Make Mapping great again!

BareSkin

I can see some good "roleplay" reason why a map is attached to a survivor, no problem.

But it ends up in a mechanic that very few people use on harder mode, because hey, it costs a lot (time is warmth) for poor information.

I'd be glad if Mapping would be a background process like the Feats are working. OR maybe have one map per real player, for each mode. That would prevent Pilgrim maps to be used on Loper.

Or maybe keep the existing system but simply make it costs a lot less (near-instant) on harder modes ? For now, the price you pay on temperature bar for just a slice of un-editable map is a bummer to most.

14 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Are you saying you've had maps transfer from one save to another?

Yes why not but I guess that would technically not be easy, that would imply new code writing as to my knowledge the "feats" code is cross-survivors but not divided between the survival modes (not sure, never played anything else than interloper). I'm just basically complaining here that's there's a feature I just don't use and it's a bit sad. I still prefer no maps instead of being able to use Pilgrim ones in a loper run, though.

I do actually like the fact that I don't map often on the harder levels.  I'm not certain if in rl I would risk the time in the utter cold to map.  What I would really love is to be able to look at maps for regions other than where I'm at.  Use for planning and such.  It would potentially make the cold risk worth it.  Of course while I'm wishing, I'd love to be able to make a note on a map or even put your own marker.  Of course I also want a pony for Christmas.  Still waiting Mom and Dad!

16 hours ago, Jolan said:

What I would really love is to be able to look at maps for regions other than where I'm at.  Use for planning and such. 

Good point there.

IMO one of the hidden issues for mapping is that you can basically 'clean out' locations with no point in returning later. The issue hence is that rare and uncommon resources aren't renewable in some way and that all items of a locations are accessible at all times.*
If there were a number of locked locations per map that you can only access with keys and rare tools from other places then maybe there would be more sense in travel and hence pre-planning.
But as it stands you can just slowly and steadily use up the uncommon and rare resources on a map and never return, because in most cases there is just no reason to do so. As such mapping is not as useful as it could be - especially on Interloper, where recources are so scarce, that you can basically carry away everything in one go.

I think this however may change in the future, if we get more tools and a wider variety of items is available to us (or parts of certain locations are adjusted). Or - perhaps - if locations change slightly over time (like per 'erosion by the elements' that makes locations accessible).

*Also begs the question of why having mapping in the first place.. Or why can't you find incomplete maps..

Mapping has been on the wishlist of many, but I must say, it only takes one or two playthroughs for me to be able to recognise and orientate in the game world. Although I must say that recently I got lost in Pleasant Valley. (loved that good old feeling ;) )

I think mapping is basically nice as a last resort if you are reallly lost and you need the locator to tell you where you are more or less.

4 hours ago, Dawnshift said:

But as it stands you can just slowly and steadily use up the uncommon and rare resources on a map and never return,

I frequently leave the resources in place - for lots of reasons but mostly weight management.  I also move around the maps a fair bit, once I'm established.  I'll only collect the resource if I'm short or if I know I'll never be back to that particular region again (broken railroad is a good example of that).  Actually, I mostly just move around CH, ML and PV.  

19 hours ago, Jolan said:

What I would really love is to be able to look at maps for regions other than where I'm at.

You can look at maps for other regions.  When you bring up the map, in the upper right below where it says the region name, there are left/right arrows.  Click those to switch between other maps.  And of course there's the "world" button in the bottom right, if you need a reminder of how the regions are laid out.

On 9/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, ajb1978 said:

Err....I think you may be experiencing a bug.  I have never had a map transfer from one save to another.

Sorry for misunderstanding, I didn't experience such a thing. I actually stopped mapping a long time ago, just because of that.

23 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

You can look at maps for other regions.  When you bring up the map, in the upper right below where it says the region name, there are left/right arrows.  Click those to switch between other maps.  And of course there's the "world" button in the bottom right, if you need a reminder of how the regions are laid out.

d'oh!  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing Interloper games mostly since I've made the acquaintance with game mechanics. I find it more challenging and less boredom even though I haven't been able to cross the 50 days mark yet. I would love to use mapping if it wasn't that much demanding on resources. As a compromise between mapping in background and the current state of things I would enjoy if you for instance could map things you've seen the last 24 hours in a safety of a house.

Custom marks would also be helpful. On interloper I often leave things behind because of weight restrictions, or if I want to leave some supplies of sticks and water for the next time I visit this place, or if I'm leaving a hide or saplings behind. Sometimes I have pretty long breaks from the game (like more than 7 days), and after I come back I totally forget what is left where.

2 hours ago, Wormer said:

As a compromise between mapping in background and the current state of things I would enjoy if you for instance could map things you've seen the last 24 hours in a safety of a house.

Love this idea. Indoor mapping would be only around small named zones you've "triggered" during the day, and could take a lot of time, maybe 2h. It would reveal only very small map parts containing the names. The system can work parallel to the actual system which reveals large zones when you on-site.

2 hours ago, Wormer said:

Custom marks would also be helpful. On interloper I often leave things behind because of weight restrictions, or if I want to leave some supplies of sticks and water for the next time I visit this place, or if I'm leaving a hide or saplings behind. Sometimes I have pretty long breaks from the game (like more than 7 days), and after I come back I totally forget what is left where.

My tip is : write an off-game journal, and publish it for us B|

4 hours ago, Wormer said:

I'm playing Interloper games mostly since I've made the acquaintance with game mechanics. I find it more challenging and less boredom even though I haven't been able to cross the 50 days mark yet. I would love to use mapping if it wasn't that much demanding on resources. As a compromise between mapping in background and the current state of things I would enjoy if you for instance could map things you've seen the last 24 hours in a safety of a house.

Or make large scale and low detail maps like those in Wintermute. You remember where rivers and houses are, but if you want your map to show all rocks and mushroom patches you have to draw it on the spot. If you zoom in an area you haven't directly mapped it would be blurred and show no details.

Archived