Survival Tournament?

SirSharper

many of you are probably familar with the show Alone, or other shows where a group of people try to OUT survive each other. 

since this a single player game, would it still be feasible to have a tournament set up by hinterland where the challenge is ramped up and anyone interested can join in?  

obviously there would need to be "dates and times to participate" so everyone has the same playtime. 

thoughts?

• Like 1

We used to do some community collabrative events a few years back and those were fairly fun and entertaining.  So, I'd be amenable to doing something like a tournament, but wouldn't be very interested in just trying to outlive the next guy to be honest.  Now I could see a series of events or challenges that were objective based, like for example a race against time to be the first person to collect 4 flare guns or something like that.   

Matter of fact, with custom game settings, you could design your own tournament  @SirSharper !   

• Like 1

I like this idea! Personally because I am one of the (few, I think?) who actually wants multiplayer in The Long Dark. I know, I know, they don’t plan on adding it. But a survival challenge against other players? Count me in!

~ And, realistically speaking, they would probably have to separate PC players from console players due to the different coding(assuming it is coded differently, being on a different device). Also, like you said having dates and times for the event- what about having the event going 24/7, and when you join, you are put in a new game with others that clicked the button to join also (Think match/round style, like the waiting room types in battle royale or shoot em’ up games). This way there would be less confusion, no waiting to play, and those who chose to play the event at the same time you are would be in your match. (P. S., party joining for Xbox One would be sweet, so you could play with your friends)

It should be separated out between PC and console simply because of keyboard and mouse vs controller. That's an unfair advantage already.

Personally I am not interested in competition but it would likely need to be a game with Birch bark and health Regen disabled so people will actually die.

Maybe have a third section for "the thing that gets you banned because control freak"

Edited by odizzido

If such thing happens, the setting and the target should be very challenging enough (but doable) and precise/short enough, so that tournament can be finished within a day, and have a clear and reasonable win/lose condition. There are excellent TLD players on this planet already, like who try 500+ days survival in ATDS challenge or survive 10 years in interloper or etc... It would be very hard to find a perfect condition to make fun competition among such "high end" guys. Also, if such competition takes too long for each round, then not much people will watch it from YT or Twitch. Then devs would not be interested in such idea of competition. After all, such events are about $$$. 

Usual challenges in TLD would be not enough. Even I cleared some of them. There should be some specific and challenging tasks to fulfill across all maps, within clear time limit, under very tough setting. I don't know what kind of challenges would make tourny "fun" to watch.

There are numerous famous reality TV shows about wilderness survival/escape or about obstacle challenge. But the contents of TLD is somewhat limited to try something like these reality TV show. If it is possible to try something like that in TLD, it would be fun. Some people would not like it because "It feels not like TLD, the game about solitude and nature" but I think such competition will make flourish this game even more and will increase sales. More revenue = further development of TLD, and I believe HL deserve financial success, and I do wish HL achieve that. TLD already has a challenge mode games, so competition would be fine too. 

Edited by sonics01

Tournaments ...not sure if this is what you actually want, but we have set up leaderboards and a Hall of Fame system in our  group The Long Dark Gaming Community (#TLDGC) on Facebook.  Anyone can submit their times for Challenges or Survival and its updated monthly. We have some of the fastest speedruns in the world for the challenges from players who are here on the forums too...so please join us if you're on Facebook and you want to have some friendly competition and measure your skills against the rest of our community  😎👍

Edited by Lohaan
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

you could be on the same map but without being able to see each others without having the same time consuption. let me explain

lets say player A is me and player B is someone else in the world. when i search a building player B sees where i went and what i took if he goes at the same place then i was he will find that the objects are no longer here cuz i took em but i wont be able to see him for real. we could be like 25 on every tld world during the tournament and beacause everybody is dependant of the same resources if you loot too late too bad for you and it would be like the last one to survive. it could be lest say a pilgrim loot chances but with higher difficulty for example stalker. we could spawn everywhere and every players would be able to choose where they start as we already do in sandbox.

now there is one proble... if we play with pilgrim loot possibilities but on harder difficulty it will be easy to make it to 100 days or more if you were the first ones to loot wich could be extremely long for a tournament. maybe at lets say 10 days every remaining players get teleported in a map lest say, pleasant valley and they cannot escape, pass time etc they have to survive as they did but they can see each other and kill each other with the weapons they aquired. there could even be a system on wich you can jump on someone else if you dont have a rifle or a bow and fight like you usually do with wolves. of course is will be impossible to sleep or pass time so you will have to prepare with cofee, water etc 

a little bit like a hunger games

thoughts?

Edited by oplli
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, oplli said:

now there is one proble... if we play with pilgrim loot possibilities but on harder difficulty it will be easy to make it to 100 days or more if you were the first ones to loot wich could be extremely long for a tournament. maybe at lets say 10 days every remaining players get teleported in a map lest say, pleasant valley and they cannot escape, pass time etc they have to survive as they did but they can see each other and kill each other with the weapons they aquired. there could even be a system on wich you can jump on someone else if you dont have a rifle or a bow and fight like you usually do with wolves. of course is will be impossible to sleep or pass time so you will have to prepare with cofee, water etc 

well there is another problem i saw. not every players will take the same time to survive their preparation of 10 days so heres my solution: everyone has 24 hours to complete their 10 prep days and once it is finished every players will get teleported. if people dont join before the countdown all their loot will be redistibuted equally like a sort of "airdrop" to every players that actually plays. it could be like a warning: A LAYER LOOT IS GOING TO APPEAR IN FRONT OF YOU IN 10 MIN GET SAFE AND DONT MOVE. something like that. not just in the inventory cuz if someone has a lot of loot, it could just make people extremely heavy. it could also be a sort of rock cache. the chat will say where this rock cache is and players will be forced to encounter themselves.

again thoughts?