Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

I decided to turn back...

Considering I still hadn't found a good place to establish a foothold in the region, I felt it was too risky to continue pressing forward blindly.  I headed back down the path, and explored more of the area around the falls.  Thankfully, I spotted the Angler's Den.  This seemed like the perfect spot to get settled in.  I saw a few deer nearby, as well as some rabbits.  I continued on and found that this area circles back through a pass leading to the Bitter Marsh (which itself ended up being back in familiar territory).  I did some fishing at the ruined fishing hut, and ended up spending the night there next to the fire.  I cooked up my catch, and slept in 1 hour intervals to build up a respectable water supply.  The weather was rough that night, but I was able to shift from one side of the hut to the other to avoid the blistering winds.  The next morning I filled my stomach and made my way back to the Angler's Hut.

Once I got back to what has become my main encampment (for not at least), I use my revolver to take one of the deer.  After getting that cooked up and stowed away, I tried thinking of ways I might bolster my food supply so that I could start venturing out further from here.  I decided to hunt the lone wolf that was prowling close to the pass leading back to Bitter Marsh.  The idea being, that once the pass was safe (at least for a few days), I could fish down at Bitter Marsh and safely haul my catch back to the Angler's Den.  Unfortunately my shot only wounded the wolf, so I had to step back to block the bitter wind behind a tree while waiting for the wolf to finally drop.  I was able to keep tabs on it as it ran around until it finally dropped next to a small waterfall near by.  I got it harvested up and went to bed.

Then next day I woke up early, well before dawn... however the aurora was out, so I decided to take advantage of the good visibility and headed back down to Bitter Marsh to get ready for an 8 hour block of fishing.  The way was clear, and fishing passed the time nicely.  What I hadn't counted on was catching so many fish! :D
I loaded up what I could, leaving about 11 trout behind and set out to get my first haul back to my encampment as quickly as possible.  This first trip proved valuable.  I didn't hug the ridge line as closely as perhaps I should have.  This revealed 2 nearby wolves that were prowling in the area.  They caught my scent, but I was far enough ahead that neither was able to get close enough to be a threat.  However, for tomorrows haul... I know stick tight and follow the ridge line.

The next day I was able to go back to Bitter Marsh for the rest of my catch and got it back to the Angler's Den without issue.  By the time I unloaded, it was just a little before noon... so I decided to go back for another short fishing trip.  This time I setup for 6 hours (but quit after about 4).  I'd caught enough to constitute another full haul, and hiked it back to my encampment.   ...all-in-all, it was a very productive day.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Now I have a good supply of food and water built up.  I have the rest of the surrounding area explored and mapped.
I think tomorrow I'll either head back up the trail leading behind Broad Falls, or I may try to get back that area I'd made my way through to find the falls in the first place.  I'd gotten there by ascending a rope... but then took a slope leading back down.  If that was indeed the "next shelf"... I'll need to get back up there to see if that leads deeper into the region (or if there is at least something I can use as shelter to setup a secondary encampment).

It's taking me longer than I anticipated to start figuring out this region... but I learned in my last session that I would need to take it slow and steady.  Charging ahead to try and cover as much ground as possible proved hazardous for me.  :D 

Oh, and I also spotted a moose the other day... it wasn't far from one of the narrow ravines nearby.  I may have to consider hunting it... it would definitely sure up my food stocks for a good long time.  I'll have to think on that some more... I only brought 22 revolver cartridges with me, so I do have make each shot really count.

• Upvote 1

Real life stuff has very much limited my time for sessions lately... but I did finally get back to it today.

I decided I would continue exploring back on the "second tier shelf" that originally lead me down to Broad Falls (as opposed to using the path behind Broad Falls).  I felt that it might be best to do a little more exploring rather than trying to press forward.  Besides, I figured it was possible I may stumble onto a better route to the higher levels (this seemed unlikely, but I wanted to take it slow anyway).

Before heading down this shelf to map out what was above Shattered Cove, I decided to climb the first rope I came across.  This turned out to a bit of a dead end, but I did come across some food, as well as a very shallow cave with a pine bough bed (potentially useful...I suppose).  I also found Runaway Bridge up there connecting a couple of the plateaus.  When I found a bottle of "Go Energy" I was concerned that it would be a bridge I'd have to sprint to get across, but it turned out to not be the case. :D  After exploring around each of the three connected areas, I slid back down the rope and spent the night back at the Angler's Den.

The next morning I explored/mapped further along that second tier shelf until I found Pillar's Footrest, but I had to turn back since it was getting dark.  Having my main sole encampment on the lowest level of the region, was already proving to be a little bit of a problem for exploration.  I knew I cold hole up for maybe one night, but I'd need a secondary encampment if I was really going to be able to effectively branch out and cover ground more effectively.  The next day I went back to try and explore the area around Pillar's foot rest, and found a second entrance to the region.  Apparently I'd missed that entrance when I was looking around the area around (and leading up to) Eric's Falls.  Perhaps when I'm done mapping I'll find out exactly where that second entrance leads to... but for now it was time to continue exploring.

Somehow, I'd gotten a bit turned around after passing though a small pass that lead to the area above Shattered Cove.  I spent the entire day mapping and trying to get my bearings again.  It was near night fall when I finally found my way back to Pillar's Footrest... and ultimately had to try and sprint past the two wolves that were patrolling on the slope that lead back down towards the Angler's Den.  This really drove home that I needed to find a good spot to make a second camp up on the second tier shelf.

Early the next morning (after creeping back up the slope past the two wolves), I decided I would head to the far side ridge line (which turned out to be the ridge at the edge of the region.  I explored farther up that part of the map, finding deer, a moose, a rope leading up further, and a basin leading nowhere.  On the way I'd also found Stone Shelf Cave.  This was going to be a good spot for me to get set up.  I hunted one of the two deer I spotted nearby, and the rest of the day to stash the meat in my new cave (as well as haul the pelt and guts back to the Angler's Den).

I filled up on fish that morning and headed back up to Stone Shelf Cave (lugging a little extra water as well).  I was getting pretty confident in my ability to dodge the wolves patrolling on the slope, and noticed that every couple of days or they would leave the area (at least for the early morning - which I took as a good sign).  I did some cooking and spent the night in the cave.  The following morning I went back to try and finish the area of the map down around Pillar's Footrest.  I'd still need to find a way up some of the nearby slopes (carrion crows indicated there were some things up there, so I knew there must be some way up).  I eventually had to get back to my cave encampment.  I also realized I'd need to stock pile more food if I was going to be staying in the area for much longer.  The deer would buy me a few more days, but I'd need to hunt more if I was going to use this location for any lengthy amount of time.

I'd considered hunting the second deer in the area... maybe even luring those wolves on the slope up to take them down as well.  However, I ended up deciding on what I thought was going to be the best use of my bullets (that is to say, I'd decided to hunt that moose).  True that I didn't really need the pelt, but I did need the meat.  If I could bring down that moose, I'd have no problems with food for as long as I stayed in the Stone Shelf Cave.  I walked along up the trail leading towards that steep bowl until I heard the moose rooting around.  I got low and started to make my way around the small rock formation that was between us.  As I was getting into position, I apparently got to close.

