Small landfill site !!!

alone sniper

Interesting location, to be sure. You wouldn't find much in the way of loot though - in Germany at least, trash is shredded to pieces before going to our (few) landfills. Could be a nice location for tools though, since most landfills come with some utility buildings, maybe even a small trash-burning power plant.

On the other hand though, would a full-sized landfill really have a place in such a close-to-nature region such as Great Bear Island? I'd imagine the bit of trash that accumulates there (let's face it, the biggest settlement is Coastal Highway, and there's probably less than a hundred people there during season) would either get shipped off and recycled (cans and stuff) or just burned indiscriminately because who cares about regulation?

I would like to see some kind of urban-ish setting at least in Story Mode though (the latest trailer seemed to imply as much at least to me), so maybe there a small landfill site near some kind of industrial area would make sense. 

I'd agree that a landfill would be useful in game, and, it'd only make sense for the island to have one. Almost all municipalities in Canada have at least one landfill, and almost none transport their refuse to other jurisdictions to get rid of it. Too expensive. But I think the idea that it'd automatically be a loot paradise is a little too optimistic. Great Bear Island seems to me to be a rather small, sparsely populated community. In most instances, a township would sell their recyclables soon after pickup, eliminating a vast amount of collectable scrap, and locals typically hoover up anything of use rather quickly. My local dump has some things I'd find useful in a disaster, but not much, and it services about 15,000 residence. Still, a very good idea for region diversity.

1 hour ago, Joelle Emmily said:

y local dump has some things I'd find useful in a disaster, but not much, and it services about 15,000 residence. Still, a very good idea for region diversity.

So, what could realistically be found? I'd be all set for a lot of veeery low condition foodstuffs (as in, almost ruined low), scrap metal, the occasional piece of leather... and that's it.

Oh, and before I forget it: Haven't seen you around yet, so welcome to the forums! ^_^ 

30 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

So, what could realistically be found? I'd be all set for a lot of veeery low condition foodstuffs (as in, almost ruined low), scrap metal, the occasional piece of leather... and that's it.

Oh, and before I forget it: Haven't seen you around yet, so welcome to the forums! ^_^ 

So, on any given week, my local landfill will have about 10 to 15 cathode-ray tube TVs, 0 to 5 flat screens, 5 to 30 old, VERY old, cell phones, assorted computer junk, 20 tons of paper products, 5 to 10 tons of plastics, 1 ton of compressed metal recycle, assorted batteries, assorted hazardous waste, several old water heaters, several fridges, several microwaves, several washing machines, and a sea of "waste", which is the crap people put into plastic bags before throwing out. On rare occasions there will be things like tarps and furniture. Oh, and plastic rain barrels.

Now, everything on this list is useful. The electronics can be used to build radios and beacons, the paper typically can't be easily burned because it's usually contaminated, but with some effort can be used, old electric motors can be harvested to build generators (wind or hydro), copper tubing is good for building cooling units, old water heaters can be used for storage tanks or heat exchanges, and the "waste" can be burned as a fuel. The problem is, that all that isn't really a lot. For example, the paper would be burned up in a mater of a few weeks, and would take weeks to properly dry out. And burning "waste" would not be very healthy.

By far, the one thing my community has that I'd jump on in a nanosecond, is the solar panel farm down the road. With salvaged copper from the landfill and the transformers on the site, I'd retask the output to make whatever equipment I had, and sit on easy street. I could probably grab a bunch of septic tanks from the local supply store, mount a bunch a couple tens of meters in the air, set the same number on the ground, during the day run a pump to fill the top tanks with water, and at night let gravity run a turbine to create electricity.

The nearby cell towers would also be a boon. They have generators and batteries, microwave transmitters, fibre and optic cables out to distant cities, structural steel, maybe sump pumps, and so forth.

And, I'm new, just registered yesterday and I've only been playing for a few weeks.

1 minute ago, Joelle Emmily said:

And, I'm new, just registered yesterday and I've only been playing for a few weeks.

Enjoy your stay ^_^ we're a weird bunch but good at heart, and there's usually som coffee :coffee:

The thing about generators and stuff is...well, what do you want to power with them? The game's premise is that anything electrical just stopped working for reasons as of yet unexplained (will be explained in story mode). So while you are certainly right with what you say, I don't think that this has a place in the game as it is. Though it could be a nice "final mission" in story mode to get a generator going. 

From the intro screen, I think it says that the magnetosphere has collapsed or something. Which is unrealistic as cosmic radiation would cook you if that happened. But, an EMP of some kind, maybe from a super novae, could have shorted out all electrical systems. BUT! Physics would still apply. An EMP would basically destroy the power grid, and melt transformers, but replacments not connected to the grid would be fine, and one could always build a new transformer easily. Power is not hard to generate, even chemically, so practically nothing could stop someone from bodging something together. But my example was what I'd do here, in real life. In the game, it depends on the tools they give us.

7 minutes ago, Joelle Emmily said:

From the intro screen, I think it says that the magnetosphere has collapsed or something. Which is unrealistic as cosmic radiation would cook you if that happened. But, an EMP of some kind, maybe from a super novae, could have shorted out all electrical systems. BUT! Physics would still apply. An EMP would basically destroy the power grid, and melt transformers, but replacments not connected to the grid would be fine, and one could always build a new transformer easily. Power is not hard to generate, even chemically, so practically nothing could stop someone from bodging something together. But my example was what I'd do here, in real life. In the game, it depends on the tools they give us.

Words of wisdom: We've had this discussion a thousand times right now ;) the loading screen says "geomagnetic disaster" and that's all we know and might as well be a placeholder. It'll all be revealed in story mode. Sure, your explanation isn't wrong, but who's to say that the Event is completely grounded in science? For all we know, it could be CERN malfunctioning, aliens invading or Cthulhu rising. Until it gets revealed, there is little point in discussing what we know nothing about.

EDIT: Just in case I sound hostile here or something, I'm actually trying not to. English is just not my native tongue. Thank you for your understanding.

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Words of wisdom: We've had this discussion a thousand times right now ;) the loading screen says "geomagnetic disaster" and that's all we know and might as well be a placeholder. It'll all be revealed in story mode. Sure, your explanation isn't wrong, but who's to say that the Event is completely grounded in science? For all we know, it could be CERN malfunctioning, aliens invading or Cthulhu rising. Until it gets revealed, there is little point in discussing what we know nothing about.

EDIT: Just in case I sound hostile here or something, I'm actually trying not to. English is just not my native tongue. Thank you for your understanding.

I didn't think you were being hostile, and I KNOW it's been discussed infinitum, but I never said that I wanted electricity in the game. If one of the precept is no electricity, or compasses, that's fine, I'll figure things out with what I'm given. I love challenges, and I'd love finding ways around things. If there was no electricity, I'd use mechanical energy to do things, like use a vacuum pump running on a water wheel, to evaporate water, to cool food in the summer. Stuff like that, everything has multiple solutions.

Just now, Joelle Emmily said:

I didn't think you were being hostile, and I KNOW it's been discussed infinitum, but I never said that I wanted electricity in the game. If one of the precept is no electricity, or compasses, that's fine, I'll figure things out with what I'm given. I love challenges, and I'd love finding ways around things. If there was no electricity, I'd use mechanical energy to do things, like use a vacuum pump running on a water wheel, to evaporate water, to cool food in the summer. Stuff like that, everything has multiple solutions.

That sounds like a good concept - I've seen planting mentioned together with seasons, so maybe something to build an irrigation system with could be a nice idea I guess. Also, maybe a small mechanical mill to make flour?

Archived