Quit: progress lost (last N minutes)

NardoLoopa

I have limited knowledge of when it is that TLD save the game.  I believe it is at least on location transitions (into buildings) and sleeping.  But other than that, I'm not really sure.  When I have to log-out, I usually instigate one of these transitions, hit esc, and then choose Quit.

I always get prompted "Warning, your progress may be lost."  But I never know how much progress it is referring to.  The warning sounds ominous.  Is it the last 5seconds?  The 5minutes?

It would be really nice to have a more informative message, so I have an idea of what I might be losing.

Or maybe there is a better way to quit that I just don't know about.

You're losing until the last time it auto-saved. It displays an icon on the right and says saving when it is saving. If you just woke up, when you load your save it will be when you just woke up. If you just went inside when you load your save it will be when you just went inside. If you wake up, go outside kill a deer, skin it, and then quit, your load will be when you just woke up. Always watch for that auto save icon.

It also auto saves when you're getting mauled by a bear or dying. ;)

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, NardoLoopa said:

It would be really nice to have a more informative message, so I have an idea of what I might be losing.

Hi @NardoLoopa, it is easy to get the hang of this. Just look for the white hatchet icon at the right edge of the screen, (with the text "SAVING").

You will see it each time you:

• enter a building,
  • enter a cave with a loading screen
  • wake-up from sleeping,
  • complete passing-time,
  • complete passing-time while melting snow, (cooking),
  • when your survivor is attacked, injured, or gets food poisoning, (actual attack not just barked-at / actual affliction not just "risk of affliction").

It begins to make sense when you make it a habit to sleep to save a game, (and then pick-up your sleeping bag out of habit).
When you resume your game you are returned to the moment you woke from sleep, (and you will need to pick-up your sleeping bag again).

Knowledge of the auto-save system can be useful.
When you are ready to quit the game you can sleep an hour to trigger the save, (notice the hatchet icon to put your mind at ease).
Then, take a moment to look at your stats, enjoy reading your journal, and maybe even risk checking the temperature outside. 

By saving in this way you can enjoy thinking about what your next in-game objectives should be and enjoy thinking about the game while offline.

When you resume the game you will be looking at the bed/bedroll and any time you used while reading the journal or checking the weather will not be counted against your condition loss and calories burned. (Also, you will sleep better in RL if you verify your survivor's important chores are completed, and check the journal stats prior to quitting the game for the night).

Good luck my friends! :coffee:

To be a little more clear, the above all pertains to Survivor mode.  Story mode saves quite a bit differently.  Story mode does not auto-save upon entering a building, suffering an affliction, or surviving a wolf/bear struggle.  Story mode saves when you complete quest objectives (checkpoint saves), automatically every I think 10 minutes or so, or when you manually save the game.

39 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

To be a little more clear, the above all pertains to Survivor mode.  Story mode saves quite a bit differently.  Story mode does not auto-save upon entering a building, suffering an affliction, or surviving a wolf/bear struggle.  Story mode saves when you complete quest objectives (checkpoint saves), automatically every I think 10 minutes or so, or when you manually save the game.

Adding to this, there is manual save game saves, but also quicksave and quickload, F5 and F6.
For Wintermute specifically, I mean.

1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

The "you're screwed" autosaves are

Sprained wrist or ankle

Intestinal parasites

Food poisoning

Cracked rib

Bleeding

Infection

Not sure about:

Burns

Frostbite