What Happened to Broken Railroad?

Dan Lipscomb

I just walked through here for the first time since the update. Is it just me or did they remove a junk of explore-able area along the way in? This feels like a real funnel now. Oddly seemed like less wolves in that initial section, and literally a few more by the yard. I think I killed 5 on the way in there. 1 by the car at the road, 3 in the yard and 1 on the back fence. This was serious Quonset garage type stuff. Anyone else get the feeling that map shrunk? Any chance that they expanded somewhere else? Would love if this connected to a new zone or made Milton/HRV. This would make the weird trek here to the forge a worthwhile thing.

Yeah they definitely changed it. I'm no broken railroad expert, but it seems to me that they made it shorter but a bit wider, with an extra route past near the derailed train. When I went through there post update, it seemed a lot easier to avoid the wolves. And the route walking back seemed a lot quicker too. But like I said, it's not a region I have a lot of experience with.

I agree it looks a bit shorter, the new small train wreck takes the place of the old abandoned train and it's probably nearer to the road to the shed. I don't know what else was shortened by the rearrangement, maybe the "frozen river of first-day wolfy death" at the bottom of the valley. A climbable barrier may actually be a good defense line against wandering wolves.

Speaking of the wrecked train, Old Bear creeped the crawlies out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that there is no heavy hammer in the work shop on BRR?  I broke down all of the crates and boxes but I couldn't find one in there.  I think it might be a bug because there were two soda cans that had sunk into a barrel next to the forge.

I wanted to make arrow heads, and I die just about every time I step off the tracks of FM, so I was excited to use the nice new indoor forge near the hunting lodge.  I guess I'll take my chances at Spence's.

1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

I don't know if it's been modified or I'm just being ridiculous, but I just noticed the Landslide is not an impassable wall, just a one-way passage.

Unless they changed something in the patches since you can climb over it both ways

When I first played Wintermute and didn't know BR I went the long way. And then didn't find the fallen tree. Had to spend the night on the ice in a bedroll. Now I always simply go over it

On 1/16/2019 at 10:37 PM, MatoroTBS said:

I found a hammer directly next to the forge, on a shelf.

I have just spent a few days at the maintenance shed in BR and could not find any heavy hammer.  On reading your post I went back and checked and those shelves had no hammer.  I had another thorough search of the workshop and still couldn't find it. 

Not that the heavy hammer would do me much good, I haven't been able to find any coal either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, Kneecapitator said:

Has anyone else noticed that there is no heavy hammer in the work shop on BRR?  I broke down all of the crates and boxes but I couldn't find one in there.  I think it might be a bug because there were two soda cans that had sunk into a barrel next to the forge.

I wanted to make arrow heads, and I die just about every time I step off the tracks of FM, so I was excited to use the nice new indoor forge near the hunting lodge.  I guess I'll take my chances at Spence's.

That happened to me too, and then I found 3 hammers at Spence's. This was on Pilgrim, so I doubt that'll be the case for everyone.

Not sure if you're dying from thin ice or wolves in FM, but if it's the ice - there's a pretty straightforward route to Spence's if you start at the break in the railroad tracks. Lots of snowy patches to guide the way. :ph34r:

Archived