waking up during sleep, please!

Boneviolin

I was just enjoying my time on a stalker survival. i had already survived 26 days and was leaving the coastal highway, but i was extremely tired and had to take a sleep. And then a blizzard came during my relaxing sleep and i died. I would like to be able to wake up or cancel the sleep. And if its not possible to wake up controllably, then at least make it so that you wake up automatically, if your'e cold or you start taking lots of damage. Now i know you cant really notice anything while sleeping, but i'm pretty sure your'e going to wake up sooner or later, if your'e freezing to death, no matter how close to death you are. Please, this would be such a great thing.

Thank you

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, Boneviolin said:

...make it so that you wake up automatically, if your'e cold or you start taking lots of damage. Now i know you cant really notice anything while sleeping, but i'm pretty sure your'e going to wake up sooner or later, if your'e freezing to death, no matter how close to death you are. Please, this would be such a great thing.

Thank you

This actually already exists in Custom sandbox there is a setting to wake the player if freezing near a fire also irl you actually wouldn't wake if freezing as cold temperatures generally makes a person more tired.PS_App_20201221_102036.thumb.jpeg.7f965354e81b09b8035ca24918a4cfae.jpeg

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Ummmmmmm no.  that’s the entire point of the whole game- making critical life-dependent decisions and preparing accordingly to support those decisions. that’s the entire premise of this game.

If there is a risk of freezing while sleeping you either don’t sleep or you build a fire.  That’s the whole point  

Edited by Schrodingers Box
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 7:39 PM, Schrodingers Box said:

Ummmmmmm no.  that’s the entire point of the whole game- making critical life-dependent decisions and preparing accordingly to support those decisions. that’s the entire premise of this game.

If there is a risk of freezing while sleeping you either don’t sleep or you build a fire.  That’s the whole point  

Yeah, i guess your right. I feel like i was just very mad and angry at such Simple death when i made this Post.

I do seem to recall survivor man saying he wakes up when he gets too cold, for what that's worth.

I think though that gameplay wise this might be a good idea because without waking up when freezing you make the optimal choice to sleep in one hour increments. This is tedious but obviously the best choice for staying alive.

I agree with the OP (and thanks LoneWolf for the tip about the settings): if one were starting to freeze, they would get rigors (violent shakes) that would wake them up. There could then be a gameplay mechanic that you have to do something about the rigors - like extra warming time, drinking a warm liquid or something else.

The same issue occurs with thirst. If you go to sleep with your thirst at 50% and decide to sleep for 12 hours, you wake up with damage from dehydration. IRL, one would wake up from extreme thirst (if they are not impaired in some other way).

So basically, I believe the game should wake you up for any of your meters going into the red - or at least have that option.

On 1/31/2021 at 7:39 PM, Schrodingers Box said:

Welll then, with the same logic you should have a problem with the existing sleep mechanic because the game already forces you to choose a predetermined duration of sleep.  So when you choose 1 hour, how does the character 'know' to wake after one hour, if they are already cold or freezing?  So the problem you're describing already exists in the game.  If we take that logic to its extreme, we shouldn't even be able to select a duration of sleep, but just let the character sleep for however long, until rested, or until dead.  That would be the realistic case. 

The OP is just asking for a little more control in that mechanic, it's not the big deal people make it out to be. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, xenojeff said:

The OP is just asking for a little more control in that mechanic, it's not the big deal people make it out to be. 

It is, however, irrelevant, as the setting is already there in the game. Turning it on and off makes the player automatically wake up when the reach the "freezing" status. Harder modes dont allow this as they are "harder" by their very definition. A solution here is to create one´s own Stalker difficulty with this particular setting changed to fix this issue. That is, afterall, exactly why Custom difficulty exists.

This was a point of contention in the past as well, I heard a lot of arguments that quote real life medical proffesionals who claim that a human body wakes one up if freezing, which seems to be true, under the condition that the person who went to sleep wasnt suffering from hypothermia to begin with. If they were, they would never wake up again. 

In the end those arguments are moot because this game, as realistic as it is, is not meant to be realistic representation and some things in the game are left on purpose for the sake of game mechanics and balance. 

With that said, my opinion on the subject is probably pretty clear -  I dont want to see this added into the game as we already have a similar setting that can be turned on and off for the custom mode.

Edited by Mroz4k