Question about Wintermute

jason12345678910

Don't even get me started Patrick!

I could make a 40 page list telling you what I love about the recent update.

The one thing I really really want to see is the aurora borealis. I have started a new Sandbox game in Mystery Lake, and I am heading to the new lookout tower to set up base and keep an eye on the night sky.

Thanks.

My apologies if this has been answered somewhere:  I'm at the stage where my journal asks me to explore the crash site, which I did; to explore areas around, which I did, but my cold factor was in the red, so I climbed the hill, found a cave, warmed up, used a lot of wood, but cannot sleep the night. When can I sleep?

Next question: Is the sandbox still available? I've been playing this for a year. Are all my saved actions gone for this?

I am about in the same boat as you....I think it's day 5. I explored too long, chopped up the second deer, caught four bunnies. Took a torch from the fire when I harvested the second deer, and used it to light a torch I found in the cave. I made it through the cave found a couple pieces of coal and a few more goodies....but now it's night....I have guts, hide, cooked meat, and four fresh bunnies. 

From other people's reports I know there is a wolf coming up soon...and I reek so I know it will be coming straight for me, but it's night and I would like to sleep magically like I did the last 3 or 4 times I slept without a bed or a bedroll. I guess that is not possible because the other times we slept it was tutorial magic....

Time to watch a Wintermute YouTube video I guess to see how far and in what direction the next bed is...

Yeah, I find it frustrating, because in the sandbox, I maintained my heat longer, but fatigue came quicker, and because I always had a bedroll, I could regulate things. I have no bedroll now, and for some reason I'm unusually awake. There's no way to move on. Where's the trigger point and why is there one? Can't they add gathering fir bows to makeshift a bed?

Unless someone gets to you first, I'll give you a heads up when I find out what's next. 

Dinner happened IRL, and the dude I am watching play on YouTube has a 5+ hour stream of what he played, but he had never played The Long Dark before, so needless to say he has already died three times before even making it over the first cliff...

It is pretty hard to watch, I have been screaming at my phone for the last 45 minutes....much to the confusion of my girlfriend....

Ok @Dougie, spoilers...if you are intrested.

I went through the cave...before you go too far check out the dead end on the right side....I got a sewing kit and a couple other goodies.

When I got out of the cave it was night, but I have my brightness turned up higher than normal so I saw a wolf dead ahead eating another deer.

I entered the cave again to save my game.

I reloaded my game until I succeeded in scaring the wolf with my torch. 

I then used my torch to light a fire and harvested the meat off the deer, the fire kept the wolf away....as it does...

I cooked the meat and ate and drank. I added more sticks and a piece of coal I found in the cave (I found two coal). I harvested the rest because I am greedy. I grabbed a couple torches from the fire, and I went back to the cave to save my game again in case the wolf got me, so I didn't have to throw my torch and harvest all over again. (I actually did do that the first time....so I saved my game to not have it happen a second time, lol)

When I came out of the cave it looked like the wolf tried to reset to the deer, but my fire was there so he freaked again.

I ran past him...you have to go to the right after the cave and then straight. Eventually you come to a road and the game saves. I checked out right in the dark, it appears to be a dead end. If you discover any goodies to the right let me know. 

You quickly locate a car if you go left on the road. When I opened the door to go inside, the sound of the door alerted a second wolf up the street in the direction you went to get to the car. 

As you may or may not know, you CAN sleep in cars without a bedroll by using the radial menu, then campfire, then bedroll. I slept for an hour to save my game. Unfortunately it was -6 outside as it was deep into the middle of the night at this point. Cars only give you a +3 warmth bonus...so it was a net of -3°C while I slept. When I woke up it was now -7°C. I slept to save my game so I could try repairing some of my clothes, and reload if I failed so I wouldn't lose any precious cloth. (7 pieces)

After fixing the Fleece Mittens I found on the dead guy, my hat, and my pants....my three worst items, my chill meter was tanked and I was too cold. The second wolf seemed to vanish while I slept....

I got out and lit a fire by the front door, and added an hour and a half to the fire. I took this time to harvest the meat from the 4 dead rabbits I had. I cooked the meat and added 4 hours worth of sticks, reclaimed wood, and my other piece of coal. I still have about 15 sticks and 5 pieces of cedar that I am saving. It was about daybreak and I slept for the 4 hours after drinking and eating a little.

The glove box had a soda, and the trunk was empty.

I scouted ahead a little in the middle of the night after my first save in the car, out of curiosity of where the second wolf went. I didn't go very far, but I never found him. Up ahead was about six more cars and trucks on a bridge that I want to search after writing this. After the bridge it looks like you need to go across some downed trees to get over a river and waterfall.

I hope the town of Milton is close....I don't like wolves and sleeping in cars....

5 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Thanks Thrasador. Sometimes I just need the hint, but they're very vague on what is expected. It's quite different from the sandbox.

Did that assist you in any way, or was I faaar too late and you went past that part, lol?

If so feel free to write me a spoiler here, or PM me about anything I may have missed, or what I could have done better, or what's after the bridge with cars on it.....if you are ahead of me now, lol....

I think the main question we both had is where/how do we sleep next?

Short answer: Car I think...

8 hours ago, Thrasador said:

it's night and I would like to sleep magically like I did the last 3 or 4 times I slept without a bed or a bedroll. I guess that is not possible because the other times we slept it was tutorial magic....

Time to watch a Wintermute YouTube video I guess to see how far and in what direction the next bed is...

The first patch was released just 3 hours ago.. in the notes it mentions that

a bedroll has been added to the cave.

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

I'm around the same spot before I packed it in last night checked all the cars on the bridge then headed down the road. My overall condition is sub par does the game start all over if you get wolfed and die?

I got to the first car on the road with only 8% condition left.. built a 10 hour fire on top of the hood, and slept the night in the car, an hour or two at a time, as it snowed gently all night.

If you die, you get to choose between starting at the last checkpoint, or starting again.

Wait @JAFO, maybe I don't  HAVE to start over....is there another bedroll later like in town that I can find after the cave?

Also, where is the first prybar, so I can go back and open those car trunks....you know that will drive me banana sandwhich till I open all those trunks...

I totally never mind spoilers....it's everyone else who loses their damn minds if you don't hide spoiler text....

Ok...so I went up the road, after the bridge I came to a downed tree in the road then one more car...

Then I found a shallow cave to the left side of the road. I didn't get to explore the right side due to a wolf attacking bunnies.

Then I found like a lake with a bunch of cattails, some rose hips and a dead deer....the wolf was following me, but he found a bunny and I ran...

It was snowing pretty bad and up on a hill I saw one of those blue trailers and some downed trees and two outhouses.

Any hatchets or knives around said trailer....

How far is the church up the road from the trailer or did I miss it?

How far is Milton from the damn trailer lol?

Lastly, if I start a new Wintermute run does it save over my current run? Or do we have more than one Story slot like with the Sandbox?

7 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Hide contents

How far is the church up the road from the trailer or did I miss it?

How far is Milton from the damn trailer lol?

Lastly, if I start a new Wintermute run does it save over my current run? Or do we have more than one Story slot like with the Sandbox?

You didn't miss it.. the church will be your next stop.

Milton is the next stop after the church.

I don't know if multiple Wintermute runs are possible. My guess is, no.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Hide contents

You didn't miss it.. the church will be your next stop.

Milton is the next stop after the church.

I don't know if multiple Wintermute runs are possible. My guess is, no.

Thank you.

Thank you.

And dammit...

Archived