Long Dark Items IRL?

devamadhu

Does anyone else have the desire to recreate their cache of TLD inventory in real life?

This is my first experiment with reishi tea. It's not exactly flavorful, but I may have used more water than was necessary.

I also noticed that the reishi tea in the game is yellow in color, but the mushrooms in the game appear to be red reishi, which is what I used. There are yellow reishi mushrooms which produce a yellow tea, but they seem to be much more yellow overall than those in TLD.

Reishi Tea 1.jpeg

Reishi Tea 2.jpg

Reishi Tea 3.jpeg

Edited by devamadhu

20 hours ago, rancid0 said:

Well the bag says "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and Keep away from children...  so i think I'll let you try it first and if you live maybe I'll give it a try lol

Other than tasting like water mixed with the color brown, no ill effects to report! I'll let you know if I die later on though 😂

• Like 1

Pretty much standard backpacking stuff. Firestarting kit and matches, a knife, first aid, clothes, wet weather gear, a bed, water and food. What I like about this game is that if its something you would imagine you need in the woods and find the item in game, well that is pretty much its purpose.

• Like 1

TLD inspired me to try canned sardines (not bad if you completely mask the flavor with mustard...but plain out of the can "Last Resort" indeed), as well as reishi, rose hip, and birch bark tea.  Birch bark and rose hip tea I actually rather enjoy, but the reishi...meh I still haven't used up the bag.  When it's gone, I don't feel the need to repeat the experience.  Reishi isn't bad, it just...isn't good either.  Edit: I've heard people recommend mixing reishi with coffee as a dietary supplement.  I've done that, and it does indeed mask the flavor, but I never noticed any effect on my overall well being.  Then again, I never get sick as it is, so maybe someone who is immuno-compromised might have better feedback than I.

The trunk of my car is my emergency kit for the most part.  In it I have an MRE (Menu 5 "Chicken Chunks, White, Cooked" to be specific), claw hatchet, folding saw, tinder box, some waterproof matches, firestriker, charcoal filter, water purification tablets, hexamine fuel tablets, collapsible campfire grill, six 30-minute pyro flares, a basic 8x8 blue tarp, 50' of paracord, a 50' roll of aluminum foil, and a gallon of distilled water.  Also a vacuum-sealed waterproof bag containing a change of clothes, spare shoes, and $500 in cash.  Inside the car, velcroed to the back dash I have a bag containing 6 additional 30-minute flares, and I have a knife, flashlight, and seatbelt cutter in the glove box.  Shoved under the passenger seat I have a fire extinguisher.

Also, a folding camp rocking chair, because if I'm ever stranded at the side of the road, dammit I'm gonna at least be comfortable.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 3

On 7/30/2019 at 7:41 PM, ajb1978 said:

TLD inspired me to try canned sardines (not bad if you completely mask the flavor with mustard...but plain out of the can "Last Resort" indeed), as well as reishi, rose hip, and birch bark tea.  Birch bark and rose hip tea I actually rather enjoy, but the reishi...meh I still haven't used up the bag.  When it's gone, I don't feel the need to repeat the experience.  Reishi isn't bad, it just...isn't good either.  Edit: I've heard people recommend mixing reishi with coffee as a dietary supplement.  I've done that, and it does indeed mask the flavor, but I never noticed any effect on my overall well being.  Then again, I never get sick as it is, so maybe someone who is immuno-compromised might have better feedback than I.

The trunk of my car is my emergency kit for the most part.  In it I have an MRE (Menu 5 "Chicken Chunks, White, Cooked" to be specific), claw hatchet, folding saw, tinder box, some waterproof matches, firestriker, charcoal filter, water purification tablets, hexamine fuel tablets, collapsible campfire grill, six 30-minute pyro flares, a basic 8x8 blue tarp, 50' of paracord, a 50' roll of aluminum foil, and a gallon of distilled water.  Also a vacuum-sealed waterproof bag containing a change of clothes, spare shoes, and $500 in cash.  Inside the car, velcroed to the back dash I have a bag containing 6 additional 30-minute flares, and I have a knife, flashlight, and seatbelt cutter in the glove box.  Shoved under the passenger seat I have a fire extinguisher.

Also, a folding camp rocking chair, because if I'm ever stranded at the side of the road, dammit I'm gonna at least be comfortable.

Funny that you mentioned trying canned sardines. I can't imagine that as there have been times where I have all but lived on those things.

35 minutes ago, Grignard_TN said:

Funny that you mentioned trying canned sardines. I can't imagine that as there have been times where I have all but lived on those things.

I haven't had canned sardines in many years, but as a young child I remember loving them... hated mushrooms of any kind, but loved canned sardines... which would have caused my quick demise had I been growing up in TLD.