Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

After another relatively relaxing couple of days fishing and cooking up the catch.  Fishing and Fire Starting and very nearly maxed out (weathering two back-to-back blizzards did force me to focus more on the cooking part though).

As the blizzard roared outside, I sat down for a while to take a look at all my various skills.  As of this last session:

Harvesting ----------- 5
Cooking --------------- 5
Fire Starting --------- 4
Ice Fishing ----------- 4
Rifle Firearm -------- 4
Archery ---------------- 3
Mending -------------- 4
Revolver Firearm - 4
Gunsmithing ------- 4

Most of these are more than halfway to the next level already.  I think one shot with the bow would be enough to get Archery to level 4, and perhaps one more fire to get Fire Starting to level 5.  The rest will take a little more work, but I don't think they will take too much longer to get them maxed out.  I'm still not entirely sure how Gunsmithing awards experience for crafting Scrap Lead into Bullets... but if it's a 1:1 ratio, then just 12 scrap lead (or two batteries) would make 72 bullets which if given one point each would definitely put me over the top to complete my Gunsmithing skill.  However, if it just gives 1 point per batch... then I guess it would take significantly longer.  :D  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
In either case, before I finish leveling the skills... I am still going to make sure I do some more Sharpening, Repairing, and Cleaning to make sure those get topped off at 100 as well.

[Addendum]
Still having some trouble finding the sweet spot for those three snares I have setup.  I was kind of hoping I would have found the warren by now.  :D  Oh well...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today's session was rather productive.

I may have finally found the nucleus of a rabbit warren.  I caught one, and one of the other snares broke.  I'll have to wait and see if this spot is productive, but at least I'm snaring rabbits again.  :D  If I don't started seeing a better average catch... I think I'll just move the snares to the spot there on the shore of Crystal Lake.  I've been watching those rabbits a while longer and I think I have a good idea about where that sweet spot will be.

I've also finished with the Ice Fishing and Fire Starting skills.
So far, my best catch was a 5.23 kg Smallmouth Bass. :)
Later on, I may keep fishing to see if I can catch the largest possible Bass weighing in at 6.25 kg, before moving on to saltwater for Coho Salmon (which would top out at 6.875 kg).

I suppose I'll start bow hunting tomorrow.  I don't really need the food...  Though, I suppose I could switch over to my crafted clothing, and work on wasteful repairs with a more easily renewable resource (by that I mean pelts).  This way I could train up my three ranged skills while also working on mending.  I suppose I should just focus on deer and rabbits.... after all I have more of those items than anything else.  I have one extra moose pelt (because when I was originally hunting, I didn't account for finding a satchel), but I suppose I could at some point hunt a bear to repair the coat or bedroll.

One day at a time though... I need to stay cautious and careful.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Over the next couple of days I finished up cooking fish and checking snares.
Once I'd gotten those loose ends tied up, I decided it was finally time to commit to getting proficient with the bow.
(It's been a couple of years since I've really used it :D)

Early the next morning I grabbed the most worn bow and two arrows.  I figured the first outing was just going to be trying to get a feel for aiming and shot placement again.  However, it turned out that it was still more or less the same as I remembered it, but I did nearly miss my first shot at a deer that was out on Crystal Lake.  The shoot certainly would have missed, but just as I loosed the arrow the deer very politely stepped right into the shot.  Fortunately, the arrow struck the top portion of the neck and it dropped promptly.  With that one lucky shot, I'd made level 4.

After stashing my kill, I decided to head back out to start working on refining my shot placement.  I figured the best way would be to go after smaller targets... so I decided I would get my practice on rabbits.  I drew back, tried to use the same reference points as before (while trying to estimate the difference in elevation due to the shorter range), and dropped the rabbit in mid-bound.

The next morning, I decided to go for the remaining deer that was still grazing near the lake shore.  This time I was able to make the shot more deliberately, and after seeing how much the last two shots affected my skill progress... I realized I'm probably going to have to make something like 70-ish shots to max out Archery.

I'm glad I decided to switch over to my crafted clothing.  I'd forgotten that we don't need a sewing kit/fishing tackle to repair them, so this is much better for efficiently working up my mending skill.  I mean it's still wasteful... but at least those resources are easily renewable since I'm going to be constantly on the hunt anyway. :)

I suppose tomorrow I may head over to the lower Wing Wreckage.  It's going to be several days before deer return to Crystal Lake.  I may even try the Hunter's Blind in Pleasant Valley (that way I can still haul back the kill in relative safety).