The moose threatened a charge... I got up and backpedaled as quickly as I could, but it was too late.  The moose began the charge.  All I could do now was stand my ground and hope I could take it down before it trampled me.  I only had three rounds in the cylinder, and I was hoping that would be enough.  I snapped in and tracked it as it was barreling towards me.  I wait until it got closer and a head shot was sured up.  My intended head shot landed, and much to my surprise... the moose dropped within three meters of me.  I was thankful for the lucky critical... at best I was hoping to just interrupt the charge.  I didn't expect to "one shot" a moose with a revolver.  :D

I don't know if by charging headlong into my shot improved the chances of a critical hit... or if I was just supremely lucky.  I didn't waste much time thinking about it though.  I quickly went over and quartered it up.  As I did, a horrible blizzard struck.  I gathered up two meat bags and tried to follow the ridge line back to try to find my cave.  It was a hard trudge with the biting wind in my face, but I found my cave again.  I carved up some meat, and did a little cooking while waiting for the storm to pass.  Eventually the storm broke not long before nightfall.  I decided to haul the moose hide and guts back down the Angler's Den (where I also spent that night).  I was able to sprint along the ridge line again down the slope.  The wolves did trail me a while, but as I approached the Angler's Den, they'd given up the chase.

The following day, I again went up to the Stone Shelf Cave.  I gathered up the rest of the meat bags (in a few trips), and as I started cooking again a dense fog rolled in.  This was probably for the best.  I was just going to spend the day harvesting the rest of the meat anyway.  I did eventually decide to get two fires going, one for water and the other for meat.  This worked out pretty well.  I managed to get most the meat harvested, and a fairly large quantity of the meat cooked up.  My water supply was sured up as well.

Early the next morning, I went back to Pillar's Footrest and focused on finding my way up to those carrion crows.  I eventually found a good path up there and found another very shallow cave.  As I was trying to finish mapping up on the top of that area another dense fog had rolled in.  This session was already getting pretty long so I decided to pass one hour to make a save point (also hoping the fog might lift... but it did not).

It was still the middle of the day, so for my next session I'll probably hang out in this little cave a bit longer.  However if the fog doesn't lift soon, I may have to feel my way back to Stone Shelf Cave.  I know the way is safe (at least from predators), but I'd have to be careful not to get lost in the fog.

If the fog does clear, then I will do my best to finish clearing off this part of the map.  I want to see where this area leads before either checking out what's above Broad Falls... or committing to climb more ropes.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

The fog did lift after about another hour.  Further up the slope I found an abandoned campsite (which had a pretty nice set of basic gear strewn about it).  I even found the campsite's previous occupant huddled and frozen to death just under a fallen tree bridge .  I finished mapping the area and ventured across the fallen tree bridge.  It looks like it leads to another open expanse.  I wasn't going to press my luck much farther today (I was starting to get hungry and nightfall was approaching).

I made it back to Stone Shelf Cave easily enough.  Along the way I managed to find an impressive total of 18 more pieces of birch bark from the clusters of healthy birch trees thriving along the hillside leading back to my cave encampment.  I filled my stomach, prepared the birch bark for making tea later on, and got a good nights' rest.

A short session today, but still fairly productive.

I'm not sure if I should try the rope leading up the ridge nearby (I'll have to try and get a closer look at it)... or if I should continue exploring that expanse I just found.  With my food supply so well stocked, I'm also considering revisiting Broad Falls to see where that area up and behind the falls leads to as well.  I mean I would like to find and try out the new gear...  I have a feeling it's probably going to be tucked away in a corner that's more or less as far away from the entrance as possible.   So, it's not likely to be in that new open expanse I found (as it's relatively close to both entrances).

I suppose it's also possible that it's hidden in the other far corner (the one that I am now furthest from)... which would be my luck. :D
I do have a feeling though that I won't be really close to that goal until I can manage to find my way up to those rope bridges I've seen.

I'll think it over some more...

• Upvote 1

I did take a closer look at the climbing rope near Stone Shelf Cave.  I found another abandoned campsite, as well as another climbing rope.  I wasn't going to press my luck by trying to make it up the second one (at least not just yet).  Instead, I slid back down the rope and headed back to Pillar's Footrest.  I made my way back up the slope and across the fallen tree bridge.  I spent some time mapping the area out, and I found that it opens up into a rather nice open area.

I also came upon Climber's Cave.  This was an especially good find (the cave seems to be well insulated, that is to say it registers as "inside" so I can cure pelts,gut, and saplings here).  Since the way to the cave is clear of predators I can safely haul loads of moose meat and use it as another encampment.  I could also gather up all the ravaged deer carcasses, both to bolster my food supply and get the gut/pelt curing up for later.  I have a feeling this area is leading me farther away from finding the new gear items.  However, I don't mind finding those last.  I'm far more interested in just exploring and this seems like a good spot to make another camp.

While on the way back to the Stone Shelf Cave for the night, I did come upon another fallen tree bridge leading down into the pass.  I took the risk of following it down, it appears to lead down a one-way path... so I decided to head back up before getting stuck.  Interestingly enough, I'd also found what looked like another one-way jump just on the other side of the fallen tree bridge leading towards the Climber's Cave as well.  I'll come back to explore those more fully a bit later. 

Even though it was a short session, it was a rather productive one.  Climber's Cave was a great find.  I'm hopeful I can use that as a good jumping off point for most of the mid-tier areas of the region.

Considering the area's left unexplored, I'm getting a strong feeling that the way "forward" is going to indeed be the path leading behind Broad Falls.
I guess I'll have to think about whether it would be best to continue mapping and exploring... or I should just focus on finding my way up to those rope bridges.

• Upvote 1

I was able to continue scouting around this "mid-tier" area of the region around Climber's Cave.  I eventually made two trips to haul up a total of about 25 kg of meat, and I also managed to harvest 5 ravaged deer carcasses I'd found on the way to (and nearby) the cave.  I did find a rope leading down to a rope bridge.  However I don't think this will lead me to the new gear... I have a feeling this will just lead me around to other other areas above the lowest level I came in on.  I also found two more ropes leading upwards, which I suppose might seem more promising... but considering they look to be leading more towards the region entrance; that's probably not what I'm looking for either.

However, I think I will devote some time to seeing and mapping out where those they do lead.  I'm just not sure if I should do it now... or after looking to find the new gear.  Of course there's always the possibility that I'm mistaken (perhaps the double back route is the way to go - I don't know yet).  I've avoided content talking about or spoiling the particulars of the region... I do really want to just discover it on my own. :)

I may just try to fill up my stomach and use the one way path to scoot back down to the Angler's Den and take a run at seeing what's back behind Bored Falls.  I know it's possible it's another dead end, but I it's the path I was originally drawn to when I was first trying make my as far into the region as I could.  It's also the point when I turned around and decided to take it slow and play it safe.  This proved to be the wiser course of action, but ever since... I've been eyeing it ever since.

