poisoning wolf (maybe bear!!)??? (poll!)

alone sniper

poisoning wolf   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never heard of that, and the page indicates it's likely a myth.

However, I know of a couple of torsion devices that can be made from saplings, bindings, and a knife. They usually use a tripwire or similar trigger, but they're not very reliable.

2 hours ago, Wastelander said:

That I could get behind at, but exactly what substance would we use? Strong anesthetics? Something found in nature? A few threads ago I looked into the topic of poisoning weapons (which I am strongly against) and did some research on Canadian flora, which sort of lacks really 'good' toxic plants and mushrooms. As for anesthetics, do they work if administered orally through bait, and wouldn't animals smell them out?

Anyhow, I also believe that leg traps are a much smarter choice here - considering we already have a Trapper's Cabin in the game which is shamefully devoid of actual traps ;) However, one question about commercially-made traps persists - are they even legal to use in the area? Because if they're illegal (I know they are in Germany, but Canada has probably a much stronger hunting culture than we do), finding one, let alone in decent condition, would be highly unlikely, though not impossible - if everyone upheld the laws at every time, the police would be out of a job.

However, since we're pretty much derailing the thread here, and traps have been discussed numerous times already, I'll stop here 

Rat poison.

14 minutes ago, sir ice said:

Rat poison.

Just don't eat the meat. Most modern rodent poison is hemolytic, the little buggers die from internal bleeding, or drown in their own blood. The poison usually stays in the victim, and would be passed on to you if you eat it. Also I doubt you get get a wolf to eat enough to do anything.

If this wasn't permanent winter, there are some natural substances that could possibly be used to knock a wolf out, but again the chances of getting a wolf to eat it are pretty low.

The poisons used during the wolf eradication campaigns were quite specialized, and were never intended to make for edible meat. I doubt you be able to find any equivalent these days.

Old style antifreeze could work, it's sweet and attracts many animals to drink it, they'll die soon after, usually of kidney failure. But again I don't think you should eat the meat. 

The last issue with poison, is finding the animal after it has died, many poisons take at least 72 hours to kill an animal as large as a wolf. And with no blood trail to follow the body will be very hard to find.

If roving wolf packs were a serious threat to some necessary outdoor activity like farming, then maybe having a "poison perimeter" could make sense, but since our goal as survivors is to eat and collect pelts poison just may not be a useful tool.

5 hours ago, miah999 said:

If roving wolf packs were a serious threat to some necessary outdoor activity like farming, then maybe having a "poison perimeter" could make sense, but since our goal as survivors is to eat and collect pelts poison just may not be a useful tool.

And that's the problem with poisons in a nut shell.

As for traps, you can still make a living being a professional trapper in Canada. You need special permits and licenses and not all traps are legal but you can definitely find them. Not in every location or home but specialized areas (e.g. the trapper's cabin) would certainly have steel leg hold traps. Whether large enough to catch a wolf is debatable (I don't think you can tap them) but certainly they would exist.

Just now, cekivi said:

And that's the problem with poisons in a nut shell.

As for traps, you can still make a living being a professional trapper in Canada. You need special permits and licenses and not all traps are legal but you can definitely find them. Not in every location or home but specialized areas (e.g. the trapper's cabin) would certainly have steel leg hold traps. Whether large enough to catch a wolf is debatable (I don't think you can tap them) but certainly they would exist.

Trapping is actually a thing still here in West Virginia as well, mostly for small fur animals like mink, and the like, steel traps are available in large supply just down the street from my house and I live in the state's second largest city. If traps are added, the Trapper's Homestead, and the Gas Station would be likely places to find them.

As for trapping wolves that's illegal most places, but that may change as the population continues to grow. We don't have wolves here just wild dogs.

6 hours ago, miah999 said:

Just don't eat the meat. Most modern rodent poison is hemolytic, the little buggers die from internal bleeding, or drown in their own blood. The poison usually stays in the victim, and would be passed on to you if you eat it. Also I doubt you get get a wolf to eat enough to do anything.

If this wasn't permanent winter, there are some natural substances that could possibly be used to knock a wolf out, but again the chances of getting a wolf to eat it are pretty low.

The poisons used during the wolf eradication campaigns were quite specialized, and were never intended to make for edible meat. I doubt you be able to find any equivalent these days.

Old style antifreeze could work, it's sweet and attracts many animals to drink it, they'll die soon after, usually of kidney failure. But again I don't think you should eat the meat. 

The last issue with poison, is finding the animal after it has died, many poisons take at least 72 hours to kill an animal as large as a wolf. And with no blood trail to follow the body will be very hard to find.

Of course you couldn't eat it! There are many maps where you will get attacked multiple times, and poisoning the local animals would help you get through.

Except the animals will re-spawn, there won't be any long term benefit, and you'll miss out on the meat and furs. 

You wouldn't want to be starving, wishing you hadn't poisoned the only food you could find.

But hey that's just how I feel about it.

Archived