Playing the game a little differently...

Stormwolf1O1

After hundreds of sandbox runs on all four difficulties, I've decided to give in to an urge that's long been in the back of my mind.

I downloaded a mod to enable Unlimited Carrying Capacity and God Mode, so I may go around and "Skyrim" my way through the world, collecting every single stick and stone to the best of my ability, (given the fact that some things respawn after a period of time) without needing to worry about my health status at all.

I will go through each region (on Interloper difficulty, I might add), doing this until I'm satisfied that I've harvested every resource and picked up every item.

Aside from having the opportunity to learn the possible spawn locations of certain objects on Interloper, this more casual form of playing the game will satisfy my OCD for picking everything up. I do mean every single stone.

As far as what I'll do after I've been through every region and done this, I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking about perhaps choosing an ideal place to live, then disabling God Mode to see how long my abundance of food and resources will allow me to survive without going outdoors.

I spawned in Forlorn Muskeg and did a bit of this routine there, but did not complete it yet. I've moved onto Mystery Lake and am a good way through the process already.

If you have any questions, suggestions or criticisms, feel free to leave a comment!

Note: In no way do I encourage cheating or exploitation of The Long Dark. This casual run of the game is simply for my own pleasure, and the post is so others can read about how it's going. :fire:

Screenshot_7.thumb.png.e49cd190da3adb71c89a266892ed383f.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds amazing! As someone who is still playing Fallout 3 where I insist on taking EVERY pick-up-able object (including the junk I fire from the Rock-It Launcher), I approve entirely.

Sir or Madam, I doff my cap to you. May your pockets be full and your pack never encumbered.

Also, please share how much your pack weighs at the end of this adventure. :)

2 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

This sounds amazing! As someone who is still playing Fallout 3 where I insist on taking EVERY pick-up-able object (including the junk I fire from the Rock-It Launcher), I approve entirely.

Sir or Madam, I doff my cap to you. May your pockets be full and your pack never encumbered.

Also, please share how much your pack weighs at the end of this adventure. :)

How about just after Mystery Lake alone (to begin with)? ;)

Screenshot_14.png.b6e6beb1a61bc73444ee91d00a644e01.png

Most of it's from Sticks and Reclaimed Wood

3 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

How about just after Mystery Lake alone (to begin with)? ;)

Screenshot_14.png.b6e6beb1a61bc73444ee91d00a644e01.png

Most of it's from Sticks and Reclaimed Wood

Haha, brilliant! Be sure to kill and harvest every deer, wolf, bear, and rabbit, too! But wait, how will you possibly collect all the fish? I think they're infinite...

34 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

Haha, brilliant! Be sure to kill and harvest every deer, wolf, bear, and rabbit, too! But wait, how will you possibly collect all the fish? I think they're infinite...

They're indeed infinite, not worrying about fish. And since I'm playing on Interloper I have to go and forge my own knife and hatchet before I can harvest all the wolves, and make a bow or two to hunt the bears and deer.

The rabbits are super easy in comparison!

Screenshot_15.thumb.png.4d4fda721e514823a05f208c1574cf68.png

There's more rabbits in ML than you'd think!

Edit: So it came out to 24 rabbits total. At about 563 calories each, give or take, the total number of calories is 13,512. That's nearly 5 and a half full stomachs.

And people say rabbits aren't worth the effort!

Screenshot_18.thumb.png.6fd6993840a1d56ee5c433c38962ea04.png

They're not kidding when they say food is rare loot on Interloper.

Here's all the processed food I found in ML:

Screenshot_17.thumb.png.c058a8c4723cc932ad89974fa1725331.png

(4) Summit Sodas

(2) Granola Bars

(3) Chocolate Bars

(2) Boxes of Herbal Tea

(1) Can of Tomato Soup

(2) Cans of Pinnacle Peaches

(1) Can of Pork and Beans

(2) Bags of Beef Jerky

That's only 4,850 calories total (not counting the tea). That's not even enough for two full stomachs, at 2,500 cal each. The rest of your food from that point must be found in nature.

2 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

How about the clothing you've found?

Interloper is a learning experience! No need to have to gather your nerves beforehand. Just jump right in and learn by trial and error, just like any other difficulty.

Clothing has been very rare in ML. I've found one baseball cap, one wool toque, one wool scarf, two pairs of running shoes, one plaid shirt, one t-shirt, one pair of work gloves, and one pair of driving gloves.

Unfortunately, this means I've been running around without socks nor pants this whole time. Thank God for God Mode!

