Trapped in Ash Canyon

Chris D

Trapped behind a log on a slope in the narrow corridor at the far side of Ash Canyon. Easy enough to walk over the log, impossible to get back over it. Perma-trapped and the game saved exactly at this location, tried everything I can think of, suggestions welcome. End of a 391 day run, should have known not to check out the new area before the next bugfix patch. Screenshot below, hopefully others will avoid. :(

screen_19644f83-9ce8-41de-a36b-a24ab7dae8bc.png

@Chris D
Oof, that is rough.

One of my previous runs I foolishly got myself stuck in the terrain while trying to clean up the map... I got stuck when I accidentally dropped down between a tree trunk and a boulder.  Eventually I had to accept my fate and end the run.  I know it's feel terrible to have to end a run like that, but it sometimes happens.  My survivor eventually died of starvation and dehydration... I kept trying to wriggle my way free to the bitter end.  :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
However, I did learn a valuable lesson about being more careful of climbing around on things.

You could try submitting a ticket on the Hinterland Support Portal, they might be able to help out (though you'd likely have to wait until the next patch, since they'd likely have to modify the terrain to get you unstuck).

My recommendation though, just start a new run.

Edited by ManicManiac

Gonna leave the game alone for a few months, 'hopefully' by then this and the random enter/leave buildings crashes will have been addressed. What you can see in the screenshot is the centre of the canyon path, the end of log in question is just at the side of the path. I've raised a support ticket but can't face starting a new run after this.

I don't know if you try it, so I'll suggest :)

spam the crouch key while moving left and right as much as you can
try to understand when you can move up and where you're going back down

step left and right where you feel you have a chance, in different directions

I've been trapped before, and managed to escape. But once, despite all tries, I had to accept my defeat to the lord of bugs.

(and yeah, I don't play the game when updated, until at least the first patch...)

Thanks for the suggestions LkP, I got myself out of the map bug. Then a while later my lamp decided it was a torch. 😬 Dropped lamp from inventory fearing it would become perma-bugged, when torch/lamp finished burning I couldn't throw it, drop, or put away so unable to interact with anything. Had to quit/reload to rectify. This game 🤣

screen_c09ef4cc-a8d2-42ef-bd9a-fa588025c6c5.png

Just throwing this out there but when exploring a new region, I take every opportunity I can to go through outdoor/indoor area transition because it triggers a save.  Even if all I do is turn around and head right back outside. Then if I do find myself stuck on terrain, I'll spend maybe 5 seconds trying to get out, and if it doesn't happen I just accept the loss and reload my last save.  Having to repeat 15 minutes of progress is less frustrating than losing a triple digit run.

• 3 weeks later...

I find Ash Canyon to be extremely glitchy like this. I'm not as experienced as many players here, but ever since I entered the map I find it is one big trap. The game randomly crashes (base PS4), and it's extremely easy to get hung-up on the lips of rocks, bridges, or as you discovered- logs. Ash Canyon is a really great map, but I don't think it's fully baked and needed more play testing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 3:13 PM, SpitztheGreat said:

I find Ash Canyon to be extremely glitchy like this. I'm not as experienced as many players here, but ever since I entered the map I find it is one big trap. The game randomly crashes (base PS4), and it's extremely easy to get hung-up on the lips of rocks, bridges, or as you discovered- logs. Ash Canyon is a really great map, but I don't think it's fully baked and needed more play testing.

I am having the same trouble as you in ash canyon I am playing on the Nintendo switch and every 10-20 minute's the game randomly crashes at one point i went through the same part of the map 5 or 6 times. on the bright side I can now go through that area with my eyes closed

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, the cabins trapper said:

I am having the same trouble as you in ash canyon I am playing on the Nintendo switch and every 10-20 minute's the game randomly crashes at one point i went through the same part of the map 5 or 6 times. on the bright side I can now go through that area with my eyes closed

It's not just AC - I started having serious crash problems a few days ago - I think it started when the latest hotfix came out.

And I agree - Hinterland is good people; they'll get it fixed as soon as they can.

This is the error I get when it crashes:

TLD Unity Error.png