Bear health reset after mauling?

KinoUnko

Anyone else noticed this? For kicks I decided to keep shooting the bear and see how many shots it took. I managed 3 hits, at least 2 in head/torso area before it got close enough to thrash me. Afterwards the bear left no blood trail, and appears to be able to take at least 2 more rounds, if not more. I didn't survive long enough to find out. At rifle skill 4, 4~5 shots to the head/torso seems quite a lot, even for a bear, no? is this similar to animals healing if you duck indoors right after a hit?

possibly. Still seems like quite a lot considering more than half the hits were under 50m. I Alt-F4ed during the 2nd thrashing and next try the bear just dropped from one shot, not sure if it's just due to normal damage or a critical hit. Didn't notice any blood trail going up to it. 

The head has a lot of overlapping skins on it, that move around a lot when it runs.  When hit on one of these skins the animal does not take a wound and does not drop blood.  But there is still a blood spray and a hit credit.  So you could have hit skins 3 times in a row.  That would be unlucky but not impossible.

All bears die when shot ten times.  Skin shots don't count.  Some die earlier because of randomly assigned "critical" hits.  Or die because they got shot in the head 3 times.  I seem to recall repeating a test shooting a bear in the head twice then shooting it in the back a further 8 times before killing it suggesting no damage multiplier for head shots, just a special counter.  But it has been a while since I did that...

I've shot all the bears who mauled me and while I couldn't find the carcass of two after they wandered off, my stats show that I have a 1:1 ratio of bear mauling to bear kills.  @selfless your observation makes sense and explains the somewhat confusing experience I've had with a couple of bears.  Most recently, I landed what I thought was a clean (and fatal) head shot on a bear approaching me but Ursa just shrugged it off and proceeded to chew me ferociously.  Fortunately, he had the common decency to wander up to the fishing hut on Crystal lake and expire.

In future I will be sniping from far, far away.

Yes, I'm finding that while the "up close and personal" frontal attack on Bears can yield a nice one-shot kill it can also fail rather spectacularly.  One of my recent TWM maulings destroyed my bedroll and required a trek back to the PV Farmstead to retrieve my spare.  Tedious.  Very tedious.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I'm guessing by "skins" you mean textures?

I don't know what I mean.  Whatever structure it is that gets "grazed" instead of hit, there's a bunch on the head of bears.  I think it's the ears that cause it.  Hinterland's models are pretty screwy...

I'm playing on pilgrim and decided to try hunt bears after getting good at shooting dear. so I shot one in the butt while it was walking away from me and it had a blood splatter and then ran from me. so I figured that the aggressive mode did not apply to my weakass pilgrim mode. so I followed it. no blood trail but it seemed hurt. after awhile it turned around and came walking towards me so I crouched and took aim at its head. FIRE! BLOOD! CHARGE! it smashed me to the ground and hurt me really bad! 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎14 at 7:49 PM, JAFO said:

That rather limits things for you.. why not try climbing trees as well?

Normally (since I don't play on Interloper) food is not a problem so I don't bother hunting them. If I'm by a car and see one though (or on a cliff, tree branch, etc.) that I can shoot with no repercussions I'll do so. 

Archived