Stuff behind crates or pallets or...

Stinky socks

Is there stuff behind crates that need to be broken down to get access to? I've read somewhere that there is almost like full lantern fuel jerry can under the stairs in the dam, hidden by carafes?

How common is this, if true? I'd hate to break all crates everywhere just to check if there is something hidden, but at the same time, I'd be upset to miss some serious item. Please enlighten the pilgrim!

Also, do crates have anything inside them? Thank you!

Occasionally there are but it’s not guaranteed and it’s exceedingly rare except for a couple of notable places: 

in the maintenance yard one of the crates on the elevated platform sometimes has a stim in it. 

in hibernia, a backpack can be accessed behind a crate and metal shelf that I have never once found to contain anything but then again I only play interloper. 
   In the BI cannery- most crates outside contain sardines. 
  Not a crate, but harvesting the cloth drape over the shelving in grey mothers will usually reveal something behind it- often an accelerant. 
  other than that on extremely rare occasions you might find something but it’s definitely not like you should consider crates to be treasure chests lol. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box
  • Like 1

There are a few crates that have something under/in them on any difficulty and then a few more that possibly contain something, particularly on games where the Baseline Resource Allocation is set on "Medium" or higher.  The most important ones are located at or near forges in the game.

The Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad has 1 crate up the plank ramp that always contains something.  On Interloper, it will have one item (usually a stim) and on Pilgrim it will have 3 items (often including an ear wrap, gauntlets, MRE, or ammo).  There are three other crates in the Maintenance that can contain items.  Near the bottom of the ramp, there is a crate that will contain some tins of Pork & Beans.  Near the workbench (on the level just up the stairs), there is another crate that can contain some cured leather, and in the workroom area next to the shelves is a crate that can contain lantern fuel or accelerant.

Similarly, at the Spence's Farmstead forge, there is a crate that contains accelerant and another that contains tins of Dog Food and there is a safe under the bed area that is accessible without breaking the crates, but is more easily spotted and accessed if you break the crates.

On lower difficulties, there is sometimes a crate near the plane wreck that can contains an item of higher-end clothing (e.g. snow pants).  It may be that this one just spawns in Wintermute.  It at least  does not appear to ever contain anything on Interloper.

In the Hibernia Processing plant, you can break crates to get to a backpack. On difficulties that allow rifle spawns, this is a common location for a rifle.

More often than not, it's not that the crate contains the items, but that the item was tucked in beside it next to a wall or between two crates, etc.  You can often spot these small items if you look carefully and/or shine a torch or some other light into the spaces around the crates.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

There is one place I know that for sure there is a secret item. In Grey Mother's house in Milton (the biggest house in Milton), on the second floor there is a closet, in the closet there are two shelves. The shelf on the far wall is covered by some break-down-able cloth. Behind this cloth there can be some cool items, i've found a cured rabbit pelt, a bottle of water, and gun ammo behind there.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, Stinky socks said:

@Rose of Madmenwell now I want to back to investigate! I am long ways away though. Sitting at the summit with a tail section of crashed jet.

It may be worth it if you don't have nothing to do, there is around 3 hidden loot locations and the biggest isn't the most hidden, but you should watch out because you can get stuck there easily, take an axe and a hacksaw or don't even try to go there. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:01 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

More often than not, it's not that the crate contains the items, but that the item was tucked in beside it next to a wall or between two crates, etc.

Very true. The crates in the loft of the PV outbuilding barn, (Hammer, Hacksaw). The cardboard boxes inside the MT Orca Gas Station, (food). The wood crates in the BR Maintenance Garage, (whetstone, stim, food)...and now the revolver seems to be well hidden in very clever locations. :coffee:

• Upvote 1

Very good news thank you!! I've been unknowingly hacking at canned food with my knife, thinking I'm smashing cans because of high cooking level, but knife kept taking a beating automatically!😫whetstone is king!! I dont feel like traveling to that place what's his name with milling machine to fix my tools yet.

• Like 1