Finally Trying for Faithful Cartographer...

ManicManiac

The next morning I slid down the rope.

I took my time searching around and mapping as I made my way to the cabin.  I was able to bring some water and half a wolf steak with me.  I figured this way the first day was taken care of... it would give me time to scout out where the next pack's territory was and give me time to plan the hunt.  I was able to make it over to Lower Raven Falls, and a little ways further on along the region boundary before making my way back to check out the cabin.  Fortunately it was intact.  I was able to get myself situated quickly and back out to look for more Timber Wolves.  Out in front of the cabin I'd noticed a stump with an axe lodged in it, which was a good find considering I'd need it to clear away some brush.

I'd spotted the brush on the way down, and I assumed it might lead to something interesting or at least open up a useful path (I was right).  After clearing the way to be able to use a fallen tree bridge, I decided to head back and continue up that slope just past the climbing rope.  I wanted to get a lay of the land and that hill top looked a good vantage.  However, I approached carefully... which also turned out to be a wise choice.  Just a head of me as I crested the slope I saw a Timber Wolf heading my direction.  I decided to sprint back towards the cabin.  Now that I knew where they were, I'd still need to know how many I was dealing with.

I opted to go down to the other end of the fallen tree bridge and clear the lower end.  I figured this way, if push came to shove I could use that as a perch (or in the worst case scenario, a place to escape the claws & teeth).  I mapped from that vantage as well, but by the time I was finished I heard a scream from one of the rabbits below.  Just below me, and only a little ways away I watched the first timber wolf of this pack devouring a rabbit.  I'd considered taking the shot right then and there, but I decided it wasn't ideal.  I don't have rounds to waste, so if I didn't drop it with the first shot... I'd risk losing it after it flees and runs all over hell's half-acre.

Instead I decided to wait a bit, and ultimately sneak away before it finished it's meal.  The wait paid off.  Just over the top of the hill two more Timber Wolves were pacing along the top of the slope.  I didn't want to push my luck much farther, so staying crouched I started to make my way down on to the ice; slowly making my way back to the cabin.  All the while, keeping an eye on the pack.  I was fairly certain there was only three of them.

I mapped a little farther along the ridge line and doubled back to try to get another vantage from the top of the rock formation nearby.  I was able to confirm it was a pack of three, and they had a larger territory they roamed on the other side of the hill (eventually leading down towards a paved road).  Evening was setting in, so I decided I would hold of on the hunt until tomorrow.  I'd have what I needed for tonight, but tomorrow... I'd very much need the meat.

I finished gathering up as many sticks as I could and deposited them in the large wood bin around to the side of the cabin.  All in all, this was a fairly nice spot to make camp. 

I woke up sometime in the mid-morning, and quickly set out on the hunt.  I got low as I approached the bottom of the slope, and continued up slowly keeping an ear & a watchful eye out.  I knew they had to be just over the top of the hill (maybe down on the other side of it... but I wasn't taking chances).  I started to head more to my right a bit further away from where I saw them roaming the other day.  I looped around a couple of trees, and just in front of me were three birch saplings.  I had a decent vantage (though I couldn't really see down the other side of the slope), so I decided to just sit and wait.

It wasn't long before I saw a pair of ears appear from the other side of the slope just ahead of me, I aimed in just as the wolf crested that part of the hill.  My front site tip was already perfectly lined up, filling the space between it's eyes.  I squeezed the trigger, and followed the ejected shell casing as it dropped to the ground.  I heard the Timber Wolf cry out and drop as I quickly retrieved the shell casing.  Just as quickly, I stood up and crouched back down.  I immediately began to back away.  I was hoping that another was close enough to catch my scent.  My guess was good, another Timber Wolf was trotting along towards the spot I was standing in.  As it got closer, I squeezed off a shot while it was in mid-stride and dropped it to the ground near it's pack mate.

Knowing there was just one left, I decided to take a better look down the other side of the slope.  Sure enough, just one left in this pack... and it decided to beat a hasty retreat.  With the area secured, I turned to getting both Timber Wolves harvested.  One yielded 6.5 kg of meat while the other just 4.2 kg, still it's enough to keep me going until I can hunt down another pack (I still want to hold off on eating any of my "found food" reserves until after my mapping is done).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
It was still only late afternoon, but the weather had been threatening to worsen (the snowfall was getting heavier).  I went back to the cabin as I needed to end the session, but I will be going back out to try and finish mapping at least as far as the road and try to find out where the nearby bridge will lead (or if perhaps there are any supplies stashed near the end of the road).

I may try to tough it out tonight and dedicate tomorrow to prepping food and water.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Now that I have two packs dealt with.  I think I'm getting a feel for the method that's going to be best for me to handle the threat.  I find I'm really liking the Timber Wolves a lot.  I need to be even more cautious when hunting them... so far, it's not gotten out of hand so I've not had to deal with a full pack all at once.  I think it would just result in several wasted shots (I know they move fast and are quick to flank/strike from behind).

I think for me, the best method will either be to evade/avoid the packs or taking them down one-by-one until only a demoralized lone wolf remains...
(In the past I have seen a video or two of folks more adept than I am just boldly take on a large pack, but I'm not that good yet with them yet :D)

Still though, I don't really like killing them... I'd much rather just leave them in peace, and watch/admire them from a respectful distance.
However, I know I'll at least have to face one more group when I get close to the cannery.  I know it's a bit of an assumption on my part, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't  be milling around the cannery.  :D

If I do end up having to deal with each pack in order to get a full and complete map finished... then I guess that will leave the rest of the region a fairly safe place.  Though even if that is the case, I imagine there will still be at least four or five lone timber wolves to keep the local deer and rabbit populations in check. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixed some errors.
  • Upvote 1

Today turned out to be a rather interesting session (due to one unexpected occurrence... and two really close calls)  :D

As I planned, I did forgo eating that night (my condition was high enough that I decided to take the risk).  As luck would have it, early the next morning a blizzard struck.  All in all, I'd say this was a perfect time for it... since I was going to stay indoors to cook anyway.  :)

Easily had enough sticks gathered up for 14 hours of fire.  Although strangely, I only ended up getting 10 pieces of charcoal (which was worrying because I usually will get 1 piece per hour of burn time - that is, at least up until the cap of 24 of course).  That part aside, it was a nice relaxing day.  Got to say warm & dry, cooked all the timber wolf meat, and built up a really comfortable water supply.  After the storm abated, I took a walk back beyond the climbing rope...to at least map out the area down to the main road (and the shorter concrete bridge.  As I crested the slope I spotted my most recent lone wolf companion, but I was far enough away that I could watch for a bit without spooking it.  I mapped out the Coast Mountain Road, Raven Crossing, and the Landslide.

By this time it was getting well into the evening, and the sun would be setting soon... but I saw an interesting archway under a rock formation so I decided to check it out.  This lead to the first close call.  Earlier, I did notice a bear wandering around not too far from the bridge... but I didn't think much of it until I found the cave just beyond that archway.  I searched the cave quickly (to my surprise I did find a ravaged deer carcass in the back, in addition to the bones signifying an active den).  I took a look around, and I didn't see the bear on the way back... so I took a gamble and mapped from the inside of the cave.

This was a mistake. :D

As I was exiting the cave, the bear was just getting up from the river bank right ahead of me.  I immediately got low, and tried to slip by as the bear was making it's way directly for it's den.  I had my rifle at the ready... and my heart as pumping fast.  I watched the bear in raw suspense... I was expecting to be detected at any moment.  The wind was blowing in my favor so I just kept slowly crawling along the ridge line hoping I wouldn't have to shoot.  It was a tense couple of minutes, but I made it out safely.  I went straight back to my cabin to go to bed.  That was enough excitement for one day.

However, that very next morning proved unexpectedly eventful as well.  My plan was to head back to the area near the den to finish mapping the area just beyond the cave, and hopefully check out what looked like a fishing hut.  I wanted to finish up that area so I could focus on the much longer concrete bridge just up the road.  However... my furry woodland friends had other plans.  I was taking the route directly along the ridge line leading from Lower Raven Falls to Raven Crossing, and right as I to the top of the slope over looking Raven Crossing I spotted three Timber Wolves on the opposite bank... I immediately turned and ran until my stamina was out.  Apparently they didn't spot me, but I was certain I'd taken down the pack in this area just two days ago!

I took a couple of minutes to get my thoughts together.  I mean do the Timber Wolf packs go from location to location, like their more common cousins?  I know "regular" wolves will show up in potentially several territories... but I didn't know if that would be true of Timber Wolf packs.  The only other think I could think of was if the lone wolf I left alive had "recruited" some new pack members (that is to say, I considered the possibility that the wolves might have re-spawned - though I doubted it, I don't know of a re-spawn time that in this game that short).

After mulling it over for a few minutes, I decided it was just time for another Timber Wolf hunt.  I really don't need any more pelts... but I figured I could always use the meat (and besides I still wanted to keep the area "safe" until I know I'm finish mapping it out).  I decided I would take the same route that I did when I'd first spotted them.  This pack was wandering in a slightly different place than the one I'd hunted previously... but I was concerned that the lone wolf from that pack might have joined up with this one (which could potentially mean I might have 3-5 to deal with).  As I approached that same slope, I got low and slowly crawled up to see if I could get a good vantage.  As I crested the hill I couldn't see them... they were just gone.  However, I didn't trust it.  I kept crawling until I got a bit farther away, and quickly made my way towards Raven Crossing.

As I got to the road, I decided to crouch down again.  I kept a sharp eye on the hill... sure enough I spotted two Timber Wolves wandering over towards the river bank again.  That's when I also spotted one Timber Wolf heading towards the road on the other side of Raven Crossing.  I waited for a second to see if it was going to start across the bridge, and it absolutely was.  I started to crawl closer I was about half way across the bridge when I stopped and waited.  Once the it got as close as I dared let it, I snapped in landed a clean shot and dropped it as it stopped to sniff the air.  I quickly recovered the spent casing and pressed ahead.

I still didn't know for sure how many Timber Wolves I was dealing with... but at this point I was all in.  I was either going to pick them off... or I was going to get ambushed.

