First time Interloper problems

Makex

Hello,

First time i've survived more than few days in loper and running to a problem when you drink warm drink and warmth bonus doesn't start all over again but it stops when

the countdown is finished even you just drank new cup of warm coffee or what ever was in hand that time.

I think it should start over. Is the solution drink the liquid after countdown is over not during it?

And holys... weather is harsh compered to voyageur. I am at day 22 and bearly moved away from Mystery Lake.

I think i don't get past day 30 because i can't get to the forge fast enough.

The wolfs isn't the biggest problem as i first thought they would (not Timberwolfs). Few close encounters but no fights yet. My condition is mostly between 5-45%, which means one wrestle and i am finished.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Makex said:

Hello, First time i've survived more than few days in loper and running to a problem when you drink warm drink and warmth bonus doesn't start all over again but it stops when the countdown is finished even you just drank new cup of warm coffee or what ever was in hand that time. I think it should start over. Is the solution drink the liquid after countdown is over not during it?

And holys... weather is harsh compered to voyageur. I am at day 22 and bearly moved away from Mystery Lake. I think i don't get past day 30 because i can't get to the forge fast enough.

The wolfs isn't the biggest problem as i first thought they would (not Timberwolfs). Few close encounters but no fights yet. My condition is mostly between 5-45%, which means one wrestle and i am finished.

Yeah, interloper is a heavy handed mistress......all wolf encounters without proper clothing is instant death. No hope, so avoid wolfies at all costs!
Best I can tell you is to make sure you get your priorities straight.....Know where you are and where your going....Find good shelter! Sure backup shelter can help, but do not stay in there for long. Once the storm passes, get going! This way you can scavenge food and water along the way.

Once you know your alive, make clothing the number one priority. It might not be good enough to keep you warm through the weather, but every little bit helps. Id suggest avoiding crafting this early along, but the cloth wrapped hat and gloves might be ok.

After that, well its up to you, but Id make getting to a forge a priority. Yeah you need a hammer, but sometimes you can find one nearby or along the way if you look for it.

Get 2 knives, 1 hatchet, 10 arrow heads {if possible} If your lucky enough to find a hacksaw before the hammer, go ahead and hit a maple or two and a couple birch saplings. 

Craft bow n arrow, begin the crafting of all craftings...deerskin pants, bunny mits, wolfy coat. Good luck!

P.s. Oh and do not eat the bear or wolf meat. It is bad, even when its cooked, its bad.

16 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, interloper is a heavy handed mistress......all wolf encounters without proper clothing is instant death. No hope, so avoid wolfies at all costs!
Best I can tell you is to make sure you get your priorities straight.....Know where you are and where your going....Find good shelter! Sure backup shelter can help, but do not stay in there for long. Once the storm passes, get going! This way you can scavenge food and water along the way.

She sure is. I think i got lucky more than once with wolfs in this run. I have tried my very best to avoid those furballs but this new AI doesn't do any favors when you try to flee them. I get too comfy too fast and don't want to leave and it kills me every time.                                               

Once you know your alive, make clothing the number one priority. It might not be good enough to keep you warm through the weather, but every little bit helps. Id suggest avoiding crafting this early along, but the cloth wrapped hat and gloves might be ok.

I have made miself rabbitpeltmittens and hat already :)

After that, well its up to you, but Id make getting to a forge a priority. Yeah you need a hammer, but sometimes you can find one nearby or along the way if you look for it.

Forge is where i am heading next but for some reason i want to go to Desolation point forge!? Was it Rigen or something like that.

Get 2 knives, 1 hatchet, 10 arrow heads {if possible} If your lucky enough to find a hacksaw before the hammer, go ahead and hit a maple or two and a couple birch saplings. 

This was next head-scratcher what to do when you get there. This made things a lot easier. I have found hacksaw and heavyhammer in Mystery lake. I have birch drying but haven't found any maple yet.

17 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Craft bow n arrow, begin the crafting of all craftings...deerskin pants, bunny mits, wolfy coat. Good luck!

P.s. Oh and do not eat the bear or wolf meat. It is bad, even when its cooked, its bad.

Thank you for these tips. This was more than helpful. Happy hunting.

9 minutes ago, Makex said:

Forge is where i am heading next but for some reason i want to go to Desolation point forge!? Was it Rigen or something like that.

