This may smell bad, kid, but it'll keep you warm until I get the shelter up

gandalffox

Dear Hinterland,

I'm not sure if someone has already asked this. But it would be cool if in the future you introduce a gutting mechanic in which in desperate situations you can crawl inside of a freshly dead animal and sleep inside, using the warmth of the animals inside for shelter. I have heard multiple stories where people have survived this way and did u notice it in The Revenant ;)?

I'd like to see what people think ^_^

5 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

This.

Even the grizzlies have rather small body cavities. 

Now sticking a newborn baby inside a deer carcass a la Moses in the basket, that might be doable ...

7 hours ago, Wastelander said:

I reckon that dead bodies use their warmth extremely quick in such conditions. Also, wouldn't anyone doing this risk, like, all infections conceivable and then a few? Also, most wildlife encountered in TLD doesn't seem large enough to crawl into.

I'm not completely sure about body sizes. But I believe you might be able to fit inside a moose if they introduce them? Also, the body is better warmth than the outside, so it would at-least protect you for a while, and there might be an increased chance of infection but that would be part of the gamble, I'm not sure you would necessarily die from it though, if treated afterwards - this kind of thing has been done many times in real life. 

On 15.5.2016 at 5:49 AM, gandalffox said:

Dear Hinterland,

I'm not sure if someone has already asked this. But it would be cool if in the future you introduce a gutting mechanic in which in desperate situations you can crawl inside of a freshly dead animal and sleep inside, using the warmth of the animals inside for shelter. I have heard multiple stories where people have survived this way and did u notice it in The Revenant ;)?

I'd like to see what people think ^_^

This is what Han Solo did in Star Wars to save Luke, but let's leave the Hollywood out of TLD. Bear Grylls did the opposite in one of his shows, he entered a camel to hide himself from the sun and protect his skin from burning up. In TLD you are not traveling light you got 40 KG's of items with you so ... I just don't like the idea sorry

Just now, vancopower said:

This is what Han Solo did in Star Wars to save Luke, but let's leave the Hollywood out of TLD. Bear Grylls did the opposite in one of his shows, he entered a camel to hide himself from the sun and protect his skin from burning up. In TLD you are not traveling light you got 40 KG's of items with you so ... I just don't like the idea sorry

Firstly, the game isn't the most realistic thing ever so I mean if you want to talk 40KGS of items maybe we should talk about food curing if they are going to introduce seasons?

Or the fact that if you leave your stuff outside it doesn't freeze.

You are just sleeping - its like a sleeping bag with a warmth bonus for a certain amount of time. 

And secondly this isn't just Hollywood, the Revenant is based on a real guy Hugh Glass, and there are multiple other stories, one near to my home town where a guy was hunting in winter and fell of a cliff, he survived because his horse took the fall but his legs where severely broken so he couldn't walk, to survive until someone found him, he slept through the cold night inside the horse. 

1 minute ago, gandalffox said:

Firstly, the game isn't the most realistic thing ever so I mean if you want to talk 40KGS of items maybe we should talk about food curing if they are going to introduce seasons?

Or the fact that if you leave your stuff outside it doesn't freeze.

You are just sleeping - its like a sleeping bag with a warmth bonus for a certain amount of time. 

And secondly this isn't just Hollywood, the Revenant is based on a real guy Hugh Glass, and there are multiple other stories, one near to my home town where a guy was hunting in winter and fell of a cliff, he survived because his horse took the fall but his legs where severely broken so he couldn't walk, to survive until someone found him, he slept through the cold night inside the horse. 

Yea ok but still it is kind of unreal for TLD. How is deer carcass going to protect you from -40 degrees if you haven't noticed it takes an hour for the bodies to go from 0% frozen to 100% frozen so I don't think that you can get through the night even if you enter the deer. In fact you would make it much worse, the blood will become ice and you will freeze to ice cube faster then quick dry cement. It just doesn't fit in TLD.

