Purifying Toilet Water

LoneWolf5841

Am I the only one that wishes water from toilets was nonpotable? I understand potable water from toilets with the back tank as the water in it isn't any different than water from the Tap, the tankless toilets however should give nonpotable water as you are getting it directly from the toilet bowl which would be contaminated and highly unsafe to drink without boiling it first. I personally avoid getting water from tankless toilets as it just feels wrong to get safe to drink water from the toilet bowl.

If tankless toilets gave nonpotable water it would give more use to the water purification tablets. I find the tablets pointless currently, as the only way to get nonpotable water, as far as I know, is melting snow which you need fire for so you will end up boiling it anyway no need for the tablets. The only use tablets can give is to save a little time but I always multitask while I boil my water so I never really use purification tablets. Now if the tankless toilets gave nonpotable water then I would be more inclined to use the purification tablets as I wouldn't want to start a fire just for a bit of toilet water. Also another note the toilets with the tank could give both nonpotable water as well as potable water obviously the potable water would come from the tank and the nonpotable water would come from the bowl. I really hope this is added in the future as it feels so wrong getting fresh water from the tankless toilet.

20201101_062700.thumb.png.90690885889d8221f994523b6d246d2b.png

20201101_062803.jpg.b68f0a335279c94bb909538741d397d6.jpg

• Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, Mr. 0 said:

Oh yes. Yes. Yes. Tank could cointain "special" water where you cant find if its potable or not, so you dont use purifier at own risk. Or boiling it for sure. 

I'm not for sure what you meant by this, are you suggesting they add another water type in the game that is unknown if it is potable or not? 

Edited by LoneWolf5841

1 hour ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

I'm not for sure what you meant by this, are you suggesting they add another water type in the game that is unknown if it is potable or not? 

exactly. or like hawk mentioned that made toilet water non potable by default.

9 minutes ago, Hawk said:

IMHO, I think the water from ALL toilets should be non-potable. Have you ever seen the inside of a toilet tank after not being used for a period of time? Even when the toilet is in regular use that water is a bit disgusting.

I wouldn't drink that water. :S

Well the water in the tank really isn't that much different from tap water the difference is it sits in a ceramic tank instead of a pipe. Also the disaster in the long dark happened recently so the tank water hasn't been sitting for long, I will agree if it sits for too long I wouldn't drink it as bacteria will grow eventually but if it hasn't been sitting for long, which in the long dark it hasn't, then it's is perfectly safe to drink

Just now, LoneWolf5841 said:

Well the water in the tank really isn't that much different from tap water the difference is it sits in a ceramic tank instead of a pipe. Also the disaster in the long dark happened recently so the tank water hasn't been sitting for long, I will agree if it sits for too long I wouldn't drink it as bacteria will grow eventually but if it hasn't been sitting for long, which in the long dark it hasn't, then it's is perfectly safe to drink

Maybe the new type of water that @Mr. 0 is talking about could spawn in water tanks after a certain ammount of days. and then after let say 100 days it become non potable.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. 0 said:

thats not very logical. Area is long deserted, so water is already older than 100 days.

If you base it on the story the place is deserted shortly after the disaster and in survival mode upon loading in a run it says "a geomagnetic disaster brought down your plane...' by that statement we can conclude at most the areas have been abandoned for a day. The water in the tank would still be safe also considering it's cold, bacteria would take longer to grow as they thrive in warm environments.

Edited by LoneWolf5841

6 minutes ago, odizzido said:

The water in that tank would have been frozen so bacteria wouldn't be doing anything.

Now having to purify non-tank water, yeah that would be good.

Isn't the temp of buildings always above freezing though? If not then it doesn't make sense how we are getting liquid water from toilets.

3 hours ago, Hawk said:

IMHO, I think the water from ALL toilets should be non-potable. Have you ever seen the inside of a toilet tank after not being used for a period of time? Even when the toilet is in regular use that water is a bit disgusting.

I wouldn't drink that water. :S

I have to agree. Realistically, I think it would be safer than taking water from the bowl, but in the game we only have potable and non-potable. In an absolute emergency, I could see drinking from the cistern, however, I would definitely want to purify or boil it if I could.  While the cistern ( the bowl too) water is chlorinated tap water ( assuming they aren't using wells ), that is going to fade over time. The fact is water that is potable without treatment should be pretty uncommon. Its troubling how hard is is to obtain clean water.

2 hours ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

Isn't the temp of buildings always above freezing though? If not then it doesn't make sense how we are getting liquid water from toilets.

Voyager and below it is always positive inside. but on stalker and interlopper you can freeze if there a blizzard outside

• 3 weeks later...

And we do not have a division into drinking and industrial water. This allows you to take water from the tank if necessary.)))

I mean, there is nothing unexpected or incomprehensible for me. I was happy with everything.

Besides, it won't affect anything. Drink it or not.