It's true though, that since I took the time to establish food and shelter, I've mapped out a fairly huge portion of the map just by following these "mid-tier" areas around to see where they lead.  It also seems like Climber's Cave is more or less a central point location.  I only realized today that it's a fairly safe and simple hike to get from the Transition Cave at Pillar's Foot Rest (leading to Timberwolf Mountain) up to Climber's Cave.  Which to me suggests that considering it's a reasonably convenient spot, that it's not likely to lead me up to the higher elevations I'm looking for.  :D  I've also noticed that the area is mostly devoid of wildlife.  Which means having to go further afield to hunt (there is a small cluster of rabbits out on the frozen pond, but I doubt that would be enough to rely on long term... especially considering how unlucky I've been with snares).

Considering my early struggle finding places to make camp... I think has also made me a little hesitant to stray too far from my food and water supply.  I realize this is a large part of what's slowed me down.  However, I have found enough food items that I think I'd be safe in venturing out for a few days (while still keeping myself well fed).  I think I will end up doing that in my next session. 

I've spent most of this post musing on which direction to go next... and I think I will indeed commit to checking out what's behind Broad Falls.  The last time I was up there I did head at least a couple of wolves near by.  Considering the relative safety around Climber's Cave... it seems like risky is a good indication that it's the right direction.  :D

As soon as I get a chance at another session, I'll see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

I was finally able to finish mapping out the area around Climber's Cave over the next couple of game-days.

I decided to start with a one way path I'd found days before.  It lead along a winding set of ledges, twisting paths to the first rope bridge I'd come across, and on to a rope climb that ultimately lead back up to the area around Climber's Cave.  It was quite a trek, but apart from working on mapping the region in it's entirety... it didn't really lead to much.  

The next morning, I decided I would make both rope climes that I'd scouted out as well.  I discovered this lead up to High Meadow.  I found this also lead me to a rope bridge, and it looked like it would lead off to another large area of the map.  However, I decided I would not try to make my way across.  I was still set on seeing what was beyond Broad Falls, I just wanted to see if I could finish mapping this area first.

Now that I'd cleared as much of the map as I could surrounding Climber's Cave, I decided I would head back down the ropes, and make my way down the foot path to stop by Angler's Den.  I wanted to get up to the top of broad falls before dark, so I quickly made my way up behind the waterfall.  As luck would have it, the way was clear.  I knew this was a rare circumstance, so I wanted to take full advantage.  As I mapped my way beyond Long Falls and the cave nestled in the back of the area... I realized I was almost out of charcoal.

I decided not to press on ahead.  I saw no reason to go exploring a new area if I can't map it out along the way.  Instead I returned to the Angler's Den for the night, and early the next morning I returned to the Stone Shelf Cave to two concurrent long-burns.  After tending two 24-hour fires (which was advantageous when the blizzard hit) I now had 48 pieces of charcoal to work with.  This, I thought, ought to be more than enough to map out whatever I might find on the other side of that cave.

As I made my way back to Long Falls, I found I wasn't so lucky as before.  Today, there was a wolf prowling across the ice.  I had to keep low, but I was able to crawl past without attracting it's attention.  With that hurdle out of the way, I figured I had a long hike ahead of me... and I was right.

While for most of the trek I was walking across rope bridges and along very narrow paths along treacherous ledges... I knew I must be on the right track.  Each leg of the journey kept steadily heading to higher elevations.  I found a surprising amount of matches, as well as a few abandoned campsites, and much to my surprise a bearskin coat.  While the bearskin coat was an amazing find... it was only 16% condition, so I felt it was better to just harvest it and recover 1 cured bear hide.

I stayed the night in a cave on the far side of Wolf's Jaw Overlook.  By now I was getting low on the found food I'd packed with me.  The next morning, a blizzard hit while I was surveying the ledge overlooking what I would later find out was the Mining Camp.  I ended up carving up a ravaged deer carcass for some extra calories, but I held on to the guts/pelt until I could repel down the rope and set down them down in the mine.

My next session, I'll be exploring the Gold Mine I found at the Mining Camp.  I really think I'll find what I've been looking for here.  I did see another camp on the way here... and I was considering heading that way at first.  However, I thought better of it (both when I saw the bear den and I noticed this path lead off farther from the corner of the map that I wanted to map).

• Upvote 1

Picking up where I left off yesterday...

I spent the entire day mapping around the area of the Mining Camp and exploring the Gold Mine itself.  I had to be careful with inventory space (at least until found the new backpack).  Thankfully I was able to hang on to the flares, extra food, and good deal of coal by the time I made it down the last rope leading down to the Mining Camp.  I thought the rope I had to climb in the last cave was actually a pretty nice limiter (and kept consistent with there being at least one rope climb in all paths leading to the Mining Camp).

I found a good amount of food (at least enough for another day) in the cave.  I did eventually find the bed and the gear.  Having the extra carry capacity made it possible for me to carry down the new rifle I found there in the mine as well.  I quickly made my way down from the back side of the mine, and down the two ropes needed to get back to the Stone Shelf Cave.  I decided to head back to Climber's cave before nightfall.

The next morning, I wanted to consolidate all my pelts and cured gut, so I used the footpath to get back down to the Angler's Den.  I gathered everything up and carefully avoided the wolf prowling on on the slope leading back up to Stone Shelf Cave.  I got all my pelts dropped off back at the Climber's Cave.

All-in-all, it's been a really good and productive round trip.

I also really love the many "vista views."  They really show off the beauty of the region.  :)

I will have to make another trip up to the cave near Wolf's Jaw.  Up in that area I'd found and gathered up three ropes... so I think I will need to bring them all back down to Climber's Cave so I can have easier access to them if I feel the need to use them later.
  After that, I think the next step will be to head up to High Meadow to take a look at what's beyond that rope bridge.  However, I may need to take some time to bolster my food supply.  I still have plenty for several more days, but I want to sure up enough to make sure I can finish exploring the region without having to "live on the hunt."  I'm not sure what kind of wildlife I'll find across the bridge at High Meadow, but I'd like to have the freedom to just scout and map without worrying where my next meal is coming from.

I've not tried out the Crampons yet... and considering it's a limited use item, I probably won't use them until I can go for another beachcombing trip.

As for the Technical Backpack... it's convenient I suppose to have the extra carry weight, but I usually travel light so it's not really crucial beyond hauling supplies from place to place.  I don't think it will be a priority for me to pick it up on future runs.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Real life stuff kept me from a session the last few days, and I was only able to get a short session in today.

I was able to get some more food hauled from Stone Shelf Cave to Climber's Cave.  I also pared down my pack again to bare essentials (this will give me nearly 20 kg of room to pick things up along the way).  I think I will commit to the trip tomorrow.  Also in preparation, I'm going to haul about 10 kg of moose steak up to High Meadow (I'll use that as the fall back spot).  The extra meat will be useful since I don't have much left of my found food items.  Almost all of that was used up on the last long hike that lead me up to the Mining Camp.

The plan is going to be to carefully scout out across the rope bridge connecting High Meadow to the other portion of the region.  The most pressing concerns will be spotting any predators roaming around and trying to find a cave or other possible shelter to hole up in (should it be necessary).  If the way is clear and shelter is found, then I will haul the meat there to stash it.  This would also then serve as my encampment for this area (at lest until I find a better place to setup).