As much as I don't like it, I know that I'll probably chalk up a lot of misses as I get used to the bow and arrow again... but honestly, there's really no other way for me to practice without eventually affecting my "accuracy percentage."  :D

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I'm glad I decided to switch over to my crafted clothing.  I'd forgotten that we don't need a sewing kit/fishing tackle to repair them, so this is much better for efficiently working up my mending skill.  I mean it's still wasteful... but at least those resources are easily renewable since I'm going to be constantly on the hunt anyway. :)

Yeah, mending is probably the worst part of the "All L5 Skills" grind achievement. I remember sitting outside in a car (so that I wouldn't get cabin fever, but would also stay relatively warm) and mending for like a week straight in-game. A lot of times if it's a clear night and there's moonlight, you can mend at night outside. I also remember raiding Milton for all the cloth and curtains. XD

Edited by wilky
  • Like 1

Oops, turns out I just wasn't paying attention.  I thought I was repairing my crafted clothes with just cured gut and pelt... but that wasn't the case.  I thought I put a way my sewing kit and tackle, but I did still have some tackle on me... and that's what was getting used up while I mended.  Oh well, I'll just go back to using a sewing kit.  I do have 10% left on this set of fishing tackle, but I will just save it exclusively for fishing until it eventually snaps.

As for hunting.  I've been doing really well, and my slow careful shots so far have all landed.  I think I'm getting decently good at estimating the arch now.  I like that we can't crouch and use the bow (until level 5).  Getting used to having to keep a bit of range between me and the target, I think makes hunting even more enjoyable and more satisfying when when we bring down the prey.  I brought down the two deer over by the lower Wing Wreckage, as well as two more that were grazing near the Hunter's Blind in Pleasant Valley.  I've also taken two rabbits (near the banks on Crystal Lake)...  I was tempted to take aim at the bear, but thought better of it. :D  After those few days a single deer did appear back out on Crystal Lake, so I took that one as well.

In the meantime, my three snares haven't yielded much... but they have produced a few rabbits over the past in-game week.  I'm not sure if I'm in a good spot or not, but at least they started producing something.  Perhaps I just need more snares to add to the group.  I seem to remember many runs a go, I could just set one snare and pretty reliably snare one rabbit just about every day (and sometimes two days).  I'll probably just leave then where they are for now.  With the deer I've taken (and the fish), I have an abundance of food.  I'm just setting the snares for the sake of earning the badge really. 

For the most part, there's not been much excitement.  I've not really needed to venture out... at least not while I'm working up skills.  However I suppose I might consider speeding things along.  I am contemplating going on a walkabout.  Just bringing my bow/arrows, rifle, and revolver with me to just seek out and hunt every deer and rabbit I see along the way. :D

Food wouldn't be a problem because my purpose is hunting anyway, and food is the natural side effect of working on my archery, rifle, and revolver skills.

On the other hand, if I stay put... that may slow things down a bit (considering re-spawn rates), but I do have three reasonably safe spots where I can count on there being at least 1-3 deer.

The idea of hunting to sustain a nomadic trip around the island does also sound like a fun little side challenge...

I'll have to think on it some more. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't able to get a session in today, but I have given the idea of going on a walkabout more consideration.

Rather than blindly commit to the idea... I think it may be more prudent to kind of test it out first.  I think what I will do is make my way through this region first and setup in a couple of convenient caves on the way up towards the summit.  I think I will go to the Deer Clearing and hopefully take three deer, and tuck them away in that cave.  Then head up to Eric's Falls, hunt those deer nearby, and stash those in the waterfall cave.  This should give me some easy stop overs, should I ever want to head to the summit again (plus I can take advantage of more of the region's wildlife in a reasonably safe way).

If I can manage that without issue, think then I'll go to Pleasant Valley and do the same.  This way, if necessary I "could" fall back to the supplies I still have at the Community Hall... or even head back home to the Mountaineer's Hut.  If I can successfully "live on the hunt" at that point, I think I would start roving from region to region in order to maximize the opportunity to gain experience for my Archery, then Rifle, and finally Revolver skills.

I think this more measured approach would be wiser than just committing to it outright.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today was a really good session.  I was successful in my trial run of "living on the hunt."

I was able to cache 4 deer in the cave at the Deer Clearing.
I was able to avoid the wolf and bear on the way to Eric's Falls.
And I was able to cache 1 wolf, 1 rabbit (the wolf got the rabbit, but I wasn't going to pass up free meals), and 2 deer at the Waterfall Cave nearby.

I decided I would return by following the river back down to Crystal Lake (plus I didn't feel like back tracking, so I thought I would just make it one large round trip).