Desolation Point is seen by many as the safer forge but in reality it's not. You have to go through the wolf gauntlet at Crumbling Highway to get there, meaning evading 2 to 3 wolves to get to the old island connector. Not fun. Getting there, you'll have little to no food, so forge away and go back home to DP if you don't have cured guts and saplings to make a bow. Forging and crafting by DP may give you cabin fever. 

Forlorn has weak ice, a cold and open to the elements forge and plenty of dangers to deal with but man it has food! Cattails galore, you'll never run out of food forging in FM, but you might run out of fuel. Cabin fever is never a problem here, Spence's ruined barn is considered an outside location. 

But seriously, find maple. Little point in forging if you can't make a bow. The bow makes you virtually invunerable and enables you to feed yourself forever, if you're a decent shot. Good luck!

32 minutes ago, Dan_ said:

Desolation Point is seen by many as the safer forge but in reality it's not. You have to go through the wolf gauntlet at Crumbling Highway to get there, meaning evading 2 to 3 wolves to get to the old island connector. Not fun. Getting there, you'll have little to no food, so forge away and go back home to DP if you don't have cured guts and saplings to make a bow. Forging and crafting by DP may give you cabin fever. 

Forlorn has weak ice, a cold and open to the elements forge and plenty of dangers to deal with but man it has food! Cattails galore, you'll never run out of food forging in FM, but you might run out of fuel. Cabin fever is never a problem here, Spence's ruined barn is considered an outside location. 

But seriously, find maple. Little point in forging if you can't make a bow. The bow makes you virtually invunerable and enables you to feed yourself forever, if you're a decent shot. Good luck!

I think i go to Forlorn after reading this. Cabin fever, no decent clothes and minimal food recources is bad combination. Mayby next time. Thank you.

21 hours ago, Makex said:

And holys... weather is harsh compered to voyageur. I am at day 22 and bearly moved away from Mystery Lake.

That's your problem right there. The weather at the beginning is the best you'll get. So keep moving. Loot most of PV, ML and CH in the first days. Don't stay anywhere long and just move from place to place. You don't have to rush through all the maps, but I like to hit those three before settling down anywhere for crafting. You need a hacksaw, heavy hammer, mag lens and a bed roll.

At the same time work towards getting some bunny and deer skins. Hit the deer carcasses early on. It's an easy hide and you get a deer steak on each one. Things like the rabbit skin mittens are easy to make and really help. For a while you can actually be relatively warm in the late afternoon. With that I mean one arrow down. That allows you be outside for a long time without freezing.

I think i don't get past day 30 because i can't get to the forge fast enough.

Forging can be done early on too. I used to do it on the Riken too and it's not too hard. But Spence's is definitely easier. DP isn't that interesting otherwise.

In my last game I only got knives and arrows at Spence's and skipped the hatchet. Then I went to the Riken later on in the run to make the hatchet before I visited HRV.

Mystery Lake isn't a bad place. There are tons of cat tails there. And I love crafting in the dam, hunting in the ravine and having a nice cave there. But you can't hole up in a single map that early. There just isn't enough loot for that so you need to cover a wider area.

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

That's your problem right there. The weather at the beginning is the best you'll get. So keep moving. Loot most of PV, ML and CH in the first days. Don't stay anywhere long and just move from place to place. You don't have to rush through all the maps, but I like to hit those three before settling down anywhere for crafting. You need a hacksaw, heavy hammer, mag lens and a bed roll.

At the same time work towards getting some bunny and deer skins. Hit the deer carcasses early on. It's an easy hide and you get a deer steak on each one. Things like the rabbit skin mittens are easy to make and really help. For a while you can actually be relatively warm in the late afternoon. With that I mean one arrow down. That allows you be outside for a long time without freezing.

Forging can be done early on too. I used to do it on the Riken too and it's not too hard. But Spence's is definitely easier. DP isn't that interesting otherwise.

In my last game I only got knives and arrows at Spence's and skipped the hatchet. Then I went to the Riken later on in the run to make the hatchet before I visited HRV.

Mystery Lake isn't a bad place. There are tons of cat tails there. And I love crafting in the dam, hunting in the ravine and having a nice cave there. But you can't hole up in a single map that early. There just isn't enough loot for that so you need to cover a wider area.