I'm still not sure if this will lead to a dead end (as the Runaway Bridge did), or if this will be an access point to a larger portion of the region.  The only other path I know of to explore is just on the far side of the cave system accessible via the entrance just past Long Falls.  It appeared to connect to a larger area via the bear den I'd spotted on the way to the Mining Camp.  It's also possible that it may open up the way leading to the cabin I saw higher up on the ridge that I spotted from Bitter Marsh.

I'm eager to see where it leads, but those rope bridges make for some terrifying crossings. :D
I've noticed a distinct lack of wildlife up on the higher elevations.  I'm hoping the area across that bridge will open out to an area good for hunting.  If not I may have to make a couple of trips to stock up more supplies first.

I know that if worse comes to worse... I can source at least 2 deer over near Stone Shelf Cave, and I can source several rabbits along the way to Climber's Cave.  I can then stash all the pelts & gut at Climber's Cave, and I can then haul the meat up to High Meadow (and across the rope bridge to where ever I happen to be stashing supplies).

I think it's a solid plan, but hopefully I will have the opportunity to hunt while scouting.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

What level was your revolver skill when you one-shotted the moose? I'm pretty surprised you got away with that one!

Also I think you're selling the technical backpack short. If nothing else, I find it useful for being able to pick up more sticks/coal/stones/etc while I'm roaming around, and it also helps to make weight on rope climbs (especially if you're descending a rope at <50% stamina). Moreover, if you combine the Moose Satchel + Well Fed buff + Technical Backpack, then your character can carry 66 lbs (30 kg) at full exhaustion without being encumbered. So you can still walk at full speed, without risking increased sprains, etc.

As for the crampons, I would still recommend putting them on for rope climbs, even if you take them off again right after.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wilky said:

What level was your revolver skill when you one-shotted the moose? I'm pretty surprised you got away with that one!

I was surprised as well!  My revolver skill is currently at level 4.
I think I just scored a very lucky critical hit. :D

Also I think you're selling the technical backpack short.

I'm just saying that I don't have much use for it.  I'm sure it's plenty handy for other folks (thought I try not to speak for anyone else but myself).

Also, I tend to not to try and lug a lot of items around with me.  I like to keep weight down and only carry what I feel are the bare essentials, because I like the challenge of it.  I also tend to off load things I pick up and establish small encampments in what I think are convenient spots in each region. 

As for the crampons, I would still recommend putting them on for rope climbs

Yes, I know they do make climbing easier... and that they also reduce sprain risk.  I just don't find ropes or sprains to be that hard to deal with... so I just would rather not use up the condition of the crampon on climbing.  The only benefit they have that I'd use with my playstyle is for Beachcombing.  Getting rarer (otherwise non-renewable) items from farther out on thin ice is just about the only things I think would be worth the condition hit that the crampons take upon use.

-----
For me, the two new gear items make life a little bit easier for the player.
That's why I said that those two items would probably not be a priority for me in any future runs.  I wanted to try them out, but generally speaking I'm not really looking to make the game easier.  That's also why I like the challenge of earning feats/achievements... but I don't use any feats for my runs.

It's a matter of personal preference, that's all.

Edited by ManicManiac

Today, I finally got things situated and hauled up the last of my moose meat to High Meadow and across the rope bridge (turns out I had less moose steak than I thought I did).  I only have about 6 steaks (or 6 kg of moose meat remaining).  However, this should buy me the time I need to finish exploring the area beyond this rope bridge.

I dropped off the meat on the other side of the bridge (if there were any predators in the area, I wanted to deal with them on my terms), and started scouting/mapping.  I started by heading to the right and ended up coming to a climbing rope (at Fire Overlook) that lead to ridge I'd spotted up on the ridge over Bitter Marsh.  I backtracked to the bridge, and this time went off to the left.  This didn't lead me very far, but I did find an apparent rabbit warren.  This was a good sign... I could at least do a little bit of hunting to help prolong this trek if necessary.

Once I finished mapping along the cliff side, I returned to the bridge and this time started scouting straight ahead.  I soon spotted an abandoned campsite (found some gear and a rope) as well as two deer grazing farther up ahead.  Being able to hunt deer up here ought to sure up my food supply for a decent length of time.  However, I decided to hold off on that for now (at least until I can find a spot to cure hide/gut).

Further back, I came to a small shadowy pass and came across a ravaged deer carcass laying next to a cave (not a warm cave, but it was a shelter).  I decided to set up my encampment in that cave.  I went back to gather up the last of the moose meat I'd dropped off by the bridge and got things settled.  I settled in for the night and got about 8 hours of fire going so I could sleep without much worry about the cold.

The next morning, the deer were gone... which I suppose was just as well. :D

Instead of heading though the pass, I decided I would slide down the rope to explore the small cabin I'd spotted overlooking Bitter Marsh.  As I got to the bottom and took a look around I found the place was called Homesteader's Respite.  I'd kept the rope on me when I climbed down, and was surprised to find another rope in the cabin.  I left most of what I found there in the cabin, I mostly just took the found food items.  I was going to try making the climb back up... but it proved to be a bit too high (considering my fatigue level).

Instead I slid down to Bitter Marsh, filled my stomach at Angler's Den, grabbed one more steak from Stone Shelf Cave, and spent the night back at Climber's Cave.  That evening I lit another 8 hour fire just to get some more charcoal.  The next morning, I made my way back up to High Meadow and across the bridge.  I did spend some time trying to touch up some trouble spots on the map, but once that was done I took a one hour nap in that cave near the mouth of the pass.

At this point I needed to end the session.
The next time I get a chance, I just need to see what's though the pass... this should be the last area I need to explore.  With the food I found at Homesteader's Respite, I should have enough food for now but I will need to hunt again soon.

• Upvote 1

Today is day 476...

I made it back to the Angler's Den.
The previous few game days were surprisingly straight forward.

I was able map my way though the pass (which took more charcoal to clear it all out than I would have liked).  On the other side was another rope bridge, which lead me to Minter Folly, and beyond that Foreman's Retreat.  I mapped back up through the huge cave serving as the bear den, and I also took advantage of the opportunity to get back to the Cave near the Wolf's Jaw Overlook.  There I picked up the other two ropes (I'm going to take them with me when I leave... I have a couple of places I'd like to deploy them).

After that, I made my way back to Miner's Folly... fortunate too because I blizzard hit as I was making my way the cabin there.  I ate more of the found food I'd picked up, dropped a few non-essentials, and slept through the night.

I'd found another Polaroid, so I went back to High Meadow to map the second Visa. 

I've now completed my mapping tasks for the region. :)
I've got all 212 of the location visited and cleared as much of all of my maps as possible.

Next I'll gather up some of the gear I have stashed away and heading back to Timberwolf Mountain. 

All that's left for this challenge is to finish up a few skills, and make it to 500 days.  Then, this challenge will finally be completed.

• Upvote 1

I had to take the alternate route to get back to Climber's Cave.  The slope near broad falls leading up to the next tier (by Stone Shelf Cave) was guarded by wolves, but spaced just far enough apart that I didn't see a safe way past.  Instead, I went back the area at the end of the chasm (connecting to Shattered Cove) and used the climbing rope in order to continue the journey past Pillar's Footrest.  I gathered up three ropes, but that was about all I could carry... so I decided I would leave the rest of the pelts and gear there for later on.

