poisoning wolf (maybe bear!!)??? (poll!)

alone sniper

poisoning wolf   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, wasteful, and completely ineffective.  Die after a day? Well it has that entire day to wander far, far away from you if you aren't following it. Hunting for animals that have run far off is a huge pain and the blood trail system is not very good. So, no, given the current tracking mechanics, there is no way I would opt for anything other than the current methods of shooting or stabbing wildlife.

I voted 'nope' because it

• Is unnecessary
  • Takes up valuable system resources
  • Is unrealistic, given the lack of toxics found in the wild in Canada

I'm not against having some poisoned bait, but we're gonna need a pretty potent poison for that one. Until we get this it's a nope from me.

Also a no vote for the reasons outlined above.

You'd have better luck with leg hold or other traps to cull the wolf population. Especially since there's already trappers on the island meaning their equipment should be around somewhere as well.

37 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Also a no vote for the reasons outlined above.

You'd have better luck with leg hold or other traps to cull the wolf population. Especially since there's already trappers on the island meaning their equipment should be around somewhere as well.

A wolf stuck in a trap would chew off it's own leg to survive 

Ok here are my thoughts...

1. Poison is never a good plan for any animal you might want to eat, use the wrong poison, and you can't ever eat it.

2. Steel-traps are designed to prevent escape. I actually have experience using them. A properly sized trap does not as most people think catch an animal by the wrist or ankle, but by the long bones above the joint. These bones are extremely difficult to simply chew through, and most animals that attempt to do so bleed to death before succeeding. The idea that animals will chew off their leg to escape is mostly legend and Hollywood. Experienced trappers do not have this issue.

34 minutes ago, miah999 said:

Ok here are my thoughts...

1. Poison is never a good plan for any animal you might want to eat, use the wrong poison, and you can't ever eat it.

2. Steel-traps are designed to prevent escape. I actually have experience using them. A properly sized trap does not as most people think catch an animal by the wrist or ankle, but by the long bones above the joint. These bones are extremely difficult to simply chew through, and most animals that attempt to do so bleed to death before succeeding. The idea that animals will chew off their leg to escape is mostly legend and Hollywood. Experienced trappers do not have this issue.

I seen it on documentarys and I didn't say that the wolfs always survive 

10 minutes ago, miah999 said:

It was likely the result of using the wrong size trap. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but if you know what you're doing it should be a once in a lifetime event.

It should be skilled based. The higher the level, The harder it is for wolfs to escape.

We wouldn't be able to eat the meat afterwards, but we could clear paths! Both wolves and bears have good noses, and would smell meat (with rat poison or berries). They would possibly eat it, and either weaken, or die. The player can travel safely for a while now. 

23 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I voted 'nope' because it

• Is unnecessary
  • Takes up valuable system resources
  • Is unrealistic, given the lack of toxics found in the wild in Canada

I'm not against having some poisoned bait, but we're gonna need a pretty potent poison for that one. Until we get this it's a nope from me.

What about weakening the animal?

Poisons are very indiscriminate. If you ever get a companion canine it may eat the bait and die as well. Most poisons also require a certain dose to be effective. Bears could eat a lot of poison before going down. Lastly, as you pointed out, predators have a great sense of smell. If the poison has a smell they may avoid it as something suspicious.

Again, I'd rather see leg hold traps. They fit better with the theme and have a proven efficacy versus leaving poison everywhere.

16 hours ago, sir ice said:

What about weakening the animal?

That I could get behind at, but exactly what substance would we use? Strong anesthetics? Something found in nature? A few threads ago I looked into the topic of poisoning weapons (which I am strongly against) and did some research on Canadian flora, which sort of lacks really 'good' toxic plants and mushrooms. As for anesthetics, do they work if administered orally through bait, and wouldn't animals smell them out?

Anyhow, I also believe that leg traps are a much smarter choice here - considering we already have a Trapper's Cabin in the game which is shamefully devoid of actual traps ;) However, one question about commercially-made traps persists - are they even legal to use in the area? Because if they're illegal (I know they are in Germany, but Canada has probably a much stronger hunting culture than we do), finding one, let alone in decent condition, would be highly unlikely, though not impossible - if everyone upheld the laws at every time, the police would be out of a job.

However, since we're pretty much derailing the thread here, and traps have been discussed numerous times already, I'll stop here 

I never said it wouldn't work, only that wouldn't want to eat it, and that would be wasteful.

Which kind of knife trap?

I know how to make a couple different ones. And they could defiantly be a use for all those extra knives I keep finding.

True, it has been done @alone sniper, however, your sources state strychnine as the primary poison to be used which is very hard to come by these days, especially in Northern Canada, given that the tree that primarily produces it grows on the other side of the pacific ocean ;) As you said, it's not unrealistic per se, but in the area we play in it very much is, unfortunately, unless someone was really dedicated and brought a few dozen cans of the commercially produced stuff, which would most likely be a government agency. Also, strychnine is also toxic to humans and has some veeery bad effects when inhaled. The other compounds listed are even more dangerous and shouldn't be handled without protective gear as well, so unless we also get some really good chemical gloves and a gas mask, I don't really see how our Survivor could safely handle this.

1 minute ago, miah999 said:

I never said it wouldn't work, only that wouldn't want to eat it, and that would be wasteful.

Which kind of knife trap?

I know how to make a couple different ones. And they could defiantly be a use for all those extra knives I keep finding.

This : 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_hunting#Knife_traps

but i heard it is not true. 

3 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

True, it has been done @alone sniper, however, your sources state strychnine as the primary poison to be used which is very hard to come by these days, especially in Northern Canada, given that the tree that primarily produces it grows on the other side of the pacific ocean ;) As you said, it's not unrealistic per se, but in the area we play in it very much is, unfortunately, unless someone was really dedicated and brought a few dozen cans of the commercially produced stuff, which would most likely be a government agency. Also, strychnine is also toxic to humans and has some veeery bad effects when inhaled. The other compounds listed are even more dangerous and shouldn't be handled without protective gear as well, so unless we also get some really good chemical gloves and a gas mask, I don't really see how our Survivor could safely handle this.

I understand . 

Thanks for let me know!!! ^_^

Archived