When I returned home to the Mountaineer's Hut, I checked on the snares (it had been about three days out on this hunt).  However... not a single catch.
I was a little irritated by this... but those are the breaks.  I decided I would make 3 more snares to help better blanket the area.

One day later, I totaled one rabbit out of six snares.  :D   Oh well...

That day I also reached a new milestone: 400 days survived. :)

I figured I earned a break, so I stayed home and tied up some loose ends.  I repaired all my crafted clothing, my socks, and my two pairs of insulated boots.  Then I finished up cooking rabbit and fish that I caught about a week prior.

I also ventured back towards the lower Wing Wreckage, just to scout the area again.  It looks like the deer are returning to the area.  Rather than hunt, I will let them replenish their numbers a bit.

I have a total of 8 arrows left (6 of them at 100% condition).  My bow is sitting at 39%... (but I have two more stashed at home)

I think tomorrow I'll head back over to Pleasant Valley and try to live on the hunt as I travel around that region looking for more deer.  I might be able to take up to ten just across both fields if I'm lucky.  I could potentially setup venison stores in Abandoned Prepper Cache, the Community Hall, the Old Red Barn, Pleasant Valley Homestead, Pensive Pond, and even as far out at Three Strikes Homestead.

Assuming only "mostly terrible" weather, I could potentially have a good supply of deer meat at each location... as well as make a pretty sizeable dent in my Archery Skill.

So far (and after my test run) it looks like level 4 is about 33% complete.  :D

I know I can't trust the weather in Pleasant Valley... but if I can hunt most of the dear in that expansive region, it would be a big help. 

Once the last 6 arrows ware out... I'll be at a little bit of an impasse.  I suppose I could try to find a birch sapling if I go to beachcombing areas.

400 days and "Plants Harvested" counter is still at 0, and I do want to keep it that way for as long as I can.
However, if push comes to shove... I will look over my maps, and plan a trek to harvest a sizeable bundle for arrow shafts.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

One day later, I totaled one rabbit out of six snares.  :D   Oh well...

I can't believe how unlucky you're getting with snares.

I grinded the "Snare 100 rabbits" feat not long ago (it was the last feat I had never unlocked), and I did it in between the two islands on CH. There are at least two rabbit spawns nearby (I think you're up at TWM near the Hut, and that's also a pretty good spot). I was keeping 2-3 snares at both locations, spread out a bit, and checking them every 12-24 hours or so, and I would often snare 3-4 rabbits in a day. I did this on an old Pilgrim save, which may have influenced my snare spawn rate favorably(?)

One thing that may be hurting you at TWM is that there's no loading screen when going inside the Hut. I think if it's been >12 hours since the last snare and you go inside/outside to force the loading screen, often the game will pop a rabbit in the snare when you walk back outside. In this way, I came across many "fresh" rabbits at like 1% frozen.

Without the loading screen at TWM, my recommendation is to check the snares when you wake up each morning.

Edited by wilky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wilky said:

I can't believe how unlucky you're getting with snares...

I'm having a hard time believing it as well. :D
Yeah, my catch rates have been really sad... so far since I began trapping, I've only snared a total of 12 rabbits (and this was over the course of a few in-game weeks).

I thought perhaps that I just didn't have them set in just the "right" spot.  I might have simply (and inadvertently) have them placed on the edge of the spawnable area.

So, to try and remedy this... while I'm out hunting in Pleasant Valley.  I'm going to take down the snares and let that spot completely reset.  When I get back I will setup the snares again (this time watching for what looks like the nucleus of the spawnable space).

1 hour ago, wilky said:

One thing that may be hurting you at TWM is that there's no loading screen when going inside the Hut. I think if it's been >12 hours since the last snare and you go inside/outside to force the loading screen, often the game will pop a rabbit in the snare when you walk back outside. In this way, I came across many "fresh" rabbits at like 1% frozen.

Indoor/outdoor transition or loading screen in general.... interesting.  I hadn't considered that as a factor, but I'm definitely going to try this.  I suppose I can leave, and return to the region to achieve the same effect.

As far as I knew (or I suppose, assumed), the RNG would just ping each trap every 12 hours or so (from the time set)... with a percentage chance for a catch, and a significantly low percentage for a break  (and change the state of the trap, as long as it wasn't in player's line of sight).

I honestly assumed my placement was just not optimal.

1 hour ago, wilky said:

Without the loading screen at TWM, my recommendation is to check the snares when you wake up each morning.

I definitely do.  It's part of the morning ritual (so to speak).  I also tend to check them again before heading to bed for the night (assuming I'm near the Mountaineer's Hut.

