Wow ...such a great game! Really! Few suggestions!

Frag2000

First of all, what a great game!

The Long Dark is the most immersive game I played in years. Period. The cartoonish presentation, the sense of isolation, the cold, the nature’s sound, the good balance … it just call me back to my computer every time I walk in front of it. I live in Quebec myself and I grew up in the Baie James territory (Northern Canada)  and I can tell you that Hinderland really hit the nail on the head with the mood of this game.

GREAT WORK HINDERLAND! You created a marvel. Finally a survival game that really is one, not another redundant zombie apocalypse thing.

So yes I do enjoy the game to a new limit and the perma-death of the survival mode makes it even more immersive. I am about 60 hours in the survival mode game so please be gentle if I ask for features that could be existing already. I am trying to stay away from youtube and the forums to not get any spoilers or tricks that could ruin the game for me. I just came here to drop suggestions and tell Hinderland about the good work they did.

Here is few simple things that I would like to see in the game and that should be easier to implement (I am a developer myself) while not breaking the game balance (as far as I know).

1.       More lantern fuel availability: crafted from animal fat.

The mood of a lantern light at night in a cabin is priceless. I would love to read my books, cook, craft and repair at night under the lantern light. Unfortunately, the lantern fuel is quite scarce and we cannot fully enjoy working at night in the cabins. An easy way to enjoy it more would be to drop animal fat when you harvest a deer, wolf, bear or moose. And from this fat, you could craft lantern fuel. For more I doubt it would break the game balance.

2.       Where are the candles?

Again, only for the mood, it would be nice to find candles and craft those. They would provide light for like 12 hours, but no heat. Again, this would be a mood thing only.

3.       Add Q/R keys to rotate objects you move in game.

I really like the simple mechanic of dropping objects and place those everywhere you like. You should add the rotate option on the Q/R keys to help us out placing those.

4.       Being able to move furniture around.

I would really like to be able to move furniture around, select those, and move those …exactly like we do with all the other objects. You should be able to take those as well (while dealing with the weight for sure), so if you decide to take a chair and move it in another cabin …why not? It would also be so nice to place the chair exactly where you want it. Just a bit of customization to our cabins :)

5.       Being able to craft chair, tables, shelves, wood box, chest, wall mounted shelves from reclaimed wood.

Later in the game, I would like to be able to set my cabin the way I like. It would be nice to be able to build some basic furniture and set those the way I want. We do not need to get crazy here, we do not need another minecraft. But some choice of basic furniture/decoration would be awesome and VERY immersive.

6.       Have a bear gun, like a .44 Magnum revolver.

For sure I do not want The Long Dark to become a guns fest, but a rusty old .44 Magnum that would weight 2 kg would be awesome. In Alaska and Yukon, many men walk the woods with those for bear protection. You could carry this one while on expedition and keep the riffle for pure hunting days. Again, the ammo must be scarce, but you guys know about that. Both the revolver and the riffle would have the same damage stats, but the riffle could shoot at longer distance.

7.       Have some collectibles

Would be fun to discover some collectibles. People would walk all over the maps to get the full collections. Some soapstone carving little statues, wood sculpted animals,  a series of books with short stories to read while warming up (I am pretty sure the community would provide those for free)… no special bonuses or anything. Just for the fun to collect and put those on our shelves. They could be hidden all over the world map.

8.       Add northern Canada/Alaska wild life

This one is a bigger request, but here are few animals that populate the northern region that would fit the mood.

Wolverines, foxes and bobcats: Those rare spawns would be small, not aggressive to the player but would defend themselves if attacked. They would be a big competitor in the rabbit hunting scene, sometime driving the player nuts while stealing their rabbits caught in snares. They could also be used for clothes crafting. Implementing traps for those would also be so nice.

Great game guys. Keep up the good work.

9 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

By which not photo-realistic is meant.

I love the singular artistic style of The Long Dark too.

Exactly what I meant ... they walked away from the common realistic looking landscape, and it is quite original. LOVE this.

4 hours ago, Frag2000 said:

1.       More lantern fuel availability: crafted from animal fat.

The mood of a lantern light at night in a cabin is priceless. I would love to read my books, cook, craft and repair at night under the lantern light. Unfortunately, the lantern fuel is quite scarce and we cannot fully enjoy working at night in the cabins. An easy way to enjoy it more would be to drop animal fat when you harvest a deer, wolf, bear or moose. And from this fat, you could craft lantern fuel. For more I doubt it would break the game balance.

Try some fishing.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:55 PM, RossBondReturns said:

By which not photo-realistic is meant.

I love the singular artistic style of The Long Dark too.

I believe the word we're looking for is "Painterly" :coffee:

I appreciate its art style greatly as well.  Ill never be unimpressed by the sunsets or aurora. In fact, every part of the day and weather has its own unique beauty. If you notice, each map has a certain unique feel to it as well; for example, some may be more industrual and derilect, others might be quite untamed.

The Long Dark's painterly style also (coincedentally or not) makes the game feel less "digital" with its (watercolor?) textures putting us into a world lacking electronics.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:39 AM, MarrowStone said:

I believe the word we're looking for is "Painterly" :coffee:

I appreciate its art style greatly as well.  Ill never be unimpressed by the sunsets or aurora. In fact, every part of the day and weather has its own unique beauty. If you notice, each map has a certain unique feel to it as well; for example, some may be more industrual and derilect, others might be quite untamed.

The Long Dark's painterly style also (coincedentally or not) makes the game feel less "digital" with its (watercolor?) textures putting us into a world lacking electronics.

"Painterly" would exactly represent I was trying to say. I could not have said it better :)

Archived