I love snares after this experiment

Thanks, @Vonwoah, for the research!  But I must confess that I upvoted for the entertaining gif! ;)

On 9/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, Vonwoah said:

After 5 days I haven't noticed a reduction yet. To be continued.

I'm looking forward to the results!

On 9/21/2018 at 5:55 PM, Vonwoah said:

Snow shelter protection from bear when harvesting rabbit

Ummm.. nope. See below.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:49 AM, Vonwoah said:

Curious as to why the bear turned away when using the snow shelter in the GIF above. Does anyone know if the game change and the wiki is outdated?

http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Snow_shelter

On 9/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, Vonwoah said:

Does anyone know if a snow shelter protects you from wild life? Wiki says different. Evidence that says otherwise.

cjlx6od.gif

Umm.. the snowshelter had nothing to do with it.. except hiding you from immediate sight of the bear, so that it was just ambling along, rather than charging you. If a bear comes across you sleeping in a snowshelter, and there isn't a fortuitously-placed fire blocking his path, he'll quite happily use you as a chew-toy once he reaches the shelter and discovers there's a tasty snack inside it.

16 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I guess if a bear is chasing you and you dive into a snow shelter the bear will just pull you out and abuse you as usual. But it makes you harder to detect. The bear in the gif is calmly approaching a bunch of interesting pieces of meat and it almost scorches itself on a fire, so it gets startled and runs away, still unaware of the survivor's presence. If a bear is charging you then hiding behind a campfire is useless (and I personally experienced it), but a calm bear won't walk into the flames just for the hell of it.

Agreed 100%. It was the fire that drove the bear away, and only because, being inside the shelter, he hadn't spotted you yet. If you'd been outside with the fire between you and him, he'd charge right over it to get to you.. but since he wasn't charging, the fire is enough to convince him to go another direction.

Edited by JAFO

20 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

The bear in the gif is calmly approaching a bunch of interesting pieces of meat and it almost scorches itself on a fire, so it gets startled and runs away, still unaware of the survivor's presence

You just made me laugh my ass off on lack of creature mechanics. You've filled it all in. Thank you! Haha! :D

• 1 month later...

I have ran a trap line on several play throughs in the past. My favorite trap set up is to place snares in the rabbit grove behind Trappers Cabin, the grove at the Bear cave near Trappers Cabin, and in the grove near the burned out building at Deadfall Area... 3 or 4 snares in each area. I would check them once or twice a day. I ultimately went away from this as I spent a good portion of my time harvesting and cooking the bounty. But I think I will have to try this again now that the cooking system has been revamped, I believe it will be much more efficient now.

• Upvote 1

I gave up snares after the stone hunting option came along. Not because I would consider snares useless... but because I figured out stone throwing was easier. 

I soon observed that if I used snares in the grooves with 5 rabbits, for each "caught" rabbit there in the 12 hours later, one would dissapear out of the area. So, whether I used the stones or snares, the amount of rabbits caught per groove was the same. Considering I could get all the rabbits into my backpack fairly easy with the use of stones, snares just kind of became obsolete.

But from what you are saying here, it would appear that snares can produce more rabbits per groove then stone throwing. If that is the case, I will likely return to using snares again.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Aurimas said:

Is this still true in current version of the game? Specifically interloper

i tested snares in voyageur recently, i wanted to see how they functioned and if i were to put out 100 snares would i get 'X' rabbits a day as a % of the total.  i got up to ~30 snares in one area before i got bored of processing them all. i noticed i would only get 5-6 per day checking them once a day. best i can tell, put about 10 in two places and you will get around 6-10 per day, specifically right behind trappers, then around the corner in that flat area by the bear