As I crawled up the hill following the Timber Wolf's tracks, I was tense and ready in case I saw any pair of ears peaking over the top.  As I got to my vantage point, I spotted just two more wandering close together and making their way along the shallow low point between the two hills that lead towards the river bank.  I decided not to pursue, but instead wait for them to come back towards me.  As they dipped out of sight, I'd gotten into position on a set of their tracks, and there I waited.  It didn't take long before they were on the way back.  However, they were so close that I wasn't sure which was going to reach me first.  Once again I waited until they were as close as I dared to let them get... and dropped the one to my right in mid-stride.  The last one of course ran, but I was still concerned because I had at least one more lone wolf that I couldn't account for.. and I don't need them deciding to constitute a pack either.  I did search around and couldn't find another, so I decided it was either in this group... or that perhaps the packs have different territories they "roam" between...

Either way I knew I was safe for now, so I harvested up my two kills and took them back to the cabin. :)

This session was really tense, and I loved it.

I'm certainly set for food now.  I was kind of hoping to get more mapping done... but oh well.  I suppose then that means that for my next session, I will try to finish that area on the other side of the road and all the back along the river past the bear's den.  I really want to see what's on that small island.  I've resisted the temptation to try and look up where things are... I'm enjoying the act of exploring way too much to want to spoil it. :)

Assuming everything on my save is working correctly... once I get this map finished, I will finally have my version of "Faithful Cartographer" completed.  As eager as I am, I'm still taking very slow and extremely cautions.  :D

• Upvote 1

Today I set out to focus on mapping.  I was able to get down past the bear's den relatively quickly.  Though I find that I do have to double up my ear wraps in the morning and switch back out to the satchel by around noon.  I did my best to keep track of the bear, but the terrain has been making that difficult.  One of these days I will follow it's entire path over the course of day (but that's going to have to wait for now).  Made it out to the nearby fishing hut, cleaned it out, and headed carefully towards the small island (which I saw from a distance is the home of the Fallen Lighthouse).

I was slow and careful exploring around this little island.  I was a bit paranoid that there would be a Timber Wolf pack roaming around such a prominent landmark, but fortunately the way was clear.  I'd considered setting up an encampment here... but when I saw the cabin over by the pier (which turned out to be the Cannery Worker Residence), I opted to setup an encampment there instead.

I dropped off everything I didn't need in the cabin, and I think I will haul over a good portion of my food supply here as well.  This way I can just this as my next jumping off point.  I see the Cannery Docks across right on the opposite shore (other side of the inlet), but I think that will be one of the last places I actually visit.  I think I will want to head past it, and explore up the other side of the region first.  While I was getting things situated I think I see why I was losing track of the bear for such long periods of time.  It seems as though it likes to wander past the Cannery Worker Residence and out on the ice near the Long Bridge (though admittedly it is possible that this is a second bear - but for now I'm going to doubt that there would be two dens so close to each other considering how much open space there is in the region).

I wanted to map my way across the Long Bridge, but it was getting very dark and I wanted to get back to my cabin near the climbing rope.  This way I can scout the route quickly, and if it's clear haul the meat over to the Cannery Worker Residence.  Also the snowfall has been really heavy, I don't want to risk getting stuck in a blizzard too far from my food supply.

Even if there is not a new timber wolf pack to deal with, tomorrow could still potentially be a risky trip.  Most of my meat stores are raw, so I will have to be especially careful on all those blind hills.

Also there hasn't been a blizzard in a couple of days... so I feel like I'm due for one again soon; and the bad weather's not helping my paranoia about it. :D

Tomorrow will be day 300... a new milestone towards the primary goal of my little personal challenge.

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing errors
  • Upvote 1

Right at sun up I started to do some light reconnaissance, just to see if any more Timber Wolves had shown up between my cabin by Lower Raven Fall and Raven Crossing.  I opted to use the route around that leads to the collapse at Coast Mountain Road (better vantage points).  When I started out I did decided to go straight across the ice because I saw my usual lone wolf friend stalking a rabbit (I couldn't pass up a free rabbit).  After running that timber wolf off, and quickly scouted the route ahead... I went back to  grab the rabbit, as well as most of the cooked meat and raw mean from the cabin.

Once I got to the main road, I took a more careful look around.  I wanted to get eyes on the bear before committing to an avenue of approach.  I quickly made my way to the top of a nearby rock formation to get a better look over the Worker Residence.  I was able to spot the bear ambling between the far end of the pier and the Fishing Hut.  Now that i was sure the way was clear, I decided to stay crouched and slowly make my way behind the Worker Residence (this would give me more time and ensure the bear continued to wander farther away and closer to the underside of the Long Bridge).

I got things dropped off and situated, but I knew I'd still need more water soon (I'd left all my water supply back at the cabin).  However, I didn't have much by way of sticks (and nearby didn't really have much to offer for firewood).  However, the weather was getting rough... so I decided I would just stay close to shelter.  I did so a little more cleaning up of my map of the area.  Mostly out on the ice and a bit closer to the Long Bridge.  The weather eventually did worsen into a blizzard, but I was close enough to my new encampment that it wasn't a problem.  I ate, I slept, and thought a while about the merits of making one more trip back to the cabin.

By the next morning, the weather cleared and I'd made up my mind.

Keeping a close eye on the bear.  Over the last few days, I've spent a good bit of time studying it's route.  As near as I can tell, it usually goes from the end of the pier all the way under the bridge, then up the inside bank to take one turn half-way across before turning around, and heading down the road back towards it's den (I assume it gets back to the end of the pier by pathing from it's cave past the Worker Residence - though I don't know if it cuts around back of it or if it follows the ice/shoreline).  In any case, I knew enough that I could gauge it's location in order to safely survey.  I mapped half-way across the Long Bridge, and a significant portion of the inlet shore.  This would give me a good opportunity to see if I can skirt around the inlet and head back to the cabin.

As it turns out, I think I see a path that leads under the bridge on the upper-shelf.  Hopefully it will lead all the way across and if it doesn't hopefully I can find a safe spot to shimmy down.  I think it might be better for me to work my way down from the top of the second-half of the region, and save the cannery (and nearby small Island) for last.  Partly because I suspect a larger pack is likely to be roaming around it, and also because I'd like the Cannery to the last thing I survey to unlock "Faithful Cartographer."  This way I can pick off any other packs that might be wandering around, and by the time I get the cannery done... it will just be a mater of waiting on an aurora to get things unlocked.  Then just a little survey touch up on the farther reaches of the ice.

Having sorted that out in my head, I followed the ridge line back to cabin.  I had decided it would be worth it to grab a little bit of water, at least 50 sticks from my wood stores, and the gunsmithing book that I'd been reading (just an hour per day in the morning to make better use of the calories before hiking around all day :)).  The trip was steady and careful, but ultimately uneventful and went as planed.

Tomorrow I intend to investigate that path under Echo Tower's bridge.
If I can find safe passage to that side and work my way down... I think that would be ideal (the prospect of walking around it on the ice doesn't look promising - I have a feeling it's thin ice all the way around that cliff face).

I still don't know the Timber Wolves that well... so I think it would be best for me to try and pick up the pace.  If they do keep replacing pack members... then I can't be too slow about mapping or I'll just end up running out of ammo.  I've found a little more, so that's bought me more time (I've 22 rounds to work with as of right now; I had a few very lucky ammo finds).

So far, I've encounter three packs in total.  If luck is on my side, perhaps I'll only have one more to tangle with.  However, as long as I stay careful and consistent... I should have what I need to deal with up to six more packs if need be.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Early the next morning, I spent about five minutes trying to get eyes on the bear.  However, it was nowhere to be found... I suppose it must have started wandering a different route today.  I decided to head up to the path I spotted the other day.  I moved rather slowly and cautiously until I finally caught sight of the bear, it was meandering down the main road heading back towards Raven Crossing.  Now that I had a sense for where it was going to be for the time being, I was able to move faster (only needing to keep an eye out for Timber Wolves).

I ended up wasting at least 10 pieces of charcoal trying to get the Secret Mountain Path marked on the map.  However, no location marker would appear... even the corpse at the end of the path would show up on my map (I suspected it was possibly a bug... and hope that won't interfere with my current goal).  I decided I'd wasted enough time and resources trying to get things in this area to register on the map.  It was getting into the evening, and I needed to get back to the Worker Residence.  It was critical that I get a fire going, as I had just drank the last of the water I was carrying on me.

Keeping an eye out for the bear on the main road, I made it back to my encampment relatively quickly.  I'd taken the opportunity to break down all the brush back up on that secret trail, so I had a decent stock of sticks (I had 100 more in the container under the bed inside).  I immediately got a fire going once I stepped inside.  I focused on water, but I did use the other cooking slot to get the rest of my raw meat cooked as well.  I decided to stay up for most of the night to try to make the most of burn time.  Once all the meat was finished cooking, I opted to steep four cups of birch bark tea (just to keep as part of my "emergency rations").  After that, I would just sleep for an hour, wait for the pot to boil, and repeated this cycle until mid-morning.

I was only about half rested by the time the fire went out.  I did have 15 liters stashed (and the extra on me for walking around - about 1.33 L).  My condition was near or about maybe 55% and with starting the day half exhausted, I knew I was going to have to just take it easy.  No risks today.

I'd spotted the bear on the main road again, so I knew I didn't have to worry much while I did more map touch-ups along the edge of the thin ice (all the way around the little island with the Fallen Lighthouse).  I also focused on gathering more sticks, though to be honest there was not a lot for me to pick up on the lower half of this side of the region.  I also went back to the Secret Mountain Path again... wasted another two charcoal before finally giving up on that spot.  I suppose if I get the rest of the region finished and I still don't get Faithful Cartographer to unlock... then I will submit a bug report and just consider that goal for my Personal Challenge achieved.

That evening I ate my fill and slept a good full night (I'd realized as I was getting ready for bed that I'd not eaten anything while I had been tending to the fire... :D no wonder I was in such rough shape).   All things considered, this was a rather leisurely and peaceful day.

For tomorrow though, I have a rather important decision to make...

I'm torn between just grabbing my food supply and shimmying down the edge of the Secret Mountain Path to gain access to the other half of the region, hope to find a cave, and work my way down to the cannery... or ...do I cross the bridge, hug tight to the inside shore of the inlet to avoid the cannery, and work my way up?

I mean both could work... but both have their risks.

So far, I've been looking out over the other half of the region from the Secret Mountain Path, and I've not spotted any Timber Wolves (though again, they might just be too far away for me to know for certain).  I assume that the cave leading to Forlorn Muskeg on that side (since I've not found it on the side I'm no now) and until I finish my mapping task... I'd not be permitted to use it (part of the Personal Challenge).  That would leave me with at least one less cave that I might be able to take shelter in if necessary.

