Odd Behavior of Dropped Items on Snow

UTC-10

I have noticed that when dropping stuff on snow,  in the jpg, raw venison onto snow in Carter Hydro Dam baseyard, the dropped meat display an unusual behavior. I have noticed that this seems to extend (for me) all throughout the sandbox (I know it seems to apply in Mystery Lake and Broken Railroad).

If picked up and then placed they lay flat. While in "place item" mode they can also rotate, inconsistently, rather than remain exclusively fixed like before. Items like cups of herbal tea and coffee, even sodas, can appear laying on their sides or at odd angles. It is almost like the game forgets that there is a (generally) flat snow-covered surface the items are being dropped on. 

This only occurs on snow. Not ice - I tried it on the frozen lake.  Only newly dropped items were affected. Things that were already there were not.

Nothing seems to be wrong or lost though I have reported this behavior to Hinterland. 

20181221075921_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't find this odd at all.  Snow can be of different depths and of different densities.  It may or may not have a windblown crust on the top.  Items dropped into snow can sink into and land at odd angles or they can sit on top... just like your footprints IRL in snow can be shallow if you're walking on solid packed snow or you can sink to your knees if walking on loose, new fallen snow.  Sometimes your weight will be supported by wind packed crusty snow and other times you'll break through the supporting crust.

Then it would have to be something that was just introduced in the past couple of updates because dropped items before then had never behaved like this.  So my thought was not whether this was realistic game behavior for items dropped on snow, but whether this was working as intended. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry.  Since I've never played the game before the Redux update, I had no idea that the objects behaved any differently.  If it is a change, then It's one that I like.  If it's a bug, then it's one that I would say they maybe shouldn't worry about fixing unless items are actually going missing (i.e. dissappearing right under the snow layer).

If the behavior is intended then things should not get lost under the snow. I am okay with that. But I have seen where snow levels have changed, usually not by a lot, which in a couple cases meant campfires either had one cooking surface or no cooking surface, accessible, or in two recent cases, a wolf killed deer disappeared (I witnessed one of those events) under the snow though the wolf could eat the deer, but I could not (after chasing away the wolf, so not a case of nothing to harvest) make contact with the carcass to harvest. 

The shifting snow levels is one reason I suggested being able to dismantle campfire at will. 

Hinterland is looking into it, so I suppose what's happening is perhaps not what they want. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't find this odd at all....

I find this odd as well. My reason is that nothing else look like this, just the harvested meats (fish, venison, etc.). Like they were thrown from a distance, not layed down. All the other "dropped" stuff, like canned food, knife, firewood, etc. behaves like always before in the gameplay - basically from the first public versions.

1 hour ago, palbi said:

I find this odd as well. My reason is that nothing else look like this, just the harvested meats (fish, venison, etc.). Like they were thrown from a distance, not layed down. All the other "dropped" stuff, like canned food, knife, firewood, etc. behaves like always before in the gameplay - basically from the first public versions.

It's not a bug, and my understanding is this is an intentional improvement to the original gameplay. It's supposed to mimic how items would drop in real life you just flung them out of your pack.

I've been playing the game for about a year now, so it's definitely a part of the recent Redux batch of updates. The update does affects other items like cans as well. I just noticed this yesterday in Hushed River Valley - I was dropping some canned food before climbing down a rope, and items were falling at random angles.

I also remember when the update first went through, because I was in the process of moving a large amount of items from Milton to Mystery Lake. I dropped off a bunch of items near the transition cave, and when I came back on a second trip, most of the items were covered in snow and totally invisible. The cursor would still show that an item was there, but things definitely buried. So I think that's another part of the realism - if you drop a feather and blizzard rolls through, you wouldn't expect that feather to still be lying on top of the snow when you went looking for it.

55 minutes ago, devamadhu said:

It's not a bug, and my understanding is this is an intentional improvement to the original gameplay. It's supposed to mimic how items would drop in real life you just flung them out of your pack.

I would still consider it a bug, because the same mechanics on occasion apply to Carcasses of animals (Id reccomend checking the Share screenshots menu for a couple of these). Lately, you can find carcasses that are partly buried in the ground, sometimes almost entirely, or see animals die and create a carcass that is just sticking out two legs and a behind from the ground. While it may have been considered as an improvement, these odd placements look nothing like you would realistically expect the items to land if thrown out. Although I expect they might fix that in the future. 

If this is an intended feature, I find it a bit odd this would only work on the snow surface and nowhere else. Can't say I had seen it work like that anywhere but on snow.

But its possible Hinterland said it was a feature, just never noticed where.

Well, at least the "buried" part of the items is definitely a bug, I can't expect it would be realistic for carcasses to die and be swallowed by the ground, sometimes almost entirely... it would make them unharvestable.

14 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I would still consider it a bug, because the same mechanics on occasion apply to Carcasses of animals (Id reccomend checking the Share screenshots menu for a couple of these). Lately, you can find carcasses that are partly buried in the ground, sometimes almost entirely, or see animals die and create a carcass that is just sticking out two legs and a behind from the ground. While it may have been considered as an improvement, these odd placements look nothing like you would realistically expect the items to land if thrown out. Although I expect they might fix that in the future. 

If this is an intended feature, I find it a bit odd this would only work on the snow surface and nowhere else. Can't say I had seen it work like that anywhere but on snow.

But its possible Hinterland said it was a feature, just never noticed where.

Well, at least the "buried" part of the items is definitely a bug, I can't expect it would be realistic for carcasses to die and be swallowed by the ground, sometimes almost entirely... it would make them unharvestable.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I do think the carcass part is a bug. A moose falling vertically in snow is probably not realistic 😂😂😂