I really appreciate the guidance, thank you.
When I get back from my hunting trip in Pleasant Valley... I'll try what you've suggested.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On day 401, I gathered up what I thought I would need (a little extra water, a full stomach, all 8 of my remaining arrows, and a back up bow) and left for Pleasant Valley.

The first day was kind of a wash.  I got the the Abandoned Prepper Cache, but found just one deer out by the Hunting Blind.  I was able to take the deer relatively quickly, but by the time I'd harvested it... the fog had grown dense.  I knew it could be potentially very foolish to try and travel in this.  So I cooked up just enough venison to get me through the next day and made a decent supply of water.  By the time for fog lifted it was well into evening, and I opted to stay put rather than risk getting caught after dark.

The next day I did more scouting on the way to the Community Hall and noted a few places to come back to later on.  What bothered me was my bad luck.  I was hoping to see a herd of 5 deer out behind Thompson's Crossing, but instead found none.  Since I'm trying to live solely on what I hunt, I immediately when to the cave, past the Rural Store and on the way towards Pensive Pond.  I remember seeing a couple deer grazing there in the past.  I decided to just take one (as it was already getting pretty late in the afternoon), I just wanted to get what I needed for the night.

Over the next several days I hunted at the cave, the area just on the other side of the river near the Lonely Homestead (as well as near the rabbits on the opposite bank), and eventually also taking a couple in the expansive field behind Thompson's Crossing.  I had to track a couple of them (thankfully the shots hit, but failed to bring them down right a way).  I had to track one all the way back to the mining road. :D

I'm down to 5 arrows now.  I didn't realize the hunting in Pleasant Valley was so rich.  I mean I guess I'd noticed there were many spots for deer, but I've never tried an extensive hunt before.  The amount of meat I have stockpiled at the Community Hall now is enough to last for months (if carefully rationed).  I'm not longer worried about "living on the hunt."  I know I could keep this up for a good long time if necessary.

It's been a little over an in-game week now, and I still have yet to go beyond the local area around Thompson's Crossing.  I think I will keep to the fields for now.  I know of at least two herds over by the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings, and out by the Pleasant Valley Farmstead as well.  I'm about 50% of the way through with level 4, but I have a feeling that at this rate I will run out of arrows before I see level 5.  If so, then I'll see if I can find a birch sapling out on the ice in Coastal Highway...

This is a fun little additional challenge, I'm glad I decided on trying this out.  It certainly has given me the opportunity to work my Archery Skill up faster than waiting for re-spawn rates.  Plus, it does provide richer caches of food for later on down the road, should I ever need to stop over in any of those areas.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a session in today.

It occurred to me today that I probably won't be able to get my Personal Challenge completed before the December Update...
This has made me consider whether or not to just carry on, or if I should retroactively include the new region and get it's map completed in the same way I did all the others.

I wouldn't even need to put my current tasks on hold really.  I'd just be using the same rules and provisos as before, the most notable being: Once I enter the new region, I can't leave that region until I've mapped it as thoroughly as possible.  However I would still be "weapons free," I'd still be focused on maxing out my Archery Skill (then Rifle).  I'd just be forced to "live on the hunt" while I'm mapping (because just like before, I'd keep found food in a reserve cache until the map was completed).  So far, it's proven to be fairly comfortable (that is to say, being free to hunt yields ample stores of food).  Since returning home to Timberwolf Mountain after initially completing my version of Faithful Cartrographer, I've been able to easily maintain a "Well Fed" diet.

(Admittedly it did lapse a time or two... but that was just because I wasn't paying attention, not for lack of food)

The more I consider how I'd approach Ash Canyon, the more I kind of want to go a head and do it!
I think that whenever the update drops...  I'd likely take one session just get things prepped & sorted, check the overworld map to see where I'll need to go to get there, drop all non-essentials (with the exception of a bow & arrow set, as well as a Rifle & ammo - considering I'd still be working on those skills respectively), and make the trek to begin the new mapping task.

A new frontier to explore... I'm looking forward to it.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Pleasant Valley is being unusually kind to me... :D

I've only had to endure two relatively short blizzards, and over by the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings I've taken another 9 deer in total (there was a herd of 5 roaming out in the field, 2 over near the open shed, and another 2 over by the driveway).  My Archery skill is now sitting at about 70%.  I might actually make it to level 5 before all my arrows are used up, if Pleasant Valley is going to continue to be this bountiful. :)

My Rifle and Revolver skills won't take long at all... both of them are very near level 5 already, so those might only take a few more shots each.  Mending is also coming along nicely.  I did find that I have 3 more bedrolls stashed in the Community Hall, along with some more backup clothing.  I may just waste a little cloth and get all of them repaired, which should help me make a good bit towards maxing that skill out too.