With the other way... I've never fully crossed the Long Bridge, so I don't know how close the road gets to the cannery.  I don't necessarily want to risk an ambush (I'm still reasonably certain that the largest pack is likely to be "guarding" the cannery/workshop.  I kind of want to make sure I can save that for my last task in the region.  Though I suppose, if I can get out on the ice... I ought to be far enough away to avoid any pack that's milling around that area.

I suppose I'll have to think on it some more, though I know I am leaning towards my first plan... because I'd like to do as little back tracking as possible.  I kind of like the idea of mapping steadily down from the top of the map to the bottom.  That it looks clear over by the waterfall is encouraging, but I will continue to think on it. 

• Upvote 1

After further consideration, I thought that perhaps I was playing it a little too safe... so I decided to go all in.  I would leave my food supply here at the Worker Residence, and rely on finding deer or timber wolves to build up a new food supply once I shimmied down from the Secret Mountain Path.  I packed about two days of water, and quickly made my way to the secret trail.  Once I got down on the other side, I kept close to the ridge line and found a cave just below the path.

Near the mouth of that cave I found a ravaged deer carcass.  This would definitely suffice to sustain me for at least a day or two.  I mapped along the ridge line up to the Ravine's End Waterfall and onward to the cave that would leading to Forlorn Muskeg.  Near by that transition cave I also came across the carcass of a wolf.  At that point it was getting late into the evening.  I harvested the wolf carcass as well as the deer carcass I'd found, and made an quick encampment in that cave below the Secret Mountain Path.

I got a fire going with the sticks I was able to pick up along the way, and started cooking (as well as building up another fresh water supply).  As soon as all the meat was cooked, I settled in for the night (making use of the pine bough bed I found in the back of that cave).

The next morning, I quickly (but cautiously) made my way back to the location of the transition cave.  I'd still not spotted any Timber Wolf packs, but I did find a moose.  Rather than try to hunt it, I waited and watched a while.  Eventually it wandered far enough away that I was able to slip past while sticking close to the ridge line, and was able to finish mapping this upper corner of the region.  I was able to sneak around on a wide path to mark the nearby hunter's blind before continuing on down the edge of the region.  The weather was getting rough, not quite a blizzard... but still high winds and heavy snowfall.  I was struggling a little with the biting cold winds, but crouched behind a tree until I could warm up enough to trek on a little farther.

I didn't want to have to back track to my previous cave... so I decided to risk pressing forward.  After cresting a couple more blind hills, I came across another cave.  Much to my relief, this cave also had a ravaged deer carcass nearby.  This was very fortunate because I'd still not spotted another pack, so this venison would be what would get me through another day.  I'd managed to find enough sticks to get another fire going in the front of the cave to the meat cooked and a little more water prepared.  That night an aurora lit up the sky.  I sat for awhile at the mouth of my new encampment and watched the aurora while I waited for more water to come to a rolling boiling.  I stashed my excess water (keeping about 4 liters of water with me) and slept for the remainder of the night.

The next morning the weather was fairly clear.  I checked over my stores of meat and water one more time, then decided to investigate (what I would soon find out was called) the Frozen Delta.  I worked my way up onto a rock formation on the nearest patch of land sticking up out of the ice, I spotted a Timber Wolf pack that must have arrived that morning (that is, they hadn't been there the day before).  It's possible I might be able avoid them and finish mapping the rest of that area, but there is also the question of food... I decided I would head back and think some more on what to do next.  I sort of needed to end the session for the day anyway... so I snuck back to my cave took a quick nap just to make save point.

It was another tense few days (though more due to the anticipation of danger rather than any definite threat). :D

So this makes 4 packs I've come across now.  I'm tempted to hunt this nearby pack to bolster my food supply, but I'm not sure that really need to.  If I can remain undetected... I should be able to map my way across the delta, which would give me an opportunity to gather up the food I left at the last cave, and safely bring it to my current cave encampment.  This should be enough food to hold me over until I can work my way down to the cannery (where I'm sure I'll have a chance to get more Timber Wolf meat :)).

I suppose there is a risk for the nearby pack to catch the scent of the meat as I try to consolidate my supplies... if that's the case, I guess I'll have no choice but to take them on.  Although, I don't think that would be an ideal situation.  I'd have to rely on quick and effective shots, as it would be likely that all three would probably descend upon me.  That's the part that tempts me to stalk them, before they get a chance to stalk me.  There is also the possibility of another pack further on down the map... so I'm torn between my desire to hunt as few of them as possible, and what would likely better ensure my safety.  I do love a challenge, but I guess I will have to think on it some more before making up my mind.

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Upvote 1

I decided I wanted to risk trying to avoid the Timber Wolf pack while trying to finish mapping the area and consolidating my food stores.  Considering I didn't really need the extra food yet (and I already have more Timber Wolf pelts than I need for making my wolfskin coat), and that this pack is mostly out of the way from where I need to be... I think it will be better to try and just avoid them for now.

It took the better part of the day to find a safe route across the Frozen Delta and still maintain distance from the Timber Wolves (the pack in question are still a group of three roaming on the river and banks just between the moose territory and my new cave encampment).  For this trip I didn't bother with any mapping.  I only needed to focus on getting to the cave below the Secret Mountain Path, get my food, and return safely.

I eventually found my way across the ice.  I'd also make sure to keep a lookout, and every time I saw a rock formation I could get to the top of, I did so.  As far as I can tell, there were not other Timber Wolf packs out on the Frozen Delta.  I quickly grabbed up what little venison I had at my previous cave, and tried to find a more direct path.  I was able to shorten the return trip a little bit, but it resulted in risking a closer proximity to the pack.

I managed to sneak though and return safely.  I dropped off and organized my consolidated food supply; I had about three days worth of food now (maybe four if more thinly rationed).  The weather had cleared up so I decided I would get better look around.  I followed tight to the ridge line to see if the way ahead was clear.  I spotted another hunting blind just a little further down along the shore.  I think if need be, I should have a relatively safe way to move my food supply forward as I make my way down this side of the region.  I mapped out the way ahead, but I still needed to finish mapping the Frozen Delta.  By this time, night had fallen and an aurora had started, I decided I was not going to  press my luck... it was time to bed down for the night.

The next day, I dedicated to trying to finish the Frozen Delta.  There were three specific dark patches on my map that I wanted to clear away.  However, this means that I will have to get close to that Timber Wolf pack again, but if I avoided them yesterday despite the meat I was carrying... I should be able to pull this off as well.  The only catch is that two of those black spots are actually along the shoreline at the top most part of the delta (particularly where the river wraps back around and forms essentially a narrow little peninsula).  I don't foresee that being too tricky, since all I really have to do is take the same path as yesterday and follow the bank of the river.

Keeping crouched I got to the top of the rock formation closest to the pack.  I was able to map far a wide enough radius that cleared out the trouble spot on the larger island in front of me (it's the one that has the hunting stand on it).  Now I only had to deal with that small strip over the uppermost part of the delta.  I took a wider path, back tracking a little bit so I could map as much of the ice and open water as I can while I'm over here.  Once I get these two trouble spots cleaned up, I want to take what food I have and stash it at the hunter's blind (nearest the main road).

It took some time, but I made it over to the delta/rock formation right next to the shore.  Getting over to the spot I wanted took some doing, and cost me a sprained wrist as well as a dense fog that lingered for hours.  I slept off my sprain, and then waited out the fog before finally being able to get to the spot I'd picked out.  This particular delta/rock formation would give me a good vantage of the river bank and the hillside beyond it, and it was fortunate that I did some scouting first.  Just as I crested the top, my heart felt like it stopped.  I spotted a Timber Wolf prowling close by.  I backed off, crouched, and waited a moment.

It seemed to have not noticed me, so keeping crouched I made my way back up to my vantage point.  I watched intently for a few minutes.  It looked like there was just a Lone Timber Wolf roaming around... perhaps it was one of the last members of one of the other packs I'd already dealt with.  It was getting late in the evening, so I decided I would turn back and start fresh in the morning.  Knowing that it's just a lone wolf... I'm confidant that I should be able to cross the delta, stop by the other cave again, and map out last two trouble spots relatively quickly.

Costing my another day isn't great news though.  I'll be running out of food soon, so I either have to move on or hunt that pack of Timber Wolves for more meat.

I made it back to my cave encampment with no trouble, and bedded down for the night.
When I woke... I could hear a blizzard raging outside of my cave.

...damn it...

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Fortunately, the blizzard blew itself out but mid-morning.

I very quickly went up to the top of the rock formation right out in front of my cave.  I wanted to make sure to get eyes on the nearby pack... but they weren't in visual range.  I decided to head back up along the ridge line so I could get visual confirmation (sometimes they just patrolled down on the ice).  However, when I managed to get behind their usual territory, I found nothing... the pack apparently moved on.

I took that opportunity to take advantage of the ice above one of the smaller waterfalls to get to a spot on another rock formation that was roughly between the last two trouble spots in the upper part of region.  As I was taking a look around from my new vantage point, I spotted where the pack had moved to (they were milling around nearby the cave just below the Secret Mountain Path).

With this part of the map completed, I began working my way down the last stretch leading up the large slope ahead of me (overlooking the main road).  However, as I got closer the nearby Hunter's Blind I spotted another Timber Wolf pack.  I also tried to stick close to the ridge line, as I was hoping to be able to get to the far-side of the broken bridge I'd spotted.  However, there appears to be a sheer rock face that prevents me from getting back there.  I did take a look around the cliff side overlooking the river... but I don't see a safe way to goat around the cliff side.

It was getting late into the evening, so I carefully made my way back to my cave encampment to bed down for the night.

As soon as I woke the next morning, I ran out to my usual vantage point and immediately began looking for those Timber Wolves.  I'm now out of food and I'll need to thin out this pack in order to safely map my way down the the main road (so the timing worked out pretty well).  All three Timber Wolves where roaming close together.  I decided to head down to the shore line just across the river from where they were headed.

I approached the shore and then crouched to wait (I figured this way they might catch my scent and start tracking my location).  However, after about 15 seconds none of the pack members were coming towards me...  they'd just disappeared on the other side of the hill/rock formation.  After another ten seconds I was getting concerned that they might have been roaming in the opposite direction.  With much apprehension I crawled across the ice and up the slope, but the Timber Wolves were nowhere to be found.  I was about to head back to my spot across the river when I saw all three heading straight to that location I'd been sitting in.  It turns out they were hunting indeed me, they just took a longer/more indirect way around (this pack was being clever... I love it).

