Console control options

craig_hilchie

I've mostly been a PC player but now own the game on PS4 as well.  I've found the controls a bit clunky on the gamepad, mostly due to an overly large deadzone on the sticks, and the inability to use the Dualshock 4's gyro controls to fine-tune aim.

I guess the suggestions here are:

-add a deadzone adjustment slider in the control options; and

-add an "enable gyro while aiming" option, along with adjustable gyro sensitivity.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, craig_hilchie said:

I've mostly been a PC player but now own the game on PS4 as well.  I've found the controls a bit clunky on the gamepad, mostly due to an overly large deadzone on the sticks, and the inability to use the Dualshock 4's gyro controls to fine-tune aim.

I guess the suggestions here are:

-add a deadzone adjustment slider in the control options; and

-add an "enable gyro while aiming" option, along with adjustable gyro sensitivity.

Cheers!

I heard plenty of people that plays this game on PC that the controls on console isn't the best, is it really that bad? I never have had any problem with the controls or deadzone I find it easy to control. I've never played PC so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as I don't have anything to compare it to. Still not against a deadzone slider even though I have no issue with it more customization would be great. The gyro control though sounds like a nightmare to use I've used gyro controls before on other games as well as the PS4 on screen keyboard and it is well painful as it is not responsive at all to just use it during typing I nearly have to point the controller at me just to get it to the edge of the on screen keyboard.

10 minutes ago, Vareta said:

I play on console and the only real thing that kinda bothers me is aiming, Im pretty sure it is easier on pc. I have no idea if gyro aiming would help as Ive never tried it, but it does sound interesting.

Aiming on PC is always easier you just point really with consoles it will be more difficult as you can't simply just point at your target it takes a bit more skill to line up a shot. The gyro is a personal preference I personally feel it's a nightmare to use in other games and would believe it to be the same in The Long Dark so if they add it I would prefer it to be an optional setting.

Edited by LoneWolf5841
Spelling fixes
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Aiming on PC is always easier you just point really with consoles it will be more difficult as you can't simply just point at your target it takes a bit more skill to line up a shot. The gyro is a personal preference I personally feel it's a nightmare to use in other games and would believe it to be the same in The Long Dark so if they add it I would prefer it to be an optional setting.

Yeah that would probably be the best option, that way you can always choose what you want, thought i doubt that this would ever be implemented. This actually gives me an idea ! wouldnt it make sense that the controls in each weapon improve, when the respective weapon skill grows bigger ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vareta said:

Yeah that would probably be the best option, that way you can always choose what you want, thought i doubt that this would ever be implemented. This actually gives me an idea ! wouldnt it make sense that the controls in each weapon improve, when the respective weapon skill grows bigger ?

That's an interesting concept and would make sense as irl you can't just pick up a gun for the first time and expect to hit your target you must learn how to properly aim. Though i'm for it I am still a big lover of optional additions so the ones who like the system the way it is isn't forced to use something they might not like

• Like 1

This is the sort of thread I need. I'm not one to complain in threads, I've gotten used to just bearing it. I've been wanting to enjoy this game for a long, long time. Never had a very good PC, but I bought the game on day 1 for PS4. It would run terribly and constantly crash. And I stuck around because watching people on PC play the game for a long time had hooked me, I wasn't giving up. I waited for the patches and played through the first two episodes and played survival. Lived and died many times on Great Bear. The controls were always a bit janky, but TLD has always been a "slow" game. Even dealing with wolves was not too hard unless you were dumb enough to walk into a group of them. Then the Redux versions of the first two episodes came out, and I played them too. Still loved it.

But episode three. Those *goddamn* timberwolves. I can't fight them at all. I know this isn't an issue on PC, but on PS4 (and I assume XB1?) the aiming sensitivity is terrible. I know that we have the turn speed slider, but the problem is the "lag." When I move the stick, it takes a moment to reach the actual speed, whether I push lightly or max it out. Worse is the fact that letting go, the movement doesn't stop, it "decelerates." I can spin in a circle, let go of the stick, and still turn a good 10-30 degrees.

Because of this, I cannot fight timberwolves in the slightest. For over a year now my enjoyment of TLD has been limited to watching other players on youtube because I've lost the drive to play. I want to finish episode three and I tried to play again today. The timberwolf encounters are still insufferable. The "sloppiness" of the aiming mechanics was bearable before, because with smart playing one can bait wolves away or avoid groups. But having a pack of wolves running circles around you at point blank is just not fun with the current controls.

If this game wants fast paced shooter encounters, it needs fast paced shooter mechanics. The "lag" or "acceleration" or whatever one might want to call it must go, or be able to be disabled. Additionally, there needs to be options to change both normal and aimed turn sensitivity, not just a blanket change. Currently setting sensitivity high for regular view makes the aimed sensitivity far too touchy.

And before someone invariably tells me to "git gud," I've been playing console shooters since 2006. I may not be an expert, but I know what I'm doing, and I can comfortably hold a positive K/D ratio in competitive shooters.

• Upvote 1

It seems strange to me to even have acceleration/deceleration on a controller....how much you push the stick gives enough control? Why would they add in this complication?

edit-------------

I wouldn't tell you to "git gud" because I know the controls in this game aren't great even on PC.

Edited by odizzido

Yeah the acceleration curve is pretty sharp too, but the part that bugs me the most is how massive the deadzone is.

This game has the biggest deadzone of any fp game I've played on a console that I can remember, it seems like it takes up roughly a third of the sticks' movement radius.

Like I've adjusted enough to hit targets ok, but it's hilarious going back to other games with first person aim mechanics and overshooting everything for the first few minutes of playing again.

A big +1 to getting a deadzone slider in to chop this right down (to me the deadzone should only be big enough to stop drift when you're not touching the stick)

+0.5 to being able to turn down/off acceleration

+0.5 to being able to adjust aiming sensitivity separately from non-aiming sensitivity

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm going to suggest something totally radical (and risk getting flamed)  in this thread as it is talking about console control options.

I dont know how difficult it is to have a keyboard / mouse support for the console but here are my reasons
1. No question control using kbd/mouse feels real, like a human neck movement compared to the CCTV like camera movements of the in game camera.
2. TLD is not multiplayer. So it wouldn't offer anyone a tremendous advantage over other players in any way. Anyone wanting to use a controller still can.
3. The thumb is over worked for camera / character movements (+ other actions on top of the controller) and risk for RSI is greater. Right now, my thumb upto my forearm is tender after a holiday season of gaming, so much so that I'm wearing support for it. I've been gaming for a long time (PC) and haven't had such issues before (maybe I was younger). Kbd/mice have gotten more ergonomic over the years + the positions can be arranged for personal comfort. (This point is valid for others games as well, not just first/third person games)
4. The CCTV like camera movements may have more tendency to induce motion sickness. I had a group of old friends come over for gaming session and couple of them (and including my wife who sometimes like to watch) started feeling uneasy after a while in FPS style games, something they've never experienced ever before.
5. Better hardware access in a console for those who dont have (or can't go for ) a high end PC. (I play on a MacBP 2015 booted in an external Windows 10 x64 drive, Steam platform. The quality is greatly reduced to enable frame rate of 25-30 for comfortable gameplay. )

I recently downloaded TLD on my xbox one x under the xbox gold pass and the control wasn't really good. The graphics quality alone wasn't good enough by a margin for me to start playing the xbox. Would it be difficult for Hinterland to offer KBD/Mouse support for TLD on consoles? There are many games that do already and more are coming up.

Edited by StillNomad
polished it a little.

• 2 years later...