Screenshot_20.thumb.png.23a1f4d31c0c2a58de495fc7631f0f32.png

I found a total of 165 cat tails.

I'm not about to throw them all onto the ground and carefully organize them nicely onto the table like I did with the other food items, so here's just one.

Screenshot_21.thumb.png.bc69c73e04fabb5a5e6dec843dad0e12.png

At 150 calories each, that's an amazing 24, 750 calories, or nearly 10 full stomachs!!

Crazy how much of a difference it can make to gather a few of them here and there as you go.

Bahaha, I didn't put together the lack of pants until you posted the picture of poor Will's clothes. Truly, is there a worse place for a man to get frostbite?

And running shoes are the bane of my existence. Seems like those are the only shoes I ever find, but boy do I find a lot of them. Glad to see that happens to others, too!

Literature has been a bit more common than I expected.

Without counting regular, non-readable books, I collected a total of eight skill books...

Screenshot_22.thumb.png.dc5064b2c07794d40e9a3f71e92caf00.png

(3) copies of Wilderness Kitchen [cooking]

(2) copies of Stay on Target [archery]

(1) copy of Sewing Primer [mending]

(1) copy of Frontier Shooting Guide [shooting]

(1) copy of The Frozen Angler [fishing]

So it would appear that cooking skill books are the most prevalent, at least in ML.

Just now, WanderingPalm said:

Bahaha, I didn't put together the lack of pants until you posted the picture of poor Will's clothes. Truly, is there a worse place for a man to get frostbite?

And running shoes are the bane of my existence. Seems like those are the only shoes I ever find, but boy do I find a lot of them. Glad to see that happens to others, too!

I decided to harvest the second pair I found. And rest assured, the current pair will meet the same fate as soon as I find something better!

I found a pretty decent assortment of useful supplies on this run.

Screenshot_24.thumb.png.e5bda0a90e1bc35da77d85bb3210bf85.png

(2) Bedrolls

(3) Whetstones

(3) Flares

(3) Hooks

(1) Firestarter

(2) Prybars

(1) Magnifying Lens

(1) Heavy Hammer

(1) Hacksaw

(2) sets of Simple Tools

(6) Sewing Kits (geez...)

(2) Mountaineering Ropes (yes, I took the one from the upper Dam lol)

Oh, and the Lantern, duh.

Medical supplies. Pretty sparse, but that's to be expected on Interloper.

Screenshot_27.thumb.png.02afe6921da8d6905d2a5183c1f0f253.png

(6) Antibiotics

(6) Painkillers

(24) Cups of Reishi Mushroom tea

(9) Cups of Rose Hip tea

(4) Water Purification Tablets

(2) Bandages

(10) Old Man's Beard Wound Dressings

No bottles of antiseptic! It's so important keep some nature in your pocket to help yourself when modern medicine won't.

2 hours ago, Cray said:

How are you able to stack items on the table like that? Didn't know that was possible. Is that part of the mod?

Yes, the mod adds item physics and allows you to rotate and stack items however you please! I have a lot of fun with it, as you can see.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Yes, the mod adds item physics and allows you to rotate and stack items however you please! I have a lot of fun with it, as you can see.

I was about to ask the same question.....quite the MOD. Wish they would just let US do that....

Also were all those tools from just ML?! Or several maps? It has to be several.....you found TWO bedrolls!

4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I was about to ask the same question.....quite the MOD. Wish they would just let US do that....

Also were all those tools from just ML?! Or several maps? It has to be several.....you found TWO bedrolls!

Both bedrolls were from ML! One from the Camp Office, the other from the Ice Fishing Hut farthest from the Camp Office, around the bear cave. Quite the find!

Yes, everything shown was indeed found in ML alone. The hacksaw was found at Trapper's, the heavy hammer was found in the Dam lower level.

It's a beautiful night at Mystery Lake.

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.c8abd3883a7855e2f6209b0796e8445d.png

Since the last update, I've crafted deerskin boots and two pairs of deerskin pants, and rabbit mittens. Also forged an improvised knife and hatchet to allow me to harvest more things. Made a bow and arrows as well, and am currently working on hunting all wildlife in ML before moving on back to FM.

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

Geeze, cant believe all this is in Interloper! If you were in pilgrim, youd be clicking and clicking and clicking....

Really wish we could stack items like that in the current state of the game

You can! (With the mod) ;)

And believe me, even on Interloper I've been clicking nonstop basically. And lots of traveling. Thank god for fly mode..

Archived