The pack was milling around that spot when one started to follow the path I took across the river.  Still crouched, I lined up ahead of it.  As soon as it got as close as I dared let it, I snapped in and dropped the leading wolf in mid-stride.  The Timber Wolf following close behind it, decided to run off... the third Timber Wolf seemed confused and altered coarse wandering up around a rock formation on the shoreline.  I decided to just wait and see what these last two where going to.  The one that ran off was probably going to be this pack's lone survivor.

The other Timber Wolf that continued tracking me along the opposite shore seemed like it was trying to get sneaky.  It had disappeared from sight when it ducked behind the rock formation.  Down at the end of that formation, the Timber Wolf quickly turned and started to cross the ice (still tracking towards me).  I stood up, and went to the edge of the ice... when the Timber Wolf stopped to alert the pack.  I'd been hoping to tempt it to get on to the ice... but instead I quickly crouched, fired a quick shot, and dropped it before it could finish calling for backup.

With this pack taken care of, I harvested both kills, and hauled it back to my cave encampment.  I still had a good supply of water, so I focused on just cooking up my new supply of meat (I also was getting in very serious need of charcoal).  Once the my new stock of food was prepared, just let the campfire burn though the night as I slept.

The following morning, I was able to map all the way down to the main road.  I also took the time to visit the Washed Out Trailers, Coastal Highway Terminus, and the Trailers (situated just down the road about halfway in between the broken bridge and the cannery).  During this leisurely day of mapping/exploring I'd moved my food supply with me in increments.  I'd moved all my food supply to the Washed Out Trailers as soon as I discovered it... but later decided to haul it over to the other trailers across the road.

I also took advantage of this opportunity and went out on the ice.  I spotted a pack of three Timber Wolves wandering between the island and the cannery pier.  I kept my distance as I just wanted to map the general area of the island.  However I am running low on charcoal, so I'm just going to hit the main area... I'll do touch ups a little later.  I found a cave and some lichen, but not much else.  At this point I was down to just 4 pieces of charcoal... so unless I want to spend another day doing a long burn, I'd need to stop and save these last four pieces to map out the last place I have left to explore... The Last Resort Cannery.

At long last, my task of fully mapping each region is nearly completed.  :)

The journal says I have only two question marked locations to map.  I think it's just the cannery and maybe that pier on the far end of the compound, but if "Faithful Cartographer" doesn't register I may have to reevaluate my map.  I don't think I missed anything, but I guess I won't know for sure until I explore the cannery.

Part of me wants to hit the cannery tomorrow!  The other part wants to take one more day to build up some more charcoal, take care of those touch-ups around the ice surrounding that island, and to truly save the cannery for last...  Admittedly I'm eager to finish my final mapping task.  Once I have this done, I'll be free to roam all of Great Bear any way I'd like and start eating all that found food I've been stockpiling.  Hitting these big milestones in this personal challenge feels really satisfying.  :D 

Assuming I can get this last part completed.  I'll be heading out to gather up all my pelts from each region so I can work on my version of "Wrapped in Furs:"

On 11/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, ManicManiac said:

...next I will concentrate on my version of "Wrapped in Furs."  I will not be permitted to earn the achievement until I have pelt crafted items in all possible clothing slots.  I will only use the bearskin bedroll to earn the achievement if I am wearing: a rabbit skin hat, rabbit skin mittens, a (timber)wolf skin coat, bear skin coat (plus a moose cloak in my inventory - as my "extra blanket"), moose satchel, two pair of deer skin pants, and deer skin boots.

:)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

I've thought more about it, and I made up my mind on what to do.
As tempted as I am to sweep and clear the cannery... I do want to ensure that I stick to the original intention behind my mapping task.  So, I will make a quick trip back to my previous cave encampment, gather up what firewood I have stashed there, and haul it all over to the Island Cave.  I'll do another long burn, maybe hunt the Timber Wolf pack that's out on the ice near the Cannery Pier, and stay hunkered down at the nearby Trailers for another game day.

I figure if I can get another ten (or more) pieces of charcoal, I can then finish up the touch-ups out on the far reaches of the ice, as well as the other half of the Long Bridge, and should still have enough left over for clearing the Cannery and Pier.

I know I was feeling very tempted to just knock out the last two locations and then do the finishing touches... but part of the point of modifying my personal requirements for the "Faithful Cartographer" achievement was to unlock it once the final map was as completely cleared as I could make it.  For this purpose, it would seem most appropriate to save those last two locations as my very last surveys in order to trigger the achievement (assuming nothing is bugged out with this particular save - it's already lived through three updates now).

I know I was also talking about immediately starting my trek to gather all my pelts, but for the sake of completion...  I will camp out at the cannery and wait for an aurora to get things unlocked before I go.  It wouldn't feel right to leave before that's accomplished. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It was still early evening when I ended the last session... so I decided to try to make the trip back to my cave encampment (nearest the bottom of the end of the Frozen Delta) and try to get back before dark in an attempt to save time the next day.

This turned out be a rather risky decision. :D

For starters it was already snowing pretty heavily (which by itself isn't so much of a problem), but just after I started out the winds started kicking up.  The weather soon turned into a pretty heavy snowstorm (very much threatening to turn into a blizzard), but the visibility was still good enough that I chose to press on.  As I passed around the back of the Washed Out Trailers, I encountered my next surprise... a Moose.  I realized this trip was now more precarious than I bargained for... not because the moose would be a problem, but more because I'd now end up taking a much longer way around (meaning I probably wouldn't get back before sundown).  With the weather already so bad, visibility after dark was going probably require burning up some lantern fuel.  However, I continued to press on anyway.  I figured in the worst case scenario, I'll stay overnight in the cave.

Giving the Moose a very wide berth, I ended up taking the ice on the edge of the inlet about half way up the Frozen Delta, and then cut (more or less) straight across to finally reach my cave.  Much to my chagrin, there were no sticks (or firewood of any kind) stashed there.  Apparently I'd burned it all up and had forgotten about it.  Making this trip, which was already kind of precarious... an absolute waste of time. :D

I was so irritated that I immediately turned around and started back for my new encampment (at the Trailers just across the main road).  The winds were still gusting hard, so at times it was slow going.  As I got near the ice at the edge of the inlet, the heavy snowstorm turned into a full raging blizzard.  The sun hadn't fully set yet, so as long as I kept within sight of the shore I knew I could find my way back... so I pressed on.

Eventually, I did manage to get up the bank in the right place... here was where I'd have the potential to get turned around or walk off into a trench if I wasn't careful.  I used the edge of the slope to orient myself, I knew I ought to be alright as long as I kept walking straight ahead.  Sure enough I soon came to the road, and just on the other side of it was the wooden bridge (my estimation of where it was in relation to that slope was right on the money).  I quickly got inside, ate, and collapsed into  bed. :D

All things considered, the wasted trip did permit me to pick up some more sticks (not many, but some).  I figured it would be just enough for at least 6 hours of burn time.  I did a quick sort and drop to cache excess items/supplies, and set out across the ice to get to the "Island Cave."  I took a more or less straight path across and followed the slope leading over to the cave.  I took advantage of the clear skies and got the fire started right away.  Just as I estimated, I indeed had about 6 hours of burn time to work with (which of course would be longer thanks to the benefits of Level 4 - Fire Starting).  However, I wasn't really happy with that... so I decided to take scout around the island to see if I could find more things to burn.  Over by the Fallen Lighthouse there seemed to be a bit of Beachcombing that could  be done, so I thought perhaps the ice beyond the far end of this island might also be a good spot to check.

There was a good deal of sticks littered around the shore of the island.  However, out on the edge of the ice doesn't appear to be a Beachcoming spot (while I was out there I did do one quick survey).  I also found a way up the far side of the island, and luckily found two cedar limbs.  For the first time on this run, I used an axe harvest them.  I now had more than enough to fuel to keep the fire going well over 12 hours.

With my fire all taken care of, I decided to go hunt the pack of Timber Wolves that had been prowling out on the ice.  I didn't want them joining the fray when I take on the pack that's undoubtedly prowling compound.  Also, they would add to my growing food supply, which will be necessary for living at the cannery while waiting for an aurora.  I crawled out onto the ice and started following behind the pack.  I kept creeping forward as they roamed, and eventually but myself lined up as they turned back to wander towards the island again.

The set up was pretty perfect... one was roaming a fair bit ahead of the other two.  I waited until it got close enough that I could see some the finer details of it's face (which turns out is kind of my sweet spot for how close I can let them get without alerting the pack) and dropped it in mid-stride.  Just a few meters behind it, the other two where also closing in... this time I stood up and alerted them, but quickly dropped down and took out the one as it started the howl.  I let the last one go and harvested up it's pack mates.  I spend the rest of the evening (and a good part of the night) just cooking up the steaks.

Early the next morning, I gathered up the charcoal (23 pieces) and quickly set about finishing up all the touch-up work I could.  I also took the opportunity to do some reconnaissance of the Last Chance Cannery.  As I finished up mapping on the Long Bridge and the shore lines around the inlet, I noticed that when I pass a good distance from the road in front of the cannery... a tight pack of 4 Timber Wolves will usually soon gather and patrol out of the front gate and up the road in the direction of the Coastal Highway Terminus.  I saw this as another perfect setup, though it would be a little more dangerous than stalking that pack on out on the open ice... there was enough uneven terrain here that they would be out of sight for a while.  This would mean there was a decent risk of getting flanked or otherwise ambushed.

As I was finishing up on the Bridge another blizzard hit.  I knew I could use the guardrail to get me to the slope, and from there I could follow the shore over to the Washed Out Trailers.  That's where I decided to hole-up for the rest of the evening, waiting for the storm to pass.  I ended up staying the night.  Over the course of the night, I had about 6 cups of birch bark tea just to tide me over until I could get back to my food supply.  However, what I was really hoping for was just clear weather tomorrow so I could focus on taking on the pack at the cannery.

I slept in a little bit, and didn't get up until about mid-morning.  To my delight it was a bright and sunny day, and not much more than a mild breeze.  It was about as perfect a day as I could have hoped for.  I made a bee line for the bridge again; passing close enough the main road to tempt the pack out on another patrol.  As soon as I passed by, I got low and crawled over to the edge of the road about halfway between the bridge and front gate of the cannery.