I think tomorrow, I'll head over to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead and start hunting in that area.  However, if I don't find many deer nearby... I may work my way back to the Community Hall and hunt all the rabbits along the way.

As soon as I get my Archery, Rifle, Revolver, and Mending skills finished... all I'll have left is Gunsmithing!  :)

I've already broken down a few car batteries, so that should provide me enough led to make a rather large quantity of bullets.  If we get experience for every bullet we craft... then that will be more than enough to put me over the top.  However, if we only get small bit of experience per batch... then I may have a problem.

Hopefully Gunsmithing will go quickly... I'd gotten well into level 4 just by reading books.  I did craft 2 cans of gunpowder the last time I was there, but I don't remember how much that counted towards my skill level.

When I get ready to return to Timberwolf Mountain, I will need to remember to grab up the Gunsmithing resources I have stashed here.  I mean, sure, I could just leave them and pick them up when I am eventually ready to head back to Bleak Inlet... but frankly, I don't want to end up forgetting them (so probably better to just keep them with me).

I don't want to end up having to make subpar ammunition, so hopefully crafting bullets will give me the experience I need.  If not... I may have to resort to cannibalizing cartridges until I complete level 4.  Then break down any subpar one's I've made, and re-craft them into better ones. :D

• Upvote 1

I've gotten myself setup nicely over at the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  There is a bear that very occasional likes to take a stroll through the orchard and past the house, but so far hasn't been a problem.  On the way over, I'd spotted two more deer in that large field with the Outbuildings (...giving that area around the red barn a total 11 deer), but since they were closer to the Farmstead I decided to haul their carcasses there instead.  :)

So far, I've spotted 2 deer in the front yard near the smaller barn.  After I'd taken those deer, I did start to hunt in the woods past the orchard... but a fog started rolling in so I decided I would head back to the farmstead.  The last thing I needed was to loose track of the bear in a dense fog while trying to fumble my way to shelter.  It turned out that the fog was light and ultimately allowed for okay visibility... but I still think I'd made the wiser decision.

The last time I wondered thought a thick fog (which was a couple of years ago now), I got kicked in the teeth by a moose... which then proceeded to turn my chest into a soup bowl.  So, I don't mess around with fog if I know there is a bear or moose nearby.  :D

I'm down to only 2 arrows now, and the bow I've been using is down to 12% (though I do have another one with me).  I'm really hoping to finish Archery today... just judging by the meter, I'd say I'm about 85% completed towards level 5.  I'm hoping to get another long session in tomorrow, and get it finished.  (However, I'm not sure 2 arrows will get me there...)

This is really the first time, I've ever hunted this aggressively... and I don't like to do it.  Generally I only hunt what I really need.  I suppose the sooner I get these skills maxed, the sooner I can get back to my usual playstyle.  :D

I think that there are enough deer and rabbits on Timberwolf Mountain, that I can top off Rifle and Revolver skills quickly.  Though, I have thought about perhaps taking two bears so that I can repair the bearskin bedroll and my bearskin coat...   However, I've also strongly considering just harvesting the coat, in favor of the bedroll (mainly because I'll never really wear it again, and also because I really don't need the meat).

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Upvote 1

Well, I've used up all my found arrows, and I'm still maybe three shots away from level 5.  Drat :D I was hoping to make it before breaking my last arrow.

Oh well... Now I either need to find another arrow or make one.

I decided to head back home (the Mountaineer's Hut), drop off my arrow heads & feathers, and pick up my rifle & revolver.  While I was there I also decided to take all my spent casings and can of gun powder back to the Community Hall with me.  Before leaving though, I decided I would hunt a little bit around Crystal Lake and the lower Wing Wreckage.  After taking 2 deer & 1 wolf I thought to myself: this almost feels like cheating, considering the patience and player skill needed to effectively hunt with the bow.  :D

I did eventually make the trek back to Pleasant Valley.  I managed to get to the Pleasant Valley Farmstead, but not before getting snowed in at Draft Dodger's Cabin overnight.  I ended up starving a bit, as I wasn't able to get to more food in time.  Oh well, once I got to the farmstead I filled my stomach again.  I did take a convenient deer over by the Draft Dodger's Cabin, but I wasn't about to take the time to setup a campfire...  I just dropped off the harvest, and double-timed to get over to the Farmstead.