I think i have been spoiled from all the goodies you get in voyageur. You don't have to move so quickly and you get so much stuff from one place. This have to change if i'm ever going to wish to have 100+ day run in interloper. I'm so inexperienced that any moving take some time and time is not what we have.

Mystery lake is a great place to be in when you have made bow and arrows. I'm currently at Coastal Highway and moving towards Pleasant Valley.

5 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Little point in forging if you can't make a bow.

Well, a makeshift knife is worth some amount of effort. Yeah a bow is necessary for a long run, but even if all you get out of a forge run is some heads and a knife, Id still value that more than nothing.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the hat isn't that important at the beginning if you have a toque. It's quick to craft though. What's easy to miss is the deer hides from the carcasses. Don't assume you need to hunt deer for their skin. That puts you way behind. You just need 5 hides for the boots and pants. You can easily get that in ML. One in the hydro dam yard. Two in Winding River (+another one in the transition cave). Two in the Ravine (one at the bottom). One at Alan's Cave. One at Lake Overlook. As you can see the hydro dam is a really good early base. Harvesting can be done with the hacksaw or even by hand if you thaw the carcass. Ideally you have a fire anyways, but it's also possible to just rip off the hide if you can take the condition hit.

With the bunny mittens, deer pants and deer boots you're in a pretty good situation in the first month. But the temperature keeps falling...

Edited by Serenity

6 hours ago, Makex said:

She sure is. I think i got lucky more than once with wolfs in this run. I have tried my very best to avoid those furballs but this new AI doesn't do any favors when you try to flee them. I get too comfy too fast and don't want to leave and it kills me every time. I have made miself rabbitpeltmittens and hat already Forge is where i am heading next but for some reason i want to go to Desolation point forge!? Was it Rigen or something like that.This was next head-scratcher what to do when you get there. This made things a lot easier. I have found hacksaw and heavyhammer in Mystery lake. I have birch drying but haven't found any maple yet. Thank you for these tips. This was more than helpful. Happy hunting.

After some re checking, Id have to admit, the Forlorn forge is probably better, but do yourself a favor. Grab coal....all the coal!!!! Your going to need about 12-20 pieces if possible. Might even try to get extra scrap metal and some cloth as well. It will take some time to make some knives, and plenty of arrow heads. But while your getting that together, try to already have some maple cureing…..They take 5 days to cure I think, might as well make sure they are getting done while you try to hit the forge....Hacksaw will cut em down, so your good there.

4 hours ago, Makex said:

I think i have been spoiled from all the goodies you get in voyageur. You don't have to move so quickly and you get so much stuff from one place. This have to change if i'm ever going to wish to have 100+ day run in interloper. I'm so inexperienced that any moving take some time and time is not what we have.

Mystery lake is a great place to be in when you have made bow and arrows. I'm currently at Coastal Highway and moving towards Pleasant Valley.

Try to keep moving while in pleasant valley. Its going to be one big blizzard after another. Do not set up shop here, trust me.

My short take on the essentials upon spawn: 1. Get a pack of matches, make torches upon first fire and always use them for lighting a fire, 2. Find some basic clothing and ingredients for warms teas, 3. Go for the hacksaw, cut some limbs and put them on cure, then go for hammer, bedroll isn't necessary yet. Sounds wise to loot PV early, I also like to clear the advanced regions early, BI excepted, and save the easier regions with more indoor locations for later. 

Edited by manolitodeespana
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Well, a makeshift knife is worth some amount of effort. Yeah a bow is necessary for a long run, but even if all you get out of a forge run is some heads and a knife, Id still value that more than nothing.

I beg to differ, the hacksaw does everything a knife does except crafting. The improvised knife is not particularly good at struggle defence and the only true advantage it has is to enable quartering, which the hacksaw can't do.  @Makex is trying to get his footing at playing 'loper, moving about and making the trips actually count towards game progress is paramount. Getting the bow is a game changer in the sense that you can get pelts for the high level clothing and you can defend yourself from the #1 killer, wolves. 

I agree with Serenity that the dam is awesome as an early game base, you get tons of carcasses for getting ahead on your pants and boots, there's rabbits galore in the ravine, there's guaranteed birch at the ravine and potential maple under the train bridge nearby the dam. You get a flare gun by the ravine which you can use to put down two bears at ML and set their skins to cure, so you can get really awesome clothing and be way ahead of the cold curve in loper ( gets colder every day for 50 days, then it gets stable ). There's plenty of stuff to do before forging, and I'll maintain that the knife in itself is of little use ( other than quartering ) without the materials needed for crafting a bow. 