I quickly made my way to the cave system down by Pillar's Footrest and explored the cave system leading to the Deer Clearing in Timberwolf Mountain.  Thankfully, I'd left a lot of venison in the Deer Clearing Cave.  This allowed me to spend the night there to rest up.  Early the next morning, I took the long way around past the lower Wing Wreckage.  I skirted past the birch forest there and safely made it back to the Mountaineer's Hut.

Now I'll just need to get settled and organized again.  For my next session, I'll be working on my last four skills again.

My remaining skills are all at level 4.
Archery skill is maybe three or four more shots from leveling up.
Revolver skill is maybe six or seven shots away from leveling up.
Mending skill I'd estimate to be about 75-80% completed (I'm not sure how much more mending I need to do... but it's reasonably close).

The last skill I have to work on will be Gunsmithing, so for that I will eventually need to head back to Bleak Inlet to craft some bullets (perhaps some ammunition if necessary to top it off).

I was really happy with my time in Ash Canyon.  It was great to be able to explore another new region.  I'm looking forward see what Hinterland comes up with next!  :)

• Upvote 1

I'm considering whether or not to head out towards Bleak Inlet (working on my last four skills on the way), or if I should just stay put until it comes time to just focus on Gunsmithing.

On the one hand, it might be fun to just go live in Bleak Inlet for a while again.  I know I have plenty of Timber Wolf meat still laying around in the Cannery's Breakroom... so staying for an extended period of time wouldn't be a problem.  I could also work on the last bit of my Archery and Revolver skills on deer and rabbits (timber wolves if need be).

On the other hand... if I wait until I just have gunsmithing to focus on, then all I'd have to do is stop by the Community Hall in Pleasant Valley to pick up my lead (as well as the few other crafting components I left there), and head straight to the Cannery Workshop.

I know I'm capable for each, I just haven't decided which plan I want to commit to.

As far as Gunsmithing itself, I have enough led already processed for making 72 bullets (2 car batteries worth).  If that's not enough experience to max it out... then I guess I will just have craft what ammunition I can, and then harvest & re-craft any subpar ammo until I hit level 5.

:D I might even end up passing 500 days before I can get Mending and Gunsmithing finished... which I find funny.  Though I grant that I don't every really "grind" in my playstyle.  In fact, this part of my Personal Challenge (the portion where I have to attain the Skilled Survival Achievement), is the first time I've really ever forced myself to focus on working up skills at all, rather than just letting skill progression come as a result of normal play.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Finally able to get back into a session.

I've more or less been taking it easy.  I completely reorganized my primary encampment at the Mountaineer's Hut.  I've hunted two deer by Crystal Lake, working on my Archery Skill.

I've continued to honor the "Venison Accord" with the Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake.  That is so say, I've not hunted or harmed it so long as it left me be (so-to-speak).  While I've not sent a deer it's way yet, I have sent a couple of rabbits sprinting into it's area... so my reluctant hunting partner has still been fed.

I may use the nearby bear den as a way to finish maxing out my revolver skill.  It should only take a few more shots to get to level 5 and a bear or a moose (I think) would be the best value for the bullet(s).

Hopefully, I'll have those two skills maxed out shortly.  After that, I will head to Bleak Inlet to work on Gunsmithing.  Though, that should be a relatively short trip.  I have a lot of Timber Wolf meat there in the cannery break room that I could live on for a fairly long time.  I could also take the opportunity to reclaim the rope I brought there, as well as gather up those 14 (maybe more?) Timber Wolf pelts.  :D

Mending still feels like it's a long way off... so I guess that one will the be the last to hit level 5.  I suppose I could go back to making wasteful 1% repairs... but I really don't like doing that.  I suppose I'll have to think on that some more.

Either way, I'm on a track and in a fairly comfortable setup to be able to finally finish this Personal Challenge of mine.  Looking back though this thread and re-reading through it all... I realize what a grand personal adventure it's been. :)  However, I am looking forward to finally completing it.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I finished off my last arrow, but I guess I overestimated the skill value for each shot.

With that one arrow that I found in Ash Canyon, (all totaled) I took down two deer and two rabbits before it broke... but I still have a very small sliver left before I get to level 5 Archery.

At this point I'll have to head out to some of my other encampments in other regions in search of a birch sapling.  I remember stashing one or two of them in my travels (I just don't recall exactly where :D).  I think I will most likely head out towards Coastal Highway, Old Island Connector, and Desolation Point (to see if I might find a birch sapling while beachcombing in addition to checking over the supplies I have stashed there).  On my last trip before Ash Canyon was added, I neglected to thoroughly check over my supply caches... so I think it's worth going to check it out.

Since I'd worn out a bow and my only arrow broken... I decided I would also try one of my more reckless adventures yet!  I decided I would lure the bear over to Crystal Lake and try to take it down with my Revolver.  I still needed to work up my Revolver skill anyway... so I figured putting six shots in a bear might be a good way to gain some quick experience.  I knew there was a possibility that this could go horribly wrong... but I was willing to risk it to see if I could pull it off.

However, things did not end up going according to plan.  :D

The idea was to get low and wait until it got close enough to charge when I shot it... then try to pump as many bullets into it as needed to drop it before it mauled me.  I did successfully lure the bear over to Crystal Lake, and I got into position out on the ice.  I slowly lined up my shot.  I knew I'd gotten lucky with that moose... and I know I wasn't likely to get so lucky with this bear.  I knew I needed to leave enough distance if I was to get multiple shots off before it reached me.  I tried to accurately estimate the bear's charging range, and soon squeezed off the first shot.

However, rather than charging me... it turned and bolted back over the hill behind it (I assumed heading into the Birch Forest near the lower Wing Wreckage).  I ran to try and keep site of it but it went quickly out of sight.  Furious with myself to taking the shot too early, I decided to try and scan the area to near and around the Wing Wreckage to see if I could get eyes on the bear.  I was hoping I might be able to lure it back to a better spot and maybe get an other shot or two into it before it bled out.

I did get a visual... it was lumbering away from the wreckage and was heading back towards it's den.  I considered this good news (I did not want it to end up dropping dead in the middle of the three wolves I'd spotted prowling around that forested area).  As the bear was nearing the edge of the wood (were I would generally hunt the deer that tended to graze in that particular spot)... the bear sadly bled out, laid down, and died.

I was able to get the carcass quartered and was able to get four of the bags of meat farther away from the birch forest (I didn't want to loose any of those bags of meat due to stalking wolves).  However it was also getting dark out... so I knew I'd have to finish this tomorrow.  I quickly gathered up the raw gut & pelt, and quickly made my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut.

The next morning I finished grabbing the bags of meat and hauled them out to a safer area.  Then made about three trips to haul all the bags back to my main encampment.  I spent the rest of the day harvesting meat.  I also did some cooking and bolstering my water supply (something to help pass the time as a blizzard had struck while I was carving up the meat bags).