After stopping by for a quick meal, I decided to just follow the road back to Thompson's Crossing.

I think soon, I'm going to head out to areas where I know I can do some beachcombing.  I'd rather find a birch sapling or even possibly an arrow, rather than harvesting a sapling to make one.   ...I only need one more arrow.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Real life's been getting in the way, I've not had much time for a session in the last few days.
However I did get a short one in today. :)

After a just a few more deer in Pleasant Valley (mostly ones found near the main road on either side as I made my way to Thompson's Crossing) I managed to get to level 5 with my rifle.  Considering I do have a lot of deer pelts already, and I also have more than 200 revolver cartridges; I think I may just use it to hunt rabbits.

Mending's been coming along nicely as well.

After further consideration, I think I will make a trek to do some beachcombing.  The very stubborn part of me really wants to do this the hard way, and continue to keep my plant harvest count at zero. :D

For this trip, I think I will be traveling between Coastal Highway, Old Island Connector, and Desolation Point.  I'm not sure if there are any good spots for beachcombing in Bleak Inlet (I only remember finding sticks and occasionally cedar wood out on the ice - so I'm probably not going to bother).  The idea will still be to keep living on the hunt, while prioritizing scouring the ice for just one more birch sapling (or ideally one more arrow).

I'm on the homestretch.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I took a quick trip back to Timberwolf Mountain to drop off my rifle.

A blizzard struck on my way back out, and hand to blindly stumble my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I was so paranoid about running into the moose I'd spotted on the way, that I got turned around twice in the whiteout.  I did eventually make it back home to get warm and dry out my clothes (fortunately, I avoided coming nose-to-nose with that moose :D).

I'd lost a lot condition due to the freezing cold... but I was able to get a couple more hours sleep in the Mountaineer's Hut and recover a little bit.  Once the storm passes, I think I'll be going another very long journey across Great Bear.

I plan on taking all 258 revolver cartridges (as well as my bow) and head out to check most of my major encampments.  I'll be looking for more arrows and Gunsmithing components.

I'll keep my current Gunsmithing resources stashed at the Community Hall in Pleasant Valley.  There were a few regions that I didn't revisit while I was just out gathering up my bear pelts, so I'm hoping I will find what I'm looking for if I go a little further out of my way.

If I still don't find an arrow among those other caches... then I'll go ahead and spend some time beachcombing between Coastal Highway, Old Island Connector, and Desolation Point.  I won't spend more than an in-game week on beachcombing though.  I kind of just want to keep making forward progress towards "Skilled Survivor."

I checked again, and right now my Revolver Skill is only maybe 20% towards level 5 (at the moment it's my lowest skill).  I think I will use it primarily to hunt rabbits (I have plenty of deer pelt and venison already).  Even though rabbits aren't great in terms of efficient use of bullets, but there are a lot of rabbits out there... so that alone will help max out that skill a little more quickly.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Another short session today.

I did have to wait a few more hours for the blizzard to clear.  However, by then it was late in the evening, but I decided to make the trek back to the Community Hall anyway.

I left my rifle behind, filled my stomach, and returned to Pleasant Valley.  I grabbed a little more water on my way past the Abandoned Prepper Cache, opted to take the safer path though the plane wreckage, and then down to Draft Dodger's Cabin.  By this time it was already getting dark, but I decided to risk pressing onward.  I wanted to get to the Community Hall quickly, where I have a huge stockpile of water (I only had 1 liter on me).  I followed the river from the top of the bank all the way across the field to the road.  Once I got to the road I knew I'd have an easy time getting back to the Community Hall to rest.

The next morning, I went for a short hut.  Out behind the church there was a group of three rabbits.  It took a little patience, but I was able to gather up all three to harvest inside.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to get a longer session in.
I'll spend a little time gathering up all the rabbits I can find in the area, then start my walkabout from region to region.  I'm just going to hunt what I can on my way from place to place.

• Upvote 1

I finally got another short hunt in today. :D

I decided to hunt rabbits over by the "Sasquatch" Cave, but on the way spotted a wolf prowling the area.  I got low and started crawling closer.  As I crept closer, I waited for my ideal shot.  I wanted to position myself ahead of the wolf (upwind), and wait until the wolf was wandering directly toward me.  As it got closer it stopped to howl, so I took the shot.  Apparently it wasn't a very good shot though... the wolf ran off injured.

I tried to keep track of where it was running off to (I was hoping to put a quick end to it's suffering with a second shot), but unfortunately I quickly lost track of it.

