Four Days of Night Event Returns! (Steam Only)

Admin

Four Days of Night is back this Halloween! Join us for some lighthearted fun in The Long Dark's Survival Mode. This is a Steam-only event.

Four Days of Night starts Friday, October 27th at 11 pm PST, and ends Tuesday, October 31st, at  11 pm PST.

In Four Days of Night, you'll experience:

* Perpetual darkness -- the sun will not rise

* Light sources (ex. Lanterns) last twice as long as usual

* "Demon" wolves

* Strategically located Pumpkin Pies with Warming and Wildlife Deterrent capabilities!

* High-calorie value snacks in Candy Bowls

* Jack-O-Lanterns that mark the location of rare Loot

Participation is completely optional - after the event begins, right click on The Long Dark in your Steam library, go to Properties>Betas and enter the following code to gain access to a special branch of the game: FourDaysofNight

Note: The Aurora is disabled during Four Days of Night. We also recommend starting a new Survival Mode game save during the event - progress you make won't carry back over to the regular, main branch of the The Long Dark after Halloween.

Good luck, and we hope you enjoy it!

- The Hinterland Team

• Upvote 7

17 minutes ago, Ape88 said:

Wasn't this on both steam and xbox last year? Why only on Steam this year? I feel like console players aren't really a priority. And, last year I seem to recall being able to continue playing past the event without issue... :(

Unfortunately, we can't currently run different branches of the game on consoles and we wanted to make sure the event was opt-in. We hope to run other "live" events across all platforms in the future though. 

• Upvote 2

:( I see.. Well maybe there should be a separate mode only accessible during these opt in events on console and pc. I honestly didn't mind not being able to choose to participate during last year's event though... It was fun and different and got me thinking about traveling in the night more often.

On 10/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, Ape88 said:

:( I see.. Well maybe there should be a separate mode only accessible during these opt in events on console and pc. I honestly didn't mind not being able to choose to participate during last year's event though... It was fun and different and got me thinking about traveling in the night more often.

I believe I recall reading that they didn't want to mess with the live code because they didn't want something to accidentally delay the December patch; a tradeoff I'm happy to make.

3 hours ago, SweetNightmare said:

I believe I recall reading that they didn't want to mess with the live code because they didn't want something to accidentally delay the December patch; a tradeoff I'm happy to make.

I had asked where you read that but while poking around in areas of the forum I normally don't follow, I discovered the dev diary you read that in. I'll just hope for maybe some bones thrown our way soon with bated breath.

Edited by Ape88

playing 4don, it's gone back to the dark interiors? where you cant see anything without lighting a torch or lantern?

I found some pie, lanterns and treats which might keep me exploring a bit more. Getting a bit tedious though.

Edited by nicko

Thank you for making the participation optional :) I like it so far. I found a rifle, inuit boots, very good jackets, supplies, some rounds and a knife. What i didn't find is a lantern:(

I don't like my starting map. I choosed random and got the hall where you have to repair the rifle in story mode -.- I escaped 2 wolfes and distressed one with a torch. After that i sprinted randomly through the wilderness (i don't know the map very well and it's dark too). What normaly kills you in the long dark, led me to the fence that leeds to the hunter's lodge, lol! I avoided a wolf and made it into the lodge :)

My first try was also with a random map. I found myself in forlorn muskeg. After a few steps i bumped into a wolf. Dead within 3 minutes, i think that's a new record :D

//And HOLY COW! When did you bring books for archery and sewing into the game? FINALLY, thank you very much for that :x

Edited by Karl Grylls