thermos

Reisetom

34 minutes ago, Riotintheair said:

I always pretend my coffee and prepared drinks are carried in thermoses but I wouldn't mind not having to pretend! Good idea.

I always look at those mugs and wonder how the liquid stays inside in the backpack.  The aurora must have messed with fluid dynamics too...

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Thank you! I'd always wondered why I was able to drink boiling water.. now I get it!

I mean you don't get the "warming up" bonus when drinking water after boiling. So this means to me the water cools instantly.. But If you assume this is a real thing the heat capacity of water would have to be changed by the cataclismic event (where it would be infinitesimaly small).. Which would also make water instantly boil.. but whatever. I am fine with the mechanic. It would be cool to drink hot water to warm up though..

Wow lots of ideas in this thread. Reminds me of when I first started playing and thought I had to find a pot to boil water in... Which is definitely something I think should be necessary but perhaps abundant in all the places that have actual fire stoves. However I have never seen nor heard of a glass thermos. The only ones we have around here are usually made of metal or plastic or a combination thereof.

older thermos flask was made of double layered glass, possibly vaccuated, generally with some kind of reflective coating as well. the bladder is enclosed in sheet metal shell. All steel or plastic thermos didn't really become wide spread till after the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats wrong with these conversations? Considering its a survival game that tries to be more realistic than others, it's important to talk about how stuff realistically functions in the game. As long as the "fun value" isn't lost to realism, why should anyone be bothered by it?

Thermoses and warm food containers is something i have wanted in game for a very long time (pre-CH long time).

Alright, from what I've read I think that there should be two types of thermos the one that KinoUnko mentioned an old large double layered glass thermos and then we should have a normal modern thermos.

So, the old glass thermos could let's say keep the heat just as long as the modern one but it's heavier and might hold less (idk 0.25 less) while the modern might hold 0.75L and is lighter but is a lot harder to find.

This kinda reminds me of ark, you can have a glass jar or a leather bag to hold water but the leather bag leaks over time while the glass jar holds all the water forever but the tradeoff is that the glass jar is really heavy (and carries a little more water I think) and it's almost the same tradeoff here but reverse. (I'm in school right now on a short break so this was a little rushed)

The two different equally good types of thermos is a nice idea, but should that apply to an insulated food container as well? The older style container only being able to hold one can of food and heavier, whereas the newer style can hold two of the same kind and is lighter?

On a slightly different note, i think they should do a big food update like they did with clothing and other systems. The thermos could be included in that.

I have a few Thermos brand bottles handy...

1 L capacity:

stainless steel - 800 g

plastic body / glass jar - 620 g

0.5 L capacity:

wide mouth plastic - 560 g

plastic body / glass jar - 450 g

...maybe start off with one. It could be something ditched fairly quickly because of the weight unless a container is made mandatory to transport drinks, but may appear useful enough early on to be a bit of a dilemma.

Archived