty can in my inventory?

1.  This, AFAIK, has always been the case... likely the air temperature dropped further due to a weather change or time of day change while you were sleeping, extending the duration of the fire beyond the estimated one when you checked before going to sleep.

2.  I've not noticed this, but then I don't normally heat canned foods in a pot.  I normally just set them beside the stove or fire and use the pot on the stove to make water.

6 hours ago, past caring said:
  1. Sleeping outdoors next to a stove (e.g. the ruined hut by the prepper cache in PV, right next to the rope climb to TW) I note that the fire in the stove has enough fuel to run for, say, 3 hours 52 minutes. So I decide to sleep for 3 hours and then check whether the temperature has dropped/check whether I need to add more fuel to avoid freezing. But when I wake the stove still has fuel for 1 hour 52 minutes - so it seems that I'm only sleeping for 2 hours? It's definitely not a case of me waking because I'm not tired enough - I can immediately go straight back to sleep for another 3 or 4 hours. And I've done this repeatedly (it could be 4 hours and 45 minutes or 2 hours and 32 minutes - they're just example figures) - there is always a 1 hour discrepancy. can't work out what is going on?

I think that it's because the your fire making skill affects the final duration of fires.
I  realized this by watching the water boil while keeping an eye on the fire time. There is a little increase in time (few minutes) in fire time, in comparison to the water/tea/whatever time, and i've not seen that in low skilled characters.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:53 AM, past caring said:

If I cook a can of soup or pork and beans on the stove I end up with an empty can in my inventory afterward. If I cook that same can of food in a pot that's already on the stove (or a can that's already on the stove) then there's no empty can in my inventory?

I seem to recall the empty can should only appear in your inventory after you've consumed all the food within.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:53 AM, past caring said:

If I cook a can of soup or pork and beans on the stove I end up with an empty can in my inventory afterward. If I cook that same can of food in a pot that's already on the stove (or a can that's already on the stove) then there's no empty can in my inventory?

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I seem to recall the empty can should only appear in your inventory after you've consumed all the food within.

And make sure you've opened the can with a tool.  Smashed-open cans do not (or should not) give you an empty can after eating the food, regardless of how or if the can was heated.