I watched intently as the pack stepped out in a tight two-by-two formation from a break in the fence.  For a moment, I was worried that they might patrol my way... with all four in sight a tight group, it would hard to take out three of them before they jumped me.  However, they did indeed turn towards the Coastal Highway Terminus and started patrolling - no doubt looking for whatever had drawn their attention to the front gate.  I continued to creep closer as they wandered down the road, I very quickly lost sight of all but one of them.  One had split off from the group and disappeared down behind the fallen tree that was directly across the road.  The others wandered down the road, with one disappearing up the slope to the right and another disappearing behind terrain on the left.  Eventually I even lost sight of the last one, but I just continued to wait there just past the gate and near the break in the fence they came out of.

It wasn't too long before I started seeing three of them making their way back towards the cannery.  One of them split off and wandered down the slope.  Having two of them wandering around on that slope heading down to inlet side (out of sight) definitely made me nervous.  As I was watching the last two Timber Wolves get ever closer coming up the road, I frequently checked my flank (very worried about an ambush).  Now the two that were still prowling on the road had a significant distance between them, so I was reasonably confident I could take care of them without much issue... but those other two had me worried.

The first of the Timber Wolves to into by ideal range was the one nearest me on the road.  It even stopped to sniff the air, giving be an easy shot.  Just as that one hit the ground, one of the Timber Wolves who were skulking around down on the slope stepped around from behind the roots of the fallen tree.  I quickly dropped it as it fully came around the corner.  I could very distinctly hear footsteps on my right side.  I quickly pivoted right as the Timber Wolf crested the slope directly across the road from me.  I was about to be ambushed, so I snapped in and fired immediately...  as soon as I cracked off the shot I swung around to the other wolf still closing in.  Right as I turned...  I heard that Timber Wolf drop, which sent the last member of this pack into a panic, turned tail, and sprinted back down the road.

That was probably one of the most intense encounters I've had in a long while. :D

I gathered up my three spent casing and harvested all three Timber Wolves before heading into the cannery compound.  I got everything setup and dropped off in the warehouse in the back corner near the a ship (that would soon learn was called, The Harbinger).  After getting my encampment setup... I started exploring the grounds and under the pier (mapping along the way).  However even though I've mapped every inch of the compound the last two locations don't register on the map.

I'm really hoping it's not bugged out.  I've also considered that perhaps they might only show up if climb through the compound to find the way to the Workshop (perhaps then the Cannery and Workshop icons will show up on the map if I visit them "properly").  Before I do I go exploring the rafters and rooftops... I will try surveying from the top of the very high hill over looking the compound... perhaps I just need a higher vantage.

(in either case, I'm just really hoping my save is not bugged)

That evening got settled, ate, and slept solidly through the night... and of course, there would be an aurora that night.  Frankly I didn't care, it was already a hard day and I just wanted to get some sleep. :D   Besides, I still wanted to do a dry run in the daylight first (for the sake of trying to map from the cannery and directly outside the workshop).  I have enough meat to last me for weeks (I do still have the meat at the island cave as well as what I left behind at the Worker Residence). 

I may also want to hike up to Pensive Lookout and grab my books... I'll have to think about it.

Edited by ManicManiac
I found more errors I just had to fix.
  • Like 1

I've finally completed my version of "Faithful Cartographer."

The map marker for the Last Resort Cannery, did finally register once I got up to the top of the nearby hillside overlooking the complex.  The pier/Workshop eventually registered when I came to the farther end of the broken docks on the shore.  I'm not sure if this last location was just very particular to get it to trigger on the map or what else the issue could have been.

But no matter.  At long last (and under the specific stipulations of my challenge) I've finally unlocked the achievement.  :)

For the rest of the day, I kind of took it easy.  I've been doing a little exploration though the cannery complex, gathering up gear and supplies as I find them.  I came across a safe that had a pair of Mukluks in it, and while that's a great find... I think I'll stick with the insulated boots (they're just a little bit warmer and a little bit more waterproof - I don't depend on running, so I don't mind the hit I take on my sprint meter).

I also went back over to the island cave to haul the wolf meat over to the cannery's break room.  However, as I started on the return trip, I found that a very dense fog had rolled in.  At some point I got turned around... as I noticed I'd been walking for a lot longer on the ice than I'd estimated it should have taken to reach the shore.  I was beginning to think I'd some how missed the cannery all together.  As it turns out I did, but not in the way that I thought.  :D I was trying to keep a sharp look out for the shore as I made my way though the fog, I managed to veer off course.

Eventually I started to see rock formations peaking thought the fog (at least I found land)... but as I began following it I became more and more confused, as none of the terrain looked familiar.  As I continued farther along, I eventually found out what happened.  I recognized a rather steep slope, and was flabbergasted to realize that I'd some how not only gotten turned around... but actually ended up making a complete loop around the island I'd just set out from.  After getting my barrings again (using the cave as my reference point) I stepped off again, this time keeping my eyes front and just walking straight ahead.  It had been a long time since I've been lost in a fog. :D

By the time I got back to my new encampment, it was getting pretty late in the evening.  So I just did more organizing, a little bit of mending, and slept for a solid 11 hours.

I'm still being cautious... I know there is possibly at least one pack still roaming, and I suppose it's possible they could turn up here (or at the very least nearby).

I will still need to explore the rafters and rooves.  I'll at least want to do a dry run of this "parkour course" before attempting it during an aurora.  Although, I suppose I could just take a week's worth of food with me, and simply camp out in front of the Workshop.  (I'll have to think about that one some more)

With my mapping tasks completed, that also lifts my self imposed food restrictions... so I can now start eating those found food items that I've been gathered up in caches all over Great Bear.  However, I think I am still going to abstain from that at least until I get the Workshop unlocked (the region just won't feel completed until I get this one last thing accomplished).  After that's done though, I'm going to dine an a huge dinner of chips and sardines. :D

I think tomorrow though, I will take a trek back to my cabin (I want to stash the flare shells I found with my flare gun, I want to retrieve my books from Pensive Lookout and the Worker Residence.  While I'm at the lookout I should probably grab the Timber Wolf pelts as well.  When I do leave I'll need to take at least four pelts with me, and I planned on exiting via the cave leading to Forlorn Muskeg.

I think for the next portion of my personal challenge, I'm going to gather up all the pelts I'll need and consolidate them back at the Mountaineer's Hut in Timberwolf Mountain.  Once I have all the resources together, then I'll start crafting... and just to make things more interesting - I will wait to trigger the achievement by holding off on sleeping in the bearskin bedroll until I can do so on the summit of Timberwolf Mountain.  :D

Even though I already achieved my version of "It was THIS Big" in my previous attempt, I've still been adhering to those same requirements for this run.  That is to say: I will only fish out of fresh water sources until I catch a Smallmouth Bass that weighs more than 5 kg.

After that, it's just working up all my skills to level 5... and then lastly just surviving beyond 500 days.

Admittedly, I'd started this thread simply to chronicle the Faithful Cartographer portion of the challenge (as it seemed the most arduous part of it), but at this point I feel like I should keep the thread going until I compete my challenge in it's entirety. 

Also, I do really enjoy keeping a sort of journal of this little adventure I've been on.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
Corrected Errors
  • Like 2

...okay, this wasn't expected....

After climbing up the rope and exploring the second floor of the warehouse, I heard what sounded like little footsteps outside.  I crept out to the edge of the overhang (just above the deck of The Harbinger).  After a minute or so, saw at least two Timber Wolves. 

So it appears the cannery has been invaded by another pack.  I'm not sure if this is a triggered event, or just bad luck on my part.

In either case, I quickly dropped down to the deck of The Harbinger, and slid down the side of the hull down to the ice.  I managed to get clear of the cannery without detection, ended up following the shore under the Long Bridge, and then up the slope to the road on the inlet side.  I had a good vantage now, only to find that it's another pack of four (or perhaps a new pack of three and the lone survivor I left last time).  It looks like this pack is sticking to the inside of the compound... so I'd have to sweep and clear very carefully if I didn't want to take the pack head on.

I stayed low as I crept past the main gate and into the ruined building.  I'd already spotted two Timber Wolves pass by the barrels and trailer, as they skulk about the yard.  I set myself up next to one of the columns... I didn't want to get too far in, in case I needed to beat a hasty retreat.  This group was tightly packed like the last one.  I'm not sure I will be able to deal with this pack as smoothly I'd managed the last one.

I ended up having to take three careful shots in relatively quick succession, the whole pack was clustered in the center of the yard.  Thankfully, all three shots struck true and again I left the lone survivor to scamper off.  I quickly gathered up my spent casings set about harvesting these three (not I definitely don't have any worries about food for the duration of my stay).

Given this little surprise, I'm expecting to be raided by at least a couple more packs as I make my way thought the rooves and rafters.

I'm glad I opted to do a dry run... I would not want to have to deal with these packs in the middle of an aurora.
I'm assuming that these packs are a one time scripted encounter, I can't imagine that this would happen every time I have to get to the workshop (but we'll see, I suppose).

I will definitely try to finish the obstacle course in my next session... but depending on how many "event triggers" there are for Timber Wolf invasions, it might take a while.  I do prefer to stealthily take out Timber Wolves (rather than dealing with a whole pack going on the attack), but it does sometimes take a while.

I have a feeling that I'll have to try and take out the next pack from an elevated position (which I've not really done before, so this could be interesting).

Considering all the Timber Wolf pelts I've already collected, I guess I won't need to grab any from the Pensive Lookout (I have more than I need here in this break room already).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad that I assumed that the Timber Wolf invasions were triggered events. :D  With this in mind, I was better prepared for it.

Having dispatched the first incursion, I tried making my way further over the rooves and rafters (but stayed crouched as much as possible).  This afforded me the opportunity to avoid alerting the wolves as I started to pass over the main gate.  Rather than try to snipe them from up top... I was able to get back across the catwalk in the warehouse and take them out from the ground.  However, the pack seemed to have moved out of the area.  I figured they had perhaps roamed around the hillside overlooking the complex.  I waited for a while, but the wind was biting and eventually I needed to get in out of the cold.

After warming up for a bit, I eventually spotted one as it neared the ruined building.  I took it down without issue, but in the process the other four, must have been close enough to spot me.  With the Timber Wolves now on the attack, I retreated to warehouse in the far corner (where my encampment at the break room is).  Rather than duck inside, I decided to position myself in the large door way.  It didn't take long before the first one of the bunch started to make it's way though the warehouse.