I was hoping I would be able to get several more shots into that bear... but I guess on the other hand, I did effectively take down a bear while only investing one revolver cartridge (and didn't end up loosing the carcass after it fled).  All-in-all, I guess it was an efficient use of resources at least.  :D

If I'm going to be heading back out to look for a stashed birch sapling, or beachcombing for one... I may as well finish working up my Revolver skill while on the move.  So for my next session, I think I will get ready to head out to Coastal Highway.  I should probably take the opportunity to haul all of my other Gunsmithing resources over to Coastal Highway as well.  That way they're collected up in one spot; a little bit closer to Bleak Inlet.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I managed to hunt the wolf lurking up the hill behind the Mountaineer's Hut and took advantage of the cleared pathway to also hunt the deer that graze close to the edge of the Birch Forest (near the lower Wing Wreckage).  I also took out one of the wolves near by.  I now have my revolver skill maxed out.

I'll do one last round of repairs on all my gear (both sets), and then I'll get ready to head out to Coastal Highway.  Just the process of making arrows will likely be enough to get archery to level 5.  I really wish I'd remembered to note where I left found saplings now. :D  I know I could simply just go out and chop one down, but then that would count as a harvested plant.  So far I've been able to avoid harvesting any plants at all, and I kind of want to stick with that.

• Upvote 1

I was able to make it over to Coastal Highway without incident (though I did almost bump into a bear on the way out of Pleasant Valley :D).  I did stop by the Community Hall to gather up all my consolidated Gunsmithing materials (lead scrap, dusting sulfur, stump remover, charcoal, and my spent shell casings), and took them all with me to temporarily cache at the Fishing Village.

The next morning I was able to make my way along the thin ice from the area by the Rockfall all the way to the area near entrance to Old Island Connector.  However, I had no luck finding a birch sapling today.  I did gather up what I did find (mostly cloth, sticks, cedar...etc.) and dropped it all back off at the Fishing Village before bedding down for the evening (with the exception of one raw fish, that I dropped off at the nearest fishing hut).

Relatively short session today...  Next I will move on and check Old Island Connector and Desolation Point.  I'm hoping that by the time I get done with Desolation Point enough will have passed that I might be able to search them all in sequence and cyclically (until I find a Birch Sapling or until I've made the rounds twice - which ever comes first).

If I don't get what I'm looking for... or if it takes longer than I anticipate for things to "wash up" then I will take a longer hike to check all of my other major caches (I'm sure I have some saplings stashed someplace).  :D

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I spent the night (and weathered a blizzard) in the Fishing Hut nearest the Fishing Village, and I'll be getting ready to head out to head out to Old Island Connector.  I do want to spend a day or so building up a small water and food cache (just enough to cover a few days on the return trip).  If memory serves, I do have a very small food cache in the cave very near The Arch... but I'm hoping to just be able to check the ice and quickly move on to Desolation Point.

I indeed spent the next day prepping food and water.  :)

However, I have not gotten a chance really give the Crampons a try.  I have to admit it was nice to finally be able to reach those items out on the ice which have (until now) been out of reach.  I got to use those few extra seconds out on the ice a total of 4 times... now I can say that I really have cleared the ice and every possible spot for things to wash ashore are freed up.

I was happy to note that with all 4 of those uses... I wore them for such a short time that I have yet to even see the condition drop by even 1%.  I guess it's safe to say that if I continue to only use the crampons for beachcombing, that I'm going to be able to keep using them to reach those few more distant items for a pretty long time.

I forgot to mention it the other day, but I did manage to find a Maple Sapling out on the ice... but so far still no Birch Sapling.  Also of note... in my main caches here at Coastal Highway there were no Birch Saplings stashed away either.  I'll have to remember to check the Lonely Lighthouse and the Riken right away once I get to Desolation Point.

Today held both a turn of good luck, and a turn of bad luck. :D

I made it over to Old Island Connector and started Beachcombing.  In the bad luck column...  I was using the crampons to try and pick up an item (turned out to be a flare shell) that was really far out on the thin ice.  While I was able to grab it, I wasn't able to get back before taking a dunk.

In the good luck column...  I was heading over to the cave (right next to The Arch) to try to warm up and dry out a little bit.  To my surprise and delight, I found a cured birch sapling that I'd stashed in the back of that cave.

I warmed myself by the fire, dropping off a little bit of water in that cave (just in case I visit again in the future).  I also cooked up a smallmouth bass I found out on the ice nearby the cave.  I managed to sneak my way back out of Old Island Connector undetected, and made haste across the ice to get back to the Fishing Village.

I spent the night there at the fishing village (hoping to thaw and dry out my clothing before morning).  The next morning I tried to head up the hillside towards the overlook right next to the logging road switchback.  However, a blizzard struck as I was cresting the first hill, so I decided to make my way back and wait it out.

After the storm past, I quickly tried to make my way back to the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  I got up to the mine entrance without issue and took my time to thoroughly search through the cave system for a hefty amount of coal (46 pieces).  I kept pressing forward until I made it back to the Community Hall.  I figured I might have been able to make it over to Draft Dodger's Cabin before it got too dark... but I decided not to press my luck.  :D

I filled my stomach and got a good night's rest before heading up to the Abandoned Prepper Cache the next morning.

The way back to Timberwolf Mountain was a long but peaceful hike.  I took my most common route behind Thompson's Crossing, heading out though the back field, skirting past the Birch Forest across the river, then once on the far end of the birch forest cut across the river again, and stop over at the Draft Dodger's Cabin.  From there, I took the foot path leading up next to Skeeter's Ridge, but rather than deal with the wolves that tend to patrol there I continued on past Burned Ridge Cave, through Plane Wreckage, and on to the Hunter's Blind.  I quickly made my way up the rope and exited Pleasant Valley.

I quickly made my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut and started a fire that I would keep going for the next three days (trying to dry out the Crampon's... however, it seems that Crampon's are perpetually wet at the moment.  They just refuse to dry out).

After crafting the Birch Sapling into three arrow shafts, I achieved Archery Level 5 after crafting just one simple arrow. :D  I stashed the arrow away for later since I still have my Revolver skill to work on.

Over the next couple of days, I used the revolver to take one deer on Crystal Lake and one more Deer over near the lower Wing Wreckage.  It's been oddly peaceful since I took down the Echo Peak Bear.

I'm on day 492 now...
I did some more wasteful repairs on my crafted clothing, but progress towards level 5 Mending is definitely slow going.  So I doubt very much that I will make it to "Skilled Survivor" before I make it to 500 days ("Will to Live").  I'd hoped I could max out all my skills before 500, but I'd never made it a requirement to be in that order.  :D

Considering how much I'd have to keep working on Mending... I guess I could take my time getting over to Bleak Inlet.  I may just want to head over there and haul along all the crafting materials as well.  I would be able to live on the hunt (which should be enough to get my Revolver skill maxed out).  I'm also torn between whether to bring my rifle for Timber Wolves, or just rely on the Revolver.

I may just have to think on it some more...

• Upvote 1

I quickly decided to head out to Bleak Inlet.  I decided I would rely on my revolver for hunting and defense.  I also decided to leave behind my sleeping bag... I knew I had at least three more stashed in the Community Hall in Pleasant Valley, so I decided I would just pick one up on the way though.

I double checked to make sure I had all my casings with me and set out on the long hike.  I'd started out just a little before sun up and I was able to take my usual path though Pleasant Valley.  I stopped off at the Community Hall in order to fill my stomach, grab one sleeping bag, and continue on to the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.  By the time I got to the other end of the mine, it was late enough to get some rest.

