reason to have fireplace/stove going, other than cooking

stray_cur

Like below (one of the first shared images of the game).  As great a look and feel this scene has to it, it isn't a (practical) thing that happens in the game - essentially a waste of wood.  There's that potbelly stove upstairs at the Camp Office next to the bed, just sitting there, wishing for a reason to be used.

So, how to make this practical / necessary?  Maybe don't make interiors so warm to begin with, and let a fire warm them up slowly (2 fires warming them up quicker) -- and then they shouldn't cool down so fast after the fire is out either.  

It would (should) be a beautiful necessity, which is what it's all about.

NSiRVr9.jpg

or devs remove that fire place up stairs? I think they tend to adjust buildings and environment settings all the time. i.e who uses it?

Then I remember I did use it a few times when i first started out, but why did I use it?

A: Because it was there and I thought it must be used or I didn't realise there was a kitchen below. :)

've often thought it would good if the different stove types had different properties or features. Such as longer burn times or fuel capacities for the larger ones, varying heat out-puts and cooking times, maybe?

I know there are improvements for firemaking and cooking on the roadmap, and I'm interested in what we'll see from these. But I've always felt it ought to be 'easier' (somehow) to cook or boil water on a stove rather than on an open fire.

As for having more use for burning fires and stoves indoors purely for heat: I'm all for it. The way the game interprets body-heat doesn't favour this though - you only need to be gaining warmth to be ok, which means as long as it feels like at least +1 degree C there's no incentive to get your home warm up quickly after being freezing. It's a shame really, because it doesn't quite feel right, intuitively. I feel like I should be coming in from the icy blizzard and immediately getting a fire going to warm up - but there's no point, because I'm indoors and warming up without a fire anyway.

57 minutes ago, Pillock said:

've often thought it would good if the different stove types had different properties or features. Such as longer burn times or fuel capacities for the larger ones, varying heat out-puts and cooking times, maybe?

I know there are improvements for firemaking and cooking on the roadmap, and I'm interested in what we'll see from these. But I've always felt it ought to be 'easier' (somehow) to cook or boil water on a stove rather than on an open fire.

As for having more use for burning fires and stoves indoors purely for heat: I'm all for it. The way the game interprets body-heat doesn't favour this though - you only need to be gaining warmth to be ok, which means as long as it feels like at least +1 degree C there's no incentive to get your home warm up quickly after being freezing. It's a shame really, because it doesn't quite feel right, intuitively. I feel like I should be coming in from the icy blizzard and immediately getting a fire going to warm up - but there's no point, because I'm indoors and warming up without a fire anyway.

I'm a REALLY wasteful player, I guess. I start fires all the time because they feel cozy and help me with a feeling of realism.

A few things a fire does for you, at least in my RL-experience:

• Keeps you warm (This is already in the game)
  • Lets you cook food (Same)
  • Provides light (Same)
  • Keeps wildlife away (Not sure, is this in the game? I rarely have fires outdoors in the game since there are so many shelters in my favorite maps)
  • Provides wellbeing (Definitely not in the game yet, but a nice addition I think!)
  • Dries your clothes
  • Also keeps insects away a bit
  • It smells nice ;) 

I know people have said they don't want to play a Sims like game, but being one of those players who actually like realism...

I can see needing to at least do a bit of bathing (wetting a cloth, cleaning the grimier parts of the body such as face, hands, pits, unmentionable areas, feet, and hair) would only take like 10 in game minutes. When I was in middle school, my mother and I lived in a house where the water heater stopped working, so for a good while, until we could afford to replace it, we wound up heating water on the stove for bathing and mixed it with cold water as needed.

Add to that, maybe the need to disinfect tools such as the knife.

Bone broth, stews, soups other than just canned tomato... I mean, canned tomato soup is good, but it gets old quick without spicing it up.

Um, something I thought would be a good idea as well would have pelts curing at a faster rate the warmer the indoor area is.

Others have mentioned that it would be great to have other sources of useful items from animals, such as bear fat (though I suppose fat from any animal could be drained as used), and one could make candles out of it using the stove.

Unfortunately, I also see the downside of constantly heating a building such as the camp office and others. In a survival situation, you would probably want to acclimate yourself to the weather and climate.

I thought it also might be nice if we could make our own jerky out of venison and rabbit which I would hope would last longer than just cooked meats.

Without all that, there really isn't any incentive to use the fire except for the times when you need to fill up on water, make coffee or tea, or heat up or cook the other cookable or heatable foodstuffs. If you manage your time well, you won't be hurting for light during the day, and I noticed the male character seems to get around in the dark better than the female character.

I would also like the ability to warm up houses with a nice fire. It'd be really nice to leave a bed of coals behind to smolder and keep the house at 5C for the day as opposed to the disconnect between interior and exterior temperatures right now.

@Patrick Carlson has this come up with the devs?  Seems a simple thing and would improve the feel, ambiance, realism.  I'm wondering the reasoning for it not being so.  

Because Hinterland shared the pic above I would think @Raphael van Lierop & co. would agree that the scene be more than just a pretty waste of wood - as it so naturally could be.

Suggestion: 

#1 Set buildings to have the same temperature as outdoors.  Building interiors get rated 1-10, 1 being very small   3 being trappers cabin 5 being mystery lake cabin barn being 10.  In some instances individual rooms would have a rating.  Rooms will warm up some due to body heat of the player.  How much and how quick is based on how big the room is.  Lantern, torch, and fire also warm up the room.  Stoves etc even keep on giving off heat once fire is out, based on heat of fire.  (The metal was warmed up, it's why potbellied stoves were invented and replaced fire-places, they warmed rooms much better)

#2 give small bonus to start fire in fireplace and a larger bonus in stoves

#3 give the ability to bank coals, possible in fireplace, easier in stove (maybe possible outdoors but only when the windshield icon is up) How long the banked coals stay able to start a new flaming fire is based on how long the previous fire burned, so stirring up a good fire every night has a purpose.

Because wood becomes more critical, let the sharpening stones last forever, but double the time it takes to sharpen something,.

These combine to give you a reason to have a fire going in the stoves.

Archived