Moose and their Balance

The_Materialist

Hi there,

Since the recent dev diary we all know the moose is comming and it is comming soon. I have estimated the moose meat count based on the average animal weight IRL and their ingame meat count. For example a black bear is on average 110 kg and gives on average 30 kg of meat. The real life body weight to meat count ratio seems to be between 3-4. So if a moose IRL weights 200-700 kg depending on age and gender, then a moose will have between 50-230 kg of meat in game. Now there is always the possibility of makeing it less so a moose could also have only 20 kg of meat on average. But assuming their weight correlates with their real life counter parts the moose will be the heaviest animal with the most amount of meat in the game. On top of that moose are herbivores which means no parasites from their meat. With the current game mechanic of one hit one kill after bleed out this means that a moose will not be more difficult to kill then a bear. And now how does one balance this? They either need to be extremly lethal or otherwise extremely rare. What do you think would be a realistic meat could for them in game? My best guess is 50 kg on average + 10 guts and 1 magical moose hide.

They should be rare. I would also like to see a more diverse damage modelling. Different kinds of arrows and bows depending on the quality of wood, level of skill etc. We could have different arrow heads - light ones for shooting further at smaller animals. And heavier ones for heavier bows and bigger prey. For a moose, you would need the heaviest kind.

I bet moose would have super long bleed out times. You'd either have to spend multiple shots, or risk it running very far from where you want and have to risk long distance travel to transport the harvest.

on the other hand they could just be different looking bear. a big pile of moose meat, a moose coat and/or sleeping roll isn't really meaningful addition to the game.

For starters bull moose should be aggressive and charge in your direction :) You could have a Moose call for a craft item requiring birch bark. They should be as tough as a bear to kill and good meat yield. Not sure craft items but perhaps similar to deer. 

Hinterland has always made a point of not having additions that are simply gratuitous.  So the moose will likely be unique in both its interaction and in what might be crafted from its parts.

My speculations:

- It will be aggressive/ lethal

- Hard to kill

- 100 kg meat

- The hide will be strong for making clothing with a high armour stat/ lower warmth stat then bear or wolf.

- it might fight with the wolves and kill some of them leaving scavenging possibilities.

I would like to see moose antler incorporated into the crafting menu as well.  Moose antler, unlike deer, is solid all the way through and good for carving.  Deer antler is pithy in the centre. 

Moose are wily. For such large animals they can move very stealthily through the undergrowth. They also have excellent senses. For most of the year, the only way to hunt them is to surprise them as they will move away if they sense your presence. When moose are added I'd prefer that they reflect these qualities as opposed to some "aurora" induced mania or aggressiveness. Sure, moose can charge you but they're much more likely to run away especially if it's not the rut (for bulls) or if there are no calves around (for cows).    

maybe instead of the snow shelter yo could upgrade it so the cover could be moose hide meaning it could be warmer or maybe wearing the hide of the animal could maybe scare off animals (the bear coat or wolf coat)  or making getting close to deer easier( the deer boot or rabbit boot) anyway thats just a thought but can't wait till they add the moose :)

Archived