About an hour before sun up, I made my way in the snowy dark on my way to the trailer just down the hill.  As I made my way, the visibility was slowly getting better.  Since the weather wasn't worsening, I followed the road but diverted to the overlook just ahead of the switchback.  The slopes down the other side gave me a very safe route between the Mine Entrance and the Fishing Village.

I gathered up all my Gunsmithing materials (as well as two energy drinks and little bit of extra emergency food items as a just in case) and head back up the slope past Bear Creek Campground to the entrance leading to The Ravine.  I kept steady pace and made my way down the rope getting me down into the ravine.  I wasted no time, I wanted to get to the Pensive Lookout in Bleak Inlet as soon as possible.

After entering Bleak Inlet... I immediately felt very tense.  I suspected that by now the timber wolf population might have likely recovered.  Sure enough, there was now a pack of three timber wolves between me and the lookout tower.  I was able to sneak around the pack by staying low and crawling along the ridge line.  I had the revolver at the ready... but I managed to sneak past without detection.  I decided to hole up there for the night, and filled my stomach on some of the timber wolf meat from my last visit.

Early the next morning I had to sneak back down to the climb (since the pack's patrol route seemed to have changed overnight).  I was able to get down the rope and on to the nearby cabin with no trouble.  I checked on what supplies I had there, but quickly made haste to get to Raven Crossing and on to the Cannery Worker Residence.  After checking to make sure I'd left food at my more common stop overs, I decided it was time to try and get to the cannery before dark.

As I approached the Gate House, the area inside the fence looked clear, so I quickly made my way inside.  If there was a pack nearby, I suspected they might be wandering further down the road (or perhaps up on the hill overlooking the cannery compound).  I made it to the cannery Break Room to get myself situated.  After a short while, I went to go check to see if I could spot any timber wolves.  I did end up spotting one that looked like it was coming in past the gate house.  I kept low, my revolver ready, and crawling closer to the wrecked building serving as the entry way.

As I rounded the corner, I spotted a second wolf... knowing that two would be trouble I quickly snapped in and shot the lead wolf (scoring a critical hit, dropping it immediately).  The second timber wolf fled quickly.  Thankfully it was just a pack of two.  Know I know the area will be safe enough for now... but I would still need to be cautious.  I harvested my kill and hauled it into break room where I stayed for the night.

The next morning, I hauled up some extra food, water, and coal up to the second floor of the warehouse.  I worked my way back over to the Workshop and spent the rest of the day forging bullets from the scrap lead.  I wasn't able to get it all finished before nightfall, but this was due to not having enough fuel to keep the forge going.  The next morning I went out and gathered up another 50 sticks before (though I had to wait out a blizzard first).

A few hours before dawn, I received the "Will to Live" achievement.  500 days survived, but didn't have time to celebrate... I had to get right back to work on my Gunsmithing skill.  That day, I spent my time forging the rest of the scrap lead into bullets and crafted as much gunpowder as I could with the resources I've been able to gather.  However this was not enough to get me to level 5.

I didn't want to create subpar ammo, but it seemed I had little choice.  I crafted about about 20 revolver cartridges (in groups of 5) before I finally reached level 5.  After ward I harvested those subpar rounds (after noticing that at level 5 I could recover all the materials without loss), and went on to craft 50 rifle cartridges.

With this task done, I went back along my route to leave.  I spent the night in Pensive Lookout again (also finally reclaiming that rope I'd brought there).  I also stayed the following night in the upper cave (near the entrance to Mystery Lake - also my main encampment in that transition zone)... but that evening took down a deer with my revolver.  With this shot, I finally made level 5 with Revolver skill.

All I have to work on now is Mending. :D

Then next morning, I filled my stomach again... but instead of heading back to Coastal Highway, I stopped by Mystery Lake to return the rope I had earlier borrowed from the climb near the Mystery Lake Overlook.  It was a quick round trip.

After that short diversion, I focused on getting back to Timberwolf Mountain.

I had to end the session at the far end of the Cinder Hills Coal Mine.
Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to finish the trip back to the Mountaineer's hut.

From here on, I guess I'll just be focused on mending.  I did also bring about 7 wolf pelts when I left Bleak Inlet, so that should cover my wolfskin coat for a good long while.  I suppose now I'll just be focusing on more frequent (and admittedly wasteful) repairs to my rabbitskin and deerskin items.

"Skilled Survivor" is my last goal I have left for this run; I'm in the home stretch now.  However, since I still need to work on the last 25% of level 4 mending... it still might take a little while.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was able to get back to Timberwolf Mountain without issue... though I did have to stop off at the Community Hall to wait out a blizzard...

I off loaded a little bit of extra gear (the bed roll I borrowed from this encampment as well as the extra food stuffs), and ended up taking more pelts, airline dinners, cloth, leather back with me (in addition to the 39 pieces of coal I picked up while going through the Cinder Hills mine).  After the storm cleared, I made it back to Timberwolf Mountain and treated myself to another 3 day fire and very diverse diet.  :D

I also spent most of that time outside.  The radiant heat around the fireplace made it very cozy to even sleep out in the open.  However, I did end up going back inside after an aurora started.  During the day I've been checking my snares, but the catch rates are very low.. maybe only 1 or 2 rabbits every two or three days.  I think I'm going to have to try exiting and reentering the region (I got a pretty good tip that perhaps I it would help of the region was forced to "reload" much like what happens when we enter and exit an interior structure - I don't know if that's a factor, but I'll test it out).  To be clear, I don't really need the catch rate to be better... I'm just taking the opportunity to experiment with the mechanics.

I also decided to feed the Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake.  It's has been a long while since I did my part to honor the Venison Accord.  However, today there was a lack of deer near the lake... so I chases both nearby rabbits into my reluctant friend's waiting jaws.  The next time I see a deer out there, I will send it over to the wolf as well... I think it deserves a nice full stomach as much as I do. :D

Now that all of my other tasks/objectives are completed for this Personal Challenge of mine, I get to go back to my normal playstyle and live purely on my own terms again (which is nice).

I have sizable food stores at most of my major encampments, so I don't really need to hunt again for a good while (also fishing/snaring is pretty profitable and doesn't require using up arrows/ammo).

As I sit out on the pier enjoying the evening, it occurred to me that if I do need to focus on mending now... perhaps it would be better to try and encourage my clothing to degrade a little faster.  To do that, I'd need to spend more time out in blizzards... and the best place for blizzards is Pleasant Valley.  I'm thinking that I might take my 6 snares, and all my pelts down to Thomson's Crossing.  The fire barrel at the picnic area next to the Church is windproof... and I already have a fairly huge store of sticks and coal over there.

I'm going to think on it some more, but I think I'm going to go camping outside next to that fire barrel for a while...

I can set up my snares amongst the rabbits behind the Church, I can be out collecting sticks during the day, and I can sleep next to the fire through the nights, and huddle up next to the fire during the blizzards.  If worse comes to worse I can could then take shelter in the Church.

