Hi guys! 

How you doin? 

Well I think I said about it in a topic  for example 

• Tie his/ her shoes
  • Pull his/her winter coat zip up/down 
  • Look at his/her hand 

So what is your idea?

This is not world of war-craft so NO EMOS -1

I like my game to be serious survival, if they start adding emos then people would ask hey how about a wave to the camera, then how about break dancing a little no no not in TLD. 

17 hours ago, vancopower said:

This is not world of war-craft so NO EMOS -1

I like my game to be serious survival, if they start adding emos then people would ask hey how about a wave to the camera, then how about break dancing a little no no not in TLD. 

Well, to be honest, those aren't exactly "Emos", just idle animations of things people might just very well do.

I still disagree with the idea however, simply because idleness isn't something that really should be in the game (or any game at all, I guess) - if the game works as intended, those animations would be entirely unnecessary. 

A lack of user input doesn't necessarily mean the player is idle tho.

I've sat at a fire while warming up and not moved for a while. An idle animation of the character stretching out their hands to warm by the fire wouldn't go astray.

I've also sat in a snow shelter waiting for deer for a while. Since the player is relatively 'locked' in one, there is a bit of freedom for now much the animations move there - brushing some snow away, repositioning a little.

That all said I could do with some more first person presence just while walking. When walking in blizzards there could be a 'sheild face    from wind' animation (unobtrusively off to the side of course) when the sounds of particular strong wind plays. I've always been slightly taken aback from just how stoically the character walks head on into -40 windchill with only a slight drop in movement speed.

Tangent - the camera/player direction should get knocked around a little in strong wind - currently it is way to easy to keep a bearing. I currently am able to 'hit' a 10m wide target zone over half-map long treks with no change from my initial bearing simply because the character walks an iron straight path - something humans can't intrinsically do. When we walk, we meander and keep a true path using visual (or other) stimuli. When you remove these (like in a blizzard) we have trouble not walking in circles (without training etc). In game tho unless you move the mouse the character will keep a true course, meaning I can take a visual bearing on clear day, use it to make a 'gamey' localised reference useable in a blizzard (when I step leave the building, step back to the door, make to porch post flush with the left side of the screen and press and hold W until at location) to arrive at my destination 100% of the time no matter the weather. While in reality you can use a similar reference, the moment you step out into the blizzard you are using dead reckoning, and every step is a potential chance to waiver from true - Tangent end

Hmm ok I could accept something like: rubbing hands together with a comment about the cold, nose wiping if the survivor is sick, or touching the ankle or wrists if they are hurt, with a comment off-course, sneezing. In other words common reactions which are based on your overall condition. Otherwise anything else like making silly faces and other emmo type reactions will break the survivor immersion for me. TLD is a man's game there are plenty other children themed games, where you can play more with your character than playing the game, am I right or am I right :)       

What is this Emo thing - other then a fab in the early 2000's. Your description, as well as the strange dislike makes me think you are talking about something else - the question is about idle animations, where as I think you are thinking about complex set pieces animation that could be bound to a key, like the type that you might find in WoW - that is totally not the topic. 

13 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

A lack of user input doesn't necessarily mean the player is idle tho.

I've sat at a fire while warming up and not moved for a while. An idle animation of the character stretching out their hands to warm by the fire wouldn't go astray.

I've also sat in a snow shelter waiting for deer for a while. Since the player is relatively 'locked' in one, there is a bit of freedom for now much the animations move there - brushing some snow away, repositioning a little.

That all said I could do with some more first person presence just while walking. When walking in blizzards there could be a 'sheild face    from wind' animation (unobtrusively off to the side of course) when the sounds of particular strong wind plays.

Yes, ive always been an advocate for the hand warming animation and wind sheilding, it just would really put the players closer to the game world. The hand would be especially nice when braving the storm with a lantern in one hand AND the other hand sheilding the face.

3 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

The lantern in the hand is what made me think of shielding your face. When I was walking at night in a blizzard, every time the wind howled, I expected him to sorta raise the lantern to sheild his face with the arm holding it.