Carter is also a transition zone, if I already got maple, birch and pelts curing and secured a bedroll, I'll go loot PV and summit TWM for that clothing boost ( and firestriker ), then come down and go to the forge at FM for forging and crafting. Finally, you really don't need to craft a ton of arrowheads and multiple tools, I'll usually aim for 10 arrowheads and a knife, then hatchet and more arrowheads if there's enough scrap. I won't even bother sawing the shelves at Spence , there's plenty of scrap in the dam and at the trailer closer to the train bridge. Also, if you play as a nomad you'll get tons of opportunities to forge as you loot the regions ( BR has a forge as well, remember ). 

Cheers and happy new year!

Edited by Dan_

13 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Cheers and happy new year!

A hacksaw does not allow you to quarter an animal....I like to cut my meat up, and get it out of there. Granted you could cut and cook with an open fire, but I have died more than once with this tactic and Id be more relived getting the goods back to camp, especially if a moose gets dropped.
A bear is nice to go with a quarter job too, but that's if your worried about the guts AND the hide. As for deer, well, I suppose cooking and cleaning is fair, but might attract some wolfie activity, something that is highly dangerous right now without firearms. I ponder if that's what the devs wanted to stop.....wolves ignoring fires, attacking mid activity.....no more middle of no where cleaning a carcass, best to quarter, take what you can, get the heck out of there. The other reason why Id pick up a quick knife is how fast it can cut up meat compared to the hacksaw. Granted its only 10-20 minutes for each deer, but it all does add up. But I suppose this could be preference in the end.

With the rest of what you said, can't argue with any of it. Its a good game plan {so long as it doesn't take 50 days to get to timberwolf, that's going to be cold!} but its a solid setup.

With that said, happy new years and good luck out there! :) 

I generally like to harvest carcasses using the hacksaw usually by a fire. I usually will harvest in 0.5 kg intervals cooking and harvesting at the same time. This reduces smell and also the game sometimes triggers a weather change if you try to harvest everything at once (likely due to time elapsed) I never quarter in Interloper as I'm afraid the weather will suddenly change and I will get hypothermia. 

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

I generally like to harvest carcasses using the hacksaw usually by a fire. I usually will harvest in 0.5 kg intervals cooking and harvesting at the same time. This reduces smell and also the game sometimes triggers a weather change if you try to harvest everything at once (likely due to time elapsed) I never quarter in Interloper as I'm afraid the weather will suddenly change and I will get hypothermia. 

That's pretty much how I roll earlier in the game. Except that I do quarter later in the game when I actually do hunt and have better clothing to afford a bit of freezing. Basically the rule of thumb for me is: quarter when you want the hide and guts, don't when you ... don't. When you just want the meat taking it from the kill might save a lot of time both having to harvest it later and haul twice the amount of weight if you quarter. But if you actually are interested in the hide and guts .... quartering is the way to go. There is the odd case where you would just want the hide and some meat, but not the guts, in which case quartering is probably a waste of time. It really depends on a lot of factors, and one of the harder things to know in TLD is when to quarter, and when to not. But quartering definitively has its use.

In general I feel like many people focus too much on getting tools and weapons early in loper, and by that waste a lot of valuable time. You don't need a bow early. Its usefulness for protection is heavily diminished after the update anyways. Personally I feel you are better off avoiding wolfes and running away from them even when you have a bow now. You also don't need tools early. The hacksaw is good enough to harvest meat, and a pry bar is the best defensive weapon you can get anyways. As long as you are on the move and don't travel too many paths twice food isn't a problem, especially not if you employ a bit of starving to stretch your resources.

Stay light, don't haul stuff you don't need around the world. Better stash things away, note in your diary where you stashed them, and come back later for them. No point in hauling around 20 pieces of cloth, 3 pairs of shoes and 2 tool boxes when you don't need either of those very soon. Some loot will eventually decay, that is inevitable. So make sure you get the important loot before it does.