50 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Yea ok but still it is kind of unreal for TLD. How is deer carcass going to protect you from -40 degrees if you haven't noticed it takes an hour for the bodies to go from 0% frozen to 100% frozen so I don't think that you can get through the night even if you enter the deer. In fact you would make it much worse, the blood will become ice and you will freeze to ice cube faster then quick dry cement. It just doesn't fit in TLD.

Firstly, I'm not talking the night in the TLD, that was just an example - only like a few hours to try and pass or get through a blizzard etc. 

And if you have sufficient clothing that moose carcass etc. might just help you get through that crucial moment. 

Five things:

1. Mythbusters has an episode on this subject. It is possible to survive inside an animal carcass.
  2. Animal cavities are very warm and if you leave the skin and guts on them it will remain warm for some time (easily a few hours).
  3. Everything will eventually cool off after which you'll be coated in fluid in below zero temperatures
  4. A frozen carcass won't help you at all. It needs to be fresh
  5. Deer aren't big enough to crawl into. Moose (similar in size to a horse) maybe depending on your size.

As a whole - not practical. Now, using a fresh carcass to keep your hands warm so you can use your fingers to build a fire or shelter is definitely something possible.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Five things:

1. Mythbusters has an episode on this subject. It is possible to survive inside an animal carcass.
  2. Animal cavities are very warm and if you leave the skin and guts on them it will remain warm for some time (easily a few hours).
  3. Everything will eventually cool off after which you'll be coated in fluid in below zero temperatures
  5. Deer aren't big enough to crawl into. Moose (similar in size to a horse) maybe depending on your size.

As a whole - not practical. Now, using a fresh carcass to keep your hands warm so you can use your fingers to build a fire or shelter is definitely something possible.

Interesting. Just a few things. I only meant fresh carcasses - If newly shot or killed by a wolf etc.

And with the fluid thing I suppose there might be a counteracting thing. Like it depends how good the clothes you are wearing as to whether its worthwhile crawling inside the a carcass - It would also depend how long you stayed in, if only for an hour or so you wouldn't be covered in freezing fluid and you could try and make a dash for it I'm not sure. 

However I do really like your idea of using it to warm your fingers; I just had the idea but wasn't sure completely how it could be utilised - that sounds a pretty cool plan. 

What do you think Hinterland? ^_^ 

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Five things:

I can attest to the whole keeping your hands warm thing. I have fond memories of vet school large animal ambulatory in February in Minnesota (this was 25 years ago, when the world was 20 degrees C cooler than it is now (:winky:). The only part of me that was warm in that freezing dairy barn was the arm I was sticking up the cows' rectums . . . 

• 2 months later...

Yes T for teen, also blood, tobacco, alcohol, language, and violence. Depending on how the depict it exactly, it should not effect the rating.

While true animal cruelty would up them to an M, crawling into a gutted deer, or moose is no worse than gutting the deer or moose in the first place.

P.s. DocterRok, could you put all your suggestions into one big post, you know to get a look at your big picture.

12 minutes ago, miah999 said:

Yes T for teen, also blood, tobacco, alcohol, language, and violence. Depending on how the depict it exactly, it should not effect the rating.

While true animal cruelty would up them to an M, crawling into a gutted deer, or moose is no worse than gutting the deer or moose in the first place.

P.s. DocterRok, could you put all your suggestions into one big post, you know to get a look at your big picture.

damn son, ok man, i'll make a dump. ;)

On 18.5.2016 at 3:25 AM, hauteecolerider said:

I can attest to the whole keeping your hands warm thing. I have fond memories of vet school large animal ambulatory in February in Minnesota (this was 25 years ago, when the world was 20 degrees C cooler than it is now (:winky:). The only part of me that was warm in that freezing dairy barn was the arm I was sticking up the cows' rectums . . . 

I got that reference and I don't know how to feel about this.

Back on topic, I get the point, but is it really necessary to implement this? This is highly situational at best. 

Archived