Yes, it caused the same sense for me too. It should only happen though if youre facing towards the wond though. I noticed those strong gusts actually do slow you down when facing them (not just a constant speed debuff, but consistent with when the gust sound plays) but just a little

These would be cool if implemented, but there are 1001 ideas that would like to see added first.

Really, which would you prefer?  A new animal being added...or after 10 minutes of standing and doing nothing your character unzips then rezips his jacket.

Yeah but ya see the thing is

A: there are a million things that could be added to the game. Does that mean we should only talk about the single most important thing and ignore all others?

B: its a lot easier to implement a static animation then it is an animal with its own AI.

C: why would you waste the time posting 'I think other things are better'? I think the dev's should give out a free blowy with every purchase of the game, but I dont go around to every post that isn't that suggestion and crap on it, so why are you swimming in my toilet?

3 hours ago, togg said:

Really good ideas! I think they can work in this direction, more interesting than seeing the hands for eating stuff for exemple.

I agree, eating animatioms would

A: be too much work

B: Exit you out of your inventory every time you eat or drink, which in my opinion would be a bit annoying

Also, eating doesnt need that much immersion, i mean, sipping tea by the fire would be nice but id much rather have them work on environmental interactions like warming hands by a fire or harvesting cattail

20 hours ago, Mikhail_Reign said:

Yeah but ya see the thing is

A: there are a million things that could be added to the game. Does that mean we should only talk about the single most important thing and ignore all others?

B: its a lot easier to implement a static animation then it is an animal with its own AI.

C: why would you waste the time posting 'I think other things are better'? I think the dev's should give out a free blowy with every purchase of the game, but I dont go around to every post that isn't that suggestion and crap on it, so why are you swimming in my toilet?

A: This is a discussion.  I am free to say I think an idea is bad or good.  I am also free to say even if it is good if I think it is is high priority, medium priority, or low priority.  I don't see why you are upset that I am bringing up my view on the priority of this item.

B: That's an example.  However time is still time.  I'd rather see time programming invested in a thousand different projects before this one.

C: I challenge the underlying assumptions statement C is based on.

At least bring something new to the convo man. Don't just whine about me calling ya out do whinging. Doesn't leave us anywhere to go -

yeah i I don't think an eating animation would be a good idea. It's something that happens a lot and so I think it would get tired quickly. 

Actually when I think of this idea, I think it would be better used on 'random' animation (blocking snow, coughing etc ) rather then giving repetitive tasks, such as eating or cooking, since they would be seen so often.

21 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I agree, eating animatioms would

A: be too much work

B: Exit you out of your inventory every time you eat or drink, which in my opinion would be a bit annoying

Also, eating doesnt need that much immersion, i mean, sipping tea by the fire would be nice but id much rather have them work on environmental interactions like warming hands by a fire or harvesting cattail

Exactly, there're a lot of character-environment relations to underline. And by looking at the roadmap that's the thing they're focusing on (low hanging fruit).

2 hours ago, togg said:

Exactly, there're a lot of character-environment relations to underline. And by looking at the roadmap that's the thing they're focusing on (low hanging fruit).

I always loved games that not just put you into a world, but actually put the PC in the world too. And by that i mean thst they actually react to the environment around them. 

Believe it or not, games by Naughty Dog, like The Last of Us, or Uncharted 3 and 4 has a lot of this, when you run by a fire your character raises his hand, or if you run by a wall theyll touch it for balance.

18 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I always loved games that not just put you into a world, but actually put the PC in the world too. And by that i mean thst they actually react to the environment around them. 

Believe it or not, games by Naughty Dog, like The Last of Us, or Uncharted 3 and 4 has a lot of this, when you run by a fire your character raises his hand, or if you run by a wall theyll touch it for balance.

Yes, we are thinking about the same examples. Luckly for us the devs know that part of the AAA world very well, I'm sure that with time they will deliver even more of that kind of experience.

Archived