The first couple of times I aimed in, each wolf would run away.  I decided to try the tactic of keeping my eyes down.  I don't know if it was effective or not, but the third time as a Timber Wolf started stalking it's way thought the warehouse... I was able to aim in (pointing more at the ground, then swinging up to line up the shot) and dropped it before it could get too close.  I repeated this with the next three, and now I had a sizeable pile of meat stashed in the break room.

That evening, I got a fire going.  I concentrated on my water supply, but I also got a good portion of the meat cooked up.  I could definitely hole-up here for a very long time, but my success was going to be dependent on my supply of ammo (which is starting to dwindle).  If worse comes to worse, I do have about 5 or 6 marine flares stashed here as well.  So far, I've not had to use any... but if there are too many more waves of Timber Wolves yet to deal with, I may just have to resort to using them.

The next day, I climbed up to take another run at it.  This time, I was more confidant that the invasions were indeed triggered events... so I anticipated another incursion as I approached the upper part of the ruined building.  I was correct.  However, this time I didn't see a good way to get to ground without alerting the pack, so I stayed aloft and had to deal with the enraged pack.  They were quick (darting around all over the place), but with some patience I took down a couple of them and the rest scattered.  The pile of Timber Wolf pelts I have collected was getting rather large (though I'm not going to get a tally until after I deal with however many more incursions there end up being).

Early the next morning, I went looking for whatever was left of the pack (I expected to find at least two more), but they seemed to have disappeared.  There was one left alive, but that one was alone and skittish.  The other two, I expected to find where nowhere to be found (did they de-spawn?).  I decided to take it easy for the rest of the day, gathering up what resources I could find in the vehicles (as well as gathering up what I could in the two warehouses I now had access to).

The cold has been a bit of a problem, despite all my warm clothes the heavy windchill has been wreaking havoc on my condition (I'd been more focused on harvesting all my kills, and less attention to how cold I was getting).  I'd decided to take a day to recuperate, and pay careful attention to all the "needs."  Coupled with a good night's sleep and a little birch bark tea... I should have recovered enough, to risk another fray.

If I'm right, I should only have one more incursion to deal with... I should have enough ammo to take care of it.  So far, I've been able to maintain the ideal one-shot/one-kill (I decided when I started this that if one shot didn't take one down... then I'd rather let it bleed and risk losing the pelt & meat).  Considering I came into the region with a relatively small amount of ammunition, I think I'm in good shape.  It seems my estimations of what I'd need, were pretty good.

I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow.  I may have to take them on from the docks.  From my previous exploration around the area, I think I should be out of reach.  I imagine that if I can't find a sneaky way to get the Workshop... then neither can the Timber Wolves (though that's not to say they may not spawn on the doc... that's a possibility I'm giving serious thought).

It's been an exciting few days... but I am kind of looking forward getting this obstacle course completed.  I kind of want to go back to living (more-or-less) at my own pace. :D

• Upvote 2

Keeping crouched, I managed to get down to the pier undetected (getting a few things stashed in front of the door to the Workshop).  Since I am determined to secure the complex, I decided get to the ice and make my way back around to the front and clean house once again.  Having done this a few times already, I made pretty short work of it.  I dropped one Timber Wolf as it was passing the trailer right next to the trailer in front of the ruined building, and I dropped another one that was coming up the banks from the shore.  This leaving a single lone Timber Wolf behind who likes to keep a respectful distance now.

I harvested the kills and decided to take inventory of the pelts.  It turns out that I now have 16 Timber Wolf pelts in total, just from my stay here at the cannery break room.  These four triggered events were rough... hopefully there aren't any more.  I decided to do some more prep work, before camping out in front of the workshop door (waiting for the next aurora).

The following morning I decided I would finally go and gather up my skill books.  I cautiously crossed the long bridge (not seeing the bear anywhere around), and stopped in at the Worker Residence.  There I grabbed the gunsmithing book, and waited a bit until I was warmed up.  From there, I decided to hike up to the cabin (where I could grab some more spent casings and flare shells).  As I made my way across  the main road, I spotted an entire pack wandering the hill side.  I'm not sure if it's the pack I'd spared earlier or if the Timber Wolves were started to re-spawn.  I chose to just take the path along the ridge line on the other side of Raven Crossing.  This way I would just avoid the pack entirely.  I have a fully loaded rifle but only 2 rounds to spare.  I didn't want to do any more shooting if I could help it.

I stopped by the cabin (just to warm up a little), but there was enough daylight left that I wanted to try the rope climb.  I made my way carefully along the ridge line (I didn't want to alert the pack wandering on the hillside just a head.  I was pretty tired, but I gave it a try just to see if I could make it up the the ledge for a quick nap.  However, I couldn't quite make it.  I had to slide back down and hope I didn't loose my grip as I was coming back down (luckily I made it safely).  At this point I was exhausted, so I went back to the cabin to spend the night.  Thanks to the food supply I'd left behind, I had a very comfortable evening, and slept soundly though the night.

The next morning I made up the climb, but had to stay crouched as I carefully crept to Pensive Lookout.  Much like down below, either another pack moved in or the packs are starting to re-spawn (because there is another pack of three here on the upper shelf as well).  As quickly as I could manage while keeping low, I grabbed both books, some more spent casings that I'd stashed up there, and another bag of dusting sulfur.  As I was coming back down I noticed a Timber Wolf running full speed over the trail just below the tower... I waited a while, but I didn't see any indicators that a pack was on to me.  I suppose it was just chasing a deer, but whatever the reason... it meant the back to the rope would have at least one less pack member nearby.

After getting to the bottom of the rope, I decided I would take the longer way around again to try and avoid encountering a pack.  I made the trek down to Raven Crossing and simply followed the road to (and across) the Long Bridge.  Now that I had everything settled.  I started hauling what I needed up the short rope climb and over the rest of the obstacle course.  The plan was to spend the nights here to catch the next aurora.  This last week (in-game) there had been auroras very frequent (like 4 in the last 7 days, frequent).  However, I knew that it would be just my luck that now that I'm all set... there would be along spell of bad weather.

Which is exactly what happened. :D

A blizzard, dense fog, heavy snow... for the next four game days I was camping out in front of the door to the Workshop, and during the day doing even more sorting (and occasional wood gathering).  It wasn't as long of a wait as that time I was camping out at the waterfall cave in Forlorn Muskeg for the Archivist Challenge (that time I was camped out for 21 days before an aurora showed up... and another 27 days in Broken Railroad :D).

I spent those four game-days or so, building up good amount of fresh water and food.  If I ever come back here in this life (and I very likely will since I will still need to get my gunsmithing up to level 5)... the workshop will be an easy stop over in the future.  Fortunately enough, at around day four of the camp out... an aurora allowed me to open the door and finally I can finally call this region completed.  However, I would wait until daylight before actually entering, exploring, and getting all my gunsmithing supplies organized for future use.  Upon stepping inside I found my old friend Fluffy!  Sadly, she was not happy to see me... and I had to act quickly to put her down before she ate my face...

After that bitter-sweet reunion.  I harvested what I could from Fluffy (which wasn't much - she's apparently not been doing well since she left the Dam... only 4.1 kg of meat on her).  I left her pelt there in the workshop to cure and added the meat to the stash I have just outside in my encampment.  I spent the day gathering up what I could find, sorting everything I wanted to leave here (which included a full set of basic and advanced tools), and all the gunsmithing supplies I've found in the region.  I also spent about an hour and a half crafting what I had into gun powder (just to save some time later and see how much progress it put towards level 5).

I split my stash of marine flares (the workshop front door and the warehouse break room), and stashed the flare shells I found in the break room as well.  I spent one last day just doing a final sorting before getting ready to leave.  With the abundance of food I had, I've been keeping my stomach full for the most part. 

I would spend one last night in Break Inlet, before leaving to go gather up the pelts I was going to need for the next goal. :)

I woke up mid-morning the next day, gathered up four Timber Wolf Pelts & four Cured Gut (what I need for a wolfskin coat), and aimed to hike to my encampment over at my "Frozen Delta/Cave" encampment.  Once I got there, I saw that I'd left a Deer Pelt there... so I grabbed that up along with four more Cured Gut as well.  Since I was still under my encumbrance, and with plenty of daylight left... I pushed on for the Transition Cave that would lead to Forlorn Muskeg.

As I approached, I kept an eye out for Timber Wolves as well as a Moose.  Good news on both counts... the was no Timber Wolf pack nearby, and the Moose was wandering around father ahead of the Hunter's Blind.  This made for an easy trip up and around (sticking closer to the ridge line).  I made it to the cave with no trouble.  It took me a little bit more time to navigate though this interesting cave system.  It have a few more twists and turns that I'd anticipated, and it had a short climb as well (specifically the kind made of roots and rocks - so even if I was running heavy... it wouldn't have mattered :)).

I remembered that the last time I'd visited Forlorn Muskeg, there was a wolf that would sometimes prowl around near the mouth of this cave.  I still don't want to use the rifle unnecessarily, so I when I exited the transition cave... I made sure I was crouched down.  Sure enough, I heard the pitter-patter paws nearby... so I stayed low and crawled a good distance away before standing up to start working my way across the ice.

As soon at I'd gotten to the first patch of ground out on the muskeg... the weather shifted and quickly turned into a full on blizzard.  I didn't want to try finding my way across the ice to the Old Spence Homestead... so instead I tried just wanted to get back to the ridge line and look for a cave.  Instead of finding the cave I was looking for, I ended up finding the Transition Cave that would lead back to Bleak Inlet.  I was just grateful to have found shelter. :D   I've finished my mapping tasks I'm free to travel around now as needs be.  It's a warm cave, I just hope the storm will pass before nightfall... thought it looks likely that I will be spending the night here.

Tomorrow, I plan on heading over to the Old Spence Family Homestead...but only as a stop over.  I need to get my pelts from the cave near the radio tower.  Then I'll head down to the Poachers Camp to fill my stomach (and spend the night if necessary).  Then I'll head through Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley on the way back to Timberwolf Mountain.  After getting myself situated at the Mountaineer's Hut again, I'll set out to collect all my Moose and Bear hides (along with whatever deer and rabbit pelts I'll need).

Then, after gathering up my furs... I'll begin crafting and start on my version of "Wrapped in Furs."

It feels good to finally get have all my maps finished and as clean as I could make them.  Knowing where all the harvestable resources are on the island could be very useful... (though so far in all 325 days of this run... I've not picked/harvested anything except for ravaged carcasses).

