Some ideas that will nerf houses

exeexe

After using a house for 10 days it needs to be ventilated to get all the moist out of the air. The humidity comes from our breath, anyway if ventilation doesnt happen mold will begin to deteriorate our clothes. It will take 10 hours to ventilate a house upon which all heat will be lost, so it will take 24 hours of using the house to heat it up again. If there is a fireplace 4 hours of fire can heat up the house. When you stay inside a house to slowly heat it up with your body heat again you do not contribute to cabin fever for that particular house. Right after the ventilation has been completed the inside temperature will be the same as outside temperature. So it might be a good idea to wait heating up the house for a warm day.

However for houses with a fireplace there is a risk that the chimney can clog so if this happens it has to be de clogged before the house can be used again. If you have levels in mending this will be easier. When there is smoke in a house due to clogging the house needs to be desmoked. This is also something that will take 10 hours and all heat will be lost. There is a chance that your lungs will suffer from inhaling the smoke, so if you get this condition for the next 3 days there will be no stamina. However fighting wolves in melee mode is only reduced by 25%.

In Interlopper houses with chimneys can have no heat and needs to be heated up before they can be used.

1 hour ago, Fuarian said:

How about we take it slowly and start with making shelters cold on the inside and require a constant fire to keep them warm? 

I don't think it's a simple as that.

What about the shelters that don't have a fireplace inside? The only way to warm up in them would be to get into bed, perhaps, and this is already the case sometimes at the beginning of an Interloper game. But it's a fine margin of temperature level and is overcome when you improve your clothing a little bit. Herein lies the problem: clothing negatges low indoor temperatures over time, making the game easier as you progress - and it doesn't take very long to acquire the clothing needed so that you can ignore it as a factor completely.

The only way to 'nerf' shelters is to have some way for indoor temps to degrade over time - so that they serve a useful purpose in the early game, but don't become overpowered as you become established. (Either that, or completely redesign the way temperature affects the character.)

I quite like the idea of mould spores, which activate in a warmer environment (ie. when someone is living in the building), and cause problems if the place is left unventilated. Faster degradation of clothes (and food) would seem a sensible way to do this, but there could also be a damaging character-health condition to do with respiratory problems to go with it. But I have always thought that just a general deterioration of the building's condition, causing temperatures to equalise with the outside, would be an effective way to achieve the same general goal.

Basic premise is there's been a "super" aurora that wiped out all technology. The details will presumably be revealed through the story mode. For instance, technology getting wiped out is experienced by the player through the plane crash in episode 1. 

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Basic premise is there's been a "super" aurora that wiped out all technology. The details will presumably be revealed through the story mode. For instance, technology getting wiped out is experienced by the player through the plane crash in episode 1. 

How would you explain the decaying of interior temps, though? I guess they could be a %age higher than outdoor ones, rather than a constant (reflecting poor insulation)?

18 hours ago, Fuarian said:

How about we take it slowly and start with making shelters cold on the inside and require a constant fire to keep them warm? 

With dynamic interior temperatures, I'd also like to be able to restart the central heating of some houses. Some have a oil/fuel heating (don't know what's the word in english) with a tank beside the house. Once restarted (tools and repair needed ?), that could provide good heating for a limited time. Many don't need electricity to work, so they shouldn't be affected by electromagnetic events and auroras. That would be ideal for game starting. And maybe make this a deactivable option.

Modern oil heaters won't run without electricity though. And everything electrical is busted in the game world.

I dunno about the whole dynamic indoor temeperature thing, sure it would be realistic, a building without heating isn't going to stay warm when it's perpetually -20C or whatever outside. On the other hand it's really difficult for me to see how I could get frostbite and freeze to death in a bed that's in a cabin, wearing clothes and under blankets or in a sleeping bag (I've slept in unheated cabins and tents in wintertime; did not die). For gameplay, I think the current system is pretty good.

10 hours ago, StrayCat said:

With dynamic interior temperatures, I'd also like to be able to restart the central heating of some houses. Some have a oil/fuel heating (don't know what's the word in english) with a tank beside the house. Once restarted (tools and repair needed ?), that could provide good heating for a limited time. Many don't need electricity to work, so they shouldn't be affected by electromagnetic events and auroras. That would be ideal for game starting. And maybe make this a deactivable option.

Like @kurja mentioned, most have electrical controls and would stop working post aurora. Certain heaters may be able to work if they have manual controls and an accessible pilot light. It would depend on the make and model of the furnace. Regardless, the heating wouldn't be super great as the blower (the fan that moves the air in a central heating system) requires electricity to run. You'd warm the house but it'd be very inconsistent heat (i.e. some rooms would still be freezing cold). 

@Pillock yeah, something like that. The insulation is probably fine for most of the buildings (the ones meant for winter habitation) but a lot (e.g. the lakeside cabins) are probably uninsulated since they're for summer use. I'd just like to see a system that means it takes more effort to heat a shelter than picking up a dozen sticks in a few minutes and having a roaring fire. The basic idea is from a really old post.

Note: I love this game no hate but I can see some downsides

I think the biggest problem with the game as a whole is that it actually gets easier to survives as you go on   even with things like "world gets colder over time" and in general the game needs more features to keep you going at day 300 without you having to give yourself disadvantages on purpose and i think we need to get this to Hinterland's attention because I just find myself quitting a world after it gets too easy - anyone else?

Archived