1000 Fires!

piddy3825

1000 Fires!

This one right here, number 1000!  

screen_aeacd4b9-2b3f-4f3f-a515-9801e2955331_hi.thumb.png.16f126802a29bb89c358b139dbc7d82c.png

I never thought I would be playing this game long enough to have ever attained this achievement.  This isn't just going out and throwing stones at bunnies til you hit one, but you gotta work hard and long to get this feat unlocked.  I had pretty much given up on the idea long ago.  Think about all those matches, tinder and sticks that it takes to start a fire.  then multiply that by 1000.  Yeah, right?  So how long did it take me to reach 1000?

screen_71b94439-486e-48a5-8187-f5edc2d82cd5_hi.thumb.png.f7d9df23d6b94be743dd79b3a1289827.png

I purchased TLD thru Steam in early August of 2015, at that time my version would have been V.257 and I don't recall this feature being part of the achievements or merit badges available in the game at that time.  So from whatever date the counter started from, it took a good long while in real time to become a Fire Master.

screen_0859c940-b962-4bcf-987b-6a26f51289b7_hi.thumb.png.d8928bbb7ee89cd53fc3f1dcc749dcb3.png

(close up)  

Checking my Steam stats,  I've logged 1723 hours playing The Long Dark so if I did the math right, I've been averaging about 3 fires lit for every two hours of game play.  Either way another couple of months and it would almost be 4 years to the day.  Wow, never thought I would be playing the same game 4 years later and still loving every minute when I do.

Who else has hit 1000?  Love to hear about it if you did.  Please feel free to comment.  Your feedback is greatly encouraged and appreciated.  Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

" Who else has hit 1000?  Love to hear about it if you did. "

I lit 1032 fires in a 1001 day Voyager game.  I have deleted quite a few games so I guess I must have lit in the order of 2,500 fires, that would be in normal play at the Voyager to Stalker level.  In Stalker games I try to avoid starting fires to save matches. 

I am sure that there will be some Pilgrim players who have spent much time just lighting a row of fires to boost their count of fires lit.

Here is a record from my journal.  As I said, many games I have played are not included in these results.

247649758_screen_(325)_9770800e-3faa-4196-8a13-70e97fbe4723.thumb.png.6b45f4dfad91ff344dd45609f12e8b02.png

Edited by peteloud

10 hours ago, peteloud said:

I lit 1032 fires in a 1001 day Voyager game.  I have deleted quite a few games so I guess I must have lit in the order of 2,500 fires, that would be in normal play at the Voyager to Stalker level.  In Stalker games I try to avoid starting fires to save matches. 

I tip my hat to you sir, that is some pretty impressive fire setting indeed!  Your reference to matches has got my attention as in my current play through my match supply has gotten increasingly sparse.  I honestly have very rarely if at all used the magnifying glass as a fire starter.  I was wondering if using the glass was a key strategy for you in regards to setting 1000 fires in as many days.  I dont think I every collected near enough matches.  I hope you dont mind sharing your methods?

Based on the timestamp of my screenshot, I earned mine October 3, 2016, at exactly 2:40pm.  I basically started grinding campfires out on the ice in CH, over and over, until it was done.  This was back before you could re-light campfires, so people interested in grinding campfires now can make this work by finding some nice cave somewhere, starting 3 or 4 campfires, and just cycle through relighting them.

If you prepare with an extreme abundance of sticks ahead of time, once you start that first fire, you can just start grabbing a torch every now and then and use that to light every subsequent fire.  Just toss it in when it gets to 20% or lower, and harvest a fresh one.  This is the method I use to level my firestarting skill to 5 without wasting matches.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

If you prepare with an extreme abundance of sticks ahead of time, once you start that first fire, you can just start grabbing a torch every now and then and use that to light every subsequent fire.  Just toss it in when it gets to 20% or lower, and harvest a fresh one.  This is the method I use to level my firestarting skill to 5 without wasting matches.

Kudos on your 1000!  Although I never lit fires just to be lighting them, when the two cooking surface feature was implemented on the campfire system, I did set up multiple campfires to speed up the cooking process.  Pulling a torch and using it to ignite the next fire certainly saved on using up tons of matches!  How often do you or did you use the magnifying glass?  This seems to get little use or does it?

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

How often do you or did you use the magnifying glass?  This seems to get little use or does it?

I use it almost exclusively, after I get settled in every region.  I use matches or firestrikers while I'm looting and getting all my ducks in a row, but once I have a solid grasp on the world, I will sit on stockpiles of raw meat or fish until a clear day allows me to use the maglens to start a fire.  I typically have hundreds or thousands of matches in reserve, depending on experience mode.

• Upvote 1

Re. Shortage of matches.

In Voyager I seem to have an unlimited supply of matches. I don't have any need to economise with them.

In one Stalker game I very nearly ran out of matches, with disastrous results so now I try and delay lighting a fire until I can use the magnifying glass.  When I do have a fire I try to boil several litres of water and cook several Kg of meat.  As meat never seems to become uneatable, even when ruined, which I think is wrong, I can have mountains of cooked meat ready to eat and reduce the need to cook.

In Pilgrim - Nah, I don't play Pilgrim, except with my young granddaughters or as a demo for unadventurous wimps.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Congratulations @piddy3825!  I'm not sure how/when I got this but I know I've had countless games!

yeah, thanks man, appreciate the encouragement!  I typically don't pay to much attention to stats but this took so long to complete, made me start wondering if i was playing the game wrong... lol

After playing quite a long time and then noticing the "Feats" I started to just work on them (spoiler.... yes I just play Pilgrim, hate to have to keep starting over from scratch each time my person dies...) and with the fire feat... I just set 10 fires and use a combo of matches and torches (Torches... thanks to a post from someone who suggest that...) to keep relighting one stick in each. Running around to collect sticks and barring the wind blowing them out I did manage to get from 2 or 3 hundred fires up to 1000.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I haven't gotten this yet and I don't know how long it will take. Achievement/feat harvesting isn't really my bag and in Pilgrim I rarely need to even light a fire let alone a bunch of them. This is a long way in the future for me. Congrats to those of you who have earned this.