Clothing, especially rare clothing, is paramount. Tick the TWM summit and engine in the gorge, tick the HRV waterfall cave, tick safes, tick key loot locations like the PV farm house, Quonset, the hut on TWM, Hibernia, etc. If you do all that you are guaranteed Combat Pants, two ear wraps, a Thin Wool Sweater, a Ski Jacket, Work Boots, a maple Toque and 2 wool socks. The chances to get a Mackinaw are very high since one safe always seems to have one. If you loot enough locations fast enough your chances at a second pair of underwear and a second Thin Wool Sweater gets only better. Not getting a second Ski Jacket is highly unlikely.

One neat little trick you can employ to get your first craftables done is accumulate your 7 rabbit pelts on your way to TWM (they don't smell), drop them with 3 recently acquired guts at the abandoned bunker, and by the time you return from TWM your stuff should be mostly cured to get hat and mitts done. You can do the same with deer stuff. When you get your clothing in order fast enough you can actually make strides, real strides, in all but the worst weather .... for at least two weeks. Then it is time to get tools, craft bows and arrows.

But I guess the most important advice of all: Play the game you have been dealt. If opportunity arises take it when it suits your needs. But don't chase opportunity as it will cost you more than gain. What I mean by that: if you have 7 pelts when you reach the bunker - fine, if you have 4 - fine. Don't spend 2 days finding 3 rabbits. Don't detour a full day for that single remote house that sometimes has combat boots. What it also means: if you start in DP why would you go HRV before you go to TWM? If you start in FM why would you go TWM first when HRV is around the corner? In short: be opportunisitic and play the game the way it needs to be played, not how you imagined it to go, or some guide told you to.

TLD at its heart, at its core is a time management simulator. You might feel like you're not on a timer, but you are, especially before day 50. Aside from time being the biggest calorie consumer every day you spend after day 10 until day 50 costs you 0.5°C. Spending a day costs you a pair of wool socks. Two days cost you a Thin Wool Sweater. Six days basically remove your Maple Toque from your head. Eight more and your Ski Jacket is nullified. You get the idea. The faster you get around the easier it is. So: you need 2 cloth? Tear down a curtain for 10 minutes, don't break down clothing for an hour. A house has 6 curtains but you have all the cloth you need? Leave it. Need no scrap metal? Then don't break down that lamp. Unless you are hard pressed for firewood ... don't break furniture. Waiting for water? Sleep an hour. Or craft some tea. Read a page. Harvest some bunny. Make some tinder. Just so you don't need to actually spend time doing it sometime else. In short: only spend time when you have to, and when you do make the most of it.

Also: use your "potions". Don't save that cup of coffee and get stranded in a blizzard below a rope for it. Don't hobblewobble for a full day when all it takes to fix a sprained ankle is half a piece of cloth. Don't get lost in the dark just because you couldn't light a torch in the wind when you still have a flare in your inventory. Don't get eaten by a bear with a flare shell primed and ready in your distress pistol. Don't waste your stuff, but use your stuff - use your "potions".

Ah right. And don't go to Bleak Inlet. Just don't.

If you manage to do all that it's actually hard not to succeed at Interloper save for the odd wolf that just ends you. But that's life.

Edited by jeffpeng

On 12/31/2019 at 3:58 AM, Serenity said:

Yeah, the hat isn't that important at the beginning if you have a toque. It's quick to craft though. What's easy to miss is the deer hides from the carcasses. Don't assume you need to hunt deer for their skin. That puts you way behind. You just need 5 hides for the boots and pants. You can easily get that in ML. One in the hydro dam yard. Two in Winding River (+another one in the transition cave). Two in the Ravine (one at the bottom). One at Alan's Cave. One at Lake Overlook. As you can see the hydro dam is a really good early base. Harvesting can be done with the hacksaw or even by hand if you thaw the carcass. Ideally you have a fire anyways, but it's also possible to just rip off the hide if you can take the condition hit.

With the bunny mittens, deer pants and deer boots you're in a pretty good situation in the first month. But the temperature keeps falling...

I made rabbitskin hat because i thought i need it and i had the skins to do it. Warmth bonus was +4 celcius from all the clothing i had before mittens and hat. I now have collected four deer hides and 5-6 guts. Fire usage is what i have very little experience. Feels like you need fire every time you do something outdoors and usually i don't have possibility to take damage hit from the cold weather.

Now i just have to wait for the hides to cure and do something while waiting.

Guest jeffpeng
3 hours ago, LkP said:

isn't the hammer better to avoid damage ?

