Hot Springs

hozz1235

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Gives a significant warmth bonus when immersed but suffer from wet clothes (if worn) and possible hypothermia if exposed too long after exiting.

That could be cool. They could make a new affliction for that.

Wet - The player character is wet due to having submerged themselves in the waters of a hot spring. Increased heat loss and increased risk of hypothermia until you dry yourself up. Of course this affliction would only be given to you if you submerged yourself sufficiently inside the hot spring's waters, and its negative effects will only come into effect once you exit the water.

To counteract the Wet affliction:

• Just wait on a dry surface for your character to dry up. Heat (like from a fire) helps speed up the process.
  • Put some clothes on. Of course, while your character is wet, their clothes will gradually become wetter as well. The innermost layer of clothing will be wettened first. Having clothes on also speeds up the drying process and helps counteract the affliction's heat loss and increased hypothermia risk, but the wettening of your clothes causes a whole other problem for you to deal with.

• 1 month later...

I was just pondering ideas for TLD and thought I'd search to see if anyone thought the same.  I think some selective, very remote springs where fresh water would be available would be a good idea.  I'm not on-board with big ones where you can gain warmth, but just where fresh water would be available.

I'd like to see the waterfalls inside caves (e.g. cave in Ash Canyon) converted into hot springs.  Rather than cause the player to become chilled, they instead give them a warmth bonus.  A trade-off could be that, if entered with clothing on or if the player spends a certain amount of time within the "spray" area wearing clothes, the clothing is damaged.  The "electrification" of the waters in the caves by the aurora could then be associated with the minerals in the waters... which also causes them to glow with eerie colors (essentially lighting up the caves during auroras without the need of electric lights).  Any water obtained from the springs could be flagged as not potable due to its mineral content.  It could then be boiled and filtered (with a new loot item - coffee filters) to make it potable.  A second by-product of the filtering process could be "dusting sulfur"

Another side effect, if shoes are worn into the water or wet shoes are worn for long periods of time, could be the risk of contracting a foot fungal infections (e.g. athlete's foot) which could be painful and prevent sprinting.  It could be treated with doses of antibiotics or a topical cream could be craftable using the "dusting sulfur" as one of the ingredients.

Edited by UpUpAway95