This Game's Value

Sherri

lol, you're right when you say that ..."you can't beat video games for economical fun."

I cancelled my cable tv subscription years ago and took that money and bought a new game every month.  Over the years I've built up a decent library of games providing endless hours of nonstop entertainment.    I paid $19.99 for this title back in August of 2015.  Have I gotten my moneys worth, oh heck yeah!  with 2265 hours in the sandbox, i think I've amoritized my cost to under .89 cents an hour!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

lol, you're right when you say that ..."you can't beat video games for economical fun."

I cancelled my cable tv subscription years ago and took that money and bought a new game every month.  Over the years I've built up a decent library of games providing endless hours of nonstop entertainment.    I paid $19.99 for this title back in August of 2015.  Have I gotten my moneys worth, oh heck yeah!  with 2265 hours in the sandbox, i think I've amoritized my cost to under .89 cents an hour!

Wow! Awesome.

Yes we cut the cable cord years ago, no regrets. Replaced a $90 cable bill with Netflix and occasional rentals via Google Play. And we'll subscribe to Crave or AmazonPrime for one month at a time to binge a particular show or two.

Now with the kids getting more into the Switch and gaming, the value of games have really jumped up. A family of 5 enjoying a $30 MineCraft purchase is awesome. :)

Before my kids developed their own interests in games, we used play the Shadow Hearts Triology on PS2.
we turned watching TV into interactive role playing and we all took turns through out the evening playing those titles.  We would get the strategy books and one of the kids would always be reading out loud while the other played.  I think the most time we ever put into a title back then was almost 200 hour playing Final Fantasy X!  We worked diligently as a team and by the time the final boss fight came along, each of our characters were totally maxed out in their skills and each had their legendary weapons.  It was so anticlimactic at the end when we defeated Jecht in mere minutes!  

On 7/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, Sherri said:

I have almost 180 hours into TLD.

I paid $13.59 CAD on sale.

That's less than 8 cents per hour of entertainment!

Whew. You can't beat video games for economical fun. 😁

I paid even less and end up somehwere around 3 cents/hour. It's ridiculous. And that's for a game that won't spam you to buy figments like weapon skins and such. Thank heavens for a gaming company that care to conserve its soul. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I have thousands of hours played too, amazing value for the price.  For myself, at least.  I bought the game for several friends just to make the value equation a bit more for fair for Hinterland.  :coffee:

Right?  I've gifted a copy to all of nieces and nephews as well!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Guest jeffpeng

I've paid 25 euros and I've got north of 3000 hours. Yeah, I know, I should get a hobby 😄

I love hobbies!

Indeed, the dollars I've spent have faded to insignificance.  I like to paint landscapes, so the true value for me is akin to getting permission to scout around on private land.  The Long Dark is virtually an endless study of perspective, mood, and color, among other things.   And my real feet stay dry.  😉

Guest jeffpeng

Well, to be totally honest I do have other things I like to waste time on, which is, I guess, the barebones definition of a hobby 😄 Sadly painting is not among them as my artistic talents are limited to music. But I couldn't draw a picture of myself that exceeded that handiwork of my 6 year old son if my life depended on it. And even my son isn't particularly talented in this regard. That being being said: I can really appreciate the quite outstandinging work they have done on the soundtrack, which I regard to be one of the most iconic ones in video game history.