On my travels to gather up pelts... I need to remember to note where I've stashed bows and arrows.  When it comes time to level all my skills up to 5, I'll want to use up all those resources before I have to resort to harvesting saplings.

I guess that's enough planning ahead for now... I have more than enough work ahead of me to keep me busy for a while yet. :D

• Like 1

Oh, I nearly forgot... also today, I got another surprise.  In this session, I apparently (after all these years) lit my 1,000th fire. :D
Earning me the Fire Master Badge.  It's neat to have the badge, but I never use feats... so I was never much concerned about the benefits.

Even so, it was pretty wonderful to see the badge pop up.  Even that little bit of fanfare during the struggle of this game (particularly my little personal challenge) feels really satisfying. 

Now that I think of it, at the rate these blizzards have been hitting during in this run... it may not be much longer before I get the badge for Blizzard Walker as well. :D

Maybe, I might think about living on fish and rabbits for a while when I get back to the Mountaineer's Hut. ;)  (however I'd hate to have anything lay around wasted... so I think for the rabbits, I'd just harvest the meat and use the rest of the carcass to feed my reluctant hunting partner - The Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Once the blizzard passed I made it over to the Old Spence Family Homestead.  I scouted around near the radio tower and spotted a wolf, so I decided to wait a day to see if it moves on to another spot.  However, the following day the wolf was still roaming around the same spot.  Rather than wait yet another day, I opted to stealth around it and approach the cave from the opposite side.  I picked up the bear pelt, as well as some of the cured gut, and headed further along the ridge line to the train tracks.  By the time I got to the Poacher's Camp it was getting late into the evening, so I ate my fill and spent the night in the railroad car.

The next morning, I set out on one of the longest one day treks I've taken since the Hopeless Rescue Challenge.  I managed to hike through Mystery Lake (stopping by the Camp Office to eat and pick up deer pelts), made it quickly though the Winding River, and then Pleasant Valley (following the back trail to the Long Curve; then down the road to the Community Hall where I spent the night).  In the morning, I gathered up more pelts/cured gut, I headed across the desolate expanse behind Thompson's Crossing, skirted passed the burned out cabins of the Lonely Homestead, and on to the Draft Dodger's Cabin to warm up a little bit.

After spending a few minutes warming up, I set out up the foot path taking me up near Skeeter's Ridge.  However, just after I got up there a blizzard struck.  I was hoping it would pass quickly, but I'd forgotten how treacherous the Pleasant Valley weather was.  The storm raged on for about 24 hours.  Once it finally passed, I hiked over to the Abandoned Prepper Cache, dropped the heavier moose and bear pelts, made the climb up the rope, dropped off the rest of the pelts up top, and made a second trip to haul up the moose and bear pelts.  After that I went straight for the Mountaineer's Hut back home on Timberwolf Mountain.

Tomorrow, I'll get myself situated and start working on crafting my fur clothing load out.

I'll have to go on a couple more treks to get the other three bear pelts from Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, and eventually Hushed River Valley.

Bleak Inlet has really made a mark on my daily habits.  I noticed I was still walking around with my weapon at the ready... :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

It feels good to be back in Timberwolf Mountain.  I haven't trekked around the region too much, just went to go collect sticks around the Mountaineer's Hut as well as back around the Landing Gear wreckage.  I also chased a deer into the jaws of my reluctant hunting partner (The Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake).  Not that I needed the meat, but it's been something in the ballpark of 300 days since I've been in this region... so I wanted to feed him, just to let him know I was home. :D

I also spent the next few days crafting.  With what I collected on the way from Bleak Inlet, I was able to craft: 2 pairs of Deerskin Pants, Rabbitskin Hat, Rabbitskin Mitts, Moose Hide Cloak, and my (Timber) Wolfskin Coat.  All I need now are the other three bear pelts to make the Bearskin Bedroll and Bearskin Coat, but I wasn't in any rush...  I wanted to enjoy being back in my favorite region for a little while.  I spent one afternoon/evening fishing.  I mainly just did it because I still need to work up my fishing skill, and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start working up a little stockpile for when the moose meat eventually runs out.  :)

Thankfully Crystal Lake is a freshwater source... so I can also work on catching a Smallmouth Bass heavier than 5 kg, right there in front of my house. :D

I think in my next session, I make a trip out to gather up more of those bear pelts.
I'm not sure if I will go to Coastal Highway, then Desolation Point... or if I will head out to Hushed River Valley (collecting up bows, arrows, and rifle ammo along the way).  I'll have to think on that some more.

However, once the Halloween Event kicks off... I will likely put my personal challenge on hiatus, and come back to it whenever I manage to complete the event.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I was pretty happy with my second run at the Halloween Event.  I managed to get 9 of 10 Diary Pages, but was killed in the Ravine on my way to Bleak Inlent.  As fate would have it, no rope spawned anywhere in the zone... so ultimately I was trapped while trying to get make it to BI for the final page.  It was a good run...  I had a lot of fun with the event, and I still earned my badges.  I was contemplating making one more run to try and get all 10... but real life stuff has kept me busy these last couple days (otherwise I might have had another go).

However, I think I'm more eager to get back to my Personal Challenge. :)

I'd really like to compete it before the December Update.  This save is also really starting to show it's age; indoor/outdoor transitions and saves are really sluggish.  I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but this run has been patched though I think 4 updates now (counting the Halloween Event).  I noticed that starting a new run, all the transition and save sluggishness isn't a problem... so I think the quicker I get this run finished and start fresh, the better. 

Hopefully, I'll be able to get a session in tomorrow.

I'll need to hike a long distance to gather up those last three Bear Pelts I need.  I may just go on one long trek (rather than two separate trips).  It might take several days, but I think it could be fun.  I don't really need to go anyplace that I'd consider "too dangerous," and I have good caches of food in most regions.  I think that a nice walking tour of Great Bear Island might be nice after the Fright Night I just experienced.  :D

I think that settles it then... the next session, I will head out to collect my bear pelts from: Coastal Highway, Desolation Point, and Hushed River Valley.

I shouldn't need any weapons, so I will likely leave those behind.  However along the way, I will pick up ammo as well as bows an arrows (I'm going to need those later on to get all my skills worked up).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I double checked all my crafted clothing, and took another look at my supplies.  I needed to wait a couple more hours for sunup, so I looked over my clothes and gear.  I put away my rifle, unloaded the cloth/leather I was carrying, and also dropped all non-essentials.  I did pick up a hacksaw because I wanted to see how practical it would be to break down batteries while out on this long hike.

Soon after sunup, I filled my stomach, grabbed about a day's worth of water, and quickly set out towards Pleasant Valley.  Once I got to Pleasant Valley, I stopped off at the Prepper Cache, then on ahead past Skeeter's Ridge (I did have to cut a wide berth to avoid a wolf), and continued on past the birch forest to the Community Hall.  Once I got inside, I immediately filled my stomach again and checked over my supplies.  I grabbed a bow and five arrows, along with ammunition (and spent casings), and I also opted to pick up a Revolver (I don't have one at Timberwolf Mountain yet, so I figured I will grab that to take back with me).

I didn't waste anytime after eating and getting organized (I did opt to leave behind the lead and the hacksaw - I'll gather it up on the way back or perhaps on another trip later).  I left the Community Hall and took the back path over the river and up to the path leading up to the mine.  Once I got inside the Cinder Hills Coal Mine, I gathered up all the coal I could.  However, I left it all at the entrance to Coastal Highway.  This way I could pick it up on the way back and it would give the cave time to produce even more (which I won't likely need... I've already dropped off 40 pieces of coal for later).  Once I got into Coastal Highway, I followed the paths down towards the Log Sort (even scooting down the lower slope just to save some time).  I stepped out on the ice just before getting to The Tooth, and took a direct route to the Fishing Camp.

I looked around carefully as I approached.  I needed to keep an eye out for bears, as well as the wolf that sometimes likes to prowl around the pier.  So far the way was clear today... but it was also getting late.  I will likely have to stay here for the night.  I noted that back over by the fishing hut, I still have a good quantity of bear meat and a little bit of venison (but those would need to be cooked so I was less interested in those).  I found my Bear Pelt in the center cabin of the Fishing Camp, and a huge stock of found food in the cabin nearer to the road.  Looking at how ample the food and water supply was, I felt good about stopping over for the night.

Tomorrow I'll head out across the ice and head to Desolation Point.  I should be able to get there and back inside of a single day.  I'm going to have to check my notes to see if I specified whether I left the Bear Pelt.  I don't really remember off the top of my head where I stashed it.  I'm hoping I left it at the Old Stone Church, but it's equally likely that I left it at the Riken or the Lonely Lighthouse.  I suppose I will check the church first... though I think perhaps the Riken is the most likely place (it was right near where I took down the bear), but I'll just have to wait and see.

All in all, this trip is going really well.  I've not had to worry about hunger or thirst, and I know have a couple of self defense options should the need arise.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

(Saturday Session)
I was able to make it to Desolation Point and back (my pelt was indeed out at the Riken).  I was able to hit the locations I wanted without issue.  The lighthouse gave me a good stash of ammunition, bow and arrows, and arrow heads as well as some other relevant crafting materials.  Fortunately I was also able to make through OIC undetected both ways.  The going was easy on the way back through Coastal Highway, however it was getting past dark.  Visibility wasn't the best, so I didn't want to risk running into wolves either skulking by the Log Sort, The Tooth, or the Fishing Camp pier.

I ultimately double backed to on of the nearby fishing huts to camp for the night.  As usual, I only slept in very short bursts.  About two hours into the the night, a blizzard hit.  I was able to tough it out through most of the night.  However, closer to morning I did end up having to make a quick fire with one stick and one piece of coal (just enough to warm me up a little and get me through till dawn).  Just after dawn (and through a worryingly dense fog), I set my sights on following Bear Creek up to exit into The Ravine.

By the time I made it up to The Ravine, the fog had fortunately lifted.  I quickly made my way across the Raven Falls Trestle, and on to Mystery Lake.  I was able to pass though Mystery Lake without issue, and spent the night in the transition cave leading towards Mountain Town.  The next morning I was able to make both climbs and hike the back path leading behind St. Christopher's Church.  Stopping off only to fill my stomach, I quickly made my way out to Hushed River Valley.