I know I was going to get back to my normal playstyle, but I think it might be fun to get prepared and see how many days (and blizzards) I can withstand without seeking shelter.  :D

Plus, I suppose this way could add a couple of extra little side-objectives by making some progress towards: Expert Trapper, Blizzard Walker, and Straight to the Heart (which are at 18%, 70%, and 20% respectively).  I'm not one for grinding, but I suppose I should try to make the most of it if I'm adding adding this extra outdoor camping challenge.  I don't have any particular goal in mind... so I guess I'm just going to see how many days I can just spend out in the open.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I spent most of that evening sitting on the pier at Crystal Lake watching the Aurora, and made up my mind.  The next morning I pared down to only about 18 kg. in my pack (leaving weapons and sleeping bag behind as well).  Then loaded up all my pelts (minus the moose hide... wouldn't need it), the coffee I'd brewed up of the previous day, grabbed all 6 of my snares and headed back down to Pleasant Valley to get my campsite setup.

Once I got to Thomson's Crossing, I spend the remainder of the day hauling venison, water, sticks, and coal to my campsite (also borrowing a spare sleeping back from the Community Hall, with some extra cloth to repair it).  That evening I started the fire (signifying the beginning of my little side-challenge).  I'm going to stay outside and out in the open until I feel I have to take shelter to survive.  In other words, it shouldn't be a problem at all as long as I have fuel for the fire and food to eat.  :D

I suppose it's not a really difficult thing... considering the store of supplies I've built up, but I plan on trying to go out during the day to gather sticks and possibly rabbits.  I just thought it might be fun to just live outside a while, and see if I could actually build a surplus rather than just dwindling my supplies.

I suppose the biggest secondary idea is to tank blizzards to speed up decay of my crafted clothing.  I've huddled next to this fire barrel for two days now and weathered 2 blizzards already.  I'd say this was working very well.  I figured this way the repairs wouldn't be so wasteful.  Considering all the coffee I had stashed in the Community Haul... I've not had much sleep since lighting the fire.

It seems I was well prepared, so far the first two days of my camping trip have been pretty relaxing.  I've noticed that I've been able to actually add many more sticks into the pile than I've had to put in the fire each day.  I've yet to set up snares... but the calories from the coffee have slowed down the frequency I would be eating venison.

Stomach's full, thrust sated, plenty of materials to make repairs, and a very warm fire.

The fire's so warm in fact, that my clothes don't even get damp despite being out in a wailing blizzard. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I've managed to have a couple of longer sessions over the weekend. :)

The "all outdoor camping trip" has been a fun diversion.

I set up my 6 snares to do a little experimentation (and to augment my food supply a little bit).  However, I've found that always being out doors does seem to negatively impact my snare's effectiveness.  Over the course of seven days of spending 100% of my time outside my catch rates dropped dramatically after the first day.

That first day, I snared 4 rabbits... the second day, just 1... the next five days the traps sat empty (so that badge is still stuck down at 25% - trapping has been very slow going for me).

After I'm done with my camping trip I will... I will start sleeping indoors and test out the theory that another poster posited...  That the snares would re-roll more effectively when the region is forced to reload (i.e. transition to an "indoor" area or out of the region... and returning later).  All I know for certain, is that being outside (or in an outdoor shelter like the Mountaineer's Hut) seems to either impact the average yield, or perhaps there was a stealth change nerfing them (which I wouldn't mind... I'd just like to know one way or the other), or I've just been incredibly unlucky for an unusually long time.  :D

Apart from that, this little side trip has been a lot of fun.

I'm at 482 hours (just a little over 20 days).  I'm using my fire time duration to accurately keep track, which is why I marked when I lit the fire as my starting point and would continue for as long as I kept the fire going.  There has been a blizzard very nearly every day.  It certainly has increased the amount of mending I'm doing (at least those mending tasks are more substantial than the more wasteful 1% mending jobs that I was doing before).  Plus, my progress for the Blizzard Walker Badge shot up to 93% since I started.

I know I'll never use feats... but I still think it's fun to earn the badges. :D

I've been able to gather a good pile of sticks, but sometimes due to the blizzard frequency in Pleasant Valley... I've slowly worn down my stick supply.  I still have another hundred before I start tapping the coal supply I had with me.  That coal supply alone would cover me for at least another 3 days.

After eventually drinking up all that coffee I brought with me as well... "Straight to the Heart" is sitting at about 38%.

Oh, and I almost forgot... I'm finally closing in on getting to level 5 Mending.  I still don't know how much more mending I need to do... but the bar looks to be about 80-85% completed.

Once that's finished, I'll have officially "won" my little personal challenge. :)
(earning my last achievement objective for this run - "Skilled Survivor")

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Today I'm within striking distance of completing my goals for the run.

Mending 4 is at about 95% completed.  I'm thinking maybe 6-8 more mending jobs might get me maxed out.  I've never bothered to try and get all my skills up to level 5 before.

I've been camping out next to the fire barrel at the picnic area next to the Church at Thomson's Crossing for 550 hours now.  Progress towards blizzard walker is now at 98% (though not really an objective of my camping trip... but not an unwelcome secondary result).  I might try to see if I can continue living out in the open while keeping this fire going for a full month... :D  I'm already fairly close (and I've still managed not to touch the coal supply I'd brought with me).

Pleasant valley showed me it's full fury today... I got pinned down by three 12 hour blizzards (not quite back-to-back, but about 4-5 hours apart).  As such, I only really had time to sleep a little bit between each one... and no real time to gather up sticks.  After the third storm passed I was able to go out and gather up another large bundle to see me through the next day or two.  It's been oddly satisfying to just camp out and tend this fire. 

As sticks dwindle, there is a little pressure to scour for sticks and branches (not limbs... I've not yet used a hatchet to chop limbs at all in this run - haven't needed to) but for the most part this little side excursion has been very relaxing.  I'm glad I left all my weapons behind... keeps me alert when I'm searching for more sticks. :D   Besides, I do still have 4 rocks in my pocket, so I'm not totally defenseless.

I did have one conundrum to puzzle out.

My goal with this trip to stay out in the open and to not seek shelter/protection at all.  This presented a little bit of a problem when I started snaring rabbits.  The issue being, I couldn't cure any of the pelts or guts...  After thinking on it for a while I found my solution (then something unexpected was discovered).  I decided I could drop the pelts and gut outside the cave them manually move them one by one towards the back part of the cave without ever crossing that line to the "indoor" portion of the cave... this way I was still always "outside."  The unexpected part was that (at lease at the "Sasquatch Cave") that even in the cold "outdoor" portion of the cave... pelt and guts started curing.  Having discovered this, I was able to place them in the cave and they started curing without me ever having to even set food past the threshold. 

(I suppose this is an after affect of Hinterland making all the caves in Ash Canyon -without indoor/warm areas inside- capable of curing items.  I'll have to check more thoughtfully when I'm done camping to see if there is even an "indoor" portion to caves at all or if we can just cure on the "outdoor" side of caves as well...)

Considering I'm so close to the completion of my run... I suppose I should start considering what to do next.  :D

I may finally finish Crossroads Elegy...
Perhaps I'll try out the Darkwalker Challenge...
Maybe finally get around to attempting the As the Dead Sleep Challenge...
I suppose I could just start a fresh Stalker run (maybe give myself another personal challenge)...

There is still so much for me to do with this game (even after nearly 7 years).

• Upvote 1