Endless waterfalls, where does all that water come from?

piddy3825

Every where you go on the island you run into a waterfall or two.  Consider the island is in a prolonged deep freeze, where does all that water come from that flows nonstop 24/7 with what appears to be thousands of liters of water per hour rushing down the mountainside.  I could see some regular freeze and thaw cycles, but the water still flows even in the coldest dead of night.  any ideas?

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

nope... that would imply a hot springs and pools of hot water which there are none anywhere on the island.  not to mention the multiple locations of waterfalls.  Plausible maybe...

Geothermal springs exist throughout the Pacific Northwest.  It is a subduction zone after all.  Not all of them are on the surface and some flow through cave systems and/or directly into rivers, warming the river slightly as the warm water mixes with the cold.  The temperature below the surface is consistently warmer than at the surface.  Our water well continues to produce water throughout the winter since it has been drilled to a depth where the ground water temperature is always above freezing.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Geothermal springs exist throughout the Pacific Northwest.  It is a subduction zone after all.  Not all of them are on the surface and some flow through cave systems and/or directly into rivers, warming the river slightly as the warm water mixes with the cold.  The temperature below the surface is consistently warmer than at the surface.  Our water well continues to produce water throughout the winter since it has been drilled to a depth where the ground water temperature is always above freezing.

Being a resident of the PNW myself I can appreciate a good hotspring.  I certainly find it plausible but I cant quite fathom how that could explain all of the waterfalls across the entire island.  Sure, plausible that a few locations could be attributed to geothermal springs, but all of them?  But then again, maybe you're on to something?  Doesn't the lore refer to some seismic activity that affects the island?  That could explain a great deal, the island's part of a volcanic network which would explain an extensive geothermal network.  if that's the case, my wish list now includes a natural hot springs pool.  be cool to put in hushed river valley.  what better place, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

Being a resident of the PNW myself I can appreciate a good hotspring.  I certainly find it plausible but I cant quite fathom how that could explain all of the waterfalls across the entire island.  Sure, plausible that a few locations could be attributed to geothermal springs, but all of them?  But then again, maybe you're on to something?  Doesn't the lore refer to some seismic activity that affects the island?  That could explain a great deal, the island's part of a volcanic network which would explain an extensive geothermal network.  if that's the case, my wish list now includes a natural hot springs pool.  be cool to put in hushed river valley.  what better place, right?

Yes!  Exactly  what I was thinking... wouldn't it be great to warm up in a nice hotspring at the end of a hard day of Loping about the island?

2 hours ago, TheEldritchGod said:

What will really drive you insane, is if you make it outside the map boundries, you see that the water sometimes flows uphill to make a water fall.

The whole island must be encased in some kinda quantum subspace filament where the normal laws of nature and physics are no longer applicable....