Anyone else do this?

mjv96

It's a very time consuming task but boy does it help at night and in a blizzard. I've got trails all over the water front of Coastal Highway. 1 stick, 1 magnifying glass, and a mind numbing amount of RL time gives me some protection should I find myself on the water in a blizzard.

20160820164504_1.jpg

20160820164549_1.jpg

20160820164602_1.jpg

On 8/20/2016 at 5:51 PM, Thurman Merman said:

I use cat tails and tinder plugs.  But, I make directional signs:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/355043117510951834/

ya i tried that in the past but they didn't come out that well. still a decent use for tinder plugs once they become pointless.

Thanks Dirmagnos and Wastelander - time-consuming it was indeed but I've yet to get lost and die by blizzard since I did that. I count about 10 "steps" and then just turn 90 degrees to the left and light up another fire. made me think that it would be nice instead of no longer needing fire plugs / tinder, that instead those items would make it easier to light a fire / maintain a fire in windy situations.

I make trails as well, mainly in the area's where navigation marks are hard to see in a blizzard or in fog. But I use sticks for marking the trails. They are harder to spot but if you drop them close enough together they are easy enough to follow. I combine this with small stashes of a couple of water bottles and some logs at the shelters my trails lead to. That way trails always lead to a nearby location where I can wait out the worst of it.

@mjv96 nice! but to much work lighting all those fires if you ask me.

I prefer to just drop tinder plugs to mark areas that I need to find.

If you have enough tinder you can get creative and place on the ground and write out signs such as direction arrows / letters etc. -->

2 hours ago, junglegreen said:

Yes also in the mines mark the right tunnels  to take.   My oddity is to turn down the visors in all vehicles,  don't know  what I hope to find but it help marks vehicles I have searched.

also open mail boxes of houses I have searched if they have one.

I do the same thing here but I also open the hood to the cars to see from a distance. 

Archived