New Affliction Scurvy

Ahatch

You might be interested in reading the Wikipedia article about Professor Vilhjalmur Stefansson and his studies regarding the native diets of the Inuit people.

His studies of their diet, which was comprised of nothing but meat and fish for 6 to 9 months per year, showed it is quite possible to enjoy good health and remain scurvy free eating nothing but animal products.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Ahatch said:

So you've eaten nothing but meat for days on end so you get scurvy

I'm fairly certain that Scurvy is one of those things that more or less takes a couple of months to develop (not days), and indicative of an extreme deficiency.  There also comes a point when a game can have so many afflictions to deal with that the micromanagement aspect can start to leach the fun out a game.  I've mentioned this kind of thing before so I will just echo it here:

On 11/10/2019 at 11:46 PM, ManicManiac said:

I feel there comes a point where there is only so much micromanaging that can be done before it stops being fun and starts just feeling like a slog...
[text removed for brevity]
There is only so much micromanaging I want to have to do in a video game.  That's why I don't enjoy and won't play most of Sid Meier's games.

:coffee::fire:

If the Hinterland team feels this kind of thing would add value to their game, then fine... but as it stands now, I think the game is engaging enough as its.  We already have folks who very strongly dislike Cabin Fever... I can imagine how many folks would howl on if they had to deal with Scurvy as well.  Personally, I'm fine with this never being incorporated into this game.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

I'm cool with adding scurvy and protein poisoning, the issue with scurvy is though... is that canned goods eventually run out. :/ 

As a side note to scurvy.

We all know that humans don't manufacture vitamin C because the last step in the cycle lacks the enzyme needed to catalyze the reaction.  What I found out was that the reaction can still take place, because the substrates were present, without the enzyme, albeit at a minuscule rate however surprisingly enough vitamin C can be produced that can prevent scurvy in most cases.  One problem for humans is that some significant proportion of them have a fault in the cycle farther up the chain that prevents the synthesis of the needed substrates in which case production of vitamin C cannot occur at all.  A rate that is 1/1,000 of what would be produced if the functional enzyme was present is minuscule  but nevertheless greater than 0 and, of course, it does not mean you have healthy levels of vitamin C but you would tend to not be subject to scurvy. Probably. Depends. 

Polar explorers in the Scott/ Shackleton/ Amundsen era (just prior to proper scientific understanding of scurvy) would recover from scurvy symptoms developed on treks into the interior, when they were mainly eating biscuits and dried pemmican, when they got back to their coastal bases and had a fresh diet of seal meat.  The survival of most of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party is a good example.

Conversely, eating dog meat possibly contributed to the death of a member of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition- the livers of the dogs contained excess Vitamin A which proved poisonous. 

if we are going to go the route of diet based afflictions then they will need to rework the entire food system to include renewable sources of fruit, vegetable, grain, or whatever you propose we need to balance a diet.  the options given to us on interloper are very limited already and they degrade fast, i dont see any way we could survive with a system like this, and franlkly i think its a bit too much for this type of game, its not an ultra-realistic survival simulator and it never will be