I decided to finish up hunting the rabbits I'd initially set out to get.  I gathered them up and took them back to the Community Hall (all the while looking for any sign of the injured wolf).  I spent the rest of the day scouring the area from the Picnic Area all the way back to the the bridge at Thompson's Crossing, but I found no sign of the wolf.  I was determined to find it though, I loathe when a kill goes to waste.

I was about to head into the field behind Thompson's Crossing to gather up the 2-3 other rabbit runs in the area, when I found my wayward wolf.  Thankfully the shot (and the kill) didn't go to waste.

• Upvote 1

I went out hunting again.  This time I made my way though the fields around Thompson's Crossing, the Out Buildings, and Farmstead.  Even though I was supposed to be focused on tracking down rabbits... I did take one lone deer that was grazing out behind Thompson's Crossing.  I also took 6 rabbits total just on the walk to the Farmstead (keeping in the area along the road).

All in all, not bad for a single afternoon.

Progress on the revolver skill has kind of felt like a bit of a slow grind (though admittedly, it was the skill that had the furthest to go).  So far, I'm enjoying it though.  I will probably finish walking through the area to get as many rabbits as I can... but I think I'll soon move on to Coastal Highway.  I don't want to stick around here for too much longer (just long enough to mend up my crafted clothing - or at least all the rabbit and deer skin items).

• Upvote 1

As soon as I can get my crafted clothing repaired up, I want to start making my way to those few regions where I didn't have bear/moose pelts to check over those encampments looking for more Gunsmithing materials and hopefully find just the one arrow I need.  :D

I won't rush it though.  I will look at my charcoal maps to identify the rabbit warrens in Coastal Highway that are on a relatively convenient route on the way to the Raven Falls Ravine.  I do mean "relatively convenient" because I plan on heading down to Jackrabbit Island before heading back up to the railroad tunnel.  Strictly speaking this would be out of the way (as it's easiest to stay on the upper trails from the Cinder Hills Mine over to Railroad Tunnel leading to the Ravine), but I figure this would give me a decent opportunity to hunt several groups of rabbits on the way though the region.

I do plan on just casually hunting rabbits though Mystery Lake on a more or less straight path to Forlorn Muskeg (I do need to double checking what I have at the Old Spence Family Homestead - I know I have a lot of things stashed there, but I don't remember exactly what :D).  From there I'll move on to Broken Railroad.  I think this path would cover the remaining encampments to check for what I need.  I won't visit Bleak Inlet just yet... mainly because I know I don't have any arrows stashed there.

If checking over those last few caches don't grant me the arrow I need to max out my archery skill, I am still planning on spending at least an in-game week to beachcomb through Coastal Highway, Old Island Connector, and Desolation Point.

I know I've mulled it over a lot... but I find that the more I've been able to think about it, the more I've been able to refine the plan (which I suppose keeps me more on track, rather than just wondering around).  :D

• Upvote 1

The next morning I quickly made my way back to the Community Hall, did what repairs I could, and made my way out to Coastal Highway.  I made the first loop down to Misanthropes Homestead, over to Jackrabbit Island, the Fishing Village, then to the Bridge.  I was able to take 13 (or so) rabbits over the course of a few days (blizzard and heavy fog slowed things down considerably).

I spent another day cooking out in the Fishing Hut neat the pier.

I think I will stick around for another day, just to try and to a quick round of beachcombing.  If I'm lucky I'd be saving myself quite a long round trip, if I can just manage to find one birch sapling that washed up.  :D

I've been having to dodge this bear wandering through the fishing village much more than usual (for this run).  It normally would make the loop up towards the Bear Creek Camp Ground.  Lately it seems very intent on keeping my on my toes.  I almost ran afoul of it in the fog by the bridge... then again it snuck up on me when I was hunting rabbits near the same spot.  Both times it was so close I thought for sure it was going to charge... and I would just turn and sprint for my life.  :D  Fortunately both times I was able to get clear of it without incident. 

As of the end of this session, I'd estimate my revolver skill to be about 80% of the way to level 5... making pretty steady progress.
Jackrabbit Island is definitely an apt name (I'd never really bothered to take note of exactly how many were milling around there).

• Upvote 1

I spent the better part of two days roaming along the edge of the ice.  Long bouts of fog kept me from being able to scour the ice as quickly as I would have liked.  When I first went out on the ice, I saw a sapling and thought, "Oh... I can't be this lucky..."  However, I quickly confirmed it was a Maple Sapling instead. :D  Over the two days I spent beachcombing, I did find two or three spots where I knew I couldn't reach what had washed up... at least not without taking a dip.