AFAIK the hammer and pry bar are functionally equal when it comes to fighting furries. But it’s lighter. And I Never ran out of pry bars before cracking all and every locker and trunk. So I am happy with the pry bar early. Late .... sure. Late the hammer is the superior tool. 

On 12/31/2019 at 4:31 AM, wizard03 said:

After some re checking, Id have to admit, the Forlorn forge is probably better, but do yourself a favor. Grab coal....all the coal!!!! Your going to need about 12-20 pieces if possible. Might even try to get extra scrap metal and some cloth as well. It will take some time to make some knives, and plenty of arrow heads. But while your getting that together, try to already have some maple cureing…..They take 5 days to cure I think, might as well make sure they are getting done while you try to hit the forge....Hacksaw will cut em down, so your good there.

Yeah Forlorn it is and i tried to take ALL the coal from mines but i didn't have the freight train to do it :) so 7 pieces was what i took with me. I had scrap metal (24 pieces) before i even left mystery lake. Maple is the problem right now. I can't find any. Ravine had none.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:31 AM, wizard03 said:

Try to keep moving while in pleasant valley. Its going to be one big blizzard after another. Do not set up shop here, trust me.

It was one big blizzard from start to finish. One close call with wolf. Phew... i still somehow made it through.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Makex said:

Yeah Forlorn it is and i tried to take ALL the coal from mines but i didn't have the freight train to do it :) so 7 pieces was what i took with me. I had scrap metal (24 pieces) before i even left mystery lake. Maple is the problem right now. I can't find any. Ravine had none.

For maple, check four spots at ML: Under the train bridge on the other side of the river bank there's usually a maple spawn, if that's not there, go across the dam to winding river and check the overlook with a deer carcass, directly in front of the warm cave at winding river, usually saplings there. If there are no maple here either, you can check near signal hill at PV or retreat back to trappers and check on the valley between trapper's and unnamed pond and if there's no maple here either you can go past the cabin by unnamed pont and check the hills behind the cabin for another maple spawn. There still another maple spawn point at the clearcut opposite the trailers but that's a really wolf prone area, so avoid that one.

On the topic of quartering, sorry if someone already mentioned this and I missed it somewhere, but you don't have to quarter all at once.  If you're quartering a bear or moose and the weather turns, press the escape key or the equivalent controller button.  The next time you start quartering, it will pick up where you left off.  I recently did that with a bear in bad weather.  The bear died near its cave in Desolation Point.  I quartered for a quarter of the time, back to the cave to warm up, back out again to do more.  It took a few times doing that without taking much freezing damage, then I just had to bring the quartered bags into the cave and harvest without losing temp.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:08 AM, manolitodeespana said:

My short take on the essentials upon spawn: 1. Get a pack of matches, make torches upon first fire and always use them for lighting a fire, 2. Find some basic clothing and ingredients for warms teas, 3. Go for the hacksaw, cut some limbs and put them on cure, then go for hammer, bedroll isn't necessary yet. Sounds wise to loot PV early, I also like to clear the advanced regions early, BI excepted, and save the easier regions with more indoor locations for later. 

Matches was what got me most of the time when i didn't make it more than two or three days.

Those points what you made is hell of a good starting point for a long run. PV had some good stuff and yeah I think i'm not going to visit BI and you all know the reason behing it.

7 hours ago, Ahatch said:

This is good tip also, small amounts at a time when harvesting meat. Beginner at least like myself. I just tried to harvest all 2.2kg meat from deer carcass at ravine and guess what, blizzard started just before finishing cutting the meat. So there is a point what you just wrote.

Guest jeffpeng
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

On the topic of quartering, sorry if someone already mentioned this and I missed it somewhere, but you don't have to quarter all at once.  If you're quartering a bear or moose and the weather turns, press the escape key or the equivalent controller button.  The next time you start quartering, it will pick up where you left off.  I recently did that with a bear in bad weather.  The bear died near its cave in Desolation Point.  I quartered for a quarter of the time, back to the cave to warm up, back out again to do more.  It took a few times doing that without taking much freezing damage, then I just had to bring the quartered bags into the cave and harvest without losing temp.

Good tip. Yes that actually works. Also allows to take a break and look for predators. In general quartering is more useful than most people think.

Yep, huge fan of quartering as well. I only use it for moose and bears though, fastest way to the guts and pelts. 

Wasn't aware of the cancel and resume thing with it, will definetely use it from now on. Thanks for the tip!