Not finding the exits is a real issue

yoli

Hi there, I've been playing the Darkwalker for a few hours, I love the ideas such as usage of the spray paint and the atmosphere. However there is something that kind of ruins the experience for me it's that very often I don't find the map exits. Even though they are loosely indicated on the map, I just don't find them. I can circle a very long time around a group of rocks and still don't find them, and the fog doesn't help. For my playing so far that's a major issue, veterans who know the maps well will not have this problem though.

If developers read this, please consider providing some help (may be optional) for players to find the exits (like marks on the ground or some objects) in such events where we are time limited. The whole point of the Darkwalker is to set up strategies to escape it, it is not to helplessly look for an exit which we know is near but well hidden :) (and die just because of this).

Edited by yoli
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Haha, I ran into this problem while playing. The thing is, I know where most of the exits are in most of the regions. In Coastal Highway though, I was intending to go to Mystery Lake but ended up at the Rockfall. That's when I realized that the way to Mystery Lake was higher in elevation, and I know that normally. But I was panicking and made a mistake XD

• Like 1

In Pleasant Valley I was coming from north and there are two exists south-east and south-west: I couldn't find any of them!!!  For one the Darkwalker was near so I had no time to really search, for the other one I just gave up, this was too boring to spend so much time just to find an exit!

Edited by yoli

Yeah, died from getting lost in bleak inlet twice. I always do random spawn, and of course it picks the new map twice. Both times I jumped off cliffs rather than let the darkwalker get me. I hate to say it but it’s kinda scary...rather jump than see what it does at the end...

Hey guys, just to recenter on the topic here, I am not complaining about being lost: there is a full map with direction the character is heading to, so chances to be lost are low. The problem are the exits: in some maps they are well hidden and the map marker is loosely placed so we can end up turning around and not finding them for a long time (up to just give up).

Edited by yoli
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It is very difficult for new and inexperienced players to predict their location on the map. Especially when under stress. This makes achievements impossible for them. Some map transitions are hard to find. Knowing the locations of maps and crossing points is very important in terms of planning in stressful activities.
I have traveled between "Forlorn Muskeg" and "Bleak Inlet" at least ten times. I died in fog in the "Forlorn Muskeg" area, as I lost my reference point, although I was relatively experienced.
In short, these types of events should be permanent so that new players can test themselves as they gain experience.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:57 PM, yoli said:

Hey guys, just to recenter on the topic here, I am not complaining about being lost: there is a full map with direction the character is heading to, so chances to be lost are low. The problem are the exits: in some maps they are well hidden and the map marker is loosely placed so we can end up turning around and not finding them for a long time (up to just give up).

What you could do is:  start a pilgrim survival game and learn where the exits are then apply that knowledge to the DW.  You have plenty of time.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Something that might help (with overall familiarity) is to not do any mapping in your pilgrim runs. Just go for walks (or runs) and rely on memory.  Even following the wolves around when they bolt can be helpful.  Maybe it sounds weird, but it works for me. 🙂 It’s fun when you get a lucky surprise on one and can keep with it for a bit when it runs.

Edited by Screenshot Pilgrim
works instead of worked. I have mapped, just saying it’s not always the way

I had a hard time finding the rope climb next to Paradise Farms. I blundered around in the dark baiting the walker for like 20 minutes before I finally found it and escaped to Forlorn Muskeg. It's hard but I kind of really enjoyed that aspect of it. The fog getting progressively worse made it an extra challenge. I definitely planned my routes strategically based on the maps I am most familiar with and have played the most time in. I started in Desolation Point -> Old Island Connector -> Coastal Highway -> Ravine -> Mystery Lake -> Mountain Town -> Milton Basin -> Forlorn Muskeg -> Broken Railroad. I died just a few minutes ago after snagging my sixth journal page. I got cornered on that cliff where the fire is located in Broken Railroad. Thought about jumping but ran down through the Maintenance Yard and got consumed on my way back to the rail line. 

On 10/31/2020 at 2:57 PM, yoli said:

You're right, some of the exits are hard to find in the regular game. So it definitely poses an extra level of difficulty in the dark being chased by a nameless faceless entity.