Passive fishing.

k0s0ff

My desire to change the fishing process is to make a fish trap.

039.jpg.a72d41c60ee67f7ff3de117ed9213a45.jpg

components:

10 branches; 3 cloths or 6 bandages or 6 dry guts; workbench.

Before each dive, it is necessary to place a bait that can be obtained from either spoiled products or spoiled meat.

((And finally you need to get rid of the ability to eat cooked spoiled meat without harm to health, unless of course it still happens)

The idea is to submerge such a trap in the water and wait for the catch while you do your business. it's like catching rabbits, but I think it's perfect for foraging.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a neat idea, though I think a tip-up would be a more ideal solution.  Here's what I've mentioned before (both as a wishlist item and what I mentioned for a previous mailbag dispatch):

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, ManicManiac said:

(Context) the idea that perhaps ice fishing in addition to the present mechanic, could maybe also be a passive activity like using the rabbit snare (the difference being the tip-up only yielding one fish where as sitting at the hole to fish already has a chance to yield more in a given time frame).  That a player might set the tip-up, freeing up the player to go do something else until the flag pops up when a fish is caught.  Similar to the snare if it's neglected for too long the fish would "get away" and need to be reset.  (I know you had a question about fishing last week, but since this one was more specific I hoped it would be worth posting)
1546585792_IcefishingTip-Up.jpg.2b7501486504582dc8c5f2aa0634f517.jpg

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

The need to use bait would be an interesting change too- you could keep a piece of meat of a stipulated size, that would become more potent as it 'aged', but with the disadvantage of attracting predators... maybe even some crafted lures such as spoons or using feathers and gut to make flies?

crafting a rod from maple to get bigger fish is perhaps another option. 🐟

• Like 1

While I generally would be opposed to anything that makes fishing even easier than it already is (especially at level 5 when it becomes free food) if this were implemented as a way to ice fish in places that don't have fishing huts, that would be pretty good.  Milton for instance.  The nearest fishing hole is over in Mystery Lake, so if you've set Milton as your primary home you've got quite a trek if you want to fish for food or lamp oil.  But if you could set up a little rig like this on the ice down in Milton Basin, I could get behind that.  The pros: you can fish anywhere there is ice.  The cons: Only one fish can be caught per trap.

What I'd really like to see is something that engages the player more when fishing, other than watching the spinning donut and clicking a button occasionally.  Something that allows a player to use actual skill when fishing, to increase their chances.  Like how your character may do more damage with a rifle at level 5 than level 1, but you can still reliably hunt at level 1.  With fishing it's nothing more than a roll of the dice.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

While I generally would be opposed to anything that makes fishing even easier than it already is (especially at level 5 when it becomes free food)

I very much agree with this sentiment, and in frankness I'm good with the mechanic as it is.

I only suggested what I did because it was a fanciful thought that occurred to me once a while back.  I just meant to convey that if fishing were ever to have a passive option (like with rabbits, in that you can either actively hunt or snare) that a tip-up would seem to me to be the best solution.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

I just meant to convey that if fishing were ever to have a passive option (like with rabbits, in that you can either actively hunt or snare) that a tip-up would seem to me to be the best solution.

Absolutely.  I think this would work quite well, provided it doesn't actually make fishing easier.  It just serves as another passive method to catch food.  Once you get established, sure you could set up like 20 of these things and just get free fish like a friggen maniac.  That would make it no better or worse than conventional ice fishing, which is already pretty much free food after that initial investment period of leveling up your skill.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

@Moll  @Valuable Hunting  @ajb1978  @ManicManiac

The flag idea is not bad. But it is suitable for outdoor option. All the holes in the houses. And making a flag on the alarm house is a good idea, but it will break the atmosphere and the principle. You need to spend time and calories to walk. and check the trap.

In my opinion, rabbit traps are a very simple option. Especially if you find a suitable place, make 20 traps and every day you will only collect corpses, carve, cook and eat. With fish, everything will be very limited in quantity.

My version fits well into the concept. This is a simple and not simple principle of execution of the trap. Fits the style of appearance to other craft things. And gives a small chance to survive in difficulties.