Hushed River Valley, still demands respect.  :D
So far on this hike, I'd not really had any close calls.  However, HRV was quick to remind me not to get overconfident.  I first went to check the cave near Stairsteps Lake (but I'd only left some gear and supplies there).  I knew I'd have to go all the way back to the first encampment I made when I was here mapping.  The hike was going smoothly until I was just around the corner from getting my initial cave cache.  I suddenly found myself between a prowling wolf, and a wondering bear.  I got low, and drew my revolver (just in case).  I tried to lay low, just far enough away to avoid detection.  Naturally I was more worried about the bear, so I patiently watched until I thought I had an opportunity to cross over between the bear and it's den.  This was going to be the only path to my cave cache that would allow me to avoid the wolf.

As I decided to make my move.  I only made it a couple of meters when I heard angry noises from the bear behind me...  My heart was pounding as I ran, I thought for sure it was charging.  I didn't even try to check behind me until I ran out of stamina.  I quickly spun around, ready to fire... but the bear was only stalking me.  I quickly continued up the hill, and thankfully the bear lost interest.  This encounter was enough to remind me of how quickly I loose this run.  After I gathered up my bear pelt, and filled my stomach.  I cautiously made the return to the Stair Steps Lake cave.  I gathered up another bow and arrow set (and a few other odds and ends), and made it back to Mountain Town by way of Cloudtop Falls.

Once in Mountain Town, I stopped by the trailer on the hill to grab another small meal of venison.  I carefully crossed the road, and slid down the slope to the wood lot.  I then slid down the bank to the river and kept to the cliff face to get to the Milton House.  I gathered up more ammo and a couple more arrows.  I slept for the night, filled my stomach the next morning, and headed straight for the Milton Park Office.  I wasted no time getting down the first rope, then back up the other.    I marched on at a brisk pace until I got back to the Camp Office at Mystery Lake.  Now that I was on the way back, I made sure to grab up some reclaimed wood and a snare I stashed there (I figured I may as well work on my trapper's merit badge while living on Timberwolf Mountain :)).

At dawn, I hustled to make good time getting to Winding River.  Once I came through to Pleasant Valley, I opted for the safer path of following the road from Long Curve.  I went out across the field just past the Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  I knew that Draft Dodger's Cabin was easily accessible just before I'd gotten to the birch forest.  I kept close to the cliff face and was able to sneak up the foot path to Skeeter's ridge.  I was able to get all the way back to the rope climb (took a little nap at the base of the rope), and kept driving on to return home to Timberwolf Mountain.

By now it was getting rather dark, but the weather was clearer here on Timberwolf Mountain.  It was much easier to safely find my way back to the Mountaineer's Hut... and a well earned rest.

Now I have my pelts... just need to craft up a bearskin coat and a bearskin bedroll.

Then I'll have a mountain to climb.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

(Sunday Session)

It took almost a week to get situated.  The bearskin coat alone took 30 hours of crafting.  As I was getting everything organized and testing my carrying capacity with all the crafted clothing, I noticed that for some reason the I couldn't wear the rabbitskin hat.  It turned out that I somehow had started it but never finished it (it still had another 6 hours to go).  That set me back another day, but that was fine... I'm not really on any kind of timetable for this but my own.  I did a little fishing to round out the day, once I'd finished the hat.

The next morning I suited up in all my furs and started in earnest for the Summit.  I had on two pairs of deerskin pants, rabbitskin mitts, rabbitskin hat, moose hide satchel, (timber)wolfskin coat, bearskin coat, deerskin boots, moose cloak (in the inventory as an "extra blanket"), and of course the bearskin bedroll.  I was also wearing my best warm clothing in the other slots where I couldn't wear furs, in addition I kept an extra toque and a pair of wool mittens.  *I would swap out hat and mittens when I sleep... I don't want to trigger the achievement until I get to the summit.*  :)

The first day I made it to Eric's Falls.  Though on the way there I had to dodge the bear as it came down the way heading towards the Deer Clearing.  Just as I'd gotten around the bear, I had to deal with a hungry wolf.  I ultimately decided to use myself as bait to lure it down the slope and try to get it onto the rabbits nearby.  Once I led the wolf to an easier meal... I had a nice leisurely stroll to the cave next to Eric's Falls.  Early the next morning, I carefully approached the rope leading to the upper shelf... and was even feeling well enough to try for the summit without delay.  I did end up having to take a short nap on the first ledge, but even so... I'd made good time up this mountain.

I was a little disappointed... I was kind of hoping for some rabbits either on the upper shelf, or on the summit itself.  However, there were none to be found.  In the end that wasn't a big deal.  I'd brought three MREs to sustain me on the trip, I'd just kind of wanted to strip and eat a rabbit while I was camping up here earning my "Wrapped in Furs" merit badge. :D

I setup at the campfire I'd set up nearly a year ago in the tail section.  I took a good long look at my home on Crystal Lake from the Summit, then I make sure I had all my furs on and slept next to a roaring fire in my cozy bearskin bedroll.  Finally earning my version of "Wrapped in Furs."

The following morning I was kind of out of food, so I opted to take the dangerous route by scooting down the face of the mountain.  Surprisingly, I managed to get down without even so much as a sprain. :D

When I returned to the Mountaineer's Hut, I stored away all my fur clothes (and bedroll).  Honestly, my usual gear was good enough (and while not necessarily as warm, the fur clothing was much more restrictive compared to the sum of my usual gear).

I've been spending the next in-game week or so, fishing and snaring rabbits.  One of those mornings I wasn't paying close enough attention, and nearly died of Hypothermia.  :D  I recovered alright, but decided to save fishing for the afternoons from now on.

I used my reluctant hunting companion (The Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake) to help me hunt a deer and then a rabbit, but ultimately need to lure him back up the river a ways with some ruined raw gut I'd been saving.  This way I could get him far enough away to harvest without a skirmish.

All in all... I'm really enjoying my day to day survival tasks.  After all I've been though on this run so far... this feels like a well earned reprieve.

I'm going to focus on fishing and trapping for now.  Once I catch a Smallmouth Bass over 5 kg, then I think I will start bow hunting.  After I get my new record fish for the run, think it's about time to work up all my skills to level 5.  There's still much work left to do.  :)

[Addendum]
It's now day 367... I've made it through my first game-year, so far this is definately my most successful run (despite all the extra rules, provisos, and side challenges I've built in to make life harder for myself).  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
corrected errors
  • Like 1

I've spent several more game days fishing and checking my snares.  It's been rather peaceful, and I'm getting very good at sneaking my catch back to the Mountaineer's Hut without attracting the attention of The Lone Wolf of Crystal Lake.

[Side Note]
I'm not sure if the Aurora is supposed to multiply the number of wolves in a given area... but twice now when I've looked out at the lake during an aurora and I'm certain that the number of wolves out on the lake suddenly increases to 3.  However, by morning when I wake up again... it's back down to just the 1 lone wolf I'm accustomed to.
[Side Note/]

The fishing has been going really well.  If I can get a warm morning, I'll commit to 8 hours of fishing (otherwise I just do 6 hours at around noon).  My fishing skill is nearing level 5 now, and I've already managed to satisfy my challenge goal of catching a Smallmouth Bass that weighed more than 5 kg.

*The reason I'd wanted this to be part of my challenge was because I knew that most folks would just grid for Coho Salmon (as they can "naturally" be found to weigh as much as 5.5 kg).  While the freshwater Smallmouth Bass caps out it's "natural" weight range at 5 kg.  However, the benefits of higher fishing levels includes a significant boost to "catch weight," and I wanted to know if that could potentially give me Smallmouth Bass that exceeded their "natural" weight range (turns out, yes it does).  So, once I'm level 5... I could potentially catch a Smallmouth Bass weighing up to 6.5 kg.  :)  (perhaps I'll try and do that before the run's end - I'll have to see, I do have other goals to consider first)

Oh the other hand, my snares are not being very productive.  In a more than a week, I've only managed to snare 5 rabbits.  I know it's an issue of placement... but I have yet to find the sweet spot.  Every few days I move the snares around the general vicinity of where I'd observed rabbits frolicking, but as of right now I seem to average a catch every four-five days.  I know that catching 5 rabbits over the course of 10 days via 3 snares (just can't be right).  I suppose this means that I must have them placed either on the edge of, or slightly outside the "spawning area."  I just need figure out exactly where the warren is... I guess.

Beyond fishing and trapping... I've also used found items to craft up four more arrows.  I'd found a single arrow shaft and a cured birch sapling while I was out on my travels (the sapling was found while beachcombing back when I was mapping desolation point).  The arrow heads had been collected from broken arrows I've found or simply found as is.  In total, I have about 15 arrows now and 3 bows.  This should give me plenty to practice/hunt without having to harvest any saplings.

*It's still kind of a side goal to not harvest any plants for as long as possible on this run.  So far, my counters are still at 0.  The Lichen I have was found while beachcombing, and the same for my "emergency supply" of 5 cattail stalks.  So far the only thing I've let myself harvest, are ravaged carcasses, recycling old clothes, and breaking down only crates which were necessary to breakdown.  I've other wise left the entire island intact (I just like it better that way).

I think I'll keep fishing until I do finally max it out (I think that will just be another day or two).

Then I think I'll work up my archery skill by hunting.
Hopefully by the time I wear out 3 bows and break 15 arrows, I should be maxed out on that skill as well.  Admittedly, I'm still rubbish with the bow... I've never really forced myself to rely on it, so I suppose this will be a chance to finally get my proficiency with it up to scratch.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

After thinking about it some more... if I am going to focus on "Skilled Survivor" next... I suppose I should get organized, and start planning how I want to do it. :D

Cooking and Carcass Harvesting are already at level 5, so I don't have to worry about those.

Fishing should be done soon - so that isn't a concern.
Fire Starting will likely get maxed out while I'm working on Fishing (after all I need to cook the fish for the lantern oil anyway).
Archery, Rifle, and Revolver I think I'll quickly max out just by actively hunting (rather than my usual less direct methods).
I've easily got more than enough batteries stashed at the Community Hall to put me over the top for Gunsmithing; crafting bullets from the scrap lead.
Mending... this may be the one that I may have to get a little wasteful in order to max out in a more sensible time frame.

However, I may also use mending as a stopgap... I do want to first make sure that I max out the all three Secondary Skills before earning "Skilled Survivor."
I think it only feels right that when I earn it, that I have ALL my skills maxed out.  :)

First thing tomorrow, I'll take stock of where all my skills are now.  I think  most of them are already at level 4 due to all the skill books I've read... but tomorrow I'll take notes so I have a good idea of how much I'll have to work on each of them.  I know a couple of them are only at level 3... but I don't remember which ones specifically.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1