Wanting to increase the chances to find as many items in the future as possible, I did end up voluntarily going for a swim twice... then had to make haste back to the Fishing Village to try and recover.

Considering the new gear items that come with Hesitant Prospect...  It will probably be advantageous for me to put this on hold and head back home to Timberwolf Mountain.  Crampons would certainly be useful for beachcombing (though I may end up not keeping them).  A new region also means a potential for me to possibly find an arrow or two out there as I map and explore!

Yes, I think I'll be heading back home to the Mountaineer's Hut right away, and get myself ready to head out to Ash Canyon. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I ended up trekking though two blizzards (one on the way out of Coastal Highway and another one on the way up to the Abandoned Prepper Cache on the way out of Pleasant Valley), but I eventually made it back home to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I spent some time getting things organized a little more.  Then it occurred to me that if the region was going to change... it's possible I may end up having to go out and hunt for Lost and Found boxes (I do have a lot of stuff laid out on the floor and out in the snow).

I suppose I'll just hunker down here at Crystal Lake until the first round of Hotfixes are released.
(I know it's probably unlikely, but I just don't want to risk any data loss)

Until then, I guess I'll put this run on hiatus.
Perhaps I'll finally get around to finishing all of Episode 3.  I should probably go back and make sure I finished all the side-story content.
Maybe I'll take a run at "As the Dead Sleep" (strikes me as good loper training).  :D

• Upvote 1

Alright, the Hotfix is out and I'm ready go get back into it.

I suppose the first order of business will be to gather up the charcoal stash I gathered up for myself (about 67 pieces are sitting out next to my rock cache) and drop all other non-essentials.  I will keep my revolver and my bow (I'm still going to be working those two skills when the opportunity permits).  Other than that, it's going to be back down to my nomadic "bare essentials."  Even with all that charcoal and box of cartridges, I'm still at just over 30 kg (giving me a good leeway for climbing and gathering resources to establish myself in Ash Canyon).

Next I'm going to have to find where the new exit leading to Ash Canyon is actually located.  I've avoided reading or watching anything that would spoil this grand new adventure... but that means, I'll have to find it first. :D

I spent one game-day getting things (and me) mended, recovered, and dried out. 

The next morning I headed out in search of the entrance.  I figured it might be up on one of the higher levels (perhaps by Eric's Falls or maybe the Deer Clearing), so I headed there first.  After searching around and finding nothing new or out of place, I ended up heading back down around the other side on the way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.  I spent the rest of the day looking at my map and trying to pick out other potential spots to look...

The next day, I decided I would head over to the Forest Cave and then on to more thoroughly search through echo ravine.  Once I finally found the entrance, I made sure to get it marked on my map.  I decided to hold off one more day, just to make sure I filled my stomach and had a couple of days worth of water with me.

Tomorrow, I'll make the trek into Ash Canyon to start exploring in earnest. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I left early the next morning, and made it to Ash Canyon.

I just sort of arbitrarily chose to head off to the left, following the ridge line (trying to thoroughly map along the way).  I found Shattered Cove and continued on through the narrow passage way.  Each step taken carefully, if I came upon a wolf in here... there wouldn't be much chance for escape.  With all the mapping I'd done, the night was quickly creeping up on me.  I needed to find shelter, and I was starting to think I wasn't going find it.  Maybe I'd picked the wrong direction... but it was kind of too late to turn back now.  Fortunately I did finally find a cave.

I'd counted on being able to find shelter and hunt some food... but so far I'd only lucked into a cave (and no good opportunities to start building up a food supply).  I held on to my well fed buff until late into the next morning, but I pressed ahead anyway.  I kept moving forward to in hopes of finding a  good place to establish an encampment.  I made it up the rope at the end of the passage, and even found myself working my way up and behind Broad Falls.

I've decided to hold up here for a while to try and decide what to do next (I had to end the session anyway)...

Looking at my map, I'm way to far into the region to safely turn back now.  I do have some birch bark tea ready to brew, but that will only buy me a day or maybe two at the most.  I do still have my 5 emergency cattails (that I collected by beachcombing early in the run), but again... that might only buy me another day at the most).

I suppose I really just have to continue on struggling deeper into the region and hope I find a good place to establish myself.  Maybe I should have explored to the right instead.  Oh well, come what may...  I'll either find a relatively safe place to try and hunt & cook, or I won't.  In retrospect, I suppose I shouldn't have moved forward so aggressively.  However, I guess it will also test my ability to just live on the move (right now, I admit I'm struggling... and my entire run is now pretty seriously at risk).  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1